2020 Draft OL thread

maury77

Tristan Wirfs - I'm not sure if this kid ever wrestled, but he looks like one. Not a lot of bad weight on this kid. Moves well in the run game and in pass protection. Once he gets his hands into the defender, you see that explosive strength and he absolutely decleats guys. I have some questions about his arm length and whether he will ultimately wind up at guard. Also, for as explosive as he is, he is a little bit stiff and he has a tendency to play high. Exciting athletic potential, but there are some questions about certain aspects of his game that may not be fixable. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

Tristan Wirfs - I'm not sure if this kid ever wrestled, but he looks like one. Not a lot of bad weight on this kid. Moves well in the run game and in pass protection. Once he gets his hands into the defender, you see that explosive strength and he absolutely decleats guys. I have some questions about his arm length and whether he will ultimately wind up at guard. Also, for as explosive as he is, he is a little bit stiff and he has a tendency to play high. Exciting athletic potential, but there are some questions about certain aspects of his game that may not be fixable. 

Unfortunately I haven't watched one Iowa game all year and they keep cranking them out. Wirfs is definitely next up on my list and game tape should be easy to find on him. The scouting season is almost upon us.

7 hours ago, Guilhermezmc said:

he's better than wirfs, as i said before him and humphrey would transform this team

Wills is much more technically sound at this point, but teams will fall in love with Wirfs when they see him at the combine.  He’ll dominate those drills, it’s just a matter of how fast you think he can develop because he needs some work IMO.  Wills is ready day one and is why he’ll be the first OT taken.  Thomas is ready as well, but doesn’t move like Wills.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, RobR said:

Unfortunately I haven't watched one Iowa game all year and they keep cranking them out. Wirfs is definitely next up on my list and game tape should be easy to find on him. The scouting season is almost upon us.

Friday night.  Iowa - USC.  Austin Jackson, Alaric Jackson and Tristan Wirfs.  Good game for scouting some OL.  Assuming all 3 guys actually play.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, RobR said:

His game tape is in this thread. You don't have to look on youtube, we have most of the top prospects here. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Wills is much more technically sound at this point, but teams will fall in love with Wirfs when they see him at the combine.  He’ll dominate those drills, it’s just a matter of how fast you think he can develop because he needs some work IMO.  Wills is ready day one and is why he’ll be the first OT taken.  Thomas is ready as well, but doesn’t move like Wills.

I expect Wirfs to have the best combine of the group as far as testing, but I'm interested in seeing that arm length. Wirfs is also a little stiff athletically, so I'm interested in his 3 cone (not that it matters much for a tackle). 

• Upvote 1

On 12/19/2019 at 2:33 PM, Guilhermezmc said:

I'm starting to think that Tristan Wirfs is better suited as a OG.

Jedrick Wills looks great to me would pick him high.

Wirfs strength is as a pass protector.  He’s not a mauler per se I think he ends up as a LT in the NFL

Austin Jackson - Good length and feet. Moves really smooth in pass protection. There are some that question his strength, but he looks like he can add another 20lbs or so. Once he puts on weight, his play strength should increase good agility too and plays with good leverage. Bends a little more often than you like to see and lets defenders get their hands into him frequently on run blocking. Looks a little soft too as you often just see him grazing around without trying to hit anybody. 

2nd to 3rd rounder and a tier below the other guys I've reviewed thus far. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Austin Jackson - Good length and feet. Moves really smooth in pass protection. There are some that question his strength, but he looks like he can add another 20lbs or so. Once he puts on weight, his play strength should increase good agility too and plays with good leverage. Bends a little more often than you like to see and lets defenders get their hands into him frequently on run blocking. Looks a little soft too as you often just see him grazing around without trying to hit anybody. 

2nd to 3rd rounder and a tier below the other guys I've reviewed thus far. 

Yep

I watched some more of him after I saw a few people calling him the best pure LT in the draft.

Completely disagree. If he was still around in the mid-2nd, he’d be one of the top guys on my list. But I don’t see Top 25, much less Top 15 where more than a few people have him going.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

USC grad chiming in here.

I don't  know if I would pick him at 10th or 11th pick, but I believe he is just as good if not a better prospect than Tyron Smith coming out.   Jackson is more athletic and weighs more closer to playing weight than Smith.  

Here's him running the last leg of a 4×100 relay as a senior in high school.

https://twitter.com/ChocoDro/status/849441411653136385?s=20

• Sympathy 1

Tyler Biadasz - decent size for a center. Plays in a pro style offense, so he should have an easier transition to the pros. Pretty athletic and moves well on pulls. Awareness on pulls could be better as he sometimes misses a defender. Gets a good push in the run game, but has a habit of bending at the waist which causes him to lose balance and fall. Pretty good prospect, but I don't see the stud that some people make him out to be. 2nd rounder. 

• Upvote 1

Boise State LT Ezra Cleveland  has entered the draft.  Cleveland (6'6/310) was a first team all-Mountain West selection for the second consecutive season, starting 13 of the Broncos' 14 games in 2019. In early November he was named the NFL Draft Prospect of the Week by Pro Football Network, with draft analyst Tony Pauline giving him a Day 2 grade at the time. Tackle is one of the deeper positions in the 2020 draft class, with Cleveland being one of the more consistent prospects on the board.

San Diego State redshirt junior OL Keith Ismael declared for the 2020 NFL Draft.  Ismael (6'3/310) developed into a stalwart presence on the SDSU line after initially enrolling at the program as a mere two-star recruit in the 2016 class. After taking a redshirt his first year on campus, Ismael went on to start 38-of-39 games, missing out on a perfect starting streak only because of a concussion which forced him to miss a contest in November of 2018. The bulk of Ismael's experience comes at center, though he has also dabbled at left and right guard during his time in the Aztecs program. If the Mountain West standout is to come off the board in April, it'll likely happen on Day 3.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Creed Humphrey - This is one short, squat SOB. His lack of height gives him a leverage advantage and once he drops that anchor he generally doesn't budge. Shows some quick feet in pass protection. Because of how Oklahoma uses him, I can't comment on his mobility getting to the 2nd level or pulling because you just don't see it on tape. I think Biadasz is a superior prospect. On another note, if you watch the Oklahoma v. Alabama film, Quinnen is absolutely lethal on that tape, holy sh!t. 

• Upvote 1

Trey Adams - I'm ..... not a big fan. Significant injury history that has caused him to miss multiple seasons. Very tall prospect with long arms. Moves in a straight line very well and looks impressive on pulls (even though he has a tendency to whiff on blocks when he gets to the second level). Doesn't get a huge push on run blocks, but he is able to redirect the defender out of the way. Takes odd sets in pass protection at times. Although he moves well in a straight line, he looks robotic moving laterally and that can effect his pass block ability. Overall, I'm not a huge fan. 

Day 3 pick. 

On 12/23/2019 at 9:32 PM, maury77 said:

He was a state champ as a senior in Iowa.

• Sympathy 1

On 12/23/2019 at 10:32 PM, maury77 said:

Tristan Wirfs won the state championship in wrestling at 285 pounds as a senior (Mount Vernon, Iowa) 

he also won state titles in Discus and Shotput throw 

the first Iowa male to win 3 consecutive Discus throws since the 1950's 

https://hawkeyesports.com/sports/football/roster/tristan-wirfs/13397

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

For some reason I like Willis and Austin Jackson better then Wirfs and Thomas, but what do I know.  I think the bigger point is that I dont see the value in staying put and taking an OT in the top 10, when there is a decent probability that the 4th OT off the board in the teens will be as good or better then the first OT off the board.
I dont care what the draft chart says, if we can move fro 7/9 to 10-17 with a team that wants Herbert and we get a high second and a 2020 pick, we need to do it and then take whichever OT is still there and then find a center with the extra pick.  Humphrey and Biasdaz are both day 1 starters and paired with a FA and first round OT take our line from awful to very good basically overnight.  I also wouldn't care if we took 3 OL if Trey Adams is available in the mid second, and we put him at RT.

I feel the same way. I am not one who watches nearly as much college ball as many others here so I defer a bit to guys like@bitonti and@paradis etc
But I like Austin Jackson so far. I have trouble trusting USC guys but I like that kid. He can most likely be had late in the first or maybe even early second.
I’m just getting into it for this year but im not so sure there is that wide of a gap between the top tier and the next batch.
I would love to trade back from our pick and grab a guy like Jackson and a C/G or even a WR/CB with the spoils than sitting and taking one guy.
Just my early thoughts but admittedly I am always hoping for a trade back. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

19 hours ago, bitonti said:

Tristan Wirfs won the state championship in wrestling at 285 pounds as a senior (Mount Vernon, Iowa) 

he also won state titles in Discus and Shotput throw 

the first Iowa male to win 3 consecutive Discus throws since the 1950's 

https://hawkeyesports.com/sports/football/roster/tristan-wirfs/13397

I love O-line men who are former wrestlers, they usually have great balance and use their hands extremely well.  I tend to think Wirfs, Wills and Thomas may very well be gone by the 10th pick, especially Wills and Wirfs, I could actually see Thomas being the 3rd OT taken. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

20 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Not sure I agree with that all.  That's about the first phrase used when people talk about Wirfs, a Mauler.

Yea. I was gonna say. He was making snowmen yesterday too. Just gotta wonder if he’s a RT for life or not. 

i trust Jackson to be a 10 year stalwart at LT... probowl material? Eh. Not sure yet. 

• Sympathy 1

Prince Tega Wasomething - Good looking athlete. Tall with long arms. Not a lot of fat on him. Agressive and lands a solid punch. Generally does a good job of keeping his chest clean. The video we have unfortunately does not show a lot of him in pass protection, so that is up in the air. I think he is the most underrated guy I've watched so far. Late 1st early 2nd who might be in play for the Jets at the top of round 2 pending what they do in round 1.  

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

Prince Tega Wasomething - Good looking athlete. Tall with long arms. Not a lot of fat on him. Agressive and lands a solid punch. Generally does a good job of keeping his chest clean. The video we have unfortunately does not show a lot of him in pass protection, so that is up in the air. I think he is the most underrated guy I've watched so far. Late 1st early 2nd who might be in play for the Jets at the top of round 2 pending what they do in round 1.  

He’ll be at the Senior Bowl.  Will be a big week for him.  

• Sympathy 1

Matt Hennessy, Center from Temple declared yesterday as well.  PFF graded him out highly, but he is listed at 295 which is obviously very light and likely eliminates him as a year 1 starter, but he could be a guy that we use a 3rd/4th round pick on to develop for a year behind Harrison, if we can't get one of the top 2 guys. 

• Sympathy 1

On 12/28/2019 at 8:42 AM, sec101row23 said:

I love O-line men who are former wrestlers, they usually have great balance and use their hands extremely well.  I tend to think Wirfs, Wills and Thomas may very well be gone by the 10th pick, especially Wills and Wirfs, I could actually see Thomas being the 3rd OT taken. 

Wirfs should be the first tackle off the board. The Jets are going to be 17th but he wasn't making it to 7 

On 12/28/2019 at 7:35 AM, maury77 said:

Wanogho. Just google it before posting lol. 

He's been on my radar for a while. I watched Auburn play Georgia and he was solid as a rock. He is a bit raw. But all the tools are there. He is big, athletic and strong. Long and lean body. Already looks the part of a pro LT, just needs polish and technique refinement. Probably a better pass protector than in the run game. He could still bulk up and get stronger. 2nd round sounds about right. 

Mehki Bechton - One big, strong dude who looks like a prototypical RT, but may have the athleticism to play LT. Multiple instances on video of him just tossing guys. Difficult for him to get low for leverage purposes, but he is so strong it often doesn't matter. Very good length. Very nimble getting to the second level in the run block game. In pass protection, he has to work on his pass sets, which can be unconventional at times. Biggest issue I have with Bechton is his mental processing. You see him miss frequently on stunts and this is something that may not improve in the pros. Solid LT prospect who can go in the second round, but may need to play next to a very good guard in order to really flourish. 

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

Wanogho. Just google it before posting lol. 

He's been on my radar for a while. I watched Auburn play Georgia and he was solid as a rock. He is a bit raw. But all the tools are there. He is big, athletic and strong. Long and lean body. Already looks the part of a pro LT, just needs polish and technique refinement. Probably a better pass protector than in the run game. He could still bulk up and get stronger. 2nd round sounds about right. 

Wang Chung? Got it.