Jump to content

As an absolute surprise to no one, Gase has lost the locker room


Ohhthepain
 Share

Recommended Posts

I don't need to read anything.  I simply need to watch the team.  Gase has been terrible.  Period.

Getting wins against the crap teams we've beaten and thinking it adds up to anything is laughable.

Gase is not good, nor is he long term for this role.  Cut bait.  Move on.

For those of you advocating for not firing him you're basically agreeing with CJ and Woody.  Good luck with that.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As much as it gets away from “offense oriented” or “direct influence and development of Darnold”, I would make Gregg Williams my head coach in a year or 2 and ensure he doesn’t go anywhere. He’s the guy players respect, feel comfortable talking to, ect, and he’s clearly shown he can adapt and get the best out of any player. Let Gregg get an OC and see what happens when this 2 year Gase experiment fails.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Which may be true, but teams who have quit probably aren’t going 4-2 after starting 1-7 regardless of strength of schedule 

"We hate Coach Gase so we're going to win 4 of our last 6 games.  Yeah, that'll show him!"

--No Player, Ever

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

As another poster mused, sounds like the prez to me.

The Prez’s soundbyte would involve more delusional self-praise. It’d read more like this: “We got a lot of dawgs on the defense that’s playing their hearts out, but the offense ain’t sh*t. If they scored a few more touchdowns, we’d be 14-2 cuz the D has been locking people up all year.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What coach is taking the 2020 Jets to the Super Bowl?

again, you're not that dumb and neither am I.... No one is *likely* taking the team in 2020 to the promised land... 

that's not what it's about. It's about the potential to do so, whether it's in 2020, 2021, or 2022 even.. delaying the inevitable only continues to create the path of most resistance. Assess the coach - does he have the leadership and gumption to get it done *eventually*... Gase? No. 

So move on. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

"We hate Coach Gase so we're going to win 4 of our last 6 games.  Yeah, that'll show him!"

--No Player, Ever

that's stupid, and as a successful human being - you look the dumber for posting this trash.

Players have jobs to play for too. So do coordinators and position coaches. This isn't fcking mario kart. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, SAR I said:

"We hate Coach Gase so we're going to win 4 of our last 6 games.  Yeah, that'll show him!"

--No Player, Ever

He can’t consistently make good Half-time adjustments, he doesn't adapt to the way the defense is playing his offense, he doesn’t take much advantage of what a defense isn’t doing well, he’s some offensive guru but can’t find creative enough ways to get Le’Veon’s hands on the ball more, he acknowledges he needs to get Bell out in space but simply doesn’t do it good enough...because he can’t do it good enough. OL is awful and I’m more than willing to say that hinders the success of the running game but there are other ways to get Bell in big play space. It feels like Darnold has only improved based off himself and having experience under his belt — not because of Gase’s play calling. He hasn’t put him in great situations, again, the roster talent has something to do with it but the play calling...the play calling isn’t there. I’ve seen less talented players get open consistently. Somebody is always getting left out of the game plan. It’s Robby one day and Bell another. 

These results aren't good enough for me and idk how they are for anyone else.

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, KRL said:

I'm still not sold on Gase and I'm not a defender.  But if he's lost
the team why didn't they totally tank after losing to MIA when they
fell to 1-7???  Why are they 4-2 in the second half of the season???
Just asking.  Also who is the "player" making these comments???
Someone who was cut, put on IR or who was fined???  Again just asking

Because players make their living on their film and effort. Mail it in and your next contract won’t look so hot, or will be non existent. Players playing hard for coaching, especially in the NFL has always been a bit overrated. Sure, some coaches have been master motivators. But nothing motivates like self-interest and fear.

Time in the NFL is short. Players know this and need to keep their value as high as possible. There’s always hungry players coming in looking to take a roster spot.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

he doesn't adapt to the way the defense is playing his offense, he doesn’t take much advantage of what a defense isn’t doing well,

This is overstated. He’s got Vyncint Smith and Daniel Brown playing significant roles on offense. What adjustments are you supposed to make to deal with putting street free agents on the field? It’s not like he’s got a veteran team that can change things up on the fly. It’d be a huge accomplishment if all eleven guys on any given play know ten different plays at this point.

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm a big fan of framing things arbitrarily. Let me try: They're 1-2 in their last 3, and one of those losses was to the worst team in the league.

So did they quit last week, or like in the third quarter of last week? Or when? We’re trying to deduce at what point in the season the players all went belly up because Adam is mean 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

What coach is taking the 2020 Jets to the Super Bowl?

☝️ It's hard to evaluate Gase with this roster.  He quite possibly has OVERACHIEVED and we don't even realize it.  Go to that other thread with the 2002 Colts playoff game on it.  Look at the talent level of that team with two HOF players and several Pro Bowlers and compare it to now...

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Paradis said:

again, you're not that dumb and neither am I.... No one is *likely* taking the team in 2020 to the promised land... 

that's not what it's about. It's about the potential to do so, whether it's in 2020, 2021, or 2022 even.. delaying the inevitable only continues to create the path of most resistance. Assess the coach - does he have the leadership and gumption to get it done *eventually*... Gase? No. 

So move on. 

This isn’t defending Gase per se, but I think you’d have to consider who the guy is who’s going to have more gumption and would actually take the job at this point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, KRL said:

I'm still not sold on Gase and I'm not a defender.  But if he's lost
the team why didn't they totally tank after losing to MIA when they
fell to 1-7???  Why are they 4-2 in the second half of the season???
Just asking.  Also who is the "player" making these comments???
Someone who was cut, put on IR or who was fined???  Again just asking

Osemele had to get those comments out.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So did they quit last week, or like in the third quarter of last week? Or when? We’re trying to deduce at what point in the season the players all went belly up because Adam is mean 

I think this franchise quit about 10 years ago. In the meantime they're 5-9 on the year and Darnold's numbers are abysmal. The aggregate, as always, is all that matters, and everything in the aggregate is bad except the run defense which is just awesome for our purposes considering it's two thousand and ******* twenty. Stop trying to frame this season as good and let all of us enjoy this holiday season in misery as is custom by now.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think this franchise quit about 10 years ago. In the meantime they're 5-9 on the year and Darnold's numbers are abysmal. The aggregate, as always, is all that matters, and everything in the aggregate is bad except the run defense which is just awesome for our purposes considering it's two thousand and ******* twenty. Stop trying to frame this season as good and let all of us enjoy this holiday season in misery as is custom by now.

The season is bad but it was always gonna be bad. Drink Arby’s 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Because players make their living on their film and effort. Mail it in and your next contract won’t look so hot, or will be non existent. Players playing hard for coaching, especially in the NFL has always been a bit overrated. Sure, some coaches have been master motivators. But nothing motivates like self-interest and fear.

Time in the NFL is short. Players know this and need to keep their value as high as possible. There’s always hungry players coming in looking to take a roster spot.

 

So he didn’t lose the team. Players mail it in all the time, every year. Look at CLE. The team has not mailed it in, they’ve been playing hard to the scheme since day one, they just suck. That’s not Gase’s fault, he didn’t have any part of building this team yet. Many fans just didn’t like him from day 1, because he was a Dolphin, because he’s rough around the edges, because he has googly eyes. And they’ve been pounding the table since. This team sucks, even healthy they sucked. We were never going to contend, never no matter who coached.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

As much as it gets away from “offense oriented” or “direct influence and development of Darnold”, I would make Gregg Williams my head coach in a year or 2 and ensure he doesn’t go anywhere. He’s the guy players respect, feel comfortable talking to, ect, and he’s clearly shown he can adapt and get the best out of any player. Let Gregg get an OC and see what happens when this 2 year Gase experiment fails.

I'll take this thought one step further. I suggested this to a friend (and fellow Jets fan) a few weeks ago:

Make Williams the head coach and make Gase the OC.

Gase seems to be socially awkward with the media and seems uncomfortable as face of a franchise. He seems to be more of a "bookworm"/"mad scientist" type who just wants to design Xs and Os for his offense. Ok....let him do that. It keeps continuity for Sam. I actually believe Gase may not mind this change (just based on behavior and personality) being moved out of the spotlight.

Let Williams be the "bad cop" in the locker room....kicking a@@ when needed. He's good with the media and this will save him from leaving for a HC job. Now...if he believes that Gase is hurting Sam's development or there's other issues we're unaware of, then let him pick his own OC.

It would be so Jets-esque that I'm sure the media might kill it, but if the 2 main parties (Gase & Williams) think it will work, I think it just might.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...