New York Mick

New Look At Possible Trade Partners For Adams With New Draft Rankings And Team Needs

27 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Correlation does not equal causation. Could easily say that 3 out of 4 teams with the highest paid SS in the NFL are playoff teams (assuming TEN gets in) so we should lock up Adams ASAP if we want any hope of making the playoffs next year. Neither point holds any water in real life though. 

Not implying causation, just something to consider when you have a salary cap.  Who are you calling the other 3 SSs?  Because if you’re including Kenny Viccaro of TEN, I have no issue with Jamal Adams at 6M per.  Think we can keep him for that?  Considering he’s making over 5 now?

9 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

We can explain it away any way we see fit, but the fact is there is only one team paying that kind of money for a SS and they are very bad.  It’s not a dig on Adams to say that making him the highest paid safety in the league is not a good decision in a salary cap league.

Looking at the Skins record  as an example against Adams isn’t the right argument though.   

As is making the case to trad him now because we’ll have to pay him a few years down the road.  He has another couple of years like the last two we may get more.  I don’t want to trade him for a mid or low round first and chance that pick being a better player 

15 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Why do people desperately want to trade our best defensive player?

Thankfully it's only a small faction of weirdos, freaks, and geeks. 

Think of these threads as you holding the laser pointer and darting it back and forth while @T0mShane chases it.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The best safety in the NFL had six tackles yesterday while chasing the DB sack record (?) and the Steelers offense made bank throwing the football where the strong safety usually lines up. After three seasons, it’s amazing how hard some of you cape for a guy who makes six tackles and dances after each one. Adams wasn’t as important to that win as Arthur Maulet or Brandon Shell (other than one play) was

Liberal use of the word "bank" here.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Looking at the Skins record  as an example against Adams isn’t the right argument though.   

As is making the case to trad him now because we’ll have to pay him a few years down the road.  He has another couple of years like the last two we may get more.  I don’t want to trade him for a mid or low round first and chance that pick being a better player 

The skins record is, at least, a cautionary tale about the value of a SS.  It’s not the end-all, be-all.  Just speaks to a positional value argument that many have stated all along.  Add to that that WAS is a bottom half of the league defense and pass defense, and it should, if we remove emotion, give pause about making a 14M+/year investment at that position.

Are we certain Jamal Adams plays without a hold out next year?  Honestly, he shouldn’t.  If I were his agent, I’d advise him to hold out.  And, even if he doesn’t, the longer we wait, the less leverage we have, because it looks less likely we’d pay him.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He’s going to hold out this offseason for a new deal.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pac said:

You felt good about getting blown out by the Ravens?

Adams wouldn’t of changed that outcome. Jackson would run circles around Adams. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

This. You don't trade a Pro Bowl player for the same draft capital that you used to pick him. Regardless of posters here like it or not, he was taken in the draft right where he was expected to go and has lived up to his pre-draft status.  If we decide to trade him, the team that wants him has to pay us back a top half first plus additional picks to compensate for the fact that he is now a known commodity and not a risky draft pick. 

People question why the Pats consistently trade picks for players (like a 2nd for Sanu) instead of just drafting potential better ones. It's because while the ceiling MIGHT be better in the draft, at least you know what you are going to get with an established player...the floor is much higher and it seems a lot of other GM's don't consider that nearly enough when making player trades because they put too much stock in their own drafting abilities. 

Good points but you completely ignore what Adams will demand and cost in a couple of years.  As great as he may be, positional value is kind of important in a salary capped league. Need to factor that into the decision on Adams. If the team does not believe in investing what he will demand to that position, then it makes great sense to trade him while he's hot.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

There were three teams interested at the deadline. The Cowboys offer of a 1st and 5th was not the best offer. All rumors of course.

Trading Jamal for just a late 1st doesn’t make sense. 

If we trade him to the Cowboys, I’m expecting something like a 1st, 3rd and a 2021 3rd. 

49 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Why do people desperately want to trade our best defensive player?

Because he’s a SS and the offense is more important 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

This thread was suppose to be more about who would be a potential trade partner not wether or not Adams should be traded but I figured it would go that way. 

18 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Good points but you completely ignore what Adams will demand and cost in a couple of years.  As great as he may be, positional value is kind of important in a salary capped league. Need to factor that into the decision on Adams. If the team does not believe in investing what he will demand to that position, then it makes great sense to trade him while he's hot.

That's definitely true...and the closer we get to his contract extension the lesser value we get back. I also think that teams are more likely to overpay during the season than they are in the offseason. During the season, a team on the edge of the playoffs can easily justify losing a 2nd - 4th round pick if they feel the alternative is watching from home. In the offseason, everyone is more optimistic about their chances, especially before the draft, and would rather keep the extra pick and try to find a gamechanger in the draft. 

5 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Jets trading Adams be pure stupidity 

Here is the funny part of the stupidity of those that want Adams traded is this..

They are mad at Adams for the way he acted at the trade deadline. God forbid a young player shows emotions and maybe a lot of immaturity because he was mad as hell that he might be traded... LOL.....   I know that last sentence might be hard for a lot of people to understand so let me re-phrase and explain it.  Jamaal Adams was mad and acted in a way he shouldn't have becasue he DID NOT want to LEAVE the JETS.

I can't stop laughing at this.   Would I have preferred Adams to not act like he did?  Of course.  Yet there are people here wanting him to be traded because, Ultimately, HE WANTS TO STAY A JET...  He is an All-Pro Safety.  He is the heart of the defense that has been a surprise this year with all the injuries and lack of a real edge rusher.  A defense that instantly becomes better with a healthy Mosley and Williamson. 

I was pissed at him too when it went down but looking at it from the simple fact that an All-Pro player doesn't want to leave the team I love.  I can forgive those actions.  Cause he does nothing to disrupt the team on the field like others on different teams

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

The team is broken. They’re not winning until the oline is fixed and more pieces are added. Should they keep Adams then let him walk next year and get nothing or trade him and get a first plus?

We need Adams. We resign him to the highest paid safety. It’s that simple. Team is broken cuz we don’t have enough good playmakers on either side. Trading him away just creates a certain hole in the defense while getting back an uncertain pick or two. Yeah he’s a big mouth but who cares if he’s also doing the talking with his play? It’s not like we are low on draft picks. Draft 2-3 OLs on day 1 and day 2 and maybe pickup a stop-gap starter from the FA. It’s not rocket science. You still have ammo for a top WR and 1-2 starting CBS. We have 4 picks from the first 75 picks and a good amount of salary cap space. Trick is to hit on a draft pick or two for a change and then keep them long term...as always. 

• Upvote 1

This is the quintessential JN thread -- should be pinned as the gold standard of dellusional Jets fans. 

Q: Why on earth would you want to trade one our marquee Defensive franchise players?

JN: Cause it's a low impact position, he's a loud mouth, and frankly he doesn't do much in coverage. 1 dimensional player.

Q: Right, so who's trading for Jamal?

JN: oh well, everyone will want a piece of this. The suitors will be lined up; maybe even top 15 pick! Who doesn't want the best safety in the league, who's a leader and gets the job on the field. 

Q: This is the same guy?

JN: Yea, what do you mean? 

PGRT1287.thumb.JPG.3f97c4140e3fe3ad02d6591a7137398a.JPG

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Not implying causation, just something to consider when you have a salary cap.  Who are you calling the other 3 SSs?  Because if you’re including Kenny Viccaro of TEN, I have no issue with Jamal Adams at 6M per.  Think we can keep him for that?  Considering he’s making over 5 now?

Gotcha. I honestly didn't do a deep dive into the underlying argument of the original poster, just took him at face value of the other highest paid SS in the league but definitely agree that well-constructed teams should dedicate salary cap percentages according to positional values (QB, Edge more; RB, SS less). OTOH, there are exceptions to the rules and I don't think anyone would argue that the Jets are currently a well constructed team. I think that's the crux of the pro vs anti-Jamal sentiment...is he worth being an exception (whether due to his own abilities or just the fact that the Jets have no one else to spend the cap on for the next couple of years anyway)? 

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Double post. 

Edited by JetFreak89

52 minutes ago, Dcat said:

He's the best player on the D and very instrumental in the defense success this season. 

Sure let's trade our best defensive player for "what if" draft picks while we throw $8-$9 million dollars at a retired bum center. 

STOP THE HATE. 

And be sure to buttfumble this post like all my others. 

PUT ME ON IGNORE THANKS 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

While we're at it let's trade Darnold, Mosely, Herndon, Q and the rest!  Let's not re-sign Jenkins, Maye or Robby!  We'll have tons of cap space and oodles of draft picks to rebuild this team.  AGAIN!  And then we can take all of the new players and trade them next year and start all over.  AGAIN!

Yeesh!  The trade-niks live and die in the offseason and celebrate the Jets Super Bowl the last week in April every year.  The reality is Douglas will have enough picks and cap space to fill in the gaps to make this team a playoff contender next year IF he knows how to draft and evaluate talent.  If not, he can have all of the draft picks and it won't make a bit of difference.  The defense is two players away from being solid.  Adams, Maye, Poole and a FA CB will make the secondary elite.  The DL and ILB will be a strength for this team for several years.  Need to add a pass rusher in free agency.   There are several to be had.  The offense needs two OL draft picks (rounds 1 and 3) and two OL free agents from solidifying and a WR (round 2).

Seven wins in a season full of freak injuries and everyone wants to start all over again.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Paradis said:

This is the quintessential JN thread -- should be pinned as the gold standard of dellusional Jets fans. 

Q: Why on earth would you want to trade one our marquee Defensive franchise players?

JN: Cause it's a low impact position, he's a loud mouth, and frankly he doesn't do much in coverage. 1 dimensional player.

JN: oh well, everyone will want a piece of this. The suitors will be lined up; maybe even top 15 pick! Who doesn't want the best safety in the league, who's a leader and gets the job on the field. 

Well done.

I’m all for locking Adams up long term. But if a team offers us a 1st & a 2nd or even a 1st & a 3rd...I’m taking it, and that’s no slight to Jamal.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, lounap23 said:

Here is the funny part of the stupidity of those that want Adams traded is this..

They are mad at Adams for the way he acted at the trade deadline. God forbid a young player shows emotions and maybe a lot of immaturity because he was mad as hell that he might be traded... LOL.....   I know that last sentence might be hard for a lot of people to understand so let me re-phrase and explain it.  Jamaal Adams was mad and acted in a way he shouldn't have becasue he DID NOT want to LEAVE the JETS.

I can't stop laughing at this.   Would I have preferred Adams to not act like he did?  Of course.  Yet there are people here wanting him to be traded because, Ultimately, HE WANTS TO STAY A JET...  He is an All-Pro Safety.  He is the heart of the defense that has been a surprise this year with all the injuries and lack of a real edge rusher.  A defense that instantly becomes better with a healthy Mosley and Williamson. 

I was pissed at him too when it went down but looking at it from the simple fact that an All-Pro player doesn't want to leave the team I love.  I can forgive those actions.  Cause he does nothing to disrupt the team on the field like others on different teams

It has zero to do with how he acted during trade talks or any other time and 100% to do with what this team needs to do to win in the playoffs. 
SS < good oline 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Adams is from Texas right ?

it just feels like the cowboys. I think they both want it 

32 minutes ago, CurtMart said:

We need Adams. We resign him to the highest paid safety. It’s that simple. Team is broken cuz we don’t have enough good playmakers on either side. Trading him away just creates a certain hole in the defense while getting back an uncertain pick or two. Yeah he’s a big mouth but who cares if he’s also doing the talking with his play? It’s not like we are low on draft picks. Draft 2-3 OLs on day 1 and day 2 and maybe pickup a stop-gap starter from the FA. It’s not rocket science. You still have ammo for a top WR and 1-2 starting CBS. We have 4 picks from the first 75 picks and a good amount of salary cap space. Trick is to hit on a draft pick or two for a change and then keep them long term...as always. 

He’s talking has nothing to do with it. 

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

trey adams stayed in school because of the injury and he still might be a 2nd rder because of the injury history 

prediction he is the 4th OT drafted at best (could be like 6th or 7th, depending on combine medicals) 

And that is fine....We will have a choice of probably Austin Jackson, Alex Leatherwood, Tristin Wirfs as well where we are drafting.  Don't like Adams?  Sub in one of the others. 

9 minutes ago, Larz said:

Adams is from Texas right ?

it just feels like the cowboys. I think they both want it 

Dallas cannot afford Jamal Adams they balked at JD before the trade deadline and I don't think JD trades him now that he had one of the best seasons as a NY Jet. 

1 hour ago, JetFreak89 said:

Gotcha. I honestly didn't do a deep dive into the underlying argument of the original poster, just took him at face value of the other highest paid SS in the league but definitely agree that well-constructed teams should dedicate salary cap percentages according to positional values (QB, Edge more; RB, SS less). OTOH, there are exceptions to the rules and I don't think anyone would argue that the Jets are currently a well constructed team. I think that's the crux of the pro vs anti-Jamal sentiment...is he worth being an exception (whether due to his own abilities or just the fact that the Jets have no one else to spend the cap on for the next couple of years anyway)? 

Well stated.  My answer is no, he is not worth being an exception.  Because, his presence hasn’t stopped the defense from struggling mightily against the pass, and hasn’t turned the team into a competitor.  I get that it takes more than him, but that’s kind of exactly my point.

We aren’t as far from a potential Sam Darnold extension as people think, so I wouldn’t treat this as insignificant.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Who that wants to trade him, and speaks about positional value, thinks there will be a huge market for him?

I think the Cowboys may make a stupid decision because JJ is 77 and that’s gotta be a big win-now motivator.

4 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Draft pick LUST at it's worst.  Adams is a stud and makes the entire defense better.  Much better.  The Jets are ranked 7th in YPG allowed and this crowd wants to trade the only all-star they have.  Adams and Maye are covering up for corners who belong in the XFL and are 15th in the league in passing yards allowed per game. Amazing.  The same lusters want us to cut ties with Marcus Maye, Jordan Jenkins and Q.  Just amazing.

Agree 100%. Adam's is a potential ring of honor guy. Would be idiotic to gamble him away for a draft pick that could bust.

Sign Cooper or Scherff and draft well and we're on our way.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

It has zero to do with how he acted during trade talks or any other time and 100% to do with what this team needs to do to win in the playoffs. 
SS < good oline 

totally disagree with this perspective.  We have 8 draft picks in a deep OL draft and Free Agency money to spend.   To trade Jamaal to fix the Oline then creates an unnecessary hole on D.

If Joe D can't fix the Oline with the picks and the money trading Jamaal won't help that

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

I’m all for locking Adams up long term. But if a team offers us a 1st & a 2nd or even a 1st & a 3rd...I’m taking it, and that’s no slight to Jamal.

and then use one of those draft picks to try and replace Jamaal... Genius.  I can see the argument for trading Bell for a pick and using a variety of backs to get the production from the RB spot without having to draft one.  Not that I would do that but trading Adams creates another hole that needs to be filled and the odds of it being another ALL-Pro is very very small.  So unless the trade is for at least 3 HIGH picks it's not a discussion.  And IMO shouldn't be a discussion at all ever.

5 minutes ago, lounap23 said:

and then use one of those draft picks to try and replace Jamaal... Genius.  I can see the argument for trading Bell for a pick and using a variety of backs to get the production from the RB spot without having to draft one.  Not that I would do that but trading Adams creates another hole that needs to be filled and the odds of it being another ALL-Pro is very very small.  So unless the trade is for at least 3 HIGH picks it's not a discussion.  And IMO shouldn't be a discussion at all ever.

3 high picks for a SS?? That’s never going to happen. A first and third is probably in the area and his contract is going to be up soon. 

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

3 high picks for a SS?? That’s never going to happen. A first and third is probably in the area and his contract is going to be up soon. 

That was my point.   2 picks isn't worth it and 3 isn't happening but that's the only way it should.