2020 Draft OL thread

maury77

7 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I can’t fully buy into Wills like I have with Thomas and Wirfs.

I still have no opinion on Wills besides that one tape. I can't picture anyone surpassing Thomas and with Wirfs as a can't miss prospect I'll put heavy scrutiny on him. 

This is setting up for a competent GM's dream. Easily the best OT and WR draft I have seen in at least over a decade and I don't say that lightly....at least not at the OT position. 

• Sympathy 1

Just now, RobR said:

I still have no opinion on Wills besides that one tape. I can't picture anyone surpassing Thomas and with Wirfs as a can't miss prospect I'll put heavy scrutiny on him. 

This is setting up for a competent GM's dream. Easily the best OT and WR draft I have seen in at least over a decade and I don't say that lightly....at least not at the OT position. 

It’s a good situation for Joe Douglas. Wills is a legitimately good player but watching him doesn’t do the thing that watching Wirfs and Thomas does. He’s missing the aggression that those two seem to convert into performance effortlessly.

On 1/10/2020 at 9:43 PM, RobR said:

Here is some more Wirfs tape two years ago. If two tackles go ahead of him and he is available at 11 I'm pouncing on him in a heartbeat. He has some aspects of his game that needs improving (still dropping that head in 2019) but he is as plug and play ready that I wouldn't consider him a rookie. Combine movements will be huge for him.....no one is worried about the strength.

Wirfs just declared, so the jets are in decent shape to come out with a tackle in the top 2 rounds.

• Upvote 1

On 12/22/2019 at 9:18 AM, maury77 said:

Andrew Thomas - This kid was built in a lab by someone looking to make a LT prototype. Looks bigger than either of the Alabama kids. Moves very well going forward, but he lumbers a little bit in pass protection. His pass sets are great, but once the defender engages, Thomas doesn't move quite as well as the Bama kids.Thomas is very clean technically and seeing him get low and explode into the defender is very impressive for a guy his size. Also a really bright kid who passes off the first defender to pick up the second defender with ease. I don't think Thomas is going to test as well athletically as some of the other top tier OT prospects, but he is a very high floor player who should be able to start right away as a rookie. I'd be very happy to see him in green. 

He's my favorite as well but no chance he's there at 11. Zip. Zero.

Hope one of the top three tackles falls to eleven. Would be a no brainer. Will be keeping my eye on Josh Jones. Everything I’ve read makes it seem like he’s a potential target if they move down.

Very curious to see how he and Wanogho perform at the Senior Bowl. Practices next week already. Rosters look pretty solid.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Just about every mock I've seen or done has 3 OTs off the board and 2 WRs gone by 11, with the Jets getting sniped by the Browns with an OT just before they pick.

We'll be very very lucky if we leave with any of the 5

• Upvote 1

And this OT class gets even deeper. Here is some impressive tape for a future RT.  

We need to trade down, accumulate picks, and put our trust in JD. There is no excuses because our needs finally align with this draft and it's a good one if you need offensive talent. 

Hopefully Tua and Herbert drop and someone rings our phone. 

Watch both tackles in this video. Any thoughts @Lith

@Warfish 

9 hours ago, RobR said:

And this OT class gets even deeper. Here is some impressive tape for a future RT.  

We need to trade down, accumulate picks, and put our trust in JD. There is no excuses because our needs finally align with this draft and it's a good one if you need offensive talent. 

@Warfish 

i think a trade back scenario will be a real possibility, because i think 3 qbs go in the top 10 and at least 1 of cee dee / jeudy.  guys will drop to 11, and i think wilfs or jills will be there as well.  could be a huge decision for douglas, do you take the OT at 11 and call it a success or trade back and roll the dice that your guy will still be there?  

while the jets need OL more than any other position, most teams may think with the OL depth they can wait until a later round to get one.  i really think the jets will get one of the top OT at 11 if they want.

What’s going to be the most fun to watch with the tackles is scheme fits. Jets run some ZBS, Pollack has historically favored the lighter, athletic guys, Douglas was presumably part of the decision making process that led to a trade down and selection of a lighter, more athletic guy...and the top three tackles in the draft are 320+.

All three also appear to be great athletes so perhaps it’s a best of both worlds situation. But the guys who fit the Pollack mold and seem more like Dillard (Eagles’ top pick last year) are Jackson and Jones and they’re projected a little later right now. After years of clamoring for a trade down, could this be the year we don’t really want it (if a top 3 tackle is available) but get it?

• Upvote 1

Wirfs is officially in the draft!

I also saw Lloyd Cushenberry the center from LSU also declared. He’s big at 6’4 315 but I admittedly don’t know where he slots (2nd round?)?

It also helps that Jefferson is in as well as Patrick Queen - I love Jefferson for the Jets as a second rounder and have no interest in Queen, but if he goes in the second it just pushes another player down to us. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, RobR said:

@Warfish 

Have nto watched the tape, but I am surprised by all of the hype that seems to be starting for Isaiah WIlson.  Always thought of him as a solid RT who would probably need a year or so before he could contribute.   I assumed he would be a day 3 pick, and now I am seeing porjecitons that he could sneak into round 1; maybe the next guy after the big 3..  Big guy, moves well for such a big man.  He just seems to be one of those guys who manages to keep defenders off his QB, but he doesn't always look good doing it.  I am more confident in him as pass blocker than run blocker.

• Upvote 1

On 1/15/2020 at 1:08 AM, jetstream23 said:

Just about every mock I've seen or done has 3 OTs off the board and 2 WRs gone by 11, with the Jets getting sniped by the Browns with an OT just before they pick.

I'm not seeing that nearly as often.

If the top 3 QBs (Burrow, Tua, Herbert) go...and the top 3 defenders (Young, Okuhdah and Derrick Brown) go, then one of the 5 drop to us.  Throw in the possibility that if Brown goes before CAR picks, they may need to consider Simmons now, and a few other random factors (such as Gettleman and who knows what the f*** he'll do), and I'd say there's at least a 50-50 chance one of those 5 is available at 11.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I'm not seeing that nearly as often.

If the top 3 QBs (Burrow, Tua, Herbert) go...and the top 3 defenders (Young, Okuhdah and Derrick Brown) go, then one of the 5 drop to us.  Throw in the possibility that if Brown goes before CAR picks, they may need to consider Simmons now, and a few other random factors (such as Gettleman and who knows what the f*** he'll do), and I'd say there's at least a 50-50 chance one of those 5 is available at 11.  

It's my risk-averse nature to plan for the worst while hoping for the best. lol

Your argument is perfect for why one of those guys should be there at #11.  I'd even add that defenders could be taken higher than they deserve because there aren't as many strong defensive prospects as there are guys on offense.

QBs and defenders taken in that Top 10 will determine what we get for sure!  There are no Top-10 worthy RBs or TEs this year IMO.

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

It's my risk-averse nature to plan for the worst while hoping for the best. lol

Your argument is perfect for why one of those guys should be there at #11.  I'd even add that defenders could be taken higher than they deserve because there aren't as many strong defensive prospects as there are guys on offense.

QBs and defenders taken in that Top 10 will determine what we get for sure!  There are no Top-worthy RBs or TEs this year IMO.

If you mean top-10-worthy, many here have argued there never should be :)

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, derp said:

What’s going to be the most fun to watch with the tackles is scheme fits. Jets run some ZBS, Pollack has historically favored the lighter, athletic guys, Douglas was presumably part of the decision making process that led to a trade down and selection of a lighter, more athletic guy...and the top three tackles in the draft are 320+.

All three also appear to be great athletes so perhaps it’s a best of both worlds situation. But the guys who fit the Pollack mold and seem more like Dillard (Eagles’ top pick last year) are Jackson and Jones and they’re projected a little later right now. After years of clamoring for a trade down, could this be the year we don’t really want it (if a top 3 tackle is available) but get it?

Why are we running zone blocking ugh

Fire Gase

10 hours ago, Lith said:

Have nto watched the tape, but I am surprised by all of the hype that seems to be starting for Isaiah WIlson.  Always thought of him as a solid RT who would probably need a year or so before he could contribute.   I assumed he would be a day 3 pick, and now I am seeing porjecitons that he could sneak into round 1; maybe the next guy after the big 3..  Big guy, moves well for such a big man.  He just seems to be one of those guys who manages to keep defenders off his QB, but he doesn't always look good doing it.  I am more confident in him as pass blocker than run blocker.

Just watching that film against Bama makes me a believer. I still wonder how many of these RT only's kick inside and become dominant guards at the next level. He's yet another massive guy that moves well.

5 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I don’t recall ever seeing a draft class this loaded at OT

The last time was maybe 2006 with Brick, McNeil and Whitworth

This class is even better and it isn't close. Give it a month or so and the talking heads will start chirping about how stacked this OT class is.

• Upvote 1

I was revisiting some of Isaiah Wilson tape and Im sold he's more than a project he can start day one for anyone in the league.

Also Mekhi Becton is really really mean if you pull up any of his tape you see him throwing guys all around.

Yet to see Matt Hennessy (Brother of Thomas our LGS) and Kevin Dotson get the recognition they deserve.

Not really realistic but would love to have a combination of Jeudy in the 1st Becton in the 2nd and Isaiah Wilson and Matt Hennessy in the 3rd and Kevin Dotson in the 4th. 

11 hours ago, RobR said:

Just watching that film against Bama makes me a believer. I still wonder how many of these RT only's kick inside and become dominant guards at the next level. He's yet another massive guy that moves well.

Is there a solid sample size of guys moving from tackle to guard and being successful?  I know Scherff was a OT who did it but who else?

If a guy is a good OT in college but is short and/or has short arms then I get it or if they are better run blockers but can’t handle speed on the edge, I see that too. But it seems like the Tackle to Guard is mentioned a lot on the board and for a guy like Wilson who is 6’7 why would we move him inside?