OT: 1968 AFL Championship Game - Does a copy of the broadcast really not exist?

jetscrazey

2 hours ago, TMAC said:

Not sure if it is the entire game but there is a YouTube of the 1968 AFC Championship.  Those were the days when men wore the green and white.

That video is very nice but it is just a highlight reel produced by NFL films.

What the OP was asking about, and what many of us have been looking for, is the original NBC TV broadcast, commercials and all.  It is lost or forever erased.  So few AFL original TV broadcasts remain. Such a shame.

SAR I

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

2.jpg

I have a program and an unused ticket to the game. Sometimes it feels like this is as close as I'm going to get to that dream. 

SAR I

I was at the game with my dad and brother.  Our seats were on the 40 yard line, about 10 rows from the field.  It was cold and windy.  It was nice reversal of the Heidi game, where I was disgusted when we came back from commercial only to see Heidi running in the field.  I wanted to break the tv set.  Where is the game?  And there was f-ing Heidi running in the fields on some mountain.  And the Jets lost that game, after being up by like 10 points with like 2 minutes left in the game.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Alka said:

I was at the game with my dad and brother.  Our seats were on the 40 yard line, about 10 rows from the field.  It was cold and windy.  It was nice reversal of the Heidi game, where I was disgusted when we came back from commercial only to see Heidi running in the field.  I wanted to break the tv set.  Where is the game?  And there was f-ing Heidi running in the fields on some mountain.  And the Jets lost that game, after being up by like 10 points with like 2 minutes left in the game.

Amazing, I'm so jealous.  Just born a wee bit too late to go. 

My dream is to be sitting in my seats at MetLife at the 2020 AFC Championship Game, beat the piss out of the Chiefs, avenge the 1969 playoffs (were you at that game too?) and go straight to the Super Bowl.

SAR I

Shea stadium was absolutely rocking that game. There was a husband and wife that had the seats right behind my father and me. I never heard the wife yell anything for the two years prior, but at that game the lady was screaming - kill 'em Jets kill 'em - through out the game. I was 14 years old at the time and don't remember the game in detail. The Jets were leading most of the game but then Joe threw a INT mid to late 4th quarter and the Raiders took the lead. The next Jets drive was a thriller with Joe throwing the best pass I've ever seen, from one sideline to the other sideline and about 45 yards downfield and it was a bullet and not a high arching throw, I think Maynard caught it, and that was the winning drive. I don't remember how we scored but that pass was incredible.   

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

Amazing, I'm so jealous.  Just born a wee bit too late to go. 

My dream is to be sitting in my seats at MetLife at the 2020 AFC Championship Game, beat the piss out of the Chiefs, avenge the 1969 playoffs (were you at that game too?) and go straight to the Super Bowl.

SAR I

I was at both games but I don't remember the 69 loss to KC. What I do recall about KC and the Raiders were the vicious late hits that Joe took, they were some real dirty players.

• 8 months later...

I'd love to see the original telecast of the game complete with crowd noise and commentary. It's truly a pity if the network doesn't have a copy.

I would especially like to see the original wide angle shot of the long ball from Namath to Maynard with about 7 minutes remaining. That was just about the coolest looking pass play of all time, including everything that has come since.  I remember watching the game live in Texas and I was glued to the set from beginning to end. The atmosphere was just incredible - the wind blowing papers and debris onto the field, the condition of the turf, the dust!