Brandon Marshall Calls out Revis+Sheldon

SR24

On 12/23/2019 at 11:08 AM, kdels62 said:

But you’re wrong... he should’ve made a pro bowl his rookie year and was a pro bowler before Rex got here. He sucked for 2 games in Tampa Bay before becoming Revis again. He was excellent in New England and really good his first year here. 

He dropped off because he got lazy but he was the best to ever do it for 2 years. Outside of that he was a top 3 CB every year until 2014. 

No, Revis was not deserving of probowl honors as a rookie - not while QBs cumulatively had nearly a 90 passer rating throwing at him that season. He had some serious issues defending crossing routes in 2007, which QBs seemed to complete with relatively ease when they needed to move the sticks that year. One of our ex-posters used to obnoxiously remind us of it at every opportunity, but in '07 he wasn't wrong.

Whatever voting honors he received (or didn't) from 2007-2008, Revis played on a uniquely different level in 2009. They weren't similar performances. In 2008 he was excellent; in 2009 he was the best ever, even if it was a level he never again reached for a full season. In fairness, though, no one else has either. 

He wasn't "Revis again" that whole season in Tampa, not just the first 2 games, and that's exactly why his top FA offer was such a steep pay cut from $16MM to $12MM when he signed with NE.

Until 2016 - when he was just awful - he had just 2 meh seasons: 2007 & 2013. Odd that you'd isolate those two as ones to herald his play as being great. 

• Upvote 2

On 12/25/2019 at 1:04 AM, carlito1171 said:

Oh brother....

What about Fitz making that boneheaded throw to Decker that was picked off when we were down 2 in FG Range

Fitz threw 3 ints in the 4th qtr of that Bills week 17 game, including a pick un the endzone that was completely covered.

I was totally disgusted. I never seen a 4th qtr meltdown like that with playoffs on the line.

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No, Revis was not deserving of probowl honors as a rookie - not while QBs cumulatively had nearly a 90 passer rating throwing at him that season. He had some serious issues defending crossing routes in 2007, which QBs seemed to complete with relatively ease when they needed to move the sticks that year. One of our ex-posters used to obnoxiously remind us of it at every opportunity, but in '07 he wasn't wrong.

Whatever voting honors he received (or didn't) from 2007-2008, Revis played on a uniquely different level in 2009. They weren't similar performances. In 2008 he was excellent; in 2009 he was the best ever, even if it was a level he never again reached for a full season. In fairness, though, no one else has either. 

He wasn't "Revis again" that whole season in Tampa, not just the first 2 games, and that's exactly why his top FA offer was such a steep pay cut from $16MM to $12MM when he signed with NE.

Until 2016 - when he was just awful - he had just 2 meh seasons: 2007 & 2013. Odd that you'd isolate those two as ones to herald his play as being great. 

suffice it to say no way this chump gets into the HOF

4 hours ago, Losmeister said:

suffice it to say no way this chump gets into the HOF

I don't know about that. I think he'll get in. At his very best I still think he was the best player I ever saw, when the rules were already in place to make what he did impossible, and lots of his peers and HOF voters will feel the same way. No, he didn't have as long a career (let alone at an elite level) that would have made him a mortal lock in anyone's eyes, but I definitely think he's getting in first shot. Those HOF voters will care less than nothing about Jets fans' Revi$ sentiments; FFS not only was he voted in, but they still put that murderer Ray Lewis on TV, so Revis holdouts and threats to hold out are nothing in comparison.

Here's the eligible class for 2023

Joe Thomas, Revis, and Freeney I think are all getting in right away. 

Then the next tier - possibly one or two of them, possibly none of them ever get in - I'd put in no particular order:

• James Harrison (wasn't an "it" starter for long enough, though his career was long); 
  • Dumervil (amazing nose for sacking the QB, but was considered weak otherwise. You could say that about Freeney as well, but his career was so much longer); 
  • Bowman (tough to get in with only 5 seasons as starter; wonder what his career might have been if not for 2 major injuries, but that's what happened).
  • Forte (because it's such a stat-driven position, if he'd managed another 71 yards in 2009 and/or another 3 yards in 2011 I think he'd have a better chance. Is 1000 yards in 16 games better than 997 yards in 12 games? Of course not, but people obsess over 1000-yard rushers more than 1300+ combined yards. What ultimately harms him is he was just very good for many years but wasn't really that "wow" RB and was always just in that 2nd or 3rd tier compared to his peers year after year. He certainly wasn't as dangerous as a non-HOF back like Ahman Green (and many other non-HOFers); he just lasted longer. He's Don Sutton: very good over a long career, and once or twice was really excellent, but no one's listing him in their "If I could build any team from scratch, at RB I'd take _____" fantasy lists)
  • Lechler (yeah he was awesome for years, but he was also just a punter. Also while he was #1 in gross yardage many times he often wasn't top 10 in net yardage, out-kicking his coverage or booting lots of touchbacks instead of pinning opponents. He'd have averaged a good amount less in gross yds/punt if he'd instead have played for a top ST coach, like Westhoff, who valued high + directional punting more than always just kicking it as far as you can).

And these guys appropriately won't get in, even though each will get some knucklehead sportswriter to waste his vote to give himself a reason to write about something that makes him stand out compared to his peers: CJ2K, Hall, Chancellor, and the rest in that class.

A name from this class that sticks out for me, while he's not a HOFer, is Terence Newman. I still remember when he was drafted 5th overall (he was the pick after DRob) thinking that since he was already going to be 25 yrs old as a rookie, to me it seemed shortsighted to use a high pick on a guy who'd probably only have maybe 5-7 years as a starter before his career wore down. What's crazy is he was a starter for a solid 8 seasons after age 30. Revis had one, and it was a pretty ugly one at that. While at each one's very best there was no serious comparison, I was always amazed how a one-time 25 year-old rookie could somehow carve out a 15-year career at a speed skill position like corner. 

8 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Fitz threw 3 ints in the 4th qtr of that Bills week 17 game, including a pick un the endzone that was completely covered.

I was totally disgusted. I never seen a 4th qtr meltdown like that with playoffs on the line.

Yes a Thursday night game, that I traveled 3000 miles to see. The Devin Smith kick return fumble didn’t help either.