Huge game for the Steelers versus the Jets

jeTMAC

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not the end all, but one benefit of 12 instead of 8 is it makes the 5th year option less of a gamble for a borderline player.

It's also more than just that one time $5MM or whatever differential. It also affects extending the player early (or anyway, it can) since the 5th year option $ kinda becomes the baseline amount for any discussion talks. It makes it easier to keep your good players without hampering your ability to sign (or pay more for) others. 

Look at a player like Mo. In the preseason of 2014 (maybe even 2015's preseason as well), a Mo extension would have looked like about $10MM. Another season under his belt, with 12 sacks and a pro bowl selection, plus getting franchise tagged at $16MM for the upcoming year. That FT number then became the new floor for a contract extension. It might have benefitted us in another way: we don't know that Mo would have mailed it in if his contract wasn't for 60-70% more per season, and he'd have to keep from getting cut into year 4 to make the same $ he was guaranteed on day 1 on the contract he ultimately got.

No it's not a reason to move down for a lesser prospect, but it is a benefit.

I believe a solid draft strategy is to never pick anyone in the top 10 unless they are a game changer.  Can a DT or DB be a game changer?  Yes but we're talking guys like Donald, Suh, Lott, Lynch, Revis, Gilmore.  Taking guys like Q Williams and Leo Williams just because they are the highest ranked DL in their respective draft was foolish because you have to look at how they rank historically.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, deucebag said:

I believe a solid draft strategy is to never pick anyone in the top 10 unless they are a game changer.  Can a DT or DB be a game changer?  Yes but we're talking guys like Donald, Suh, Lott, Lynch, Revis, Gilmore.  Taking guys like Q Williams and Leo Williams just because they are the highest ranked DL in their respective draft was foolish because you have to look at how they rank historically.

true...it seems weird to me that our team has basically proven this point year after year but we still do it. Joe D can bring the change! I hope he brings the change. MAKE THE JETS GREAT AGAIN!!

athletic beat writer breakdown they win if section

Kaboly (Steelers): They stick to the basics, stick to the basics, stick to the basics. They can’t overthink themselves on offense. They need to be conservative, run the ball, be OK to punt the ball, take a chance or two and let their defense help them win the game. It’s worked against the Bengals, Browns and Cardinals, so why not the Jets?

Hughes (Jets): They must shut down running back James Conner and force rookie quarterback Devlin Hodges to beat them. If that happens, they have a chance. Hodges is a decent game-manager, but Gregg Williams can expose him in long-yardage situations. The savvy coordinator is historically good against rookie quarterbacks. If he pieces together another impressive game plan and Sam Darnold plays as he did in the first half against Baltimore, the Jets have a shot.

was never really a fan of him.  didn't like the whole "tripping" incident.  but - with how he did this year (no bell, no AB, no big ben) and a back up qb.  it's impressive.  

The tripping incident was a real embarrassment. I’m pretty sure he’ll regret that till the day he dies. But when you look at his body of work outside of that, it really is amazing. Plus the fact he had AB there for years and managed to somehow keep that dude under control. That alone is impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

He walked into a team that was built and had just drafted Ben Rothlisburger.
His gm got him the QB, the oline, the D players and guys like Brown and Bell.  Consistently buildss the oline and pass rushers
If you want to heap praise on anyone it is the gm and scouting dept.
No one talks about Kevin Colbert.

Great players can’t overcome bad coaching-Bill Bellicheck. There’s some odd hate for the guy with PIT fans. I would take Tomlin in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Tomlin sucks. Steelers schedule worked out for them. Pats roasted them as badly as they beat us, the Bills beat them in Pittsburgh. If the Steelers played in the AFC East they lose 4 games to the Bills & Patriots and miss the playoffs. They beat the Bengals AT HOME, and then beat Ryan Findlay by 6 in Cincy. I'm not impressed. 

Tomlins got a top defense & a top 5 Oline. In this watered down NFL sometimes that's enough to compete for a Playoff spot. 

Lets ruin their 2020 season & draft CeeDee lamb.