Question for those at the game. Are Steelers fans bad?

They weren't so bad in my section.  They were able to take a good razzing when they were behind.  They were also pretty loud, to their credit.  I've also been to Heinz Field a couple of times and found Steelers fans to be pretty kind (not as nice as Colts fans, but a far cry from dirtbag Pats fans).

Speaking just about my section, I've found the most obnoxious fans over the years to be Dolphins and Pats.  None of the others that rolled through this year (aside from being there in staggering numbers) were that bad.

• Upvote 1

The Jets are arguably the 4th most popular team in the state of New Jersey.  I'm guessing the vast majority of  Steeler fans at the game yesterday live in the tristate area or Northeastern PA.

People have been leaving Western PA for decades and bringing their Steeler fandom with them..  

The obnoxious meter went off the charts when they tied the game before halftime. A lot of chanting at the Jets and our fans. I don’t get most of the visiting fans this year.  Cheer when your team does well, make some noise, great. But I don’t recall the level of outright taunting from opposing fan bases that we’ve received this year. Strength in numbers (and booze) I guess.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

The obnoxious meter went off the charts when they tied the game before halftime. A lot of chanting at the Jets and our fans. I don’t get most of the visiting fans this year.  Cheer when your team does well, make some noise, great. But I don’t recall the level of outright taunting from opposing fan bases that we’ve received this year. Strength in numbers (and booze) I guess.

it's a good idea not to go to STEELERS games and to avoid being berated by the opposing gangs of hideous fandom

12 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

They weren't so bad in my section.  They were able to take a good razzing when they were behind.  They were also pretty loud, to their credit.  I've also been to Heinz Field a couple of times and found Steelers fans to be pretty kind (not as nice as Colts fans, but a far cry from dirtbag Pats fans).

Speaking just about my section, I've found the most obnoxious fans over the years to be Dolphins and Pats.  None of the others that rolled through this year (aside from being there in staggering numbers) were that bad.

I'd expect Raiders fans to be douches. 

• Upvote 1

For some reason there are probably more transplants from the Pittsburgh area down in Myrtle Beach then you’ll find anywhere. The most popular sports bar is a Steeler bar called Oscar’s. They line up from 10am on a Sunday morning waiting to get in. Great crowd, 70 year old guys in Palomolu wigs, boom boxes playing their fight songs (they have about 10 of them, lol)

Theyre actually pretty solid people, and man do they love the Steelers. They root hard, but they’re not a holes, there’s never any trouble in the place. I love to tease them for being front runners though, because you’ll never see them wear any Pirates gear anywhere they go.

Theres a Browns bar that also has another nice crowd, but the Raven bar is different. They are the worst. The food there is unreal though. They’ll cover your table with brown paper, then dump a couple of dozen Maryland style crabs on top, and the crab nachos are the best bar food I’ve ever had.

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

@14 in Green  any NY Jets bars down there. 

No, there was a NY themed sports bar, but it was mostly a Yankees Giants crowd. It was kind of a dump, and it closed a few years ago I’ve heard there’s one in Wilmington, but that’s about 50 miles away.

There are a ton of bars and restaurants in the area though, and most places have a mix of fans from all over, but areas like Ny Nj, Penn, and Ohio dominate.

17 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

@14 in Green  any NY Jets bars down there. 

Here’s a weird thing I forgot to mention. You’d think the Panthers would be really popular with the locals, but they’re really not. Maybe up in the Charlotte area, but not down on the Strand.

Most of them are Redskin fans and have been for generations. It goes back to before expansion when the Skins were the most southern based team.

They actually have a huge fan base through Va, NC,SC, and I’d imagine Ga and Miss also, though I’m not familiar with those areas.

Just now, 14 in Green said:

Here’s a weird thing I forgot to mention. You’d think the Panthers would be really popular with the locals, but they’re really not. Maybe up in the Charlotte area, but not down on the Strand.

Most of them are Redskin fans for generations. It goes back to before expansion when the Skins were the most southern based team.

They actually have a huge fan base through Va, NC,SC, and I’d imagine Ga and Miss also.

SC is really a mixed bag of creatures. Many are transplants. My anti-social hate everything neighbors recently re-located down there. 

No offense. 

11 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

SC is really a mixed bag of creatures. Many are transplants. My anti-social hate everything neighbors recently re-located down there. 

No offense. 

Tell you what, if you ever move down to the area, you’ll be blown away by how friendly everyone is. Coming from a NY or NJ, it will shock you.

I think there are two reasons.

Like we said there are a lot of transplants, and when you move into a new development like I did, it’s sort of like arriving for your freshman year of college. You don’t know anyone, but neither does anyone else, so everyone wants to make friends.

The other is Southern folk really are a lot more laid back then we are. As long as you don’t come down with a “Yankee attitude” they’re as nice as can be.

The one thing you never want to hear though is one of them tell you “bless your heart”. They say it with a smile, but it’s their way of telling you to f**k off.

12 hours ago, y2k8 said:

The Jets are arguably the 4th most popular team in the state of New Jersey.  I'm guessing the vast majority of  Steeler fans at the game yesterday live in the tristate area or Northeastern PA.

People have been leaving Western PA for decades and bringing their Steeler fandom with them..  

Imagine deciding to leave western PA and have the whole country to choose from and you go and pick NJ

9 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

Imagine deciding to leave western PA and have the whole country to choose from and you go and pick NJ

Have you ever been to Western PA or anywhere in PA?  A good portion of PA is rural.  N.J is 100x better. My wife is from a small town in PA they roll up the streets at 9pm you have to drive 20 miles for a convenience store. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Have you ever been to Western PA or anywhere in PA?  N.J is 100x better. My wife is from a small town in PA they roll up the streets at 9pm you have to drive 20 miles for a convenience store. 

I live in Manhattan why would I go to western pa?  :-)

jk. Been to Pittsburg but not in a while.  My cousins grew up there and moved back to raise family.  They love it. 

They are pretty obnoxious usually but yesterday they weren’t as bad.  They also weren’t playing very well yesterday.  

The towels are very annoying to be quite honest.  

Dolphins fans are the worst.   I’m still beside myself that the Jets sell their NYC fan club that prides themselves in taunting Jets fans 1,000 tickets.  

On 12/23/2019 at 10:05 AM, SummerofSam14 said:

They looked pretty dumb & annoying on TV. A combination of Pennsyltucky/West Virginia rednecks and folks from NY/NJ/PA metro that want to pretend they had an affiliation with the Steelers teams of the 70s. 

Most steeler fans are bandwagon hoppers who are not from PA

11 hours ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

They are pretty obnoxious usually but yesterday they weren’t as bad.  They also weren’t playing very well yesterday.  

The towels are very annoying to be quite honest.  

Dolphins fans are the worst.   I’m still beside myself that the Jets sell their NYC fan club that prides themselves in taunting Jets fans 1,000 tickets.  

Dolphins fans are bad which is weird considering they all live in the NY area

Why do people always talk about fans traveling well or being transplants when clearly they're just a fanbase that has a lot of bandwagon fans?

The Giants and Jets both sucked in the 70s so there's a generation of fans from the tri-state area that root for the teams that were good that decade -- Steelers, Cowboys, Dolphins, and Raiders.

14 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

They actually have a huge fan base through Va, NC,SC, and I’d imagine Ga and Miss also, though I’m not familiar with those areas.

Big no.

never seen a Skins fan here and I lived here all my life.

Mississippi is ALL Saints country. You’d think this was Louisiana with how many people are Saint fans. People absolutely adore that team in MS. Basically our state’s team with them being right next to us.