2020 Draft OL thread

maury77

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Depends where you want to take him.  He certainly isn’t “plug and play” right now.  I’d take him no higher than the second 3rd round pick the Jets have.  

I think he will go early in Rd. 2. He has immense upside. Yes, he's a bit raw but not sloppy like some other raw prospects. He already looks the part of an NFL ready OT. Athletically he is there. He's got he size and strength. He needs to improve his technique and footwork- like most rookies. I think he will adjust extremely well. His college tape is great. He would certainly compete for a starting spot with the likes of Edoga and Shell (if the Jest bring him back) at RT. JMHO. I could be way off. 

For some reason I like Willis and Austin Jackson better then Wirfs and Thomas, but what do I know.  I think the bigger point is that I dont see the value in staying put and taking an OT in the top 10, when there is a decent probability that the 4th OT off the board in the teens will be as good or better then the first OT off the board.

I dont care what the draft chart says, if we can move fro 7/9 to 10-17 with a team that wants Herbert and we get a high second and a 2020 pick, we need to do it and then take whichever OT is still there and then find a center with the extra pick.  Humphrey and Biasdaz are both day 1 starters and paired with a FA and first round OT take our line from awful to very good basically overnight.  I also wouldn't care if we took 3 OL if Trey Adams is available in the mid second, and we put him at RT.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

On 12/19/2019 at 7:35 PM, King P said:

Mekhi Becton is a guy I really like at LT.

If we go WR in the 1st, he's definitely who I'd want in the 2nd if he's still there

Interesting prospect after watching that tape, so thanks for bringing up a different name. He is absolutely mammoth and raw as hell but the potential is there. 

Probably looking at a RT at the next level because he will struggle early with passpro and you see it in this tape. He has a lot of problems when his man takes an inside route....almost reminded me of Shells tape. He does set a decent base and can move at that size so I'd love to see him in G+W.

This kid needs a good line coach and I'd also like to see him finish his blocks a little more. He does set a decent base and can move at that size.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

On 12/18/2019 at 7:47 PM, maury77 said:

Alright guys ....

Alex Leatherwood and Jedrick Wills

Watched Leatherwood during the first and the third quarters so you can watch him up close. I am very impressed with yet another Bama lineman because he looks so polished. They obviously do a great job recruiting, but damn they can coach up Oline.

He is going up against a great defense and in this game he is protecting the blind side. He moves well, looks quick, gets that arm extension, and he can get to the second level with ease. Not many teams ask their lineman to get to the second level anymore but he does it constantly and proficiently.

We're finally going Oline and it getting hard to contain the giddiness after all of these years. You can also sign me up for Harris in the fourth and Waddle next year. Just watching some of the Olineman and Wr's this year it should be impossible for JD to screw this up. This draft is set up for our needs now and in the future.

Now to watch the other side. 

• Sympathy 2

On 12/18/2019 at 7:47 PM, maury77 said:

Alright guys ....

Alex Leatherwood and Jedrick Wills

Watched the other quarters when Wills was up and close. Wills is very impressive also with that quick first step in his stance or exploding out of it. He does a great job at positional blocking....not unlike a Mangold. Very light on his feet, which I always love. 

He's not asked to get to the second level as much or lead screens but when he's out there he looks fluid. He had easier matchups throughout the game. I can't pick between the two right now because I like both.

Are they a product of the system? It's hard too watch that tape and say they are because they're damn good.  

Hope we're somehow able to land Waddle next year if we only get one guy this year. He's beyond dynamic.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, RobR said:

Watched the other quarters when Wills was up and close. Wills is very impressive also with that quick first step in his stance or exploding out of it. He does a great job at positional blocking....not unlike a Mangold. Very light on his feet, which I always love. 

He's not asked to get to the second level as much or lead screens but when he's out there he looks fluid. He had easier matchups throughout the game. I can't pick between the two right now because I like both.

Are they a product of the system? It's hard too watch that tape and say they are because they're damn good.  

Hope we're somehow able to land Waddle next year if we only get one guy this year. He's beyond dynamic.

Totally unrelated -- but not really since you brought up Waddle -- at this point i'm willing to throw "criminally underrated" around to describe Devonta Smith. He might wind up being the most productive of all 4 bama WRs in the NFL, although i concede Jeudy's transition to the pros looks pretty dynamic. Smith has the best hands of them all. Catches everything - like naturally, he just vacuums the ball into his hands. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Paradis said:

Totally unrelated -- but not really since you brought up Waddle -- at this point i'm willing to throw "criminally underrated" around to describe Devonta Smith. He might wind up being the most productive of all 4 bama WRs in the NFL, although i concede Jeudy's transition to the pros looks pretty dynamic. Smith has the best hands of them all. Catches everything - like naturally, he just vacuums the ball into his hands. 

McShay actually had Smith going in the first round in his latest mock, so it looks like some are starting to come around on him.  

• Upvote 1

In this draft, when the Jets pick comes around they have to take the best available O lineman even if he they are drafting him many spots ahead of his overall draft rating on their board. This is not the year to take chances and hope guys fall to them. picks 1 through 4 have to be 3 best available O lineman and one WR.

Alex Leatherwood - He looks the part. Has really long arms. Moves very well getting to the second level and is twitchy for a big guy. He needs a little more development to his game. He can be a little slow with his punch and allow defenders to get into his chest. He also takes odd pass sets at times and I saw a few instances where he lost his balance because he was bending forward too far. 

Jedrick Wills - I love this kid. Tough and aggressive. Also moves very well for a big guy. Has a wide stance in pass protection that allows him to maintain good balance. Always keeps his feet moving. His punch is lethal and absolutely stuns defenders. If the Jets grab this kid, they are going to be set at LT for the next 10 years. Wills and Edoga would make a nice set of bookend tackles. 

• Upvote 4

Andrew Thomas - This kid was built in a lab by someone looking to make a LT prototype. Looks bigger than either of the Alabama kids. Moves very well going forward, but he lumbers a little bit in pass protection. His pass sets are great, but once the defender engages, Thomas doesn't move quite as well as the Bama kids.Thomas is very clean technically and seeing him get low and explode into the defender is very impressive for a guy his size. Also a really bright kid who passes off the first defender to pick up the second defender with ease. I don't think Thomas is going to test as well athletically as some of the other top tier OT prospects, but he is a very high floor player who should be able to start right away as a rookie. I'd be very happy to see him in green. 

13 hours ago, maury77 said:

Andrew Thomas - This kid was built in a lab by someone looking to make a LT prototype. Looks bigger than either of the Alabama kids. Moves very well going forward, but he lumbers a little bit in pass protection. His pass sets are great, but once the defender engages, Thomas doesn't move quite as well as the Bama kids.Thomas is very clean technically and seeing him get low and explode into the defender is very impressive for a guy his size. Also a really bright kid who passes off the first defender to pick up the second defender with ease. I don't think Thomas is going to test as well athletically as some of the other top tier OT prospects, but he is a very high floor player who should be able to start right away as a rookie. I'd be very happy to see him in green. 

He is a great prospect, but probably going top 5 to Redskins or Giants (whoever doesn't get Chase Young)

• Upvote 1

Im praying for Joe Douglas some way gets us Jedrick Wills and Creed Humphrey, im love with their game tapes.

Hell maybe sneak a Josh Jones in the second and this team would be in a great spot for years to come.

Matt Hennessy is a name that i think will get more attention in the next couple of months, big center from temple who is really playing well this year.

10 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Throckmorton is a nice prospect in the mid rounds.  Sewell is going to be a monster but he’s not draft eligible till 2021. 

Throckmorton has been an under the radar name thus far, which is a little surprising given the momentum he had prior to returning last year.