Darnold's Second Half

KRL

Good sign in my view, after the 2 terrible games against Jaquars and Pats he did not collapse but showed some toughness with limited weapons.........Still has a couple of head scratchers every game but future is bright imo!

After the two disaster games the last 8 games look like this.....

167-270.....62%......13 tds....4 int......251 ypg.......5-3 record......

• Upvote 3

He is on par with some of the best QB performance the Jets have had in the last 20 years. Now, that is not an overly complimentary statement.

The good news is that he is not a finished product yet, and the stats those other qbs achieved at that time was their absolute ceiling.

I am sure that we all would have rather seen a HUGE jump in performance this year, but the mono and players around him degraded that possibility to some degree. 

I for one am glad that we have him and can watch him hopefully grow into that franchise qb.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, KRL said:

I posted this in the Game Observation thread but since his numbers
are so stark I figured I'd put them in a new thread:

When the season is over everything reboots.  But certain things
Darnold has done will carry over because he's your QB:

- After the MIA game he talked about winning out and making a
run.  They've gone 5-2.  If as a 22 year old he can rally the
team after an awful start, that's huge

- In the second half Darnold's stats are 140/231 (61%), 1748
yards, 12 TD, 3 INT

- And the improvement in facing elite defenses has been drastic: 

* NE: 11/32 (34%), 86 yards, 0 TD, 4 INT

* BAL & PIT: 34/58 (59%), 401 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT  

Dont forget he rushed for 2 TDs as well in the second half. 

So 14 total TDs. 

• Upvote 2

I've seen him incl yesterday go into mini slumps that actually are not that mini. For a good part of the game. 3 and outs and series with no completions. It's him and the offense and maybe the play calling. So while I think Sam can be a franchise Qb he's not consistent enough to be one now. He doesn't lift the O out of slumps he's a good part of the reason for the slump. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I've seen him incl yesterday go into mini slumps that actually are not that mini. For a good part of the game. 3 and outs and series with no completions. It's him and the offense and maybe the play calling. So while I think Sam can be a franchise Qb he's not consistent enough to be one now. He doesn't lift the O out of slumps he's a good part of the reason for the slump. 

I get it. But to be fair, he's missing his top 2 TE's and he's proven he really likes throwing to them. DT has been out and we lack a true #1 and depth. On top of it all he's playing behind one of the worst lines in the league. Build the line, get Herndon and Griffen back, add another WR and Sam will be perfectly fine.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Ridiculously bright. He’s growing and he’s growing without a #1 receiver, without a safety blanket tight end, and with the WORST offensive line in the ******* league. 

Sam Darnold is the future. 

That means a lot coming from you. Since you and Sam are so close.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

And all it took was him asserting himself and telling his coach how bad his gameplans. Just imagine how good Darnold could be if the coach could figure out how to use one of the best running backs in the NFL. 

Just go away...please, are we watching the same Le'veon Bell? He looks slow as sh*t! Any RB could have forged ahead yesterday burrowing through small holes for 2/3 yards. Obviously Pollack worked on some blocking schemes that caught the Steelers off guard in the 1st series but being a top 5 defense they adjusted. Unfortunetly Gase doesn't have the players on the Oline to readjust again & dominate anyone. Jets Oline is incredibly weak at run blocking, 31st in the league & Bells very apparent losses burst & running style of hesitating does not help. 

Le'veon Bell was just another free agent mistake by Macc along with Trumaine Johnson. The Jets are stuck with Bell because anyone watching tape of him can see his diminished speed. He's just an average or maybe slightly above average RB & im sure there are players in the 2020 draft that could give this offense more speed. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

I'm trying not to get too high or too low on Sam.  Yesterday he still did some head scratching things -- throwing an awful ball into double coverage only to be bailed out by the good graces of Vyncint Smith, missing Crowder on a wide open wheel for a huge play, losing another fumble, heck, even his dime to Robby in the endzone was into double coverage.  But also gotta give credit where it's due.  His pocket presence seems to be quickly improving (along with more solid pass blocking on the offensive line - imagine that!) and he still put together some drives where they were needed.

I just posted in another thread about Josh Allens year. Despite having a superior Oline, and a better Defense supporting him with a top 3 CB in Ladavious White, Allen in 15 games has thrown for over 300 Yards once & his completion % is 50%. What this tells me is if Joe Douglas can build an Oline where Sam Darnold isn't saying ONE ONE THOUSAND, TWO ONE THOUSAND, in his head knowing he has pretty much 2 seconds to hold the ball, he could really ascend next year with more confidence in his Oline & the pocket. 
Joe Douglas doesn't have to find TEs, with Herndon & Griffin next year with a 2nd year Wesco the TE spot should be all set & just imagine Sam & Gase having 3 healthy TEs. So on offense, JD 1st needs to fix the Oline but boy o boy imagine if a player like CeeDee Lamb falls to us in the 1st round & JD finds a way to sign Robbie as a #2 WR? 
The defense needs another CB & a Pass Rusher and the return of all of our injured players. Our LB core will be REALLY GOOD, especially with Hewitt & Bashum shining this year. Exciting future, I'm sure JD can't wait to get started. 

If we don’t address the o-line this is all moot but agree with everything you shared and it has me excited. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

23 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

I'm trying not to get too high or too low on Sam.  Yesterday he still did some head scratching things -- throwing an awful ball into double coverage only to be bailed out by the good graces of Vyncint Smith, missing Crowder on a wide open wheel for a huge play, losing another fumble, heck, even his dime to Robby in the endzone was into double coverage.  But also gotta give credit where it's due.  His pocket presence seems to be quickly improving (along with more solid pass blocking on the offensive line - imagine that!) and he still put together some drives where they were needed.

He’s not quite there yet, but it’s hard to evaluate him. The guy is playing with 5 backup OL, a 3rd/4th string TE, he’s got Vyncint Smith starting opposite of Robby Anderson, and the running game is nonexistent. Gase can’t even use Bell as a receiving option because he needs to stay in and help with protection. This has been a very QB dependent team, and it was nice to see the Jets win a game in which he was not asked to do a lot. 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, SummerofSam14 said:

He’s not quite there yet, but it’s hard to evaluate him. The guy is playing with 5 backup OL, a 3rd/4th string TE, he’s got Vyncint Smith starting opposite of Robby Anderson, and the running game is nonexistent. Gase can’t even use Bell as a receiving option because he needs to stay in and help with protection. This has been a very QB dependent team, and it was nice to see the Jets win a game in which he was not asked to do a lot. 

Agree.  Sure would be nice to put some pieces around him.  He's also got to lift whatever he does have around him to another level.

27 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Agree on the Vyncint Smith pass and missing Crowder. Totally disagree on the fumble. The pressure was on him quickly and Watt dropped the hammer on both the football and Sam's nuts. That fumble was not Sam's fault. And the pass to Robbie was in a spot where only Robbie could catch it. Get used to it. That's what great QB play looks like.  When you are that good and that confident you squeeze some passes into coverage for big completions.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

And all it took was him asserting himself and telling his coach how bad his gameplans. Just imagine how good Darnold could be if the coach could figure out how to use one of the best running backs in the NFL. 

Can you just go kick a dog or something?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

the whole team is playing better.  darnold finally got healthy after the mono and the oline finally started playing together.  okay they still need an infusion of talent but what it shows is that pollack may be more maligned than he should be and there are some players that deserve to play.  and the oline is learning how to block for bell. the other thing is the wr's are figuring things out. they're getting open and making plays.  that coupled with a defense that is playing much better than the talent level would have anyone believe has made this team pretty good.

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

But when these slumps are occurring many of these games he's getting the winning drives in the end of the games. So, whe the chips are down he is getting it done. Many of these slumps I notice are when we are ahead and I then see many drives of 1st and second down runs causing 3rd and long. When that occurs we don't have enough time with the Oline and only decent WRs to convert when Sam has to then rush throws or risks sacks/strip fumbles. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Who? LOL. Bell looks like a shadow of himself behind this line (Thanks, Mac). C'mon, man. 

4 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

many drives of 1st and second down runs causing 3rd and long.

and if they throw it, bengals ring a bell?, then jetnation cries gase doesnt use bell enough...

the major problem is we need ol to be better/ we need another wr/we need sam to makae more plays

2 hours ago, KRL said:

- And the improvement in facing elite defenses has been drastic: 

* NE: 11/32 (34%), 86 yards, 0 TD, 4 INT

* BAL & PIT: 34/58 (59%), 401 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT

We can talk about how the schedule has eased up for the Jets in the second half of the season, which it has, but Sam & Gase have been pretty impressive against two top 5 defenses in a row here (and facing another on Sunday). It's hard not to be encouraged. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

58 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Everything changed when he basically started coaching his head coach, and that sleezeball started taking credit for it like it was a jedi mind trick... not unlike how he took credit for Manning.

Man, you sure come in with some harsh personal judgments. Love to hear your take on your wife's friends.