Jump to content
maury77

2020 Draft OL thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Is there a solid sample size of guys moving from tackle to guard and being successful?  I know Scherff was a OT who did it but who else?

If a guy is a good OT in college but is short and/or has short arms then I get it or if they are better run blockers but can’t handle speed on the edge, I see that too. But it seems like the Tackle to Guard is mentioned a lot on the board and for a guy like Wilson who is 6’7 why would we move him inside?

I'm not specifically saying move Wilson inside but a bunch of these tackles will be doing exactly that at the next level.

A couple of first rounders that come to mind are Peat and Fluker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Look at sewell, my god.

Yeah.  He won the Outland Trophy.  Would def be a top 5 pick ic he were eligible now.  Hes a monster.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, RobR said:

I'm not specifically saying move Wilson inside but a bunch of these tackles will be doing exactly that at the next level.

A couple of first rounders that come to mind are Peat and Fluker.

Great call on Peat.  Fluker to me is more someone who wasn't good at tackle, so they moved him to guard and he is not good at guard either.

When we are looking at the Wilson/Beckton's of the draft, dont forget how well Orlando Brown has played for the Ravens.  When you are as bid as these guys are its simply very difficult to get around them and Brown was considered to have much less play strength then Wilson or Beckton.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zack Martin was a left tackle for three years in college.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, derp said:

Zack Martin was a left tackle for three years in college.

Guys change positions all the time on OL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



So I thought this Daniel Jeremiah video is interesting. As some of you may recall, Jeremiah was being rumored to join the Jets front office when Douglas was hired due to the relationship they have with each other. In the video Jeremiah is asked to name a rising prospect .... and he names Mekhi Bechton, claiming that Bechton will be a top 10 pick at the end of the day. Given his connections to the Jets FO, I wonder if he is having the Bechton conversations with anybody from the Jets.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, maury77 said:

 

 


So I thought this Daniel Jeremiah video is interesting. As some of you may recall, Jeremiah was being rumored to join the Jets front office when Douglas was hired due to the relationship they have with each other. In the video Jeremiah is asked to name a rising prospect .... and he names Mekhi Bechton, claiming that Bechton will be a top 10 pick at the end of the day. Given his connections to the Jets FO, I wonder if he is having the Bechton conversations with anybody from the Jets.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Would love it if a fourth OT gets into the Tier 1 mix.

  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2020 at 7:58 AM, Guilhermezmc said:

Look at the DB at 2:23 lmao.

 

....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Patriot Killa and @Tony The Wiz. Here is some tape of Wills going against LSU this year. 

 

I'll do a quick breakdown on him since this is only the second film I've watched. 

Technique wise he is incredibly refined and you have to give some credit to Bamas recruiting and Oline coach. His stance, kick slides, get offs, and ARM PLACEMENT are top 90%. Check out the 4:35 and 8:04 marks. 

He never loses one snap in this game, dominates Chaisson badly, and is an excellent run blocker. Please give me some of your knocks on this guy.

All I've got is I'm scared of drafting Bama players high, especially Olineman. Measurements will also be huge for his stock but he looks fine too me in that regard. He's a plug or play RT all day, every day and very bust proof. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another tape from the year before against Georgia in the Championship Game. The more tape that I watch of him, the more I like him.

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RobR said:

@Patriot Killa and @Tony The Wiz. Here is some tape of Wills going against LSU this year. 

 

I'll do a quick breakdown on him since this is only the second film I've watched. 

Technique wise he is incredibly refined and you have to give some credit to Bamas recruiting and Oline coach. His stance, kick slides, get offs, and ARM PLACEMENT are top 90%. Check out the 4:35 and 8:04 marks. 

He never loses one snap in this game, dominates Chaisson badly, and is an excellent run blocker. Please give me some of your knocks on this guy.

All I've got is I'm scared of drafting Bama players high, especially Olineman. Measurements will also be huge for his stock but he looks fine too me in that regard. He's a plug or play RT all day, every day and very bust proof. 

Do you think he is strong enough to hold his ground against good power rushers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RobR said:

@Patriot Killa and @Tony The Wiz. Here is some tape of Wills going against LSU this year. 

 

I'll do a quick breakdown on him since this is only the second film I've watched. 

Technique wise he is incredibly refined and you have to give some credit to Bamas recruiting and Oline coach. His stance, kick slides, get offs, and ARM PLACEMENT are top 90%. Check out the 4:35 and 8:04 marks. 

He never loses one snap in this game, dominates Chaisson badly, and is an excellent run blocker. Please give me some of your knocks on this guy.

All I've got is I'm scared of drafting Bama players high, especially Olineman. Measurements will also be huge for his stock but he looks fine too me in that regard. He's a plug or play RT all day, every day and very bust proof. 

Curious if you think he can play on the left side. I think he has the athleticism and technique and I know he’s been protecting Tua’s blindside, but I read somewhere that he’s only played on the right side in his career, even in high school.

Check out his Auburn tape if you haven’t already. I’m certainly not as well-versed at analyzing the oline as you are, but it’s probably the best/most dominant performance from the top tier tackles I’ve seen so far (still have to watch more from Thomas).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2020 at 1:40 PM, maury77 said:

So I thought this Daniel Jeremiah video is interesting. As some of you may recall, Jeremiah was being rumored to join the Jets front office when Douglas was hired due to the relationship they have with each other. In the video Jeremiah is asked to name a rising prospect .... and he names Mekhi Bechton, claiming that Bechton will be a top 10 pick at the end of the day. Given his connections to the Jets FO, I wonder if he is having the Bechton conversations with anybody from the Jets.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Good ole Daniel Jeremiah!

0FFD2CA8-97C5-4183-A5A5-2C6FB0349DF5.thumb.jpeg.e70f4f74252c88f4cb6e56e4097fcd16.jpeg

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's another underrated prospect that I predict will fly up the draft board come April. Developmental guy, but he has all the tools to be a top tier LT if coached up properly.

Been calling him the best kept secret at OT

 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2020 at 3:40 PM, maury77 said:

 

 


So I thought this Daniel Jeremiah video is interesting. As some of you may recall, Jeremiah was being rumored to join the Jets front office when Douglas was hired due to the relationship they have with each other. In the video Jeremiah is asked to name a rising prospect .... and he names Mekhi Bechton, claiming that Bechton will be a top 10 pick at the end of the day. Given his connections to the Jets FO, I wonder if he is having the Bechton conversations with anybody from the Jets.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Nice 👍 

 

if this is true and it seems like Becton is REALLY picking up steam then this is down right fantastic news almost guaranteeing a top tier OT falls in the Jets lap at 11.   
 

there will be great options at WR or OL in the 2nd round. Take the OT at 11.

Honestly even the Jets can’t **** this up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, David Harris said:

Nice 👍 

 

if this is true and it seems like Becton is REALLY picking up steam then this is down right fantastic news almost guaranteeing a top tier OT falls in the Jets lap at 11.   
 

there will be great options at WR or OL in the 2nd round. Take the OT at 11.

Honestly even the Jets can’t **** this up 

I don't guarantee anything, but I think it is safe to say Burrow, Chase Young, Okudah, Tua and Justin Herbert go top 10 (if Daniel Jones can go top 10, Herbert can definitely go top 10). That's 5 picks right there. 4 of the remaining 5 picks would have to be OTs for the Jets to miss out on the top tier of tackles. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jvill 51 said:

Curious if you think he can play on the left side. I think he has the athleticism and technique and I know he’s been protecting Tua’s blindside, but I read somewhere that he’s only played on the right side in his career, even in high school.

Check out his Auburn tape if you haven’t already. I’m certainly not as well-versed at analyzing the oline as you are, but it’s probably the best/most dominant performance from the top tier tackles I’ve seen so far (still have to watch more from Thomas).

I completely agree with this. Everything is there for him to play LT, the only question is if he's comfortable doing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jvill 51 said:

Curious if you think he can play on the left side. I think he has the athleticism and technique and I know he’s been protecting Tua’s blindside, but I read somewhere that he’s only played on the right side in his career, even in high school.

Check out his Auburn tape if you haven’t already. I’m certainly not as well-versed at analyzing the oline as you are, but it’s probably the best/most dominant performance from the top tier tackles I’ve seen so far (still have to watch more from Thomas).

So question on this.  

Sam likes to roll out to his right a lot.  Would this increase the value of a great vs. good RT to the Jets?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, nycdan said:

So question on this.  

Sam likes to roll out to his right a lot.  Would this increase the value of a great vs. good RT to the Jets?

I would think in some ways Sam’s style of play actually decreases the value of a great RT, but there’s several factors at play. His ability to step up and break the pocket against pressure from the right side is one of the better parts of his game and has masked just how massive the deficiency at RT has been. It’s bad enough even with Sam’s athleticism, but we saw as soon as a stiff like Falk or an older McCown had to take over just how bad it actually is.

At the same time it’s still a massive need. The amount of constant, almost instant pressure from the right side forces Sam to have to make plays off script way too often to have any chance at a successful offense, especially at this point in his career when he should be more concerned with mastering the mental aspects of the position and cleaning up his footwork. Ideally fixing the RT spot will allow Sam’s ability to break the pocket to become a bonus feature to the offense, like in the game against Dallas, rather than an every down necessity. And if we’re talking about designed rollouts and sprint outs, which we should be using more than other teams given Sam’s ability to make plays on the move, then yes that would increase the value of RT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After reading through the Senior Bowl reports (taking into account they positive are usually a bit overblown), it really seems like Becton could wind up leapfrogging some of these tackles and going in the top 10.  It seems like both Becton needs "refinement" and Josh Jones needs to add strength, but these guys both seem like they are closer to the top 3 then previously thought.

I also saw a  mention that "Jets sources" are saying the team is leaning OT or CB in the first round and not a WR.  I dont think any CB outside of Okaduh is worth a pick at 11.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, King P said:

Here's another underrated prospect that I predict will fly up the draft board come April. Developmental guy, but he has all the tools to be a top tier LT if coached up properly.

Been calling him the best kept secret at OT

 

Isn't UCONN where Fatukasi went to school?  Perhaps they have a little something going up there with these unpolished players.

Where would you guess somebody takes a flyer on Peart?  5th round?

He looks the part but is also playing RT in that video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI - Kiper currently has Matt Peart as his #6 OT, above some other notable names like Austin Jackson and Lucas Niang.  His Top 4 seem to be the concensus now amongst most Draftniks and the people around here (even if we all order them a little differently).  One name that is surprisingly missing (at least to me) is Prince Wanogho.  I'd think he would be a Top 10 guy.

1931023959_ScreenShot2020-01-25at4_11_56PM.png.aacd301c735ad872e0207567c3769105.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Isn't UCONN where Fatukasi went to school?  Perhaps they have a little something going up there with these unpolished players.

Where would you guess somebody takes a flyer on Peart?  5th round?

He looks the part but is also playing RT in that video.

He's played all over the line. Left, Right, and Guard.

I'd be ecstatic if he was there in the 5th. In all reality, he'll be gone by the 3rd (maybe even late 2nd)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saahdiq Charles was LSU’s LT, obviously they had an outstanding season. Looks extremely athletic albeit a bit undersized. Think his combine will be impressive. Build reminds me of Brick a little. Experience at LT, RT, and LG. Will have to answer questions about a suspension last year - rumors are that it was related to multiple failed drug tests. Day 2/early day 3 guy right now, I think he’s somebody to keep an eye on along with those other tier 2 athletic tackles like Jones and Peart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2020 at 9:23 AM, maury77 said:

I don't guarantee anything, but I think it is safe to say Burrow, Chase Young, Okudah, Tua and Justin Herbert go top 10 (if Daniel Jones can go top 10, Herbert can definitely go top 10). That's 5 picks right there. 4 of the remaining 5 picks would have to be OTs for the Jets to miss out on the top tier of tackles. 

Throw in Brown and Simmons?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Throw in Brown and Simmons?

Brown, yes. Simmons, I’m not so sure


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So a guy I know nothing at all about has caught my attention.  Center Cesar Ruiz from Mich.  He seems to be listed as roughly the third-best Center in the draft and the only true Junior.  The more I read on him, the more I wonder why he has been under the radar.

Big (6'4" 320), strong and reasonably quick for his size.  Young (he's still 20).  Experienced (3-year starter) and he can play Guard or Center.  I have not read a single red flag on him and basically, he feels like a perfect guy to plug into the mix.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/cesar-ruiz/HRgG1Dhpp7

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2020/2/9/21125461/2020-nfl-draft-prospect-center-cesar-ruiz

2nd round might be too high although both Kiper and McShay have mocked him to us in that round.  

Anyone have some intel on him?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2020 at 10:15 PM, RobR said:

This class is even better and it isn't close. Give it a month or so and the talking heads will start chirping about how stacked this OT class is.

Becton I’m seeing projected going in the 20’s in some mocks I think he’s gonna be an absolute stud LT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2020 at 9:50 AM, BCJet said:

Is there a solid sample size of guys moving from tackle to guard and being successful?  I know Scherff was a OT who did it but who else?

If a guy is a good OT in college but is short and/or has short arms then I get it or if they are better run blockers but can’t handle speed on the edge, I see that too. But it seems like the Tackle to Guard is mentioned a lot on the board and for a guy like Wilson who is 6’7 why would we move him inside?

Zack Martin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2020 at 10:26 AM, nycdan said:

So question on this.  

Sam likes to roll out to his right a lot.  Would this increase the value of a great vs. good RT to the Jets?

Sure it would

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...