Jump to content

These Backers not Back-Ups


Vader

Recommended Posts

Neville Hewitt  is a liability on every pass play 

every week he is getting burned by tight ends and receivers in the middle of the field .

he also take bad angles which lead to easy and long passes 

 

 James Burgess is a much better player , but i think he is being put in a much better position then Hewitt.

 

Greg Williams is asking Hewitt to do things he is just not capable doing.

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fusionCA said:

Neville Hewitt  is a liability on every pass play 

every week he is getting burned by tight ends and receivers in the middle of the field .

he also take bad angles which lead to easy and long passes 

 

 James Burgess is a much better player , but i think he is being put in a much better position then Hewitt.

 

Greg Williams is asking Hewitt to do things he is just not capable doing.

 

that’s funny. the same Neville Hewitt playing above his grade deserves his negs pointed out when this year he’s put up 3 sacks, 4 PD, 2 Interceptions in less games than usual?

Most ILBs in the NFL are a mismatch and get beat against TEs and definitely against WRs.

  • Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fusionCA said:

Neville Hewitt  is a liability on every pass play 

every week he is getting burned by tight ends and receivers in the middle of the field .

he also take bad angles which lead to easy and long passes 

 

  James Burgess is a much better player , but i think he is being put in a much better position then Hewitt.

 

 Greg Williams is asking Hewitt to do things he is just not capable doing.

  

Yeah, it's what happens when you lose Williamson, then Mosley, then Cashman. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yeah, it's what happens when you lose Williamson, then Mosley, then Cashman. 

He was asked to do it in game 2 of the season and was burned for a 90 yard TD by obj because he took the wrong angle .

He is good playing the run and bad playing the pass 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, fusionCA said:

Neville Hewitt  is a liability on every pass play 

every week he is getting burned by tight ends and receivers in the middle of the field .

he also take bad angles which lead to easy and long passes 

 

 James Burgess is a much better player , but i think he is being put in a much better position then Hewitt.

 

Greg Williams is asking Hewitt to do things he is just not capable doing.

 

LOL We have to have hewitt cover Slot guys and Wrs because we blitx adams on tons of plays.

No ilb can cover a wr or slot guy or ever a back or Te for more than a second or two.

What hewitt and burgess and like show is just what many of us have said, ilb, non premium position, just like DT.  We get good performance pout of lesser guys in these two spots and it is easy to replace guys here.

Our previous GM so so so bad.

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Vader said:

Big grab getting Mosely in here on the varsity contract. When he went down and without Avery Williamson, things went way out of whack. As the season has progressed though, down BOTH starting ILBs, we’ve seen some big time play from guys that have been nothing more than JV guys.

I swear Neville Hewitt and James Burgess are everywhere, making plays to the sideline in a defense that’s #2 against the run. With a rookie, two vets and no names on DL. Brandon Copeland has been solid, as has Basham.

This is in the run D and the pass D.

Credit Gregg Williams and CS for developing these guys? Or has Mosely been integral to their development? I would love to know.

Ideally, you build a team around these JV guys punching above their weight at ILB. And you don’t want to keep seeing the Demario Davis epidemic that keeps recurring decade after decade at LB with this team where we have a blue chip only to give up on them, and either Pittsburgh, NOLA or another team scooping up a player’s All-Pro years.

Not saying Neville Hewitt is the next James Farrior, but still. 

Needs to be said that these dudes have shown up and been relentless. They’ve brought passion, technique and big plays to the position that was maybe the most decimated given Mosely’s role not just as a ILB but on the D as a whole.

This is a good problem to have, but the exceeded expectations need attention called to them. #2 Run D. Big plays being made in the passing game. 

Seriously. Not bad, JV team.  These backers are not backups.

I am so impressed with Burgess. I am happy with Hewitt in that he is being asked to do so much and he has stepped up more and more. But he isn't more than depth on a really good team imo. His pass coverage leaves a lot to be desired.

Burgess is a guy that could be a valuable backup next year. Right price, would really shine in a lower role. No depth no depth no depth, that's the problem this year. Developing some guys like Burgess is a big plus.

 

 

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Vader said:

Big grab getting Mosely in here on the varsity contract. When he went down and without Avery Williamson, things went way out of whack. As the season has progressed though, down BOTH starting ILBs, we’ve seen some big time play from guys that have been nothing more than JV guys.

I swear Neville Hewitt and James Burgess are everywhere, making plays to the sideline in a defense that’s #2 against the run. With a rookie, two vets and no names on DL. Brandon Copeland has been solid, as has Basham.

This is in the run D and the pass D.

Credit Gregg Williams and CS for developing these guys? Or has Mosely been integral to their development? I would love to know.

Ideally, you build a team around these JV guys punching above their weight at ILB. And you don’t want to keep seeing the Demario Davis epidemic that keeps recurring decade after decade at LB with this team where we have a blue chip only to give up on them, and either Pittsburgh, NOLA or another team scooping up a player’s All-Pro years.

Not saying Neville Hewitt is the next James Farrior, but still. 

Needs to be said that these dudes have shown up and been relentless. They’ve brought passion, technique and big plays to the position that was maybe the most decimated given Mosely’s role not just as a ILB but on the D as a whole.

This is a good problem to have, but the exceeded expectations need attention called to them. #2 Run D. Big plays being made in the passing game. 

Seriously. Not bad, JV team.  These backers are not backups.

Good coaching makes player play better. 

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s unbelievable that the positions Mike McCagnan would invest cap space and draft capital in (DL and ILB) were the two position the organization can seem to actually Identify and develop unheralded guys into starters. What an absolute waste CJ Mosley at 17MM per is when Burgess is 90 percent the player at 0.5% of the cost.

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Vader said:

Big grab getting Mosely in here on the varsity contract. When he went down and without Avery Williamson, things went way out of whack. As the season has progressed though, down BOTH starting ILBs, we’ve seen some big time play from guys that have been nothing more than JV guys.

I swear Neville Hewitt and James Burgess are everywhere, making plays to the sideline in a defense that’s #2 against the run. With a rookie, two vets and no names on DL. Brandon Copeland has been solid, as has Basham.

This is in the run D and the pass D.

Credit Gregg Williams and CS for developing these guys? Or has Mosely been integral to their development? I would love to know.

Ideally, you build a team around these JV guys punching above their weight at ILB. And you don’t want to keep seeing the Demario Davis epidemic that keeps recurring decade after decade at LB with this team where we have a blue chip only to give up on them, and either Pittsburgh, NOLA or another team scooping up a player’s All-Pro years.

Not saying Neville Hewitt is the next James Farrior, but still. 

Needs to be said that these dudes have shown up and been relentless. They’ve brought passion, technique and big plays to the position that was maybe the most decimated given Mosely’s role not just as a ILB but on the D as a whole.

This is a good problem to have, but the exceeded expectations need attention called to them. #2 Run D. Big plays being made in the passing game. 

Seriously. Not bad, JV team.  These backers are not backups.

This is pricisiely why you don’t give ILBs $80mm.  Just like you don’t draft interior DL in the first round. 

you can find productive players at those positions late in the draft or cheap in FA. 
 


 

 

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This is pricisiely why you don’t give ILBs $80mm.  Just like you don’t draft interior DL in the first round. 

you can find productive players at those positions late in the draft or cheap in FA. 
 


 

 

100%. as amazing as Mosely is, how can you justify his contract given what the JV team is doing?

And here’s another thing. Some say Hewitt is getting burned doing things he isn’t accustomed to doing. I remember the play Mosely got hurt. What was he doing that he wasn’t in the past in Baltimore? Expanded pass D responsibilities.

His body was being asked to go backwards and contort more frequently and in ways that were unusual for him. Is it any big surprise he went down with a groin?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

It’s why Avery Williamson gets cut.

Disagree. You cut Williamson, you take on dead $$$. Hewitt and Burgess are free agents and despite their prowess as tacklers and run stoppers they are both liabilities in pass coverage, especially Burgess (much more so than Williamson at least). 

You re-sign one of Hewitt or Burgess as depth while letting the other walk and go with Mosley, Williamson, Burgess/Hewitt, and Cashman as your ILBs for 2020. I think Hewitt will want more money and the Jets will end up holding on to Burgess. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...