League figures out McVay, Wade Phillips likely out

Integrity28

Check Rotoworld out. Talking about a Rams coaching shake-up. McVay was never as good as his hype. If I’m the Jets, I consider how to bring Wade here. He’s ACTUALLY the DC everyone talks about Rex and Greg Williams being.

If the Rams can shake things up after a down year, so can the Jets. 

• Upvote 2

imo it's a mistake for the rams to launch phillips.  the guy has been an exceptional dc everywhere he's been.  he's getting a little old but that can be a good thing.  as for mcvay, he was only going to be as good as the offense performing.  it's not like they've fallen off a cliff.  it's more like they overachieved last season.  and the defense looked much better when the offense was working.

I don't quite agree the league "figured out" McVay.   Well... maybe somewhat...

The offense struggled for a couple of other reasons.  Gurley is not the same.  They battled a few other injuries.

But McVay saw the issues, and adjusted his offense to use the TEs and they have been more dynamic recently.  Last year it was all WRs.

Also, the Super Bowl loser hangover really seems to be a thing.

I think the Rams are OK. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’d be really cool to bring in Wade and maybe Jason Garrett this offseason, as assistants. It’d be expensive, but both would be huge adds 

Cowboys will win the NFC East, and one playoff game and JJ will keep him another year - I'd love me some Wade

4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

imo it's a mistake for the rams to launch phillips.  the guy has been an exceptional dc everywhere he's been.  he's getting a little old but that can be a good thing.  as for mcvay, he was only going to be as good as the offense performing.  it's not like they've fallen off a cliff.  it's more like they overachieved last season.  and the defense looked much better when the offense was working.

The Rams play in a Division with the 49ers and Seahawks and had a strong SOS given their Super Bowl appearance last year.  They lost a winnable game at the end last night to go to 8-7.  That's not a bad team.

• Upvote 3

I think it's funny that this place thinks the that league figures coaches out of being effective at their job but in the same breathe, talk about acquiring a fossil like Wade Phillips, who apparently hasnt been figured out.

And correct me if I'm wrong but did the Rams jus drop 30+ on the daunted 49'ers D?   One could argue, with extremely strong merit, it was the loaded Wade Phillips D that choked away that game.  Ramsey let Sanders go right by him (apparently expecting help as he literally called his team out in a post game interview, class act that scumbag Nole), that led to a game winning FG.

Oh and guess, what: Rams offense is 12th in points, 10 in yards.  The D?  15 pts, 12 yards.  So....McVay > Phillips? 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I think it's funny that this place thinks the that league figures coaches out of being effective at their job but in the same breathe, talk about acquiring a fossil like Wade Phillips, who apparently hasnt been figured out.

And correct me if I'm wrong but did the Rams jus drop 30+ on the daunted 49'ers D?   One could argue, with extremely strong merit, it was the loaded Wade Phillips D that choked away that game.  Ramsey let Sanders go right by him (apparently expecting help as he literally called his team out in a post game interview, class act that scumbag Nole), that led to a game winning FG.

Oh and guess, what: Rams offense is 12th in points, 10 in yards.  The D?  15 pts, 12 yards.  So....McVay > Phillips? 

LOL

You just can't resist taking a shot! :P 

2 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

The old adage that you only go as far as your QB takes you is proven right once again with the Rams. Goff’s 19 TD’s to 18 INT’s wasn’t that stellar.

Blaming the defence and the coordinator makes zero sense.

I dunno, every time I watch the Rams play, I come away with the same feeling, Jared Goff sucks.

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Lots of words and data to say that when coaches win, they're geniuses, when they lose, the game has passed them by, they let the team come out flat, etc.

This is why I consistently beat the drum of, just draft good players, and the coaching will figure itself out.  We've been blaming the coach for our problems at least as long as I've been posting - and it never gets any better.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Harbaugh, Tomlin, BB, Payton - not figured out.  Everyone else gets "figured out".  lol

It one of the most ridiculous takes in Football.  And this isnt a shot at the Ape, this board loves to spew this nonsense in any situation it feels like it fits.

Yup - The Jets, in fact, are undefeated when they are "prepared" and don't "come out flat."  And if those aren't enough, sometimes we don't "make adjustments," which costs us the game.

5 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Lots of words and data to say that when coaches win, they're geniuses, when they lose, the game has passed them by, they let the team come out flat, etc.

This is why I consistently beat the drum of, just draft good players, and the coaching will figure itself out.  We've been blaming the coach for our problems at least as long as I've been posting - and it never gets any better.

3 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Yup - The Jets, in fact, are undefeated when they are "prepared" and don't "come out flat."  And if those aren't enough, sometimes we don't "make adjustments," which costs us the game.

Coaching matters but it's the old saying of it's the Johnny's and Joe's vs. the X's and O's is the realest sh*t ever said in this sport. 

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

Harbaugh, Tomlin, BB, Payton - not figured out.  Everyone else gets "figured out".  lol

It one of the most ridiculous takes in Football.  And this isnt a shot at the Ape, this board loves to spew this nonsense in any situation it feels like it fits.

The Ape tries to make a monkey out of everyone..

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, JiF said:

The one that scored 31 pts last night vs. a top 5 D? 

lol

Gase managed to score 6 points against the vaunted Bengals so that would be like 80 pts against a D like the 49ers. That's why Gase is an innovative genius and McVay is a washed up hack that's been "figured out"..

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

The old adage that you only go as far as your QB takes you is proven right once again with the Rams. Goff’s 19 TD’s to 18 INT’s wasn’t that stellar.

Blaming the defence and the coordinator makes zero sense.

Somewhat related is Gurley went from an offensive dynamo to ordinary. Another example or RBs aging like dairy products on a summer day. 

One thing I noticed; Aaron Donald is a beast, and Q had best start living in the gym if wants to get anywhere near that any time soon. Got one sack blowing up a double team. That is strength you only get from hard work. 

41 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Check Rotoworld out. Talking about a Rams coaching shake-up. McVay was never as good as his hype. If I’m the Jets, I consider how to bring Wade here. He’s ACTUALLY the DC everyone talks about Rex and Greg Williams being.

If the Rams can shake things up after a down year, so can the Jets. 

I'd be 100% for replacing GW (who wears out his welcome quickly) with Wade Phillips (who seemingly no longer has HC aspirations)

5 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Gase managed to score 6 points against the vaunted Bengals so that would be like 80 pts against a D like the 49ers. That's why Gase is an innovative genius and McVay is a washed up hack that's been "figured out"..

SB Winning coach Gruden managed to score 3 points vs the vaunted Jets defense.    It happens.    The jets looked just like the Raiders, flat and dropping passes.    

27 minutes ago, JiF said:

I wish the league would figure out our offense so well.

27 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Draft wut? 

47 minutes ago, JiF said:

If we’re basing arguments on 1 game, then we’re baking bias into our arguments. Wade has built an effective defense everywhere he’s gone - known for getting pressure and creating turnovers. His body of work tells the story. 

As far as ‘figuring out McVay’ the results dint lie. One game is not the determinant. And the comment was more of a setup for the reality that Wade and others get thrown under the bus.

If you want to keep it simplistic, you can. Rubes will lineup for those types of arguments.

49 minutes ago, JiF said:

Again, I think my headline went over your mutant head.

18 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

If we’re basing arguments on 1 game, then we’re baking bias into our arguments. Wade has built an effective defense everywhere he’s gone - known for getting pressure and creating turnovers. His body of work tells the story. 

As far as ‘figuring out McVay’ the results dint lie. One game is not the determinant. And the comment was more of a setup for the reality that Wade and others get thrown under the bus.

If you want to keep it simplistic, you can. Rubes will lineup for those types of arguments.

The offense is ranked better than the Defense, on the year.  The Rams put up 30 points vs a top 5 D while the D gave up 30+ and a game winning drive but I’m the one confused?  

okay...

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Rams know their window was closing too. How bad does that ridiculous overpay trade value wise for Ramsey earlier this year look now?