Jets win on Sunday Could Result in Draft Position Free Fall

JetNation

55 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

We need to stop with draft position. How has being at top of the draft done for us?

You tank for a QB, we have our QB - play to win.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

24:25:31

I have never seen a fan base and I know lots of fans from different fan bases so obsessed with draft picks like jet fans. I guess it’s developed from losing so much and having something to look forward to but still even my bill fans friends aren’t like this. They are all in till week 17

19 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Could care less is we draft at 7 or 12. A good player will be available either way. I will take that win over the Steelers and send their fans home sad ant day 

Really? It was this philosophy that gave us safety Calvin Pryor instead of Odell Beckham JR. I could excuse this philosophy if there wasn't a clear example of a meaningless win in the last game of the season costing us an insane amount.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Really? It was this philosophy that gave us safety Calvin Pryor instead of Odell Beckham JR. I could excuse this philosophy if there wasn't a clear example of a meaningless win in the last game of the season costing us an insane amount.

Would you like to go to football reference and go break down all the 12s who panned our better then 7s? 

10 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I'll tell you that right now. Please tell me how the high draft picks have vaulted this team into the Company Elite ... I await your retort.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The GM still has to execute, no denying that. How many times has that meaningless feel good win aura carried into the off season and vaulted the team into the Company Elite?

Santa Claus GIF by LookHUMAN

• Sympathy 1

On 12/18/2019 at 1:13 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

If Andrew Thomas is available at 7, picking 12 will be a result we regret for at least 3 years.

You, myself and a few others should just give up explaining this to guys who would rather beat a Buffalo team resting starters the last game of the season.

Just last year a 4th and 1 conversion cost us the top pick in the draft. We could have traded down for a ton of picks to a team that wanted Murray for example,, or taken Bosa, the bpa (which the old GM loved doing). Either way we’d be better off.

Not to mention it isn’t a one round thing. You’re picking higher in every round. The odds of getting better players is so much greater over 7 rounds, not to mention they’re more valuable to package in deals before and during the draft.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

As a self admitted pessimistic Jets fan, I always want to have a higher pick and laugh/groan when people say "why do you care about getting a higher pick? You can get good players anywhere!" Did you guys forget that we're talking about the Jets? A team that has been historically bad at drafting!

Yes you guys are right, you can find talent anywhere in the draft. But finding talent later requires a higher draft aptitude (to which this franchise does not possess). The first 5-10 picks are usually the "no brainer" picks. After that, you have to really have an eye for talent. Because if the guy you like is so talented, why are all these people passing up on him? Finding diamonds in the rough requires you to see things that others do not (to which I don't trust the Jets to do). Also could be a situation where the player is talented, but needs to be coached up. Do you really trust this team to be able to properly develop players.

Long story short: We root for higher draft picks because we don't trust the Jets to make the right decisions. So we prefer the decisions to be made for them ??‍♂️

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

29 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Gase is still here. MOOT POINT, doesn't matter.

Right, because we weren't saying the exact same thing about Todd Bowles last year.

Not every thread needs to turn into a "all hope is lost because of Gase" thread.  Fix the roster or else it won't matter who the HC is.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/18/2019 at 1:36 PM, ASH1962 said:

They are not winning Sunday. But if they do, so be it. I take a win any day ...

This is the exact type of game that the Jets historically do win... Everything is lost, they have no hope other then improve draft position and they win only to kick themselves out of a top 10 pick.

This is, surprisingly, an interesting discussion. 

You could say players and coaches aren't going to quit so its a moot point. But we're talking about the fans, right? 

These game are meaningless as far as postseason contention for the Jets. So the question is, how much of an impact will these games have for the players and the team as a whole mentally? Will winning these two games spark something in the locker room or some of the individual payers OR conversely, will losing these two games create rifts or cause certain players to 'give up' on the team heading into the offseason. Maybe it won't make a difference. I'm not a professional athlete so I don't know. I would assume, as a professional you take a W as a W and an L as an L and you move on, especially in a lost season. 

So, to me, I'm just going to watch and if they lose they lose. At least I know they are not hurting their draft position. If they win, they win. At least I know this team, even with all the holes and injuries, has it in them to beat an 8-6 Steelers team fighting for a playoff spot.   

On 12/19/2019 at 6:42 AM, Dunnie said:

I hope we win ..years of high position high price draft picks have done zero to improve this team.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

well, we got our only pro-bowl player, our franchise QB; more importantly, this year is supposedly stock full of good OL, getting a top pick may enable us to trade back and get a few OL players.

Also, I always root for them to win, but let's be honest, we are eliminated from the playoffs and the season has been painful. I wouldn't 'tank', but I won't be heart broken if they play hard, but fall short.

7 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

I still want to beat the Steelers - the Jets have done nothing good with their draft position, wasting #3 last year - Saints and Ravens seemed to do just fine drafting later in the first round

Of course, it is a different GM, so can't blame JD for what MM did, but I hear your frustration...