2020 Draft OL thread

maury77

What are people's thoughts on Andrew Thomas these days? He seemed like the prototype LT to me based on the tape and quite athletic (but not freakish). Why are people so down on him? I think his technique is the best of the big 4, especially in pass blocking. Dude is a tap dancer on the edge. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, TheMo said:

What are people's thoughts on Andrew Thomas these days? He seemed like the prototype LT to me based on the tape and quite athletic (but not freakish). Why are people so down on him? I think his technique is the best of the big 4, especially in pass blocking. Dude is a tap dancer on the edge. 

I dont think anyone is down on him, hes the typical prospect who doesnt have "buzz" so it seems like he is "falling" on draft boards.  He has the size, experience and production to be a 10 year starter at LT - for us he could start day 1 at RT and hopefully Fant can hold it down at LT for a couple years.

7 hours ago, BCJet said:

I dont think anyone is down on him, hes the typical prospect who doesnt have "buzz" so it seems like he is "falling" on draft boards.  He has the size, experience and production to be a 10 year starter at LT - for us he could start day 1 at RT and hopefully Fant can hold it down at LT for a couple years.

I guess my thing is I'd probably still take him over Becton or Wills. Not sure how those two leapfrogged him. Becton i like his upside and would have no problem taking him at 11. But how do you pass on Thomas for him? Thomas I think has a similar enough ceiling but his floor is much higher. 

Here is some more tape from Becton during his true freshman year. Since I always talk about watching their feet just watch Becton in this breakdown. He's incredibly light on his feet and this was when he was 18 years old. @jetstream23

Just look for #73 because he plays both positions throughout the game.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

On 4/7/2020 at 11:11 PM, RobR said:

Here is some more tape from Becton during his true freshman year. Since I always talk about watching their feet just watch Becton in this breakdown. He's incredibly light on his feet and this was when he was 18 years old. @jetstream23

Just look for #73 because he plays both positions throughout the game.  

The talk about Becton not having technique is ridiculous 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, derp said:

Any day 3 tackles we like? Fant, Edoga, and McDermott are the only tackles on the roster. McDermott is probably fine as a 4th tackle but I they could certainly draft a guy.

Not sure if all of these guys will make it to day three:

• Ben Bartch
  • Matt Peart
  • Jack Driscoll
  • Alex Taylor
  • Terence Steele
  • David Pinter - may need to move inside to guard
  • Saahdiq Charles - may need to move inside to guard
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nyjbuddy said:

Not sure if all of these guys will make it to day three:

• Ben Bartch
  • Matt Peart
  • Jack Driscoll
  • Alex Taylor
  • Terence Steele
  • David Pinter - may need to move inside to guard
  • Saahdiq Charles - may need to move inside to guard

Can't see Peart making it to day three and I absolutely abhor Alex Taylor so he'll be there. Agree that both Pinter and Charles move inside and I like both of them and I could see both being available. 

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Oh man. This just clicked for me. The Browns are super analytics heavy. Their new GM is also from the Eagles like Douglas - Andrew Berry. Harvard football player, econ undergrad and a masters in computer science from there as well.

Ezra Cleveland has great measurables and hit the short shuttle threshold that's been a pretty good marker for OL success. The Eagles' last first round pick, tackle Andre Dillard, also hit the threshold. Had me wondering about Ezra Cleveland and the Jets. But the Browns thing makes a ton of sense too.

The Browns need a LT only too with Conklin at RT so the top guys are a little more questionable (Wirfs, WIlls need to change positions - Becton is gigantic).  If the Jets take a tackle and he's theoretically not ready for the left side or never going to play on the left side I think that's suboptimal but fine. For the Browns if he's not on the left side there's nowhere to play him.

Not sure if people are guessing because they're smart and pieced it together but this makes a lot of sense. Can't believe I'm so slow on the uptake here. Guess it's been a quiet draft year for me.

So as much as I love the OTs in this draft I’ve decided to rank this not good IOL class.

1) Cesar Ruiz (Round 2): concerns- play recognition but like that’s it and he’s 20 years old so I’m not that worried

2) Jonah Jackson (Round 2): concerns- Athleticism might not be viable in zone Scheme

3) John Simpson (Round 2): concerns- Nothing stands out but nothing about him pops

4) Matt Hennessy (Round 3): Concerns- play strength but he looks like a zone scheme 

5) Damien Lewis (Round 3): concerns- inconsistent (at his best I love him)

6) Calvin Throckmorton (Round 3): concerns- athleticism but as a G he could be really good because he’s technically sound 

7) Lloyd Cushenberry (Round 4): concerns- strength, anchor, gets tall, lunges because he’s late to recognize stunts

8. Tyler Biadasz (Round 4): concerns- athleticism but like to an extreme amount

9) Shane Lemieux (Round 4): concerns- how did this guy get so much hype? Lacks strength, lacks anchor but a good fit in zone as he develops

Disqualified: Netane Muti (Injury) Robert Hunt (no tape) 

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

So as much as I love the OTs in this draft I’ve decided to rank this not good IOL class.

1) Cesar Ruiz (Round 2): concerns- play recognition but like that’s it and he’s 20 years old so I’m not that worried

2) Jonah Jackson (Round 2): concerns- Athleticism might not be viable in zone Scheme

3) John Simpson (Round 2): concerns- Nothing stands out but nothing about him pops

4) Matt Hennessy (Round 3): Concerns- play strength but he looks like a zone scheme 

5) Damien Lewis (Round 3): concerns- inconsistent (at his best I love him)

6) Calvin Throckmorton (Round 3): concerns- athleticism but as a G he could be really good because he’s technically sound 

7) Lloyd Cushenberry (Round 4): concerns- strength, anchor, gets tall, lunges because he’s late to recognize stunts

8. Tyler Biadasz (Round 4): concerns- athleticism but like to an extreme amount

9) Shane Lemieux (Round 4): concerns- how did this guy get so much hype? Lacks strength, lacks anchor but a good fit in zone as he develops

Disqualified: Netane Muti (Injury) Robert Hunt (no tape) 

Great read but now you have to add in some of the tackles that are going to kick inside. ? A guy like Saahdiq Charles I think would be higher than most on this list if you consider him a guard although he does have character concerns.

30 minutes ago, RobR said:

Great read but now you have to add in some of the tackles that are going to kick inside. ? A guy like Saahdiq Charles I think would be higher than most on this list if you consider him a guard although he does have character concerns.

I didn’t want to do that since Charles could be a swing tackle/ guard. The same goes for Driscoll who would excel as a zone-read guard and Hakeem Adeniji who I’ve also fallen in love with. Basically those 3 could still end up being tackles.

Saahdiq Charles (Round 2 G/ Round 3 T): It’s like he wants you to punch him in the chest which is weird because his base isn’t super strong, but he can move and create impact. He has character concerns 

Jack Driscoll (Round 3 G/ Round 3 T): concerns - Length is lacking and strength moving vertically isn’t always there but I love him and think he’ll have a long career.

Hakeem Adeniji (Round 3 G / Round 3 T): Take what I said about Driscoll and add a little sloppiness to it. More frame than Driscoll so he can maybe improve his play strength. I also don’t see how he couldn’t come in day 1 and push any player on our OL except McGovern.

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I didn’t want to do that since Charles could be a swing tackle/ guard. The same goes for Driscoll who would excel as a zone-read guard. Basically those 2 could still end up being tackles.

Saahdiq Charles (Round 2 G/ Round 3 T): It’s like he wants you to punch him in the chest which is weird because his base isn’t super strong, but he can move and create impact. He has character concerns 

Jack Driscoll (Round 3 G/ Round 3 T): concerns - Length is lacking and strength moving vertically isn’t always there but I love him and think he’ll have a long career.

I've watched enough of Charles to think he is solely a guard at the next level. He just doesn't have the foot quickness to play at tackle. I need to start doing some more homework on Driscoll, whom I have no clue about and Cleveland. 

1 minute ago, RobR said:

I've watched enough of Charles to think he is solely a guard at the next level. He just doesn't have the foot quickness to play at tackle. I need to start doing some more homework on Driscoll, whom I have no clue about and Cleveland. 

I added Adeniji to the post. He’s a nice player that looks like he can be more than he’s considered as being. Good athlete.

I can buy that with Charles. He seems more comfortable initiating contact on the move than in pass sets because his lateral movement leaves a lot to be desired.

Just now, kdels62 said:

I added Adeniji to the post. He’s a nice player that looks like he can be more than he’s considered as being. Good athlete.

What do you think of Arlington Hambright? Might not be a good fit for the Jets but he's beyond under the radar. Another guy I like at guard is Michael Onwenu and we apparently have interest. Whenever I watched Ruiz this guy always flashed for me. I believe a 5th year senior.

22 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I can buy that with Charles. He seems more comfortable initiating contact on the move than in pass sets because his lateral movement leaves a lot to be desired.

Here is Hambright against Oregon every snap. He's the LT #51.

On 4/16/2020 at 9:24 PM, RobR said:

What do you think of Arlington Hambright? Might not be a good fit for the Jets but he's beyond under the radar. Another guy I like at guard is Michael Onwenu and we apparently have interest. Whenever I watched Ruiz this guy always flashed for me. I believe a 5th year senior.

I haven’t seen anything on Hambright yet. I like Onwenu, he has nice strength and I think he’s not immobile at all. I have questions about how he fits into the scheme but I like him boatloads more than Bredesen. He’d have been next on the list since I think a 5th round on him would be a pick well spent.

• Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I haven’t seen anything on Hambright yet. I like Onwenu, he has nice strength and I think he’s not immobile at all. I have questions about his how he fits into the scheme but I like him boatloads more than Bredesen. He’d have been next on the list since I think a 5th round on him would be a pick well spent.

I should have said Hambright would be a fit for the Jets. I still had my Steelers GM hat on.....my bad. He's long and athletic but I can't see him staying at tackle in the NFL. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RobR said:

Here is Hambright against Oregon every snap. He's the LT #51.

That was interesting. I went to check his measurables after watching it and some things were obvious. The dude is clearly an athlete and not very tall. I watched that tho and thought he had to have long arms because they look long on his body. Arm length is only 32 5/8 inches, so he just has thin arms. I don’t love that on guards, it might just be preference but I like thicker limbed guys in the middle. 

All that being said he can move. His pass sets are aren’t good but he looks fluid moving his feet on screens. I can see us taking a 6th round flier on a guy like this and it paying off in 2 years.

• Upvote 1

Finally took the time too watch some Ezra Cleveland and based off of this game I'm not a big fan at all. He lacks strength and moves slow. With his short arms he lets the defender get into him. Looks clumsy at times with his footwork. Never drives his defender. I don't think he's a tackle at the next level.

• Upvote 1

Cleveland looks like a completely different player in this game against Fresno State. His tape was terrible in the Fl St. game but the heat index could have been a factor especially for someone from Idaho.

Jeremiah’s top 150, interesting tackle notes. Cleveland for his round one hype is at 53. Hunt is listed as a tackle, as is Charles, they’re at 60 and 63 ahead of Wilson. Adeniji got hit with OL, Dotson the only one listed as OL his top 150. Outside the third round guys (also Bartch and Peart) only Driscoll and Heck on the list. Not a lot in round 4, 5 range for the Jets. Perhaps biggest note is no Prince Tega Wanogho or Lucas Niang. Imagine he knows stuff on their medical.