Colliding Instead Of Tackling...

THE BARON

I'm sure this has been kicked around before, but watching some recent Jets games had me thinking again.  When did coaches stop teaching players how to tackle ??? I see a lot of tackles being missed because defenders want to collide with the guy that has the ball rather than properly tackle them.

Every year, the Jets defensive coordinator needs to play a highlight reel of Kyle Clifton. 

3403-873722Bk.jpg

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I'm sure this has been kicked around before, but watching some recent Jets games had me thinking again.  When did coaches stop teaching players how to tackle ??? I see a lot of tackles being missed because defenders want to collide with the guy that has the ball rather than properly tackle them.

Every year, the Jets defensive coordinator needs to play a highlight reel of Kyle Clifton. 

3403-873722Bk.jpg

it's not just the jets.  a lot of players prefer to roll into the offensive guys as opposed to wrapping them up.  others pay more attention to trying to strip the ball instead of tackling.   the refs don't help either because sometimes the player gets plagged for leading with his helmet even though they're bringing their shoulder down.

18 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I see a lot of tackles being missed because defenders want to collide with the guy that has the ball rather than properly tackle them.

Saw a guy give up 5 yards on a 3rd and 4 when the other team was driving for a game winning score at the end of the game and celebrate his "hit"...       ffs

My guess is it starts at the youth level where these guys cause a fumble with every single collision so they just keep doing it, and then it becomes just how they play, and then they run into 1500 other lunatics who play the same way violent, and that stuff doesn’t fly for most anymore.