Realistically speaking....do the Jets bring back Leveon Bell next season?

17 minutes ago, BCJet said:

There is no reason to trade Bell and if Gase does force it, the result will be him alienating the team just like he did in Miami.  Bell plays hard, practices hard and hasn't complained.  By all accounts, hes an excellent teammate who is being criminally underused.  Shipping him off because Gase "doesnt value RBs" would be a big mistake.  

Gase is a my way or the highway tool

The most dangerous thing about the jets “good” end to the season is now Gase will do stupid sh t like get rid of Bell and Greg Williams and not resign Robby Anderson because he thinks he’s got capital

12 hours ago, Joe the Breadman said:

A lot of pros and cons to this guy....what becomes of Bell next year?

It would be foolish not to bring him back.

He’ll never get 20+ carries in Gase’s Mike Martz Offense but he can be our Marshall Faulk with 15+ touches per game. He’s also great at making blitz pick ups which will help keep Sam healthy. Finally, he is a great teammate and precisely the type of player you need to help change the culture.

Other than his pay, what are the cons?

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Jets723 said:

Gase doesn’t want him.  Having a better OL would help but at the same time Bell doesn’t look as explosive this year.  We aren’t gonna get much for him because of his cap hit.  Maybe a 4th?   I would rather just keep him and improve the oline 

Bell is still a good receiver out of the backfield 

if I’m the jets I keep Bell and trade for David Johnson, go with a lot of two back sets so the defense doesn’t know who the receiver out of the backfield is

10 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

How about gase actually design a running play that isn't up the gut for bell? Maybe the offensive genius can put that large brain to work for a change.

I’ve thought about this s lot. I seem to remember that his Fins teams had outside running plays. Is it possible that the O line is so bad at sealing off the penetration from DE/OLB in practice that they just removed the plays from the playbook? After all, Gase and the Jets make a very big deal out of how badly it affects the O to get behind schedule, and an outside run has a far greater risk of losing yards or having a holding penalty than an inside run.

I’m with Bart Scott, bring in Bill Callahan as O line coach and run game coordinator. It provides strength where Gase is weak, and if Gase is not self aware enough to recognize that he can never be a great HC.

2 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I’ve thought about this s lot. I seem to remember that his Fins teams had outside running plays. Is it possible that the O line is so bad at sealing off the penetration from DE/OLB in practice that they just removed the plays from the playbook? After all, Gase and the Jets make a very big deal out of how badly it affects the O to get behind schedule, and an outside run has a far greater risk of losing yards or having a holding penalty than an inside run.

I’m with Bart Scott, bring in Bill Callahan as O line coach and run game coordinator. It provides strength where Gase is weak, and if Gase is not self aware enough to recognize that he can never be a great HC.

I think you're right on the line being able to seal the edges but I also think the lack of a competent TE has hurt the ability to set up outside runs.

Bringing in Callahan would be a dream scenario, the problem is that Gase can't risk brining in someone who could expose him and Callahan would be that guy.  If things falter early in 2020, you can easily fire Gase, promote GW and make Callahan the OC.  Gase likely wants Dowell "Yes Man" Loggins as the only offensive coach in the room.

The irony is that if Gase actually had some humility, brought in Callahan and actually listened to him the team would be more successful and in turn Gase would appear to be a better coach.  

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

I think you're right on the line being able to seal the edges but I also think the lack of a competent TE has hurt the ability to set up outside runs.

Bringing in Callahan would be a dream scenario, the problem is that Gase can't risk brining in someone who could expose him and Callahan would be that guy.  If things falter early in 2020, you can easily fire Gase, promote GW and make Callahan the OC.  Gase likely wants Dowell "Yes Man" Loggins as the only offensive coach in the room.

The irony is that if Gase actually had some humility, brought in Callahan and actually listened to him the team would be more successful and in turn Gase would appear to be a better coach.  

I am hopeful Gase is not as arrogant as you believe and would welcome the input of an older more experienced coach whose strengths mirror Gase’s weakness. Only time will tell but i do believe that he will ultimately fail if he is, and remains, closed minded.

16 hours ago, slats said:

Joe Douglas is listening to offers for everyone not named Sam Darnold. 

If teams wanted him at the price we signed him for, I d think we would have had to pay more to sign him.  He didnt give us a hometown discount.   On top of that, he hasnt had a great season though we know the O line is an issue.  So why would somebody trade draft picks or players to get an expensive older running back that they could have signed last year without giving up picks?

If I was a betting man, my money would be on him staying at least one more year.  After that, if they dont think he is worth it, they can renegotiate or cut him outright without massive impact on the salary cap.

What does 'bring back' mean? He is under contract. The Jets will not cut a player like Bell, leaving a hole at RB, and take on a ton of dead $$$. You have to assume a trade. And what team will take on his salary? Maybe the Jets find a trade partner but then odds are they will get peanuts for him. At that point you have to think why are you trading him for peanuts? He can still play. He is a proven, versatile RB who you have to assume will be a lot more productive if he is used properly and has a better O-line. IMO.

Not only that but AFTER 2020 you can pretty much cut him loose without taking much of a cap hit (4 mil I think).

So, to me, you focus on fixing the O-line and adding WR help for Darnold this offseason and see how Bell does with better WRs, O-line and Herndon/Griffin back healthy.

I have said this about Jamal Adams as well, but its not necessary to trade away your top talent to rebuild positions of need. The Jets will have plenty of cap space to address their needs. Trading Adams only makes sense if JD has already made up his mind about not resigning him. Trading Bell makes zero sense, but if they were its only b/c they feel he has zero fit on the offense and that's simply not true. 

46 minutes ago, PepPep said:

What does 'bring back' mean? He is under contract. The Jets will not cut a player like Bell, leaving a hole at RB, and take on a ton of dead $$$. You have to assume a trade. And what team will take on his salary? Maybe the Jets find a trade partner but then odds are they will get peanuts for him. At that point you have to think why are you trading him for peanuts? He can still play. He is a proven, versatile RB who you have to assume will be a lot more productive if he is used properly and has a better O-line. IMO.

Not only that but AFTER 2020 you can pretty much cut him loose without taking much of a cap hit (4 mil I think).

So, to me, you focus on fixing the O-line and adding WR help for Darnold this offseason and see how Bell does with better WRs, O-line and Herndon/Griffin back healthy.

I have said this about Jamal Adams as well, but its not necessary to trade away your top talent to rebuild positions of need. The Jets will have plenty of cap space to address their needs. Trading Adams only makes sense if JD has already made up his mind about not resigning him. Trading Bell makes zero sense, but if they were its only b/c they feel he has zero fit on the offense and that's simply not true. 

What he said!

Bell is like a fullback.  Every team seems to have a really fast break away runner type of RB.  There are a lot of them on other teams, I forgot their names. Why can't we ever get one of those really fast rb's that can take it the distance potentially? It's not just our OL isn't opening holes. The last breakaway runner we had who hits the hole fast is Leon Washington.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I am hopeful Gase is not as arrogant as you believe and would welcome the input of an older more experienced coach whose strengths mirror Gase’s weakness. Only time will tell but i do believe that he will ultimately fail if he is, and remains, closed minded.

To me, Gase seems to be coming around to devising different schemes for Bell. In the 3 games or so, he’s actually  calling running plays with a quasi-fullback look. Now there’s no fullback on the roster so the TE’s are being asked to do the heavy lifting ( like Wesco)

Too bad that our TE’s just aren’t good at blocking.

Bell is primarily a between the tackles runner. has always been a between the tackles runner.

Good shiftiness in making guy#1 miss. 

Cant really bounce it outside much at all. 

YOu can do a power sweep but we aint got the OL for it.

All his longest runs gets caught from behind.

The step hes lost limits him as a receiver... doesnt get the yard seperation he useta.

And whatever he's done on screens is something any midlevel NFL Rb can do.

see below

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

I could see a team like the Chiefs bringing him in for a 2nd/3rd and including a player like Damien Williams,  who would be a great fit in this offense. 

On 12/23/2019 at 8:34 PM, CrazyCarl40 said:

If Gase wants him gone, he’ll be gone. That’s the way he operates. I don’t think it’s a smart move to let him go this season, but Gase gonna Gase. 

Gase didn't want him in the first place.  Yet he's here.  So I'm gonna go ahead and assume its up to management.  And it doesn't make any sense to ignore his contract and cap hit.  

He has a 3.3 average per carry with a high of 19 yards. He basically hasn’t had big runs. His receiving is well under his career totals. He’s 61-425 with a top reception of 23. He’s been ok but he’s being stopped and not impact. He didn’t play at all in 2018. And he’s not on a good team the oline is makeshift. I’d keep him because I think he’s better than this.

11 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

He has a 3.3 average per carry with a high of 19 yards. He basically hasn’t had big runs. His receiving is well under his career totals. He’s 61-425 with a top reception of 23. He’s been ok but he’s being stopped and not impact. He didn’t play at all in 2018. And he’s not on a good team the oline is makeshift. I’d keep him because I think he’s better than this.

Gase’s playcalling has been extremely predictable.  

7 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Gase didn't want him in the first place.  Yet he's here.  So I'm gonna go ahead and assume its up to management.  And it doesn't make any sense to ignore his contract and cap hit.  

The management that wanted him is gone. The management that is here is a friend of Gase. Just so you’re up to speed. 

21 hours ago, Beaver said:

I think his contract is an issue to trade and no one is giving up more than a fourth round pick for him.   At that value I would rather keep him as he seems to be leader of the offense in the locker room.  

Getting a 4th round pick and shedding Bells contract would be a good deal. 

On 12/24/2019 at 2:21 AM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

The first play of the Steelers game was about the only play Gase used him correctly

Its a shame. I really thought the addition of bell and Montgomery would let us see an offense with RBs lined up outside, creating a mismatch for either them or a wr with a lb on them. I know our OL limits some of that creativity. 

We'll see what happens in the offseason but the way he was used this year, i think he's a goner.

1 hour ago, CurtMart said:

No one is trading for Bell. And we certainly can’t cut him. His 2020 salary is fully guaranteed. Be prepared to see see Bell next year and get a 1200 yard season with 12+ TDs and 70 receptions. 

I dont want us to throw to him THAT much...   he's not really THAT productive that way.

but I can see him running quite a bit...   and doing well behind a comptenet OL

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

I dont want us to throw to him THAT much...   he's not really THAT productive that way.

but I can see him running quite a bit...   and doing well behind a comptenet OL

70 receptions might be an understatement. He’s capable of 100 receptions and did 80+ in the two seasons he played 15 or 16 games. He has 61 this season in the 14 games he has played. Hopefully our sh*tface HC can utilize Bell a little better than he has ever utilized a good RB. 

• Upvote 1