2020 Draft OL thread

maury77

4 hours ago, maury77 said:

Mehki Bechton - One big, strong dude who looks like a prototypical RT, but may have the athleticism to play LT. Multiple instances on video of him just tossing guys. Difficult for him to get low for leverage purposes, but he is so strong it often doesn't matter. Very good length. Very nimble getting to the second level in the run block game. In pass protection, he has to work on his pass sets, which can be unconventional at times. Biggest issue I have with Bechton is his mental processing. You see him miss frequently on stunts and this is something that may not improve in the pros. Solid LT prospect who can go in the second round, but may need to play next to a very good guard in order to really flourish. 

Isnt Bechton tall but only 300?  I read that hes athletic but needs to add strength and weight, which is fine, but it seems like he is someone like Edoga that needs development?

9 hours ago, BCJet said:

Isnt Bechton tall but only 300?  I read that hes athletic but needs to add strength and weight, which is fine, but it seems like he is someone like Edoga that needs development?

Not sure what scouting report you were reading but Bechton is around 360 pounds, adding weight and strength are definitely not needed.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Not sure what scouting report you were reading but Bechton is around 360 pounds, adding weight and strength are definitely not needed.  

Yea you’re right. I forget where I saw him listed at 295 but yea he clearly doesn’t need to add weight

On 12/19/2019 at 11:05 PM, maury77 said:

Lucas Niang

Niang is a fun player to watch in some ways. He's the fattest guy I've watched so far, but he moves pretty well. Good awareness and mental processing of what goes on around him. He looks like he has short arms, but he is good at gauging distance and hitting at maximum extension. Bad on his pass protection sets. I think he is a guard or center at the next level. 3-4th rounder. 

I know thomas is a stud but anyone with any insight on how good the 2nd or 3rd best OT is in this class? beachum is likely gone so its the absolute highest position of need going into the offseason. there really hasn’t been many elite level LT prospects in general so there’s definitely a positional scarcity factor but tbh it would make me sick to pass on a shot at a jeudy or lamb for a mike mcglinchey caliber prospect

14 hours ago, kdels62 said:

I’ve become obsessed with Wirfs. He’s so friggin strong and so nimble. The only reason to think he can’t play LT is because he doesn’t play left tackle. He’s got the goods man.

Tyron Smith only played RT at SC.  Wirf has that kinda potential in my opinion.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

And Cordy Glenn started at Guard most of his college career before becoming a LT in the nfl 

Branden Albert never played tackle at the collegiate level and he turned into a pretty good LT in the NFL.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Here's a guy I've been reading a lot about lately.  Netane Muti, Fresno State.  Has battled injuries(back to back season enders), but when he played, PFF ranks him as the top interior OL in college football.  I don't think he's probably a lock to declare, but if he does, would be an interesting guy.  Agile, nasty, all the tools.  Some of these highlights are against Bama and USC and he physically dominates.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Here's a guy I've been reading a lot about lately.  Netane Muti, Fresno State.  Has battled injuries(back to back season enders), but when he played, PFF ranks him as the top interior OL in college football.  I don't think he's probably a lock to declare, but if he does, would be an interesting guy.  Agile, nasty, all the tools.  Some of these highlights are against Bama and USC and he physically dominates.

I like Muti, but I could not find any game film for him. Nice target in the 3rd round. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/19/2019 at 11:12 PM, King P said:

Josh Jones

Josh Jones - I enjoyed this kid's tape. Built a lot like Tyron Smith. Tall, long arms, v taper, small waist. Moves very well and under control, consistently hitting defenders at the second level. Good pass sets, moves very well in pass protection and uses his long arms to stay clean. One area of weakness is his core strength. At his height, it is going to be difficult for him to win the leverage battle, so you will see him lose some battles. That being said, strength is a trait that can be developed at the pro level by virtue of getting older, eating better and participating in an NFL strength training program. 

1st rounder. 

• Upvote 1

So, based upon the tape, my final rankings pending the combine - 

OT

1) Jedrick Wills

2a) Andrew Thomas

2b) Wirfs

3) Josh Jones

4) Leatherwood

5) Prince Tega Wanogho

6) Austin Jackson

7) Trey Adams

? Lucas Niang

IOL

1) Biadasz

2) Creed H

3) Lucas Niang

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, RobR said:

Branden Albert never played tackle at the collegiate level and he turned into a pretty good LT in the NFL.

I think this is actually a good thing because if we trade Adams for a pick in the later part of the first round that knock on Wirfs helps him fall to us

OK here is a nugget about Wirfs I've been searching for a week or two but couldn't find my confirmation until this morning. Nothing major.

I know a lot have asked about Wirfs at LT.  I knew I had been told at one point why the alignment was what it was, but couldn't remember.  So I asked a few people I know and finally got my answer. This guy would know.  So it's quite possible Wirfs is more capable at LT than I may have thought.  Below is the response.

"Happy New Year. That was heavily discussed in spring 2018. Jackson was much better on left side than right. Wirfs was equally capable on either side."

Simple as that.

• Upvote 4

On 12/30/2019 at 10:14 AM, kdels62 said:

I’ve become obsessed with Wirfs. He’s so friggin strong and so nimble. The only reason to think he can’t play LT is because he doesn’t play left tackle. He’s got the goods man.

He's the kind of guy you'd really like to see in the Senior Bowl and doing Combine drills.

8 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

OK here is a nugget about Wirfs I've been searching for a week or two but couldn't find my confirmation until this morning. Nothing major.

I know a lot have asked about Wirfs at LT.  I knew I had been told at one point why the alignment was what it was, but couldn't remember.  So I asked a few people I know and finally got my answer. This guy would know.  So it's quite possible Wirfs is more capable at LT than I may have thought.  Below is the response.

"Happy New Year. That was heavily discussed in spring 2018. Jackson was much better on left side than right. Wirfs was equally capable on either side."

Simple as that.

Ok good. I like Wirfs, but I wasn't sure if he could play LT in the pros. I refuse to pick a non-LT OL if I have a Top 15. If Wirfs can play left, I'm all for him

2 hours ago, King P said:

Ok good. I like Wirfs, but I wasn't sure if he could play LT in the pros. I refuse to pick a non-LT OL if I have a Top 15. If Wirfs can play left, I'm all for him

We need multiple OL positions if Wirfs ends up as a All Pro Guard or RT that’s fine

On 12/30/2019 at 12:14 PM, kdels62 said:

To this point, offenses use shotgun majority of the time now. Defenses have adjusted and align their best pass rusher on OL matchup, not always coming from the blind side which is fading away due to shotgun formations.

RT is ALMOST as important as LT in today’s game. Not quite the same but pretty close. You need 2 good tackles and would be fine if we took Wirfs and played him at RT...

But he’s def got the ability to play left and if selected I have no doubt it would be with the intent to play left.

On 1/1/2020 at 9:05 AM, HawkeyeJet said:

Dude really likes putting guys on the GROUND.

Hennessy, the Temple center, is also the brother of Jets long snapper Thomas Hennessy - interesting connection. 

Kind of interesting that some of the fringe R1 tackles are the lighter, more athletic guys (Jackson, Jones) who could potentially project to the left side. 

I would not be opposed to doubling down at tackle in the first two rounds. Edoga was so high variance this year and is not a Douglas guy. Needs to at least earn his spot. Maybe he can kick inside if he has to.

On 12/25/2019 at 9:13 AM, maury77 said:

Tyler Biadasz - decent size for a center. Plays in a pro style offense, so he should have an easier transition to the pros. Pretty athletic and moves well on pulls. Awareness on pulls could be better as he sometimes misses a defender. Gets a good push in the run game, but has a habit of bending at the waist which causes him to lose balance and fall. Pretty good prospect, but I don't see the stud that some people make him out to be. 2nd rounder. 

Just watched some more tape and I'm totally in agreement. There is no way that he should be considered as a first rounder and it's not even close. 

He does possess a great first step which helps him in those pulls but he's underwhelming everywhere else to be considered a first rounder. He has some tiny arms and lets the defender into him consistently and tries to block with his head which is never good.

I'd give him the same grade. Second rounder because he moves well, but everything else needs improvement. I liked Jenkins much better last year and apparently he dominated this year.   

• Sympathy 1

On 12/30/2019 at 7:54 PM, maury77 said:

Niang is a fun player to watch in some ways. He's the fattest guy I've watched so far, but he moves pretty well. Good awareness and mental processing of what goes on around him. He looks like he has short arms, but he is good at gauging distance and hitting at maximum extension. Bad on his pass protection sets. I think he is a guard or center at the next level. 3-4th rounder. 

I absolutely love that tape. He's massive and definitely needs to drop around 30-40 lbs. but he moves well and bends well ad explodes from his hips.....not above his waist. I'm only basing it on the last video but he looks like a prototypical RT. I agree about the short arms but he uses them well and keeps the defender at arms length.

If there is a run on tackles, which I think there will be he has second round potential. Big guys that move like that are rare but I think he'll lack the length to warrant a higher pick. 

Time to watch some more of him and Becton. Could you imagine those two bookends? They'd be the biggest in NFL history and they both look like players.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I wouldn't be surprised if Becton is the first tackle off the board. Just started into some of his tape but he is mammoth and moves like a gazelle for that size. He is going to measure and test off the charts for someone that size and he has the tape behind it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

On 12/19/2019 at 7:35 PM, King P said:

Mekhi Becton is a guy I really like at LT.

If we go WR in the 1st, he's definitely who I'd want in the 2nd if he's still there

@TomShane

This is the guy that reminds me of Ogden. He's huge and he can move.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, RobR said:

Just watched some more tape and I'm totally in agreement. There is no way that he should be considered as a first rounder and it's not even close. 

He does possess a great first step which helps him in those pulls but he's underwhelming everywhere else to be considered a first rounder. He has some tiny arms and lets the defender into him consistently and tries to block with his head which is never good.

I'd give him the same grade. Second rounder because he moves well, but everything else needs improvement. I liked Jenkins much better last year and apparently he dominated this year.   

Green Bay moved him to guard, which was smart because he had issues at center.  

I wouldn't be surprised if Becton is the first tackle off the board. Just started into some of his tape but he is mammoth and moves like a gazelle for that size. He is going to measure and test off the charts for someone that size and he has the tape behind it. 

Do you like him at 11? I think Becton and Jones could both move into the 1st as the draft process progresses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, maury77 said:

Do you like him at 11? I think Becton and Jones could both move into the 1st as the draft process progresses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm having a hard time finding tape on him but from what I've seen the answer would be yes. I easily see him flying up the draft boards as we get closer.

Wirfs has become my top tackle the more I deep dive. He’s just got all the athleticism you want and the aggression to boot. 
Thomas is least likely to bust. 
I don’t love Wills. He’s good but I hate his choppy slide and his lack of dominance in the run game. He plays vertical too much for my liking too.

After them tho I love Wanogho. That dude is gonna come in and be a great pass blocker from day 1. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Wirfs has become my top tackle the more I deep dive. He’s just got all the athleticism you want and the aggression to boot. 
Thomas is least likely to bust. 
I don’t love Wills. He’s good but I hate his choppy slide and his lack of dominance in the run game. He plays vertical too much for my liking too.

After them tho I love Wanogho. That dude is gonna come in and be a great pass blocker from day 1. 

Wanogho, Austin Jackson, and Beckton are the three guys in that "next tier" of OTs that I'm really, really curious about where they end up going.  Do all 3 get taken in Round 1?  Do any of them crack the Top 15 or 20?  How far would the Jets have to trade up to get one of those guys assuming they miss out on the Tier 1 guys like Wirfs, Thomas, etc. with their first pick?