As an absolute surprise to no one, Gase has lost the locker room

Ohhthepain

10 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

How about the job Brian Flores did this year with a Dolphins team that was crappy to begin with and also traded Tunsil, Minkah, etc yet came within a last second FG of sweeping Adam Gase.

Flores is a HC that I think did a really good job this year.  Meanwhile, Gase lined up the excuses.

And Miami has won 3 games. And lost a home game to the Redskins.  One coach lost player to trades. The other to injuries. So, I don't see your point?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Because there are only 32 of these jobs in the country and many college HC's know that they're 1 bad year away from that window potentially closing forever.  Plus if the guy gets a reasonably long contract (4 years?) at big $$$, what does he care?  He'll just get fired and some college program will take him. 

Fans overrate their own importance.  I mean, how do the Eagles even hire a HC with their fanbase?  How about the NY Yankees during Steinbrenner?  How did they ever get anybody?  How did the Jets wind up with Bill Parcells after "Joe Must Go" and the Kotite era?

1. The "there are only 32 of these jobs" is appealing if you're a Mike Pettine or Rex Ryan, who are mid-level coaches that don't have a path to a head coaching gig. Guys who can pick their jobs don't feel pressure to take the sh*ttiest of those 32 jobs. There are only 32 GM jobs in the league and plenty of prospective GMs had no problem turning down the chance to interview with the Jets because it's dead-end, and that's how they ended up with Maccagnan and Idzik.

2. These coaches also don't need the Jets money. Saban makes $11 million plus at Alabama. Harbaugh makes $5 mil plus at UM. Ryan Day makes $4.5 at OSU, and he's a nobody assistant. They'd literallty have to take a pay cut to coach for the Jets. So, yeah, any of them will take a pay cut to leave their cush college gig, take the Jets job, get fired after two years, then scramble to get a college gig again with a black mark on their resumes, having had Jason from Poughquag run a GoFundMe to portray them as a clown on billboards along the GSP. Sign me up.   

3. Parcells came to the Jets to piss off Kraft. Period. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

And Miami has won 3 games. And lost a home game to the Redskins.  One coach lost player to trades. The other to injuries. So, I don't see your point?

One team had an 0-16 worthy roster yet has won 3 games so far and has been surprisingly competitive.  The other team lost to an 0-7 team and an 0-11 team and almost got swept by that 0-16 worthy roster team.  When I look at the Dolphins, I see a team that "punches above their weight" and has greatly improved as the year has gone on.  When I watch the Jets play, I don't know what to expect week-to-week, other than Gase making excuses.

If the goal is to win a Superbowl, we're going to need a HC who can beat Bill Belichick and who can overcome adversity (as adversity is the norm in the NFL).  Brian Flores has taken a crappy roster (that was further weakened with trades) and made it surprisingly competitive.  In other words, he's shown he can overcome adversity.  What has Adam Gase done so far that shows us he can get this team to win when the chips are down?  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

44 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1. The "there are only 32 of these jobs" is appealing if you're a Mike Pettine or Rex Ryan, who are mid-level coaches that don't have a path to a head coaching gig. Guys who can pick their jobs don't feel pressure to take the sh*ttiest of those 32 jobs. There are only 32 GM jobs in the league and plenty of prospective GMs had no problem turning down the chance to interview with the Jets because it's dead-end, and that's how they ended up with Maccagnan and Idzik.

2. These coaches also don't need the Jets money. Saban makes $11 million plus at Alabama. Harbaugh makes $5 mil plus at UM. Ryan Day makes $4.5 at OSU, and he's a nobody assistant. They'd literallty have to take a pay cut to coach for the Jets. So, yeah, any of them will take a pay cut to leave their cush college gig, take the Jets job, get fired after two years, then scramble to get a college gig again with a black mark on their resumes, having had Jason from Poughquag run a GoFundMe to portray them as a clown on billboards along the GSP. Sign me up.   

1) I agree that it would be very tough to get an elite HC prospect (like Urban Meyer) here because he can cherry pick the best gig and dictate his own terms.  But that's going to be true regardless of a plane or a billboard or fans in general.  I don't think a top HC prospect is worried about the fans.  They have confidence in themselves that they're going to turn a team around, so long as they're given the control they feel they need. 

I think it's FAR more likely that HCs don't want to work for the Johnson family.  While I wanted no part of Mike McCarthy, "discussions ultimately fell apart" because he didn't want the Johnson family to pick his staff.  In other words, we have meddling owners.  THAT is the real source of our problems.

image.png.9a9301c501d550737be7ff150b683934.png

Even if you think we can't get an elite HC, I'm confident we could've done way better than Adam Gase.  I bet we could've gotten Gruden and I wouldn't be surprised if we could get Jim Harbaugh if he leaves Michigan.  Matt Ruhle probably would've come here too had the Johnsons not wanted to pick his staff for him.

Keep in mind that there are some appealing things about the Jet job (though they were more pronounced last offseason):

-Young FQB in place

-I think like ~$70-$80M in cap space next year

-NY is the biggest media market in the country

-Chance to be forever be "the guy" for a NY team if you can win with this perennial losing franchise.  I'm sure that's a bigger deal than succeeding in Detroit.

2) How did things work out for Pete Carroll, who was fired after 1 year?

3) I don't know about that.  Parcells liked NY and Leon Hess and he loved reclamation projects.

26 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

One team had an 0-16 worthy roster yet has won 3 games so far and has been surprisingly competitive.  The other team lost to an 0-7 team and an 0-11 team and almost got swept by that 0-16 worthy roster team.  When I look at the Dolphins, I see a team that "punches above their weight" and has greatly improved as the year has gone on.  When I watch the Jets play, I don't know what to expect week-to-week, other than Gase making excuses.

If the goal is to win a Superbowl, we're going to need a HC who can beat Bill Belichick and who can overcome adversity (as adversity is the norm in the NFL).  Brian Flores has taken a crappy roster (that was further weakened with trades) and made it surprisingly competitive.  In other words, he's shown he can overcome adversity.  What has Adam Gase done so far that shows us he can get this team to win when the chips are down?  

Lets get Flores HOF bust ordered. LOL. You’ve got a great eye for HC talent when after 14 games you can evaluate a HC based on what you see on TV. 

The only real way to evaluate a HC is based on the culture and organization they “build” after 3 or more years. By your measure, Herm Edwards was a great coach.

7 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Lets get Flores HOF bust ordered. LOL. You’ve got a great eye for HC talent when after 14 games you can evaluate a HC based on what you see on TV. 

The only real way to evaluate a HC is based on the culture and organization they “build” after 3 or more years. By your measure, Herm Edwards was a great coach.

I'm not putting any HC in the HOF after 1 year.  I'm just saying that Brian Flores has at least shown signs that he can be "the guy".  Gase has shown nothing of the sort.  It wasn't me who said he's a "professional excuse maker".

You want to wait 2 more years after this one to see if Gase shows us anything?  

image.thumb.png.5c62f9275538b267e93ae05ad67d368d.png

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-adam-gase-sunday-advance-giants-20191109-zdybr2gwt5gfldfi4ox3vwztnq-story.html

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

There is a big difference between "well Liked" and "respected" you can certainly be one without the other and the bottom line is today's NFL is full of players that act like children and they simply get away with it. That's why this league is going to wind up in the sh*tter sooner rather than later.

Does anyone on the planet other than Tom Brady love Bill Belichick ? NO but they certainly respect him

Plenty of players didn't like Bill Parcells but the man demanded respect and he earned it by winning every where he went. Today no one earns anything and in all honesty there are about a handful of good HC's in this league and the number is getting lower each decade. 

You do everything it takes to get Jim Harbaugh in here and I guarantee this team has a winning record next year 

Bro he is a great coach. That is what we need. I hate that we always get rookie coaches then the one time we get a coach with some experience they bring in a crappy one. 

Jim instantly gives us credibility and direction. 

Don't know how we get him from from college

25 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm not putting any HC in the HOF after 1 year.  I'm just saying that Brian Flores has at least shown signs that he can be "the guy".  Gase has shown nothing of the sort.  It wasn't me who said he's a "professional excuse maker".

You want to wait 2 more years after this one to see if Gase shows us anything?  

image.thumb.png.5c62f9275538b267e93ae05ad67d368d.png

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-adam-gase-sunday-advance-giants-20191109-zdybr2gwt5gfldfi4ox3vwztnq-story.html

I didn't want Gase, but I can't say I have any idea whether he or Flores will end up being a really good or really bad NFL coach. Bellichik assistants normally start out pretty good and then fade ... McDaniel and Mangini come to mind. I think that is because they initially mimic what they learned from BB but then have nothing to add to it.

I also think that if Gase was not good at dealing with his players there would be many more vocal detractors who used to play for him. It seems the contrary is true. Guys who played for him have a lot of love for him. regardless, I wish he would hand the play calling over to someone else and pay attention to the game rather than have his head in the play sheet, but he is putting his installing his O this season and a more hands on approach may be needed. Hopefully, next season he will be more engaged with the whole game. I'm not trying to make excuses for Gase, I'm just being hopeful that he will improve because the Jets did not consult with me when they hire him and will not likely give me a ring to ask about firing him.  If they did, I'd say fire him. But, until that time comes, I'll root for Gase to improve and succeed.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Wasnt Matt Rhule all but set to take the job but walked away because he wasnt allowed to pick his coaching staff?  

Jets were concerned that Ruhle would have come in with an unproven college OC to develop Darnold and tried to sell him on hiring a NFL experienced OC.  Ruhle took a snit fit and the interview process died.  How many fans would have or should have been happy with Ruhle if he brought in nothing but a college staff?

No one knows that Ruhle was all set to take the job or if how far they got into the process.  After all it was also said at one point that McCarthy was the frontrunner who impressed the Jets.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

When I look at the Dolphins, I see a team that "punches above their weight" and has greatly improved as the year has gone on.  When I watch the Jets play, I don't know what to expect week-to-week, other than Gase making excuses.

And you see a dolphin team that is all that much worse than what we put out on the field?  

And please, when has Gase made excuses?  What nonsense.  Do you listen to all of Flores pressers like Gases?  Do you editorialize them like Gases?  

Excuses for Gase?  While you keep posting how great Flores is because of excuses for Flores?  LOL

8 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

or the excuse will be, Sams just a baby and we dont have a HOF OL and HOF WRs....

or We have the 3rd HC in 3 years!\! Nobody can expect for us to compete for playoffs cos we have no stability.

Some just cant get that facts aren't excuses.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think you underestimate the lure of putting your name in the stone with a SB victory. If a Saban or Harbaugh viewed Darnold as a real deal franchise QB and were given control over personnel decisions, they would certainly give in to their own ego driven desires and coach a team like the Jets. Sadly, no one really knows yet whether Sam is a real deal franchise QB. 

33 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I also think that if Gase was not good at dealing with his players there would be many more vocal detractors who used to play for him. It seems the contrary is true. Guys who played for him have a lot of love for him.

Landry complained.  After the fins refused to pay him what he wanted, to be the highest paid WR in the NFL.  Shocking.  Maybe Odell can back him on that

Ajayi complained, after he was traded away while teammates all said he wasn't ever on board

Drake complained.  That he should have and wanted more touches.

Big deal, hardly says lost the locker room.  65 or so players come and go in a season and a handful complained, all with personal issues over the org.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Losing this locker room (whatever that even means) is a good thing. Oh no Quincy Enunwa is sad he got fined? Too bad. The roster blows.

As long as Sam has not lost faith in him then everyone should just relax. SD is literally the most important person in NY. 

7 minutes ago, Ghost said:

As long as Sam has not lost faith in him

Am not a fan of Gase. Nor am I someone who thinks he's terrible. For me...  pretty meh...  BUT!!!!\

I feel almost 100% certain he really believes in  Sam Darnold's potential to be top notch...  as in consistent top 10 qb with forays into top5. 

And since we are fying with Sam at least another 2-3 years...  having a guy who believes in him and has been around a HOF Qb at his peak...     that might not be a bad pairing.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

And you see a dolphin team that is all that much worse than what we put out on the field?  

And please, when has Gase made excuses?  What nonsense.  Do you listen to all of Flores pressers like Gases?  Do you editorialize them like Gases?  

Excuses for Gase?  While you keep posting how great Flores is because of excuses for Flores?  LOL

I've heard Gase refer to injuries when asked about the team (and our record) in interviews.

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I didn't want Gase, but I can't say I have any idea whether he or Flores will end up being a really good or really bad NFL coach. Bellichik assistants normally start out pretty good and then fade ... McDaniel and Mangini come to mind. I think that is because they initially mimic what they learned from BB but then have nothing to add to it.

I also think that if Gase was not good at dealing with his players there would be many more vocal detractors who used to play for him. It seems the contrary is true. Guys who played for him have a lot of love for him. regardless, I wish he would hand the play calling over to someone else and pay attention to the game rather than have his head in the play sheet, but he is putting his installing his O this season and a more hands on approach may be needed. Hopefully, next season he will be more engaged with the whole game. I'm not trying to make excuses for Gase, I'm just being hopeful that he will improve because the Jets did not consult with me when they hire him and will not likely give me a ring to ask about firing him.  If they did, I'd say fire him. But, until that time comes, I'll root for Gase to improve and succeed.  

Gase has far less support than people on here realize.  Even those people who "support" him either didn't want him in the first place or don't really like him but just don't think he should be fired after 1 year.

SAR said he's not a fan. T0m basically has said that he doesn't want to set a bad precedent because it'll hinder us in hiring the next HC of the NYJ.  

7 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I've heard Gase refer to injuries when asked about the team (and our record) in interviews.

I've never heard him say anything about injuries other than to discuss then or answer reporters questions about injuries.

I've never heard him once use injuries as an excuse.  

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I've never heard him say anything about injuries other than to discuss then or answer reporters questions about injuries.

I've never heard him once use injuries as an excuse.  

One quick example:

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-adam-gase-jets-fans-losing-20191205-qltl6n3m7zegtib7nnvu3wcycy-story.html

image.png.6e82f691cc94e41e85543ea4f31417c4.png

Landry complained.  After the fins refused to pay him what he wanted, to be the highest paid WR in the NFL.  Shocking.  Maybe Odell can back him on that

Ajayi complained, after he was traded away while teammates all said he wasn't ever on board

Big deal, hardly says lost the locker room.  65 or so players come and go in a season and a handful complained, all with personal issues over the org.

You should dig deeper.https://www.thephinsider.com/2018/12/31/18162804/former-miami-dolphins-players-taking-shots-at-adam-gase-firing-head-coach-nfl-fired-twitter

https://www.thephinsider.com/2018/12/31/18162804/former-miami-dolphins-players-taking-shots-at-adam-gase-firing-head-coach-nfl-fired-twitter

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Jets were concerned that Ruhle would have come in with an unproven college OC to develop Darnold and tried to sell him on hiring a NFL experienced OC.  Ruhle took a snit fit and the interview process died.  How many fans would have or should have been happy with Ruhle if he brought in nothing but a college staff?

No one knows that Ruhle was all set to take the job or if how far they got into the process.  After all it was also said at one point that McCarthy was the frontrunner who impressed the Jets.

Yeah they then they come bring in Gase and that hack of an OC we have now. Terrible. I can't understand how they came.up with that plan. 

3 hours ago, genot said:

You should dig deeper.https://www.thephinsider.com/2018/12/31/18162804/former-miami-dolphins-players-taking-shots-at-adam-gase-firing-head-coach-nfl-fired-twitter

I don’t give a shlt about players who whine after a HC is fired.  Has nothing to do with losing the locker room during a season. It’s still a handful of players.  Five or six instead of three or so?  Rex was a players coach loved by all until he was fired

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He said the season didn’t work out as planned.  That losing the QB Kind of set them back.  That’s not excuse making for the season.  

"We lose our QB for 3 games"

"Just couldn't keep a core group of guys healthy long enough to really gain that chemistry"

These are excuses.  Parcells would never say crap like this (even if he thought it).  When a HC publicly expresses stuff like this, the players will hear it and take the cue that winning is not expected because they have a valid excuse.

Mike Tomlin lost Ben for basically the whole season.  Has he used it as an excuse?  He's winning with a 3rd stringer.  Parcells won with Ray Lucas.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Gase has far less support than people on here realize.  Even those people who "support" him either didn't want him in the first place or don't really like him but just don't think he should be fired after 1 year.

SAR said he's not a fan. T0m basically has said that he doesn't want to set a bad precedent because it'll hinder us in hiring the next HC of the NYJ.  

Like It or not he’s the coach. I prefer to be hopeful when i have no power to change it.