Rex Ryan rips Adam Gase on Rich Ciminis podcast

14 hours ago, JTJet said:

Well he didnt recommend him, but behind closed doors, Rex was in Woody's ear to save his own skin and place all blame on Tannenbaum. 

In turn, we ended up with Idzik. So, blame Rexs advice for that. 

I’m pretty sure the kill shot was extending Sanchez after that sucky 2011 season, only to see him play even worse in 2012. Tannenbaum has pretty much acknowledged that was what got him fired more than anything else, but it’s not like many QBs would have performed well on the offense Tannenbaum provided (particularly with the Holmes and Keller injuries compounding things).

Trading for Tebow after the Sanchez extension didn’t help his case any, for as much as people like to pretend the owner or coach orchestrated that transaction because of all the press conference and other publicity. Then remember Trader Mike getting swindled by a lowlife Elway because he didn’t read the freaking contract? Also trading up for Stephen Hill. Also that Holmes extension with $20MM guaranteed, that was solidified as a mistake before October. Also he'd drafted exactly 1 outstanding starter post-Revis (that's 5 straight drafts where he came away with Mo and then 2nd-best I guess was Keller). Good times. 

Not that he didn’t earn getting canned, because he did, but the next 2 GMs were demonstrably worse. Far worse.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Rex rode Manginis awesome Oline & a few salty veterans to 2 AFCCGs & both times his defenses failed him.

Rex REAL team, the team that we ended up with in 2014, probably my most hated Jet team of all time was the monster that Rex created. A lineup full of old decaying Jets & azzholes. God I hated that 2014 team! 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, SummerofSam14 said:

When asked what grade he would give Gase he said F, and essentially said the Jets should fire him. 

Also said he doesn’t like how he uses his hat to cover his eyes. 

Have you ever heard of an ex coach ripping a current coach on the record? 

Honestly doesnt sound much different than a many a JN'er

[x] Immaturely mocks Gase for poor occular motor control

[x] Delusional belief that this job is easy and he can do a much better one, despite significant evidence to the contrary 

[x] Self aggrandizing and self promotional, continually touts successes while pretending failures never occured.

Hes basically @jif 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

22 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Rex rode Manginis awesome Oline & a few salty veterans to 2 AFCCGs & both times his defenses failed him.

Rex REAL team, the team that we ended up with in 2014, probably my most hated Jet team of all time was the monster that Rex created. A lineup full of old decaying Jets & azzholes. God I hated that 2014 team! 

Rex had 7 different starters in 2009 including at qb.  Once Kris Jenkins went down he coached Pouha up to basically all pro status — Pouha stunk under Mangini

Mangini subsequently flopped in Cleveland and San Francisco after flopping here

2014 was by far Rex’s worst year but Woody and Idzikiot refused to sign Revis when he was available and willing to come back and we had $30 million in cap room so we literally had not one even average cover corner on the roster

Since 2014 the jets have gone 4-12 or 5-11 every year except for 2015 and guess who 2 of our 6 losses were to that year?

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, nico002 said:

Gase rode Peytons coattails yet Rex gets credit for coaching a defense with Ray Lewis and Ed Reed? LOL

How many top 10 Offenses has Gase led without Manning?

See, this is the thing.....Gase supporters never want to talk about Gase’s actual resume. Only Gase’s excuses and woulda, shoulda, coulda’s. At some point Gase will have to produce, no matter who he has.  Or he’ll be just like Rex....unhireable in the NFL.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Rex had 7 different starters in 2009 including at qb.  Once Kris Jenkins went down he coached Pouha up to basically all pro status — Pouha stunk under Mangini

2014 was by far Rex’s worst year but Woody and Idzikiot refused to sign Revis when he was available and willing to come back and we had $30 million in cap room so we literally had not one even average cover corner on the roster

Since 2014 the jets have gone 4-12 or 5-11 every year except for 2015 and guess who 2 of our 6 losses were to that year?

How fast can you plug holes in a sinking ship? Rex/Idzik missed on every draft pick except the oft injured Enunwa. Then you had the Macc/Bowles horror shows in the draft with Pryor, Smith, Lee, Leo, Stewart, Hansen & so on. Their is a reason the NY Jets in most preseason power listings this year were ranked bottom 3. 

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

How fast can you plug holes in a sinking ship? Rex/Idzik missed on every draft pick except the oft injured Enunwa. Then you had the Macc/Bowles horror shows in the draft with Pryor, Smith, Lee, Leo, Stewart, Hansen & so on. Their is a reason the NY Jets in most preseason power listings this year were ranked bottom 3. 

Pryor was an idzik pick

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

How many top 10 Offenses has Gase led without Manning?

See, this is the thing.....Gase supporters never want to talk about Gase’s actual resume. Only Gase’s excuses and woulda, shoulda, coulda’s. At some point Gase will have to produce, no matter who he has.  Or he’ll be just like Rex....unhireable in the NFL.

Bill Obrien & the Deshaun Watson led Houston Texans with Fuller & Hopkins lost to Baltimore 34-0. I'm with you that Gase needs to prove himself next year but my god, at least admit that it's near impossible to have a functioning offense in the 1st year of a new system with changes on the Oline & lineup constantly the entire year & on top of all of that your QB is recovering from a serious illness. 

I get it, your not a fan based on his time in Miami. He got rid of Landry, guess what? Landry is becoming a thorn in the Browns side, he was 100% right that Landry was a bad teammate & team player. Ajayi? No big loss. I'm willing to give the guy 2 years with the guys that JD & he think can help get Darnold to the next level. I've said this B4, in the last 10 years watching the Jets I've never seen them put together 5 games of scoring on their 1st possession (4TDs & 1FG), it got snapped ON THE ROAD vs the best team in football at the moment. 

• Post of the Week 1

14 hours ago, Warfish said:

And yet.....Rex has a Ring, and two of his own AFCCG's on his resume, 10 of 12 seasons with top 10 Defenses, including 6 top 5's and 2 #1 overalls.  And a lifetime .480 record.

Gase has.....the memory of holding Peyton Manning jockstrap in a losing Super Bowl year where he "coordinated" a HOF audible-play-calling borderline-GOAT QB in his 16th season, plus a bunch of pretty much last place Offensive rankings and a .452 lifetime record as a Head Coach.

Rex is a silly big-mouthed doosh obsessed with sanchez and feet and snacks, and I don't want him back. 

Gase is the glorified coffee boy for Peyton Manning and has shown basicly nothing in his tenure to date as an NFL Head Coach.

Maybe what's behind door #3 isn't so bad....

way too early to judge gase.

as for rex, he's another guy who benefitted from having superior defensive players.  probably not too hard to have a top 10 defense with guys like ed reed or ray lewis taking care of things.

11 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

Ryan recommended Idzik?

Idzak was hired with just one job, to give Johnson a reason to fire Rex. That's why Idzak didn't draft or sign any FA CB's. That's what Rex's D depended on. So the Jets collapse and Johnson has a legit reason to fire Rex. That said Rex still gave us the best three years this team has had in the last 20 years.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I’m pretty sure the kill shot was extending Sanchez after that sucky 2011 season, only to see him play even worse in 2012. Tannenbaum has pretty much acknowledged that was what got him fired more than anything else, but it’s not like many QBs would have performed well on the offense Tannenbaum provided (particularly with the Holmes and Keller injuries compounding things). Trading for Tebow after the Sanchez extension didn’t help his case any, for as much as people like to pretend the owner or coach orchestrated that transaction because of all the press conference and other publicity. Then remember Trader Mike getting swindled by a lowlife Elway because he didn’t read the freaking contract? Also trading up for Stephen Hill. Good times. 

Not that he didn’t earn getting canned, because he did, but the next 2 GMs were demonstrably worse. Far worse.

Totally agree with every point. 

All I was saying was that Rex convinced Woody to dump everything on Tanny and absolve himself of any blame at all at the time. When in reality, both should have seem the door at the exact same time. 

57 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Totally agree with every point. 

All I was saying was that Rex convinced Woody to dump everything on Tanny and absolve himself of any blame at all at the time. When in reality, both should have seem the door at the exact same time. 

You could be 100% correct, but I don't remember any rumors that Rex was looking to get Tanny fired, as Tanny was the one who hired him and clearly Rex had no such clout when it came to which GM to bring in after that (totally unlike with Gase in 2019).

There weren't too many known disagreements over players between the two, except Revis (who hadn't even been traded yet, but I'm sure Rex would have even been behind paying Revis $20MM per year on a $120MM cap) and maybe drafting Hill. Plus if the dagger that killed Tannenbaum was the Sanchez extension and to a lesser extend the Tebow trade? Meh I have a tough time believing Rex convincing Woody he was really dead-set against either (let alone both) of those moves when Johnson would have been well aware of his stances since both transactions were so high profile just that prior offseason.

There was more that was wrong with the team than these 2 hating each other (if they even did). Sanchez and Tebow, as mentioned a couple times, that Holmes extension, poor recent drafts, and more. Woody's presumed string-pulling and micromanaging of the roster is wayyyy overstated, but clearly from time to time he just stepped in and dropped the hammer. I think Tannenbaum was one of those, just like he did with Tannenbaum's buddy Mangini a few years prior, and both Rex and Idzik shortly thereafter. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Unless we get blown out badly next two games Gase is locked in for another 2 years minimum

I don't think you know how this life long suffering fan thing works. We live on hope - we hope that the coach will be fired, we hope we have a great draft, .... when you don't have the success, you live on hope - and yet you had to try and dash the 2+ weeks worth of hope :-)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

I get it, your not a fan based on his time in Miami.

I should be clear, I am old school.

The fact that Gase was the Head Coach of the Miami Dolphins, just fired, was reason enough for me not to support his hiring.

I do not support hiring Dolphins.  Or Bills.  Or Patriots.

I do not support signing Dolphins.  Or Bills.  Or Patriots.

Yes, I understand that means no Parcells, and no Curtis Martin (who I love).

Yes, I understand that being ok with signing ex-whatever AFTER they've been somewhere else bewteen those division rivals and us is a meaningless distinction.

Yes, I understand that this is a silly artificial limitation, especially in the modern "Rivals no longer exist, everyone loves everyone, and fantasy football is more important that divisional rivalries even to fans" environment.  Still.

The fact Gase was a Dolphin was reason enough.  The fact he failed to produce an Offense ranked higher than the mid-20's in his tenure was the second disqualifying factor for me.

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

way too early to judge gase.

as for rex, he's another guy who benefitted from having superior defensive players.  probably not too hard to have a top 10 defense with guys like ed reed or ray lewis taking care of things.

Only if you totally ignore his miami years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Only if you totally ignore his miami years.

that's not true.  he had a punk of a qb in tannenhill and even there only for one season.  and as we see he had a punk at wr in landry.  no telling how many other doltfins copped an attitude.  as i see it, the main thing gase hasn't lost the team.  the second thing is his plays do get receivers open.  give darnold more experience and a better oline and this team will be able to score points.  as it is, when is the last time the jets scored 34 points in 3 different games?

I listened to it and Rex is not wrong on his assessment of Darnold or Gase, or what this team needs. Darnold is gonna be great, his ceiling is sky high. Rex alludes to this. But what Darnold needs at this young age are great position coaches who will work on bis fundamentals and footwork.

Rex went on to say that we need a ceo coach who will oversee everything, not just one player. Again, I agree. No rex is not that guy, even if he swears he is.

10 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Rex told everyone he was going to dominate the division with Buffalo's defense and ended up turning a top unit into an average one in one season. In the process, he went 31-32. 

He didn't have a winning record in any of his last six seasons as an NFL head coach (To be clear, this is longer than Gase's entire head coaching tenure, thus far).  

Not to mention the embarrassing daily press conferences in which he constantly told everyone that he had the best players at every position along with the best coaching staff. 

Rex had two really good years here and then 6 straight mediocre ones. He had his chance. There is a reason he isn't coaching anymore. 

• Upvote 2

On 12/17/2019 at 8:53 PM, nico002 said:

Gase rode Peytons coattails yet Rex gets credit for coaching a defense with Ray Lewis and Ed Reed? LOL

Gase went from one of the top young offensive coaches to riding Mannings coatails to a glorified coffee boy here.

History rewritten the way it fits