InstantClassic

McShay’s First Mock

It’s not sexy, but it’s a necessity. I don’t know this guy, but we need OL help so if he’s the best OL available you’ve gotta take him. 

• Upvote 2

Trade down. get more picks. Draft Trey Adams, who when healthy is as good or better than Thomas.

• Upvote 2

Andrew Thomas, OT Georgia is currently rated as the top OLINE prospect but a lot can change from now up to the draft. If we stay at pick #7 or somehow land a few picks closer I think we would be in prime position for a trade down, accumulate picks to truly have the resources to rebuild. Currently it looks like there are 3 QBs that are worthy of a top 5-7 pick (Burrows, Tagovaola, and Hebert). By the time the draft roles around and the QB hype is in full swing maybe even 1 or 2 more. We would be in prime position to trade with the Chargers, Raiders, Carolina, or anyone else that may be looking to land a potential franchise QB.  If the top QBs go 1,2, and 3 (most likely through trades) , we will be in a great position to draft Chase Young and (hopefully) solve our edge rushing position or the top OLINE player or Wr. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Every year I call for a trade down and we never do it so I have given up on that.  Maybe Douglas will be different.

Same here, but there is at least hope with the unknown in Douglas. I'd also be ok, if we had no way to trade down,  taking Chase Young, or the best OLINE-man or Wr. 

40 minutes ago, InstantClassic said:

Has us taking Andrew Thomas, OT Georgia. I haven’t watched much Georgia football this year..how would you feel if the Jets took hook at their current slated slot at 7?

Love it.  If Thomas is there at #7 we have to take him.  I saw the Mock as well.  McShay Edge rusher Chase Young, and WRs Jeudy and Lamb both gone before the Jets pick so Thomas becomes a no-brainer.  It's only if those other guys are still there does a debate even take place....although I'd still probably take Thomas.

The question is if Thomas is gone.  Do you reach and take another OLineman at #7 who is more of a #12-20 prospect, or do you "take what the Draft gives you" at WR and then come back for OLine in Rounds 2 and 3?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

I can’t see him being there at 7

but it would be a homerun 

I would take him at 1 if we had the first pick

Wouldn't take him at #1 but I agree that it would be a homerun if he falls to the Jets at #7 (or wherever they end up).

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Every year I call for a trade down and we never do it so I have given up on that.  Maybe Douglas will be different.

One of the things we’ve heard a lot about Douglas is just how well connected he is around the league. I’m hoping that leads to more effective trades for the team. I love a good trade down myself, and in a draft supposedly rich in OL and WR, it would be pretty ideal to have more picks. 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Love it.  If Thomas is there at #7 we have to take him.  I saw the Mock as well.  McShay Edge rusher Chase Young, and WRs Jeudy and Lamb both gone before the Jets pick so Thomas becomes a no-brainer.  It's only if those other guys are still there does a debate even take place....although I'd still probably take Thomas.

The question is if Thomas is gone.  Do you reach and take another OLineman at #7 who is more of a #12-20 prospect, or do you "take what the Draft gives you" at WR and then come back for OLine in Rounds 2 and 3?

If Thomas (and Young are gone) there might be a chance that one of the top 3 QBs are still on the board. Currently Burrow, Tags, and Herbert) are slated to go in the top 8. Figure by draft the hype will be even stronger for them. We might have a good chance of trading somewhere between 12-20 and land the next best OLINE prospect after Thomas. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, InstantClassic said:

Has us taking Andrew Thomas, OT Georgia. I haven’t watched much Georgia football this year..how would you feel if the Jets took hook at their current slated slot at 7?

Has he declared? 

Either way, that would be groovy.  Just dont think Thomas last's till 7.  He's one of the better LT prospects to come out in awhile, IMO.  If you were creating an ideal LT prospect in a machine, Thomas would come out.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, slats said:

One of the things we’ve heard a lot about Douglas is just how well connected he is around the league.

We have?

As others have said, I can’t see Thomas being there for us.

But if he somehow is, then yeah, you absolutely take him.

And I say screw trading down. If you want more picks, trade Adams. The Jets are going to be in prime position to land one of the Top 2 OT’s or WR’s where they are right now.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

If Thomas (and Young are gone) there might be a chance that one of the top 3 QBs are still on the board. Currently Burrow, Tags, and Herbert) are slated to go in the top 8. Figure by draft the hype will be even stronger for them. We might have a good chance of trading somewhere between 12-20 and land the next best OLINE prospect after Thomas. 

Definitely.  My preferred option in almost any scenario is to trade  back and try to accumulate additional picks.  Right now there are only a few players that, if they slid to the Jets in the 7-10 range, I'd stay put and take.  Young, Jeudy and Thomas are worth sticking and picking!

7 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

We have?

Those of us paying attention, yes. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Andrew Thomas, OT Georgia is currently rated as the top OLINE prospect but a lot can change from now up to the draft.  

There are at least 3 top quality arguably blue chip OT Prospects in the 2020 draft 

by the time workouts are over Thomas might be 3rd of the 3

(Jedrick Wilks - Bama and Tristan Wirfs - Iowa are the other 2)  

Wirfs is my favorite because I'm a sucker for workout measurable 

so there is a scenario where Thomas is not taken at 7, because other tackles went higher 

The range the Jets will be in will be a sweet spot for picking a top OT or WR. I would love Thomas if available, or a guy like Lamb at WR.

I like trading down generally, but would really find it hard to pass on a top LT prospect or true #1 WR if available.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

Those of us paying attention, yes. 

He certainly seems well connected to Belichick, I'll give you that.

Could anyone post his summary for the pick if they have it available, or was it just the names  1-32 and nothing more?

Like most said I would be thrilled to nab him at 7, but I truthfully feel he will be the Dolphins pick, and then taking their Qb with their next selection 

I hope not, but thats my feeling right now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

There are at least 3 top quality arguably blue chip OT Prospects in the 2020 draft 

by the time workouts are over Thomas might be 3rd of the 3

(Jedrick Wilks - Bama and Tristan Wirfs - Iowa are the other 2)  

Wirfs is my favorite because I'm a sucker for workout measurable 

so there is a scenario where Thomas is not taken at 7, because other tackles went higher 

Dane Brugler’s latest mock actually had Thomas as the third OT taken (he prefers Wills).  Take that for what it’s worth, but he said that Thomas is not the can’t miss prospect that a lot of people are making him out to be.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Well I, for one, am shocked that the Jets don't listen to you.

If they did we would not have drafted Hackenburg, Lee, Polite, Quinnen Williams, virtually no olineman of note for 5 years.

Perhaps the Jets should be listening?

• Upvote 1

FWIW, I have started watching tape of the OL and (it's early), but I think I like Wills more than Wirfs or Thomas. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, maury77 said:

FWIW, I have started watching tape of the OL and (it's early), but I think I like Wills more than Wirfs or Thomas. 

Wills moves nice doesn’t he?  I’m a big fan.  I brought him up a while ago in the draft forum when someone was talking about Leatherwood.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If they did we would not have drafted Hackenburg, Lee, Polite, Quinnen Williams, virtually no olineman of note for 5 years.

Perhaps the Jets should be listening?

• Haha 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company