Darnold Climbing List of All-time Great Jets

Barry McCockinner

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

A bit of a dumb way to frame numbers. This is similar to how the top ten would look for the majority of NFL franchises. 1-3 legends at the top, a few decent guys after and then sh*t. The modern NFL is only something like 50 years old. Not exactly a ton of time to be building up depth for franchise numbers.

Most QB's of any note get at least 5 years.  In the past 50 years of the mostly-modern passing NFL, that's about 10 QB's of note over that time.  More (and shorter) for bad QB teams.  Materially less for great QB teams over that period.

Basically, playing two seasons of 2019-era QB puts you at #10 or so all-time on most teams, I'd wager.

18 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Excellent point.

Lamar Jackson would be ranked 14th on this list - behind Pat Ryan and just ahead of Neil O'Donnell.

He has thrown for 4,090 yards.  1,417 fewer yards than Darnold.

Would you take Darnold over LJax? There’s a poll for that!

18 minutes ago, jgb said:

Would you take Darnold over LJax? There’s a poll for that!

In fairness, I should have added that Lamar would likely pass Bruce Harper on the Jets all-time rushing list this week.

To answer your question, I would stick with Darnold.  I think Lamar is an amazing football player and is unquestionably the MVP this season, but he was drafted by the right team at the right time. If Lamar was a Jet and Darnold were a Raven, the Jets would still be terrible and the Ravens would be AFC North Champs. The Ravens would not be as "fun" but they would be just as good.

Darnold is a long-term investment.  He could play for 15 years or more. What makes Lamar great is his legs, not his arm, and that has a much shorter shelf life.  The Ravens have a smaller window than they think to win a championship with him.  Look no further than his backup. 

RGIII is ghost of Lamar's Future.  Tick, tick, tick...

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

In fairness, I should have added that Lamar would likely pass Bruce Harper on the Jets all-time rushing list this week.

To answer your question, I would stick with Darnold.  I think Lamar is an amazing football player and is unquestionably the MVP this season, but he was drafted by the right team at the right time. If Lamar was a Jet and Darnold were a Raven, the Jets would still be terrible and the Ravens would be AFC North Champs. The Ravens would not be as "fun" but they would be just as good.

Darnold is a long-term investment.  He could play for 15 years or more. What makes Lamar great is his legs, not his arm, and that has a much shorter shelf life.  The Ravens have a smaller window than they think to win a championship with him.  Look no further than his backup. 

RGIII is ghost of Lamar's Future.  Tick, tick, tick...

Respect this opinion. However I am a simpleton who evaluates QBs on production. It’s a blessing/curse.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

A bit of a dumb way to frame numbers. This is similar to how the top ten would look for the majority of NFL franchises. 1-3 legends at the top, a few decent guys after and then sh*t. The modern NFL is only something like 50 years old. Not exactly a ton of time to be building up depth for franchise numbers.

loser GIF

5 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

laughable

Lamar was drafted by a playoff team with a stellar O=line/running attack and great coaching staff.

Darnold was drafted by the Jets.

What's laughable is if you think the Jets would be much better or the Ravens much worse if they drafted each others QB

16 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He is almost a lock to finish 1st overall. 

A testament to how awful Jets QBS have been and the modern pass heavy offenses. 

Matt Ryan is on pace to break the all time Passing TD record set just last night. 

7 of the top 12 Passing TD leaders are active players. 

but how can that be tom oshane said he sucks so it must be true.......

Ryan will be a hofer, the Jet qbs have been bad. It looks like we find someone and for two yrs the team failed to build around him

15 hours ago, y2k8 said:

Lamar was drafted by a playoff team with a stellar O=line/running attack and great coaching staff.

Ravens hadnt made playoffs in 2 years....  were 4-5...     decent team, yes,. Not a playoff team. But you can continue saying it... 

it still will be false.

25 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Ravens hadnt made playoffs in 2 years....  were 4-5...     decent team, yes,. Not a playoff team. But you can continue saying it... 

it still will be false.

Give me a break. The Ravens were a 9-7 team on the upswing after retooling for 3 years after being championship caliber for a long stretch. They were 7th in the league rushing led by someone named Alex Collins. 

Last season they made the playoffs because Lamar was competent, not dynamic like he is now - with the whole offense geared to his unique game and stable of quality running back, TEs and OL.  

You really don't think Darnold would be infinitely better if he was the QB of the Ravens with that offensive talent and superior coaching staff? So instead of 13 wins, only 11, 12?

19 hours ago, y2k8 said:

What's laughable is if you think the Jets would be much better or the Ravens much worse if they drafted each others QB

So it’s impossible to evaluate anyone. 

20 hours ago, jgb said:

So it’s impossible to evaluate anyone. 

I also make the same point when fans discuss how the Jets and Dan Marino would have done if Marino had been drafted by the Jets and not the Dolphins.  The way I see it, the Jets still would not have won a Super Bowl if they drafted Dan Marino instead of O'Brien.  Marino would still probably have had impressive statistics, but no ring.