Bart Scott's "Sam Darnold Wishlist" Offseason

Stark

Working on a project at work and going down a youtube rabbit hole, came across this audio and well.......

Here is Bart's wishlist for Sam/JETS offseseason.

Coaching:

• Gase give up playcalling, be Coach/leader of team
  • Hire Bill Callahan as Assistant HC/Offensive Line Coach/Offensive Coordinator/Run Game Coordinator

Player Additions and Position moves:

• Sign Trent Williams as LT
  • Chuma Edoga moves to LG
  • Re-sign Beachum and move to RT
  • Draft Andrew Thomas, start him at RG (until Williams is gone or RT depending on if Beachum leaves first) to ease Thomas in
  • Commit to LeVeon Bell (see Callahan/Gase above)
  • Bring Odell Beckham Jr. for Sam

so what are the thoughts.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

I would just stick Andrew Thomas at Tackle from the jump. He doesn’t need to be eased into anything. Trent wants a big deal..not happening at 32 with injuries. Would only sign him if it was reasonable... Would only resign Beachum for depth and he’s a good locker room guy I guess...wouldn’t touch OBJ...not as bad as AB yet but it’s too much and he’s not consistent enough. OBJ will have an 11 catch, 107 yard game and then a 4 catch, 55 yard game for the next two weeks. I understand wanting talented offensive ball players but there’s circumstances and underlying issues with a guy like OBJ that needs to be taken into account.

edit: and I’d definitely commit to Le’Veon. Grab a young guy next year to develop. As far as Chuma, I don’t think it matters where he lines up, he just seems unaware, slow and lazy most of the time. He lets pass rushers go where they please. Like it’s almost a chore to him to be blocking.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Stark said:

Working on a project at work and going down a youtube rabbit hole, came across this audio and well.......

Coaching:

• Hire Bill Callahan as Assistant HC/Offensive Line Coach/Offensive Coordinator/Run Game Coordinator

• Draft Andrew Thomas, start him at RG (until Williams is gone or RT depending on if Beachum leaves first) to ease Thomas in

i like bart.  he usually has some pretty insights.  OBJ?  i don't know about that.  he's worn out his welcome on two teams now.  as for the rest of the moves, they seem awful simple.  i agree on gase getting someone to call plays so he can just become the hc.  isn't trent williams a little old?  i'm not sure callahan is the answer.  good oline coach.  not much danger of him becoming a head coach.  he was one of the coaches when scott played for the jets.  he does have a better experience than pollack.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stark said:

Coaching:

Starts out strong. The bring in Callahan thing is probably good idea. The end with Beckham?  That’s worse ending than Dexters final episode. 

13 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

You don’t do Williams AND Thomas.  But one would be nice.  Preferably the young, inexpensive one.

Would you spend for a big time guard like Scherff and still draft a tackle like Thomas?  That seems to make more sense to me than what Scott lays out.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Stark said:

Coaching:

I'd be completely on board with Callahan as Asst. HC. He's awesome. GREAT with the OL.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

Except in rare cases moving OL to different positions isnt smart.  Moving an OT like Thomas to guard risks stunting his growth, if you are an elite college LT stay at LT.  

That being said, this draft happens to have 2 rare cases in Wirfs and Willis who both can more from RT to LT.  Willis protected Tua's blindside as a RT and Wirfs was simply playing RT due to circumstances. I just can't see putting a guy like Thomas at guard as being smart

Trent Williams just won’t happen, too old and baggage 

Chuma Edoga I don’t believe in  think he will be a bust  

Beachum at RT, now I like this  offense lineman don’t grow on trees and Beachum is better than we give him credit for; plus he’s a gentleman 

Drafting Andrew Thomas is a no brainer but start him at LT right away 

Commit to LeVeon Bell? Please do!

Bring In Odell Beckham Jr. for Sam? HELL NO!

• Sympathy 1

1. Sign/draft/re-sign a bunch of OL.
2. Have them all play at a new position so they suck. 
3. Somehow lure a disgruntled pro bowl WR, upset at his young QB, to a worse team with a younger QB. 
4. Making aging RB play better with more age. 
5. Offense fixed. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

So you bring in two cancers in Trent Williams and obj and give the cancer we already have in gase a scapegoat in a new offensive coordinator while simultaneously pissing him off by stripping some of his power and fireing his friend? Then you draft the best tackle prospect in football who will already be off the board before we pick and you play him out of position so that you can justify resigning someone coming off the worst offensive line in football? I want to like this off-season plan but it would make for a better reality TV show than a good football move.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Notice how there wasn't (isn't) a Gase Wish List.  That tells you something.  I'm not saying we should read a lot into it but when you suggest a wish list for a QB, Head Coach, etc. you're essentially saying that person is not the problem and that he needs more to be successful.  This is Bart validating Darnold and pitching ideas to get him to the next level.

If anything, not only isn't Bart saying that "Gase should get X, Y, and Z because he'd then light the world on fire," one of Bart's wishes for Darnold was to limit Gase and take away his play-calling.

My guess is that if you asked a group of respected NFL analysts, commentators and front office experts to identify the best and most valuable parts of the ENTIRE Jets organization from ownership down to the equipment guy their lists would start off with Sam Darnold and Jamal Adams.  Gase, the offensive line, the Johnsons, our Kicker, etc. would all be waaaay down the list.  In fact, the list probably goes something like Darnold, Adams, Gregg Williams, a few other players and then Joe Douglas.