As an absolute surprise to no one, Gase has lost the locker room

Ohhthepain

17 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I think there are a lot of people here who never liked the Gase hire from day one (I didn’t like it either) but so many of them are just over the top in their opinion of him now.

People started calling for him to be fired 3 weeks into the season... it’s just dumb. The main problem here is the players. We don’t have enough good ones for any coach to succeed.

The next biggest problem is Gase, but it’s not his coaching, it’s his appearance and the way he interacts with the press and how that comes off with the fans. If Gase had the looks of say a Carroll or Del Rio, or the personality of a Herm or Rex, a lot of people would feel better about and be more patient with him.

He doesn’t though, so the same people who post constantly listing excuse after excuse for his QB, are quick to ignore those same excuses when it comes to his HC.

It's easy to sell a "fire at all costs" mentality to our fans and to others as well.  Some players in Miami hated Gase.  So there you go.  That's half the job done.  Just ask those players for quotes.  But the overall mentality of the general media core is to dig as deep into this team as possible.  To keep it as toxic an environment as possible... and it's an absolute sh*tty thing to do.  It's one thing to criticize an organization for it's shortcomings but to crap on it un-endingly because there's another NFL team in the building you prefer and want to see on top... that's lame.  The defacto press policy of the Giants' fans is to sh*t on Getteman and occasionally bolster up Jones to give the fans some hope the next administration might get it right.  The defacto policy towards Jets' fans is to always sell negativity in any form.  I hate that attitude.  We deserve better.  We deserve clarity and the ability to lick our wounds.  But that doesn't generate clicks and a fan base that eats itself alive.  Which is the ultimate goal.  It's the status quo. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think we should all take a moment to appreciate that The Spirit Squad is spinning tales of aardvark attacks and Mississippi high school coaches in order to sell fans of the New York Jets on Adam Gase.  

It’d be feral hogs in Mississippi. Open a book maybe 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The team fired the worst general manager in the history of the sport in May. You want to fire the new coach for not coaching up the abysmally bad team that historically bad GM left behind to hire a different coach you cannot name who will get four years to prove he can coach a football team. Because you *know* Adam Gase can’t coach. But you *know* the new head coach probably could have done a better job with Chuma Edoga and Luke Falk

You're very good at this. That was a subtle strawman you setup there.

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The Prez’s soundbyte would involve more delusional self-praise. It’d read more like this: “We got a lot of dawgs on the defense that’s playing their hearts out, but the offense ain’t sh*t. If they scored a few more touchdowns, we’d be 14-2 cuz the D has been locking people up all year.”

I guess Adams wasn’t watching the 2nd half vs. the Ravens as they decimated their outstanding defense. He was probably pitching pennies in the locker room. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I don't think Gase is well liked.  He doesn't have to be.  Especially coming off a string of "players coaches".

The one thing I hear a lot about Gase that bothers me much more than anything is that he basically doesn't do anything with the defense.  

I absolutely am not an advocate of how he approaches being a head coach(he's not the only one either).  He's a glorified coordinator that has a yes man in Loggains by his side.  If I had my way, he'd can Loggains, hire someone that he can calloborate with on offense and over see the entire team.  I'm not saying that is absolutely the right way to do things, but if I were running the Jets, that's what I'd be looking for a HC to do.

The thing that bothers me is that he doesn't do anything with the offense

16 hours ago, slats said:

One player told a guy at the Bleacher Report...

This, I agree with. 

Before this year the Jets had gone a couple years without an opening drive TD, this season they did that three games in a row. So there’s some good coming from Gase’s offense, but adding a legit offensive coordinator -especially to help with in game adjustments- would be beneficial. I’m fine with Gase focusing on offense, but he does need more freedom to oversee the whole team. 

There is a big difference between "well Liked" and "respected" you can certainly be one without the other and the bottom line is today's NFL is full of players that act like children and they simply get away with it. That's why this league is going to wind up in the sh*tter sooner rather than later.

Does anyone on the planet other than Tom Brady love Bill Belichick ? NO but they certainly respect him

Plenty of players didn't like Bill Parcells but the man demanded respect and he earned it by winning every where he went. Today no one earns anything and in all honesty there are about a handful of good HC's in this league and the number is getting lower each decade. 

You do everything it takes to get Jim Harbaugh in here and I guarantee this team has a winning record next year 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, CTM said:

No question the schedule got very favorable. However it's hard to say the team quit on him when they've been playing hard and winning games.

I'm not a Gase fan really, I didn't like the hire and don't like his resume. I do think we owe him a huge debt of gratitude for excising Mac so that alone almost buys him year 2 from me.  But I also believe the team has performed within the realm of reasonable expectations for it, given the lack of talent and injuries.

I think the reaction to him has been way over the top and I really don't get it. The billboard cretins have re-emerged 10 games into his career after years of silence on Mac who was unquestionably worse at his job than Gase is at his. I don't get it.

Mac was a bad GM, Gase is a bad HC.  Our ownership is the common denominator.  Johnsons need to sell.

• Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

There is a big difference between "well Liked" and "respected" you can certainly be one without the other and the bottom line is today's NFL is full of players that act like children and they simply get away with it. That's why this league is going to wind up in the sh*tter sooner rather than later.

Does anyone on the planet other than Tom Brady love Bill Belichick ? NO but they certainly respect him

Plenty of players didn't like Bill Parcells but the man demanded respect and he earned it by winning every where he went. Today no one earns anything and in all honesty there are about a handful of good HC's in this league and the number is getting lower each decade. 

You do everything it takes to get Jim Harbaugh in here and I guarantee this team has a winning record next year 

I believe we scored on the 1st drive 4 or 5 games in a row. Certainly a Jet record. Under Bowles did we EVER score on a 1st drive?

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

And if he hasn’t, it’s time for an extension. 

SAR I

I’ll pass on the extension part. He has years left on his contract to prove he is capable of running an NFL franchise. 

The lack of talent and offensive line should be a reason why Gase is brought back. 

Remember how most of us laughed and joked when Mangini went to Cleveland and Herm went to KC? Well that's how everyone in the NFL feels about Gase. Especially in Miami where it's a running joke. A complete and utter joke! Only reason Gase will coach another year or 2 is because our owners are complete morons. Always have been and always will be. Gase was our 4th choice. The others just wouldn't let ownership stick them with coaches. We all know Gase won't coach out his contract. So all we are doing is wasting Sams rookie contract and slowly ruining the kid. Disgrace!! And now Sam will eventually have to learn a 3rd Offense in his short years in the league. And knowing the Jets they will F up that hire as well. Round and round we go. 50 friggin years of this!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

It's easy to sell a "fire at all costs" mentality to our fans and to others as well.  Some players in Miami hated Gase.  So there you go.  That's half the job done.  Just ask those players for quotes.  But the overall mentality of the general media core is too dig as deep into this team as possible.  To keep it as toxic an environment as possible... and it's an absolute sh*tty thing to do.  It's one thing to criticize an organization for it's shortcomings but to crap on it un-endingly because there's another NFL team in the building you prefer and want to see on top... that's lame.  The defacto press policy of the Giants' fans is to sh*t on Getteman and occasionally bolster up Jones to give the fans some hope the next administration might get it right.  The defacto policy towards Jets' fans is to always sell negativity in any form.  I hate that attitude.  We deserve better.  We deserve clarity and the ability to lick our wounds.  But that doesn't generate clicks and a fan base that eats itself alive.  Which is the ultimate goal.  It's the status quo. 

Very well said PDX.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

It's easy to sell a "fire at all costs" mentality to our fans and to others as well.  Some players in Miami hated Gase.  So there you go.  That's half the job done.  Just ask those players for quotes.  But the overall mentality of the general media core is to dig as deep into this team as possible.  To keep it as toxic an environment as possible... and it's an absolute sh*tty thing to do.  It's one thing to criticize an organization for it's shortcomings but to crap on it un-endingly because there's another NFL team in the building you prefer and want to see on top... that's lame.  The defacto press policy of the Giants' fans is to sh*t on Getteman and occasionally bolster up Jones to give the fans some hope the next administration might get it right.  The defacto policy towards Jets' fans is to always sell negativity in any form.  I hate that attitude.  We deserve better.  We deserve clarity and the ability to lick our wounds.  But that doesn't generate clicks and a fan base that eats itself alive.  Which is the ultimate goal.  It's the status quo. 

While this story did not come from any of them, Jets beat writers, starting with Mehta, Costello, and Ciimini are like a bunch of message board trolls! They all seem to hate their job and throw out the most rancid raw meat they can come up with and see how many of us Jet fans they can get to lunge at it, and the majority of fans react the way they hoped.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

The problem is Gase has never done anything to earn any respect. if he has, please tell me. Even BB doesn't post fines on some bulletin board, like they're some criminal who violated they're probation.

15 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

T0m pointed out that our preseason O/U was 6.5.  There's a good chance we go 5-11.

I wonder what was the O/U was for a season where the Jets: lose Darnold to mono for 3 games; the backup QB has a season ending injury in his first start; Mosley is lost for the season after the first half of game 1; and the D is starting 5th and 6th stringers at ILB and CB? 

18 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Tell me again why you’d risk a lifetime of ladder-climbing to come work for this franchise unless it was your only option.

Fun fact; the only head Coaches to not receive another head coaching job after leaving the New York Jets since 1990 are Todd Bowles and Rich Kotite.  Even bums like Eric Mangini and Bruce Coslet got a 2nd chance.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Fun fact; the only head Coaches to not receive another head coaching job after leaving the New York Jets since 1990 are Todd Bowles and Rich Kotite.  Even bums like Eric Mangini and Bruce Coslet got a 2nd chance.  

I’m sure that will be of great comfort to Matt Rhule and Urban Meyer

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m sure that will be of great comfort to Matt Rhule and Urban Meyer

Wasnt Matt Rhule all but set to take the job but walked away because he wasnt allowed to pick his coaching staff?  Why did Gase sign? 

Your take on this is bogus.  I agree getting rid of Gase is stupid but not because of how it makes the job appear.  Nobody cares about that and you know it.  No HC worth his salt is afraid of a job because it presents challenges.  If you're taking over a job, it's because the last guy failed and the situation isnt good. Unless you're in a rare Garrett situation where your team is loaded and you cant work your way out of a wet paper bag but that happens what, 1 of out of 50 times a coach is fired?

These guys have monster ego's, they think can fix anything and the allure of Darnold is real for any candidate.  

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I wonder what was the O/U was for a season where the Jets: lose Darnold to mono for 3 games; the backup QB has a season ending injury in his first start; Mosley is lost for the season after the first half of game 1; and the D is starting 5th and 6th stringers at ILB and CB? 

How about the job Brian Flores did this year with a Dolphins team that was crappy to begin with and also traded Tunsil, Minkah, etc yet came within a last second FG of sweeping Adam Gase.

Flores is a HC that I think did a really good job this year.  Meanwhile, Gase lined up the excuses.

• WTF? 1

30 minutes ago, JiF said:

Wasnt Matt Rhule all but set to take the job but walked away because he wasnt allowed to pick his coaching staff?  Why did Gase sign? 

Your take on this is bogus.  I agree getting rid of Gase is stupid but not because of how it makes the job appear.  Nobody cares about that and you know it.  No HC worth his salt is afraid of a job because it presents challenges.  If you're taking over a job, it's because the last guy failed and the situation isnt good. Unless you're in a rare Garrett situation where your team is loaded and you cant work your way out of a wet paper bag but that happens what, 1 of out of 50 times a coach is fired?

These guys have monster ego's, they think can fix anything and the allure of Darnold is real for any candidate.  

The job was more appealing coming off of giving Todd Bowles four years to build something and Rex six years to drive the franchise into the dirt likewise do his thing. My position is that these guys don't want to take a job where they can be nuked after one year because some nitwit fans rented a plane to fly over the west side on a Friday afternoon, rattling the otherwise obtuse owner. These coaches have egos, but they're not unaware of what Gase was facing when he took the job, and none of them would have taken it if there was a mandate, in year one, to win more than six or seven games, and the same holds true for next year. How does Chris Johnson look Matt Rhule in the eye and convince him that he, too, won't be drummed out in twelve months if his QB goes down and he can't get the Jets to .500? 

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The job was more appealing coming off of giving Todd Bowles four years to build something and Rex six years to drive the franchise into the dirt likewise do his thing. My position is that these guys don't want to take a job where they can be nuked after one year because some nitwit fans rented a plane to fly over the west side on a Friday afternoon, rattling the otherwise obtuse owner. These coaches have egos, but they're not unaware of what Gase was facing when he took the job, and none of them would have taken it if there was a mandate, in year one, to win more than six or seven games, and the same holds true for next year. How does Chris Johnson look Matt Rhule in the eye and convince him that he, too, won't be drummed out in twelve months if his QB goes down and he can't get the Jets to .500? 

Because there are only 32 of these jobs in the country and many college HC's know that they're 1 bad year away from that window potentially closing forever.  Plus if the guy gets a reasonably long contract (4 years?) at big $$$, what does he care?  He'll just get fired and some college program will take him. 

Fans overrate their own importance.  I mean, how do the Eagles even hire a HC with their fanbase?  How about the NY Yankees during Steinbrenner?  How did they ever get anybody?  How did the Jets wind up with Bill Parcells after "Joe Must Go" and the Kotite era?