Chad Pennington defends Gase

3 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

"Hey, remember that former Jet you despised with every fiber of your being?  Well yeah, funny thing, he fully supports the current Jet you despise with every fiber of your being."

Now, I simply feel more confident than ever before that Gase was an awful hire in every imaginable way.

Nope.  Never hated Pennington

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jetster said:

Why does everyone HATE Chad Pennington? We probably win a Super Bowl if Herm Edwards doesn't play like a pussy & set Brien up for failure in one of the toughest places to kick in winter. 

Yea, take a knee & lose a few more yards. Herm let that lucky azz Giants fumble go to his big finely quaffed afro with the beautiful razor cut part. YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME! 

Or....take a knee...try a FG. 

They never even made it past the divisional round and now they suddenly "probably win a Super Bowl"?  That's a good one.  Meanwhile, it was special teams and defense that got them on the scoreboard that day, as the ole noodle contributed absolutely nothing of value whatsoever, him being right up there with Mr Play Not to Lose as the top reasons for that loss.

• Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, JiF said:

That is the day the true colors of a one Chadwick Pennington really shined for us all to see.  For him to go off on someone that earned the right to be in that room that day from grinding in a very competitive industry is all you every needed to know about that fraud. 

Exactly.  The guy was a con.

I was hoping for great things and then once I saw the Raiders expose him in the playoffs I knew there was no way the Jets would go far with him.  After the arm injuries it was way more of a pure waste of time. 15 play drives with everything needing to go perfectly in order to score a TD.  Can you imagine Pennington playing on these 2 teams Darnold has been strangled with (he always had a very strong OL and Curtis Martin to fall back on)?  I don't think the Jets put up 10 TDs in each of the entire 2 years.

He parlayed "Completion %" on checkdowns into a huge contract at the time.  I think close to $60Mill.

What's interesting is I think he spent most of his time in college when not playing football learning how to be as smooth as possible with the media....and it worked.  By the time he went off in the press conference he had already been paid.  NO WAY he would have done that prior.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

They never even made it past the divisional round and now they suddenly "probably win a Super Bowl"?  That's a good one.  Meanwhile, it was special teams and defense that got them on the scoreboard that day, as the ole noodle contributed absolutely nothing of value whatsoever, him being right up there with Mr Play Not to Lose as the top reasons for that loss.

Killed Drew Brees the week before. Killed him dead.

F*ck you JI pricks. Jets legend. 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Killed Drew Brees the week before. Killed him dead.

F*ck you JI pricks. Jets legend. 

Sure, the Jets had a dominant defense and league's leading rusher, but by all means, clearly all of the credit goes to the noodle armed checkdown king any time things went right, while he is a blameless innocent victim even when contributing absolutely nothing, and outscored by both the defense and special teams.  That's not even to mention, the breaking news that a 3-point OT win is now apparently qualified as "killed".

If you define "legend" as a zero-time Pro Bowler who only broke 20 TDs once in his entire pro career and returned +1 or worse TD-to-INT rate in all but 2 of his seasons with the Jets, that's on you, but still doesn't do much to support your tantrum elicited by others' acknowledgement of little things like reality.

In the end, for whatever narrative anyone wants to go with here, he still ultimately contributed less to the Jets than another guy who's most famous for running into his teammate's ass.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

3 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Exactly.  The guy was a con.

I was hoping for great things and then once I saw the Raiders expose him in the playoffs I knew there was no way the Jets would go far with him.  After the arm injuries it was way more of a pure waste of time. 15 play drives with everything needing to go perfectly in order to score a TD.  Can you imagine Pennington playing on these 2 teams Darnold has been strangled with (he always had a very strong OL and Curtis Martin to fall back on)?  I don't think the Jets put up 10 TDs in each of the entire 2 years.

He parlayed "Completion %" on checkdowns into a huge contract at the time.  I think close to $60Mill.

What's interesting is I think he spent most of his time in college when not playing football learning how to be as smooth as possible with the media....and it worked.  By the time he went off in the press conference he had already been paid.  NO WAY he would have done that prior.

Agree with the entire post (except I'm not sure about that last paragraph.  Not saying it's wrong but I just had never heard it) but the stuff in bold is EXACTLY what I felt about the guy.  The only main thing you left out was when it was "Hail Mary" time, he would still throw a 2 yard pass.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Sure, the Jets had a dominant defense and league's leading rusher, but by all means, clearly all of the credit goes to the noodle armed checkdown king any time things went right, while he is a blameless innocent victim even when contributing absolutely nothing, and outscored by both the defense and special teams.  That's not even to mention, the breaking news that a 3-point OT win is now apparently qualified as "killed".

If you define "legend" as a zero-time Pro Bowler who only broke 20 TDs once in his entire pro career and returned +1 or worse TD-to-INT rate in all but 2 of his seasons with the Jets, that's on you, but still doesn't do much to support your tantrum elicited by others' acknowledgement of little things like reality.

In the end, for whatever narrative anyone wants to go with here, he still ultimately contributed less to the Jets than another guy who's most famous for running into his teammate's ass.

Took on one of the greatest QB's of all time on the road and defeated him in glorious fashion - For the second time that season. That deep ball to Moss will live in infamy. That league leading rusher had 3.7 YPC. Pennington carried us to the win on the road as the underdog. Try harder.

Pittsburgh game was poor. Still put us in a position to win twice on a bad day with a bum shoulder. Says a lot. Character. 

Horrendous teams around him for most of that time - When they were good so was he. I still chuckle at the time he cucked Brett Favre when that should have been his Jets team winning the division. Mangini in shambles. Jets Insider in shambles. Comfortably a Jets legend, I mean it isn't hard. 

I also like Sanchez. Good guy. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Still put us in a position to win twice on a bad day with a bum shoulder. Says a lot. Character.

You're trying to give a QB of all people praise for a day in which the defense scored 7, special teams scored 7, and offense scored 3.  That speaks loudly to how little basis in reality there is to any of these claims.  Of course, that's also pretty apparent when insisting the mediocre playing of a game for 10s of millions of dollars somehow correlates to "character".  If only the thousands of other players across the league all constantly playing hurt every year made you go "aw shucks" as much as the noodle, then everyone would be a legend.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Agree with the entire post (except I'm not sure about that last paragraph.  Not saying it's wrong but I just had never heard it) but the stuff in bold is EXACTLY what I felt about the guy.  The only main thing you left out was when it was "Hail Mary" time, he would still throw a 2 yard pass.

Yes, his degree is in journalism. He was very PR literate which is how many fans came to worship him and buy his aww shucks I just want to play football nonsense. Reality was he was shrewd and money focused like most players., conning the Jets into signing him to ridiculously overpriced contracts while lying to to fans it was team friendly

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

You're trying to give a QB of all people praise for a day in which the defense scored 7, special teams scored 7, and offense scored 3.  That speaks loudly to how little basis in reality there is to any of these claims.  Of course, that's also pretty apparent when insisting the mediocre playing of a game for 10s of millions of dollars somehow correlates to "character".  If only the thousands of other players across the league all constantly playing hurt every year made you go "aw shucks" as much as the noodle, then everyone would be a legend.

Exactly!

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/chad-pennington-on-firing-adam-gase-thats-not-the-answer
So we got Chad and Rex Ryan’s take. Anyone know what Curtis Martin thinks of Gase?
Keep in mind Chad works for the Jets (does film breakdowns on the team website) so he’s not going to say anything negative. 

I’m waiting for Pat Chafey’s take. I won’t take any of this serious until I hear what he has to say on the matter

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

21 hours ago, David Harris said:

Give Gase an OL and we’ll see.  Sam supports him so that’s all I care about 

When I was 22 I thought my boss was a great guy too. Turns out he didn’t really have my best interests in mind when he me me bleach-mop the floor of the walk-in freezer without the door open. 

On 12/20/2019 at 10:40 AM, Jets723 said:

Honestly it doesn’t matter.  He is gonna be here for at least another year so hopefully he proves us wrong and turns things around next years when we get healthy and add more talent

Exactly. At the end of the day what matters is that he's staying. Even if you hate him, the best thing is to just hope he improves, hope JD knows what he's doing, and hope the Jets can put a winning team on the field next season.

33 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Exactly. At the end of the day what matters is that he's staying. Even if you hate him, the best thing is to just hope he improves, hope JD knows what he's doing, and hope the Jets can put a winning team on the field next season.

Agreed.  It’s no secret that I didn’t want him hired but he is gonna be here.  IMO hiring another coach will hurt Sam’s development if he had to learn yet another playbook 

4 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Defining character as “does just enough to lose a close game, then acts real sad afterwards” is such a perfect distillation of Jets fan delusion

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

23 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I don't think he [Chad] works for the Jets.

Just going by what Summer of Sam said earlier in this thread:

He went on to say: " Keep in mind Chad works for the Jets (does film breakdowns on the team website) so he’s not going to say anything negative." 

I know if I worked for an outfit I sure wouldn't say anything negative unless something illegal or really bad was going on.  If they were just incompetent stumblebums, like the Jets ownership has been so far, I would just let it ride.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

For the JI second exodus crew: was @Pac fellating both Chad and Herm at the same time? 

If you're ever looking for a simple formula to determine who he came to the adamant defense of, just ask yourself the simple question, "who are the most indefensible boobs in Jets' history?"

Yes, it's a long list, I know.

• Upvote 1

On 12/20/2019 at 3:06 PM, CTM said:

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51ab1e20646facae87bde

your hatred knows no bounds

Chad was never a fraud and it's a damn shame Injuries robbed him of his chance to be a damn good QB. Why you beat the guy down with ridiculous theories is nuts. You didn't have to go to this level to bash a guy we all knew was going to be a fraction of his prior self after dealing with the injuries he sustained. You blamed him for that Raider playoff loss when out entire offense got manhandled even though he had one of the best years ever by a Jet QB.