Darnold's Second Half

KRL

Ah, yes.

Our daily “Let’s talk about how our 26th ranked QB has greatly improved despite what the “trolls” say, because we just want to get together and tell each other how grateful we are we have him instead of Jackson and Allen” thread.

Yippee.

So if we plugged Jackson or Allen at QB instead of Darnold with our current roster we would be 12-3. Got it. What makes you so sure Jackson or Allen would thrive with this roster?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I’m happy Sam had a greatly improved second half, but i mean we had possibly the easiest second half schedule possible. From week 8 on our opponents were a combined 37 games under 500. That includes the Ravens at 13-2.

not saying it’s irrelevant as our past qbs would suck against poor competition, but i mean it’d be scary if he didn’t excel against the competition he had. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, KRL said:

I posted this in the Game Observation thread but since his numbers
are so stark I figured I'd put them in a new thread:

When the season is over everything reboots.  But certain things
Darnold has done will carry over because he's your QB:

- After the MIA game he talked about winning out and making a
run.  They've gone 5-2.  If as a 22 year old he can rally the
team after an awful start, that's huge

- In the second half Darnold's stats are 140/231 (61%), 1748
yards, 12 TD, 3 INT

- And the improvement in facing elite defenses has been drastic: 

* NE: 11/32 (34%), 86 yards, 0 TD, 4 INT

* BAL & PIT: 34/58 (59%), 401 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT  

2017 he played in the USC offense.  2018 he played in Jeremy Bates' system. 2019 he's played in Adam Gase's system.

Darnold has a pattern of playing much better after he gets some games under his belt in a system, not surprisingly.  He ended 2018 really well and he's played great the second half of this year.

I look forward to the kid have some stability for the 2020 season and getting to play in the same system for the first time in 3+ years. And (cough) he's 22 (cough)...dude is still growing and learning.

73102246_10156429437011231_2466162451767361536_n.thumb.jpg.60147cbc42b021de3f3224f2d7fb940f.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I look forward to the kid have some stability for the 2020 season and getting to play in the same system for the first time in 3+ years. And (cough) he's 22 (cough)...dude is still growing and learning.

one o the reason the fire gase crowd argument was (cough) assanine (cough)

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jetster said:

I just posted in another thread about Josh Allens year. Despite having a superior Oline, and a better Defense supporting him with a top 3 CB in Ladavious White, Allen in 15 games has thrown for over 300 Yards once & his completion % is 50%. What this tells me is if Joe Douglas can build an Oline where Sam Darnold isn't saying ONE ONE THOUSAND, TWO ONE THOUSAND, in his head knowing he has pretty much 2 seconds to hold the ball, he could really ascend next year with more confidence in his Oline & the pocket. 

Joe Douglas doesn't have to find TEs, with Herndon & Griffin next year with a 2nd year Wesco the TE spot should be all set & just imagine Sam & Gase having 3 healthy TEs. So on offense, JD 1st needs to fix the Oline but boy o boy imagine if a player like CeeDee Lamb falls to us in the 1st round & JD finds a way to sign Robbie as a #2 WR? 

The defense needs another CB & a Pass Rusher and the return of all of our injured players. Our LB core will be REALLY GOOD, especially with Hewitt & Bashum shining this year. Exciting future, I'm sure JD can't wait to get started. 

1. OL

2. WR

3. OL

4. OL

• Sympathy 1

On SNY tonight they discussed Darnold and Bart Scott as usual was controversial. But he made a good point. Sam said when asked after the game if he’d improved over year 1 and as expected said yes. But Bart disagreed and gave specifics as to why Sam showed more at the end of year 1 and he named the games. Ray Lucas agreed with him and so do I. This season he’s had lapses made some bad decisions and isn’t despite some good plays and toughness the bonafide candidate to be our long term franchise QB. I think he will be but like Bart said I’m not as certain about it like I was a year ago. 

6 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

On SNY tonight they discussed Darnold and Bart Scott as usual was controversial. But he made a good point. Sam said when asked after the game if he’d improved over year 1 and as expected said yes. But Bart disagreed and gave specifics as to why Sam showed more at the end of year 1 and he named the games. Ray Lucas agreed with him and do I. This season he’s had lapses made some bad decisions and isn’t despite some good plays and toughness the bonafide candidate to be our long term franchise QB. I think he will be but like Bart said I’m not as certain about it like I was a year ago. 

I didn't see the show but I will say I definitely have more questions about Darnold after this season than last. His numbers were slightly better this year but he still turned the ball the same number of times (22) in one less game and he just seems to have so many WTF are you even doing bro, moments. It certainly wasn't the big "I'm here" jump I was hoping for and I actually thought he was more clutch in big spots last year.

Hopefully the team around him is better next year and we see a better version of Darnold. 

8 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

On SNY tonight they discussed Darnold and Bart Scott as usual was controversial. But he made a good point. Sam said when asked after the game if he’d improved over year 1 and as expected said yes. But Bart disagreed and gave specifics as to why Sam showed more at the end of year 1 and he named the games. Ray Lucas agreed with him and do I. This season he’s had lapses made some bad decisions and isn’t despite some good plays and toughness the bonafide candidate to be our long term franchise QB. I think he will be but like Bart said I’m not as certain about it like I was a year ago. 

He just tried to be the Hero too much. The oline breaks down, he wanted to keep it alive as long as possible and make a throw no matter what. 

He needs to learn he can’t always force it. And he needs to make that decision faster. 

Let’s not have a everchanging rotation in front of him and maybe he’ll be OK. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

His pocket awareness and movement have gone backwards and he doesn’t run for first downs anymore. He holds the ball a lot more. His anticipation has gotten worse.  His footwork and mechanics are still hit and miss  

I hope that the main reason is Gase. 

I posted recently that I remain hopeful that he will get better with a running game and weapons but I agree with you that I felt a lot better last year at this time. 

40 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Ray earlier in the episode also mentioned that he still thinks highly of Sam 'has what it takes to be special'. 

Bart has been a huge Sam supporter (said he would have won a SB with him), I think he really dislikes Gase and thinks he held back Sam this year.  That he feels Sam didn't have the signature performances he did last year against Rodgers and Watson - I don't have the impression means he's lost faith rather he kept saying he didn't learn anything new about the team this year.