Jets win on Sunday Could Result in Draft Position Free Fall

JetNation

USATSI_7904565_158813650_lowres.jpg

Some fans root for a win every week no matter what, while other fans value draft position as soon as it’s clear that their favorite team will be spending the post-season on the golf course or the couch.

This will be the case again this Sunday as Jets fans will likely feud over whether or not they should be hoping for an upset of the Pittsburgh Steelers or just another loss to secure a higher draft slot.

A win this Sunday could drop the Jets from 7th in draft position all the way down to the mid teens. What will you be hoping for?

— Glenn Naughton (@AceFan23) December 18, 2019

Currently sitting at 7th in the draft, the Jets could see a free fall to the mid teens if they manage to beat the Steelers on Sunday.  At the moment, the best draft position among six win teams is 13th overall where the 6-8 Oakland Raiders reside.

Of course the wins and losses of the teams surrounding the Jets would impact just how far a win could drop them, but for those fans hoping for a shot at a premier left tacle or edge rusher, a drop outside of the top 10 could be catastrophic.

Which outcome will you be hoping for?  Click the link here to log in and discuss it in our forums.

The post Jets win on Sunday Could Result in Draft Position Free Fall appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
qDZ7hjzqYtE

Click here to read the full story...

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Jets' seemingly annual tradition of winning meaningless late season games continue.  To the surprise of no one.  

This also concerns me in regards to Sams play.

It really may not mean a whole lot to play well after not having played well early and often enough to be eliminated from playoff contention...

Just now, Losmeister said:

This also concerns me in regards to Sams play.

It really may not mean a whole lot to play well after not having played well early and often enough to be eliminated from playoff contention...

Yep.  Remember 2013 when we won 3 of our last 4, with Geno posting QB Ratings of 88.6, 91.7 and 83.9 in the 3 wins?  That didn't carry over to 2014.  

• Upvote 1

I don't think we win.  Espeically since my Steelers friends will be at my place watching the game with us, lol.

But I'd like to win. 

Worry about the draft come draft time.  The team is going to try to win, I cannot control win or loss, so why care?  What will be will be.  We'll still have a chance to draft a great player, be it at #6 or #18 or anywhere in that first round.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, JetNation said:

USATSI_7904565_158813650_lowres.jpg

Some fans root for a win every week no matter what, while other fans value draft position as soon as it’s clear that their favorite team will be spending the post-season on the golf course or the couch.

This will be the case again this Sunday as Jets fans will likely feud over whether or not they should be hoping for an upset of the Pittsburgh Steelers or just another loss to secure a higher draft slot.

A win this Sunday could drop the Jets from 7th in draft position all the way down to the mid teens. What will you be hoping for?

— Glenn Naughton (@AceFan23) December 18, 2019

Currently sitting at 7th in the draft, the Jets could see a free fall to the mid teens if they manage to beat the Steelers on Sunday.  At the moment, the best draft position among six win teams is 13th overall where the 6-8 Oakland Raiders reside.

Of course the wins and losses of the teams surrounding the Jets would impact just how far a win could drop them, but for those fans hoping for a shot at a premier left tacle or edge rusher, a drop outside of the top 10 could be catastrophic.

Which outcome will you be hoping for?  Click the link here to log in and discuss it in our forums.

The post Jets win on Sunday Could Result in Draft Position Free Fall appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

qDZ7hjzqYtE

Click here to read the full story...

So basically you are telling me the Jets are guaranteed to win... Put the mortgage on it.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And then what happened?

What happened when?  When you win games you get a W in the win/loss column. 

Teams don't play to lose, fans don't root for teams to lose and season ticket holders definitely don't hope for losses at home games they are attending. 

At least I don't anyway. 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Everyone wants to win when the game is on, on game day, but it will be far more beneficial if we lose out.  Not just for the pick but for trade down possibility as well.

I agree, but it’s not really a big deal to me.

If we lose out and pick between #5-8...awesome. Hopefully we walk away with someone like Thomas, Lamb, Jeudy or Wirfs/Wills.

If we win another game or two and end up picking in the mid teens...oh well. That’s probably prime territory for someone like Biadasz or Tee Higgins.

I’m fine either way. OL and WR are looking pretty rich throughout the 1st and 2nd rounds. And those are hands down the two most pressing positions we should be looking at IMO.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, jbt said:

dam we might miss out on another superb top 10 pick like Williams, Q, Gholston etc etc etc

How about missing out on the likes of Matt Ryan (2008), Jake Matthews (2014), Mike Evans (2014), Anthony Barr (2014), Odell Beckham (2014), Aaron Donald (2014), Zack Martin (2014), CJ Mosley (2014), Amari Cooper (2015), Jalen Ramsey (2016), Taylor Decker (2016), and Nick Bosa (2019)?

• Sympathy 1

I don;t understand, can't the Jets win and a handful of other teams win as well where the Jets maybe fall a few spots but don't 'free fall'. Will THAT make much of a difference? Probably not. I highly doubt the top OT (whether its A.Thomas or someone else) will be on the board at #7 anyway. Furthermore, there should still be a very good LT prospect on the board- even outside of the 10th overall pick. 

Yes, I will be hoping for other teams to win and for the Jets to lose out and secure a higher draft pick or at least stay pat at 7. However, this isn't going to make a massive impact on how well we do in the draft.  

• Upvote 1

Normally I'm all for losing meaningless late year games, but this year is different and these particular games aelre not meaningless in my eyes. 

We have 2 playoff teams left and our franchise QB is playing much better. I'll be rooting for us to win and Sam to continue to show growth. Winning these 2 tough games late against teams that really need them will be a great end to the year and promise for the beginning of next year. 

• Upvote 1