Why have the Jets won 6 games?

NYJ1

Yup back to back 5-11 or 6-10 seasons = competent QB being the reason we win so much. Exactly how many come from behind wins has our competent, "becoming a good QB" had? How many 5 TD 350+ yard turnover free games has our "becoming a good QB" had? Fact of the matter is once we fall behind, it is always lights out. I am not a Sam hater at all, I want him to be great but he needs to toughen up BIG TIME. Use his legs, get out of the pocket and run a little and for god's sakes, stop these stupid off the back foot throws. Lamar is tough. Russell, Drew, are tough. Josh Allen, Mahommes are tough. Sorry, Sam is not in their category or even close. I want to see Sam bring us back in the 4th quarter down 1 or 2 TD's to a win in resounding fashion. Until then IMHO, he is a JAG like a Kirk Cousins who btw is the richest underachiever I have ever seen in my entire life watching NFL football.

mister-softee.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 2

22 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Yup back to back 5-11 or 6-10 seasons = competent QB being the reason we win so much. Exactly how many come from behind wins has our competent, "becoming a good QB" had? How many 5 TD 350+ yard turnover free games has our "becoming a good QB" had? Fact of the matter is once we fall behind, it is always lights out. I am not a Sam hater at all, I want him to be great but he needs to toughen up BIG TIME. Use his legs, get out of the pocket and run a little and for god's sakes, stop these stupid off the back foot throws. Lamar is tough. Russell, Drew, are tough. Josh Allen, Mahommes are tough. Sorry, Sam is not in their category or even close. I want to see Sam bring us back in the 4th quarter down 1 or 2 TD's to a win in resounding fashion. Until then IMHO, he is a JAG like a Kirk Cousins who btw is the richest underachiever I have ever seen in my entire life watching NFL football.

mister-softee.jpg

Ash, you have to give it time. He's building his craft while playing for a team that has very little talent. A team that's actually hit on very few draft picks since about 2009. Yes, it looks depressing when you're a part of it like we all feel we are. Tell us something we weren't aware of.

I'm just saying I see something that looks like a positive trend? Like something to give us reason to be optimistic. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

You know what I love about Jetnation? That I can come here every day and know what it's like to get divorced without ever actually getting divorced? Everyone pisses and moans about their favorite team and fights the other posters. They ALL know exactly what it takes to be the best HC. The Jets just have to be smart enough to hire them. Maybe, some day of the Jets win the SB they will all have that great make up sex? LOL :)

Anyway, my point is we all think we know why the Jets have managed to win 6 games now? Hopefully my reasons don't get too many people emotionally distraught.

I can point to three main factors as to why the Jets have increased their win total. We can debate how much more important one is as compared to the others, but here's mine:

1) JD is doing his job. In many ways, this season has been a very unique experience? JD never had the benefit of FA or the draft. We've had a first row seat to see how a GM can improve a team without having the most obvious avenues available to him. Ryan Kalil was obviously a terrible acquisition but I still don't regret JD making the move? There's no damage to the salary cap after this season. But since that terrible move, I've really liked his under the radar (so to speak) moves. Alex Lewis, Ryan Griffin, Demaryius Thomas, Arthur Maulet, etc., All of these guys in my opinion have a chance to compete for a job next season. Probably most of them won't be starting players, but they will all have a role to play. I look forward to seeing how much more JD can improve the back end of this roster. IMO, he's doing a nice job right now considering the situation he's been thrown into. Obviously, the DRAFT and FA are what will make or break JD and these moves he's currently making would be considered to be IRRELEVANT in comparison.

2) The defense is playing better.  Todd Bowles was supposed to be a defensive guru? The fact is, he was pretty DUMB when it comes to defense. The Jets have a lot of nice players on defense and ?was unable to get their defensive rankings anything higher than 21st? 22nd? That just doesn't represent what the Jets defense is capable of. GREG WILLIAMS came in and immediately realized they were capable of much more and he's managed to bring that out.

3) SAM DARNOLD is playing well. Despite his every now and then boneheaded play, he's really becoming a good QB. We all knew coming into this season that for the Jets to have  any success on offense Sam Darnold would need to play better. Well, I think he has. With time, hopefully, he can further hone his skills and become a franchise QB. Because it's obvious to me that the players rally around who they view as the leader of this team. They view Sam Darnold as their unquestioned leader right now. This is also a huge positve mark mark for Adam Gase. Now I know this will be viewed as controversial, but once again this is just my opinion - not to impune anyone else's opinion. But I think Adam Gase has very clearly earned an opportunity to come back next year.

Here is what I see.

If there is a coach on the Jets that has proven himself to be *very capable* it is Greg Williams.  The defense has been prepared to play every single week.  The defensive play calling has always been good and Williams has never been outmatched.  Not once.  Even against everyone's sweetheart, Lamar Jackson, the Jets defense played a good game.  Along with what we see on field, a sign of a good coach is what occurs when there is no game going on.  How is that coach working with his assistants to train and improve the players he has ??? Well... Considering how the jets DL, LB, S's and CB's have come in and markedly improved from week to week, it sure as heck shows that Williams is teaching and preparing his players like few other coaches in the league.  Consider all the injuries and new faces the Jets defense has and look how they are improving.  MAJOR credit to Williams.

What I see with Gase is a whole different story.

How many games has the Jets offense looked TOTALLY unprepared and unmotivated ??? TOO many.  The offense laid eggs against some of the worst teams in the league.  Along with disgraceful prep, the offensive game plans were horrible.  The tried to pass against teams that were known to be horrible against the run and so on.  Watching the blocking schemes of the offensive line go from zone one week to man the next tells me that Gase is fumbling in the dark.  At times Gase will use his larger brain and run the offense that is best for Darnold, IE movign the pocket, aggressive man blocking up front and play action... It bares fruit.  And then... We see a lot of Gase trying to turn Darnold into a Peyton Manning.  Square peg in round hole.  

Darnold CLEARLY shows he has elite talent.  He can and does read the entire field.  Even when he is on the move, he is reading and thinking.  He can and does thread the needle and show amazing touch to put the ball right where it needs to be.  And then, there are the head-scratching interceptions.  I put that down to what I think will be career long momentary lapses of concentration.  

Gase does not have to do much to "develop" Darnold.  Sam has *it* already. He'll get better just by playing the game and getting experience.  

What Gase has to do and fails to do is maintain a base offense that is ideal for Darnold and chisel it in stone.  Major FAIL by Gase.   Gase has a "shoe box" offense that he leans on and he refuses to discard his security blanket and make a destiny for himself and the Jets apart from what he observed being successful for another QB in another place.  IMHO, this is a FATAL quality for any coach to have.  If you are trying to pick up where you left off last time with respect to offensive or defensive design, you are going to fail year in and year out.  You need to be able to look at your staff, size them up, understand them and from this comes your vision, form and function.  That AINT Gase.

The one single thing I see that I can give Gase credit for is that there is not too many procedural penalties called on the Jets.  Obviously, he has them working on details.  

Gase gets an F for consistent weekly prep. 

Gase gets and F for player relationships

Gase gets an F for offensive design.

We are stuck with him until the uneducated among us have it put in front of them in the form of wins and losses. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

28 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

mister-softee.jpg

Yeah a crappy head coach and bad roster have nothing to do with it - everything is Sam Darnold’s fault

2DBAA28A-1295-49F3-9A41-05B1650B7DF6.jpeg.fb553f02b6ea516679a2315683cda834.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Easy schedule and Sam is good

Yes. I would be remissed if I didn't mention that the Jets have had a rather beneficial schedule for a team trying to rebuild. That's not to take anything away from what I already mentioned. I see reason for optimism.

4 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

So you think Ryan Griffin was a poor acquisition? Alex Lewis? Those two have played a major role in the Jets wins in 2019.

Griffin was a good pick up Lewis blah but he was needed. Douglas also has misses which every GM will. I’m hoping he has a good draft and FA next year. If the Johnson weren’t mentally disabled they would of hired him before Mac pissed away 100 million dollars and drafted another DL. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

50 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

mister-softee.jpg

That's also incorrect. The Jets did not go 5-11 or 6-10 last season. The Jets were 4-12. Adam Gase has managed to win one and a half times the amount the Jets won last season. 50% more wins in a schedule comprising only 16 is actually a decent improvement.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Griffin was a good pick up Lewis blah but he was needed. Douglas also has misses which every GM will. I’m hoping he has a good draft and FA next year. If the Johnson weren’t mentally disabled they would of hired him before Mac pissed away 100 million dollars and drafted another DL. 

So to correctly characterize what you're saying....

You DO think JD has done a good job considering what little he could do coming in at such a bad time. Your real culprit is OWNERSHIP. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, NYJ1 said:

So to correctly characterize what you're saying....

You DO think JD has done a good job considering what little he could do coming in at such a bad time. Your real culprit is OWNERSHIP. 

I have no issue with Douglas he has had good and bad moves. That’s going to happen with every GM. And yes the owners are D bags 

I don’t understand this thread at all. Is 6 wins supposed to be good?

The Jets lost to Miami, Jacksonville, and Cincinnati this year. Those teams are 10-35 and 3-1 against the Jets (should be 4-0 if not for the refs). 

The Jets are one of the worst teams in the NFL the and statistically the worst coach and QB combination in the NFL.  There should absolutely be no optimism until Adam Gase is fired next year.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Greg Williams stock shot up 300%. What he has done with all those 5-7th string players speaks volumes. He has handled the adversity. I have no idea what the future holds but with a 70% healthy defense next year at worse we can be scary.
I think Sam is our franchise QB we just need him to stay healthy and get a OL and who knows where this can lead as far as wins.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Yup back to back 5-11 or 6-10 seasons = competent QB being the reason we win so much. 

in the recent games the 11td and only 2 int is good. that has helped a ton. But yeah, he leaves a bunch of chunk plays on the field every game. doesnt make plays with his feet.

8 hours ago, SummerofSam14 said:

I don’t understand this thread at all. Is 6 wins supposed to be good?

The Jets lost to Miami, Jacksonville, and Cincinnati this year. Those teams are 10-35 and 3-1 against the Jets (should be 4-0 if not for the refs). 

The Jets are one of the worst teams in the NFL the and statistically the worst coach and QB combination in the NFL.  There should absolutely be no optimism until Adam Gase is fired next year.

No. Stop acting like you are on some sort of high road? The Jets winning six games in a season so filled with injuries and very little talent is a marked improvement. It's reason for optimism moving forward. That's it.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

1) We've had an incredibly easy schedule with historically low levels of travel.

2) Gregg Williams has done a great job getting respectable defense out a bunch of nobodies.

3) Darnold has played well ENOUGH against bad defenses.

My only major concern on Darnold is a lack of second half play.  1st half he is lights out but 2nd half we struggle. Not sure if it’s Darnold, coaching adjustments but would love to see more in quarters 3 and 4.   

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

You know what I love about Jetnation? That I can come here every day and know what it's like to get divorced without ever actually getting divorced? Everyone pisses and moans about their favorite team and fights the other posters. They ALL know exactly what it takes to be the best HC. The Jets just have to be smart enough to hire them. Maybe, some day if the Jets win the SB they will all have that great make up sex? LOL :)

Anyway, my point is we all think we know why the Jets have managed to win 6 games now? Hopefully my reasons don't get too many people emotionally distraught.

I can point to three main factors as to why the Jets have increased their win total. We can debate how much more important one is as compared to the others, but here's mine:

1) JD is doing his job. In many ways, this season has been a very unique experience? JD never had the benefit of FA or the draft. We've had a first row seat to see how a GM can improve a team without having the most obvious avenues available to him. Ryan Kalil was obviously a terrible acquisition but I still don't regret JD making the move? There's no damage to the salary cap after this season. But since that terrible move, I've really liked his under the radar (so to speak) moves. Alex Lewis, Ryan Griffin, Demaryius Thomas, Arthur Maulet, etc., All of these guys in my opinion have a chance to compete for a job next season. Probably most of them won't be starting players, but they will all have a role to play. I look forward to seeing how much more JD can improve the back end of this roster. IMO, he's doing a nice job right now considering the situation he's been thrown into. Obviously, the DRAFT and FA are what will make or break JD and these moves he's currently making would be considered to be IRRELEVANT in comparison.

2) The defense is playing better.  Todd Bowles was supposed to be a defensive guru? The fact is, he was pretty DUMB when it comes to defense. The Jets have a lot of nice players on defense and ?was unable to get their defensive rankings anything higher than 21st? 22nd? That just doesn't represent what the Jets defense is capable of. GREG WILLIAMS came in and immediately realized they were capable of much more and he's managed to bring that out.

3) SAM DARNOLD is playing well. Despite his every now and then boneheaded play, he's really becoming a good QB. We all knew coming into this season that for the Jets to have  any success on offense Sam Darnold would need to play better. Well, I think he has. With time, hopefully, he can further hone his skills and become a franchise QB. Because it's obvious to me that the players rally around who they view as the leader of this team. They view Sam Darnold as their unquestioned leader right now. This is also a huge positve mark mark for Adam Gase. Now I know this will be viewed as controversial, but once again this is just my opinion - not to impune anyone else's opinion. But I think Adam Gase has very clearly earned an opportunity to come back next year.

Who wrote this? Gase’s granny?  

Excited about win increase to six game. The softie scheduled ever during my lifetime and setting record for losing to winless team. Lol can’t make this shhhit up.  What are we aiming next year, 7?  And the following his breakthrough at 8. 

11 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

mister-softee.jpg

The grinch that stole Christmas 

21 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

mister-softee.jpg

There’s a paradox with Darnold. You want him to freelance a bit more, get out of the pocket etc....me too because he clearly has a special ability to make some plays off script that only a rare few QB’s have....but.... that’s also his biggest weakness at this point. He still needs to learn when to set up and execute flawless technique so that those passes don’t sail into the wrong hands. His ability to go off script means he will always be on the edge of technical breakdown. That’s a discipline he needs to improve on and that good coaching has to help with(curiously it feels like Bates had a better grip on the technique smoothing out than Gase & Loggains have shown).

the point is you probably can’t have that exciting gunslinger type QB with the ability to pull a magic rabbit out of the hat without accepting there will be flawed throws and ‘boneheaded’ plays from time to time....it might be a good 3 or 4 years before he can mature and work on his game to the point where he hits that sweet spot where he can be both .....and have the supporting cast to help him out...like actually make some plays for him....catch the damn ball...block the damn OLB....break off a damn 60 yard run etc etc

so we either need to accept those mistakes at this stage or ask him to be one or the other(an old school drop back, set feet, deliver passer or the freelancer who can make something happen when it’s all broken down around him).....it’s unreasonable in my opinion to expect him to master both at this stage without there being growing pains.

That and coaching and play calling helping him out too

• Upvote 1