New Look At Possible Trade Partners For Adams With New Draft Rankings And Team Needs

People actually still think theres a chance in hell that a 1st and 3rd would be enough?

The price was a 1st and two 2nds before Jamal played like one of the best defensive players in the league for a month.  

Kings ransom or extension.  That's it.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

There’s going to be a lot of calls down in Dallas for culture changers and the fans down there were banging the drum hard for Adams at the deadline this year. Seems like a natural fit. There might be two or three safety/LB types drafted before the Cowboys pick, so it’d be decent value for them, too. 

Plus the Cowboys pick gets more appealing with each passing week.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I'm not trading Jamal Adams for just a 1st round pick. And if i'm another team, I wouldn't give up much more besides just a 1st round pick for a SS.

The Jets have a great player in Adams. They should just lock him up and move on unless some team wants to massively overpay them for him. 

This. You don't trade a Pro Bowl player for the same draft capital that you used to pick him. Regardless of posters here like it or not, he was taken in the draft right where he was expected to go and has lived up to his pre-draft status.  If we decide to trade him, the team that wants him has to pay us back a top half first plus additional picks to compensate for the fact that he is now a known commodity and not a risky draft pick. 

People question why the Pats consistently trade picks for players (like a 2nd for Sanu) instead of just drafting potential better ones. It's because while the ceiling MIGHT be better in the draft, at least you know what you are going to get with an established player...the floor is much higher and it seems a lot of other GM's don't consider that nearly enough when making player trades because they put too much stock in their own drafting abilities. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Pac said:

People actually still think theres a chance in hell that a 1st and 3rd would be enough?

The price was a 1st and two 2nds before Jamal played like one of the best defensive players in the league for a month.  

Kings ransom or extension.  That's it.

Jerry is king in Jerry world, but I don't think Adams is his answer he would have pulled the trigger the first time. No JJ has lots of problems in big D. Dallas Sucks!

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

I think if the Jets have an extra pick that can get them another blue chip OL or WR in the 1st round, that has more value to the team than Jamal Adams.  Keeping Darnold upright and getting him offensive weapons in 2020 is priority 1, 2, and 3 for this team and if that has to come at the expense of a safety that we will be selling high on, so be it.  

The question is... Does the pick you might get for Adams actually work out ??? There are a lot of first round picks that are out of the league after their rookie contract is up.  Adams is a bird in the hand.  If there is a trade deal for Adams, I would rather get proven top o-line talent with low mileage in trade.  

My big beef is the money Adams will want if the Jets keep/extend him.  Is it smart to dedicating $15mm to a box safety ???  I love Adams, but I also hear and respect the opinion of the fans who feel $15mm a year is not an ultimate value even for the best box safety in the league.  We'd be talking about a 4 year $60mm contract.  It is extravagant for a SS.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I'm not trading Jamal Adams for just a 1st round pick. And if i'm another team, I wouldn't give up much more besides just a 1st round pick for a SS.

The Jets have a great player in Adams. They should just lock him up and move on unless some team wants to massively overpay them for him. 

I was against trading Adams for just a top end first (plus later pick) until I seen the team without him. 
When Mangold got injured the team fell apart but not when Adams did. He’s a good player and a top SS but he’s not as important as protecting Darnold. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm not against the idea of trading Adams.  I get the logic.  And I'm on record to go all offense this offseason but I'll say this, if they trade Adams, they better hit on whoever they take with this pick.  Adams is a ******* beast and one of the best safeties in the league.  Anything less than a pro-bowler taken with the hypothetical Adams pick will be a colossal mistake.  And if said player busts out well, I dont really know what to say.

There is something to be said about a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

totally agree with this.  they need more players like adams.  just look at the recent first rounders the jets have picked up.  none of them besides adams and darnold had meant more to this team.  and get the whole point about safeties shouldn't be picked 6th yadda yadda yadda but if they make a trade they really need to get at least 2 very good players out of the draft.

48 minutes ago, bitonti said:

trey adams stayed in school because of the injury and he still might be a 2nd rder because of the injury history 

prediction he is the 4th OT drafted at best (could be like 6th or 7th, depending on combine medicals) 

i should have made the bet with you.  looks like the jets have won 6 games with a decent chance of 7. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I'm not against the idea of trading Adams.  I get the logic.  And I'm on record to go all offense this offseason but I'll say this, if they trade Adams, they better hit on whoever they take with this pick.  Adams is a ******* beast and one of the best safeties in the league.  Anything less than a pro-bowler taken with the hypothetical Adams pick will be a colossal mistake.  And if said player busts out well, I dont really know what to say.

There is something to be said about a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Unfortunately it’s a gamble but one that should be taken. If they have a chance to get a starting OT and OG/OC plus a later pick it’s completely worth the risk. 
If they could have a similar draft to 2006 it would put the team back in the playoffs. 

• Upvote 2

Before you went on that long drive, did u consider maybe the Jets want to keep Adams? I mean, they were being offered a first and a 4th IIRC and they said no. He only got better after that. He’s the reason our secondary somewhat held the fort. Without him, we would be dead last and it wouldn’t even be debatable. Let’s not fix what’s not broken. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, CurtMart said:

Before you went on that long drive, did u consider maybe the Jets want to keep Adams? I mean, they were being offered a first and a 4th IIRC and they said no. He only got better after that. He’s the reason our secondary somewhat held the fort. Without him, we would be dead last and it wouldn’t even be debatable. Let’s not fix what’s not broken. 

The team is broken. They’re not winning until the oline is fixed and more pieces are added. Should they keep Adams then let him walk next year and get nothing or trade him and get a first plus?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, y2k8 said:

Change this to trade partners for Bell and we can talk.  

No one wants Bell. Not many wanted him in free agency. Giving up assets for a back you could literally draft in the 3rd or 4th round is dumb and so is Macc for signing him. 

1 hour ago, Jetscode1 said:

IMHO keeping Adams makes us a better ball club and I'm hopeful that Joe Douglas sees it the same way.

No. It doesn’t. The difference between Jamal and a middle of the pack safety versus the difference between Harrison or Edoga and a middle of the pack center or tackle is cavernous. In terms of importance on a defense the position Adams plays isn’t likely top 5. Edge rusher, CB1, CB2, MLB, FS, NB, are all wayyy more important to the outcome of success for a defense. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

It's also worth considering that the team that employs the highest paid Strong Safety in the NFL, is about to pick #2 in the draft.

Who are playing QB not NFL ready, have a interim coach who replaced their fired HC mid season.  Worth considering too is they paid a SS coming off two bad seasons.  

3 hours ago, New York Mick said:

I’m a huge Adams supporter but until the offense is fixed he’s expendable. No passrusher or CB is more important then protecting the QB so a SS definitely isn’t. If they could get a starting OC/OG to pair with a starting OT plus add one or two OL through FA the offense would be a lot better next season. Adams is a great addition to the team but he’s not a franchise changing players to a team with a questionable offense. 

Cmon

No team with a top 15 pick is giving that up for Adams. You Adam's trade-ists need to wake up and smell the grind. At best some late round 25+ pick in the first will be giving up, more likely a 2nd rounder. Teams fall in love with draft prospects in feb-april... the time to (erroneously) trade Adams has passed.... teams like DAL still had hopes of making the playoffs and a SB run

Forget it. 

• Upvote 2

So with all the posts about trading Jamal Adams here, can any one name our #3 Safety?  I'm pretty sure you'd have to look it up.  And when you do, you will not be impressed.  So you're going to get a high pick that you hope will turn into a good play (maybe a 50% chance of that), and then burn another pick trying to replace  Jamal with at least a competent Safety (maybe a 30% chance of that).  And then, if you hit on both picks, you'll have downgraded one position substantially to hopefully improve another.

The math isn't exactly good.  

9 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Cmon

No team with a top 15 pick is giving that up for Adams. You Adam's trade-ists need to wake up and smell the grind. At best some late round 25+ pick in the first will be giving up, more likely a 2nd rounder. Teams fall in love with draft prospects in feb-april... the time to (erroneously) trade Adams has passed.... teams like DAL still had hopes of making the playoffs and a SB run

Forget it. 

Then they keep him. 

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

So with all the posts about trading Jamal Adams here, can any one name our #3 Safety?  I'm pretty sure you'd have to look it up.  And when you do, you will not be impressed.  So you're going to get a high pick that you hope will turn into a good play

No, we won't. Pipe dream by some in here. 

3 hours ago, New York Mick said:

What teams would likely trade a first round pick for a top SS? No one in the top 15 IMO. 
Teams that need a S according to draft nerds with their estimated draft spot. 

49ers - 31st 

Broncos - 11th

Browns - 12th

Cowboys - 16th

Jags - 6th, 20th

Panthers - 8th

8 teams need a QB, 13 teams need an OT and 12 teams need edge (in bold) which is more important then a SS so that’s going to eliminate 3 of the 6 trade partners. That leaves Cowboys, 49ers and Jags. The 49ers are going to be picking in the late 20s early 30s which I think is too low of a pick unless they give up a 2nd which I don’t see them doing so they’re out IMO that leaves the board favorite the Cowboys and also the Jags which I think is the most likely because they have two 1st rounders. They’ll be able to get a CB, WR or DT with the 5th/6th pick and trade the top 20 for Adams. They’d be able to fix their secondary in one year if they get Adams and hit on a CB. 
That gives the Jets two 1st, one in the top 10 and one in the top 20. They’d be able to get the first or second ranked OT and a top WR or first ranked OG/OC or even a CB or Edge as long as they address the OL with the first pick I’d be happy.

Wouldn’t we need a SS if we traded one ?

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

So with all the posts about trading Jamal Adams here, can any one name our #3 Safety?  I'm pretty sure you'd have to look it up.  And when you do, you will not be impressed.  So you're going to get a high pick that you hope will turn into a good play (maybe a 50% chance of that), and then burn another pick trying to replace  Jamal with at least a competent Safety (maybe a 30% chance of that).  And then, if you hit on both picks, you'll have downgraded one position substantially to hopefully improve another.

The math isn't exactly good.  

Is it better to trade him and get two picks (should be OL and OL/WR) or keep him one year the let him walk or pay him a lot? I’d rather trade him and get OL. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

It's also worth considering that the team that employs the highest paid Strong Safety in the NFL, is about to pick #2 in the draft.

Correlation does not equal causation. Could easily say that 3 out of 4 teams with the highest paid SS in the NFL are playoff teams (assuming TEN gets in) so we should lock up Adams ASAP if we want any hope of making the playoffs next year. Neither point holds any water in real life though. 

The best safety in the NFL had six tackles yesterday while chasing the DB sack record (?) and the Steelers offense made bank throwing the football where the strong safety usually lines up. After three seasons, it’s amazing how hard some of you cape for a guy who makes six tackles and dances after each one. Adams wasn’t as important to that win as Arthur Maulet or Brandon Shell (other than one play) was

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

This draft is supposedly top heavy with OL and WR.  And the Jets need to quickly build an offense around Darnold.  So, it makes sense to get as many picks in the first three rounds as possible to draft offense, b/c they're NOT going to nail all the picks.  

One or more of the picks will likely be duds, so get as many as you can for this draft.  Thus, if a team is willing to part with, say, a first and third rounder for Adams, the Jets should take it.  I like Adams; he's a very good player, but the Jets need to heavily prioritize the offense in this upcoming draft.

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Who are playing QB not NFL ready, have a interim coach who replaced their fired HC mid season.  Worth considering too is they paid a SS coming off two bad seasons.  

We can explain it away any way we see fit, but the fact is there is only one team paying that kind of money for a SS and they are very bad.  It’s not a dig on Adams to say that making him the highest paid safety in the league is not a good decision in a salary cap league.

• Upvote 1