Game Observations (PIT)

KRL

37 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So you basically don't think building programs and culture is a thing? 

Edit: I should add I don't necessarily think this game alone is any big program builder/changer.  The week to week basis comment is one I don't agree with though.  

All we heard all week was how this is the culture Pitt has that we don't so we beat them at their own game of having the proper mentality to win. I noticed they made all the mistakes we would make in the past to lose games. And for those who don't see Sam has improved from last year, as we all always say what games are you watching since I am seeing a much more accurate, in command, and confident QB then even the end of last year.

• Upvote 4

Just now, UnknownJetFan said:

our culture or the best chance at changing it around if at all possible is more important than the draft position. Sam and the rest of them have to believe they can win and the vibe in this and other close games is starting to not feel like the other shoe will drop, but that we will win in the clutch. At the end with a TD that could beat us I didn't feel it would occur just like I felt the O would get us some points and felt Fickens would hit the FG making Pitt need a TD they would not get. Heck, the TD they got was a fluke since that would have been the time you play 15 yards off a WR.

In 2020 we will more than likely we have two new WR's, three new OL, and possibly a new RB and TE, . Then you throw in a new kicker and this team will be vastly different, at the very least on Offense.

I'm sorry if I don't see how todays win will help the 2020 Jets win games.  

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The first scripted drive then "brown out" as you called it is very curious to me. Credit to Gase for being very successful on the first drive. It's one thing I can point to and say he's good at.

We've now seen several games where the offense disappears after that though. What can explain this pattern? 

Gase might be a one trick pony who's not able to make in-game adjustments.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RobR said:

These feel good wins at the end never translate to next year for a multitude of reasons. I'm guessing our roster gets churned around a third next year, some coaching changes, and then everyone will forget how they beat the Steelers last year. 

Competitive sports are a week to week basis especially with the roster turnover. The only ones that will be celebrating this win a year from now is some of the posters here. The win today cost us draft capital and didn't help one bit when we reach for the ultimate goal. 

Nonsense.  If they had lost this game, everyone would be complaining they're not 'building anything'.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Giants blew it so bad today lol

bye bye Young 

Don't really care about the Giants.  I am just happy that the Phins lost their shot at him today; would hate to have to go up against that guy twice a year if he turns out as good as we think.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, RobR said:

In 2020 we will more than likely we have two new WR's, three new OL, and possibly a new RB and TE, . Then you throw in a new kicker and this team will be vastly different, at the very least on Offense.

Every team changes some roster positions from year to year.  Patriots included.

Certain key players in the LR, expectations based on records, and the CS make a legacy/culture.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, RobR said:

But the same young QB.  Gotta mean something 

27 minutes ago, Lith said:

Don't really care about the Giants.  I am just happy that the Phins lost their shot at him today; would hate to have to go up against that guy twice a year if he turns out as good as we think.

I’m pretty sure that guy is a giants fan. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, KRL said:

When the season is over everything reboots.  But certain things
Darnold has done will carry over because he's your QB:

- After the MIA game he talked about winning out and making a
run.  They've gone 5-2.  If as a 22 year old he can rally the
team after an awful start, that's huge

- In the second half Darnold's stats are 140/231 (61%), 1748
yards, 12 TD, 3 INT

- And the improvement in facing elite defenses has been drastic: 

* NE: 11/32 (34%), 86 yards, 0 TD, 4 INT

* BAL & PIT: 34/58 (59%), 401 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT  

for me...  this the the first phase....    raising the floor of bad/poor games or games vs good D.

gotta bring up the comp% by making some of the makeable throws he's been missing.

make a few plays with his feet.

6 minutes ago, talisaynon said:

Darnold can’t make plays if he’s passing to garbage like Vincent smith or an old Demaryius Thomas. Guys who routinely drop his balls and he can’t trust to win the 1 on 1 battles. He needs help. 

need that other wr.

also true is that 17 other NFL teams have as many or more drops.

image.png.e191c14ac04456c67a9d9c42a239b6b0.png

28 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

need that other wr.

also true is that 17 other NFL teams have as many or more drops.

image.png.e191c14ac04456c67a9d9c42a239b6b0.png

It’s not just about drops.  Those are killer but it’s also about getting separation quickly and making the throw easier and before the Qb feels the rush. We need more guys winning the one on one battles

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

It’s not just about drops.  Those are killer but it’s also about getting separation quickly and making the throw easier and before the Qb feels the rush. We need more guys winning the one on one battles

i agreed with you on thr addition of another wr bettern smth/thomas

but the whole drops routine is tired. we're bang in the middle.

• Thumb Down 1

Up 13-10 in the middle-end of the 4th. I wanted to see Sam pull together a long/time consuming TD to ice the game. We were getting that...until that low snap Darnold had to recover. Absolutely killed our momentum.

Shame because, I think we had them on their heels and were going for 7. I won’t complain though, because it was still a scoring drive that forced them to think td instead of fg.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, BUM-KNEE said:

I only saw the highlights, but it seemed Bell was hitting the holes with a little more speed.

Or was that just a small sample mirage?

Bell lost 11 or 13 yards on one really dumb play where he turned back to the middle and ran backwards only to get snuffed.  Without that play his numbers are still not impressive, but it's probably worth noting.

46 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Bell lost 11 or 13 yards on one really dumb play where he turned back to the middle and ran backwards only to get snuffed.  Without that play his numbers are still not impressive, but it's probably worth noting.

Saw that play, not sure what he was thinking there.

He did look quicker hitting the holes on some runs, I guess it wasn't all game though.

14 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Saw that play, not sure what he was thinking there.

He did look quicker hitting the holes on some runs, I guess it wasn't all game though.

as you know. there are plenny of times where there is no hole...  and he cant get to the edge to save his life cos he is SLOW

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, RobR said:

These feel good wins at the end never translate to next year for a multitude of reasons. I'm guessing our roster gets churned around a third next year, some coaching changes, and then everyone will forget how they beat the Steelers last year. 

Competitive sports are a week to week basis especially with the roster turnover. The only ones that will be celebrating this win a year from now is some of the posters here. The win today cost us draft capital and didn't help one bit when we reach for the ultimate goal. 

They have to change the culture associated with the Jets - winning games is one part of that and this will help in the next season

17 hours ago, KRL said:

Credit to the defensive staff for developing so many "under the radar" players.
Because every week it seems like I'm mentioning the same names

This is also a credit to the Pro Player scouting department.  While the college scouts have been shaky, the Pro Player Department has been excellent.  The number of no-names brought in that have done good to above-average jobs include:

Burgess, Maulet, Compton, Hewitt, Crowder, Basham, Brass-balls Berrios, Brown, Canady, Copeland, Hairston, Langi, Lewis, Poole, V. Smith, Griffin.

That's a huge chunk of the roster and each has been a solid contributor.

8 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

This is also a credit to the Pro Player scouting department.  While the college scouts have been shaky, the Pro Player Department has been excellent.  The number of no-names brought in that have done good to above-average jobs include:

Burgess, Maulet, Compton, Hewitt, Crowder, Basham, Brass-balls Berrios, Brown, Canady, Copeland, Hairston, Langi, Lewis, Poole, V. Smith, Griffin.

That's a huge chunk of the roster and each has been a solid contributor.

Most of these guys will now depth with experience. That is huge. We go into 2020 with depth at CB if we find a #1, really good depth at LB, a very solid #2 TE in Griffin, and a Punt returner/Depth Slot WR in Berrios. 

Lewis & Compton depth on the Oline. With a great draft increasing the talent of the starters, this bodes well for a much better 53 man roster from top to bottom. 

I think a win is a win. And adds to the culture. No, it doesn't DIRECTLY translate to next year. But how are you going to play against the ultimate franchise and claim that their history doesn't contribute to their success.

I was just thinking: wow, this is a game that the Jets didn't manage to lose. They surely didn't play their best but

• they didn't have the crucial penalty to keep a drive going.
  • Marcus Maye didn't let them score on that long pass play.
  • Darnold didn't have the crucial pick or 2nd-half fumble.
  • The officials didn't give it to the Steelers on spec.

All in all, this is a game previous Jets teams lose and I think that means something good that they didn't.