Replace Sanchez with Darnold

Replace Sanchez with Darnold and...  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Replace Sanchez with Darnold and...

• Sexy Rexy wins two Superbowls. Hell put him in now and we win one and Bell runs for over 100 yards in a game
    • Nothing changes. What the hell is this poll even about.

This is a tough call because while Darnold is a far superior natural thrower of the football,he still could of just as easily tossed a few ugly picks that help us lose any of the playoff games in 09 or 2010.

Mark was a paranoid, soft, limited QB but for some damn reason he managed to do enough to get it done in the playoffs most of the time. What did he finish with? A 4-2 post-season record? 

I also think Darnold could of made a few more passes that Sanchez could only dream of making and that might of been enough to fight back earlier on in either AFCCG.

It really can go either way and i don’t guess there’s really a right answer but I can say that if Darnold was a little more careful with the football, i wouldn’t have a single doubt in the world that he could of taken that team all the way. We have to remember that Darnold behind the Jets 2009 line would probably be an entire different result from what our current OL has done for him. As much as Rex likes to talk about how Daniel Jones is better than Sam Darnold and Darnold’s mechanics are disgustingly sloppy, he’d have a #14 jersey on his ass cheek after standing on the sideline and watching his QB run and gun the way Sam can.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

This is a tough call because while Darnold is a far superior natural thrower of the football,he still could of just as easily tossed a few ugly picks that help us lose any of the playoff games in 09 or 2010.

Mark was a paranoid, soft, limited QB but for some damn reason he managed to do enough to get it done in the playoffs most of the time. What did he finish with? A 4-2 post-season record? 

I also think Darnold could of made a few more passes that Sanchez could only dream of making and that might of been enough to fight back earlier on in either AFCCG.

It really can go either way and i don’t guess there’s really a right answer but I can say that if Darnold was a little more careful with the football, i wouldn’t have a single doubt in the world that he could of taken that team all the way. We have to remember that Darnold behind the Jets 2009 line would probably be an entire different result from what our current OL has done for him. As much as Rex likes to talk about how Daniel Jones is better than Sam Darnold and Darnold’s mechanics are disgustingly sloppy, he’d have a #14 jersey on his ass cheek after standing on the sideline and watching his QB run and gun the way Sam can.

Darnold, with the same OL that Sanchez was gifted, coupled with a top running game and at least 1 WR who can could get separation on a somewhat consistent basis.....would have been sick.

I keep saying, he can not be properly evaluated until you get at least just an average OL who can pass block to the tune of giving him more than 1.9 seconds on average and can make enough holes in the running game where a HOF back can average better than 3.2 yards per carry haha.

The same can be said for Gase.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

23 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It’s as if people forget what Rex was like the final 4 years in NY and 2 years in Buffalo.

We had 2 fun years. Then the game evolved. He didn’t. Move on.

I mean, he did have Idsh*t as his GM for 2 of those years and he still managed 8, 6, 7 and 4 wins in those 4 years when we were rebuilding ALONG with playing Geno as our QB. Absolute garbage is what he had as QB. Gase? Give me a break. The goon had Tannehill who looks like a franchise QB away from Gase and his eyeballs. Even Tannehill thought he was garbage and not cut out as a starting NFL QB. That’s the Gase effect. 

He didn’t evolve cuz he kinda didn’t have a GM. Hard to evolve when you have Izdik as your GM. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, CurtMart said:

I mean, he did have Idsh*t as his GM for 2 of those years and he still managed 8, 6, 7 and 4 wins in those 4 years when we were rebuilding ALONG with playing Geno as our QB. Absolute garbage is what he had as QB. Gase? Give me a break. The goon had Tannehill who looks like a franchise QB away from Gase and his eyeballs. Even Tannehill thought he was garbage and not cut out as a starting NFL QB. That’s the Gase effect. 

He didn’t evolve cuz he kinda didn’t have a GM. Hard to evolve when you have Izdik as your GM. 

7C87BF5D-A49D-49D0-9C54-F82788D556C8.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

It’s as if people forget what Rex was like the final 4 years in NY and 2 years in Buffalo.

We had 2 fun years. Then the game evolved. He didn’t. Move on.

Exactly ... Mangini built a winner ... Management could not see that... then Rex took that team to the playoffs twice before losing everything. .. Rex was a fraud King.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Thumb Down 1

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Those 2009 - 2011 Jets teams dragged Sanchez to the playoffs.  He was a passenger on that bus, not the driver.

It's funny, that's exactly what I said at that time.

And yet, for years I had to debate guys just like......well, people......who claimed all the same things about Sanchez people claim about Darnold today.

Maybe I wouldn't be such a cynic if I hadn't heard the same exact defenses of people for 40 years now.  /shrug.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Exactly ... Mangini built a winner ... Management could not see that... then Rex took that team to the playoffs twice before losing everything. .. Rex was a fraud King.

Yet couldn't win the East when Brady was out game 1 and the QB he let go took a 1-15 Fin team and  won the East..How Mangini who never won a playoff game gets this credit is beyond me.. With the Browns he went 10-22 and was canned in 2 years..

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Guys Gase is terrible but the idea somehow Rex was worse is crazy, not only did they guys love him but his crap offense was way better than what Gase has done and he had butt fumble Sanchez as his QB.

Guys, our O had a top 10 Oline and WRs Santonio and Edwards both of which were much better then our top WR Anderson. With that Sam would be in much better shape then he is now with Gase then he would with Rex.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Mangina built a winner, yet he couldn’t manage more than 9 wins with a HoF QB, but Rex managed more with Buttfumble. Yeah makes sense. 

maybe Mangina did build a winning roster, but he couldn’t coach for sh*t himself. Rex got it all out of them. 

• Upvote 1

There were TWO things missing from the 2010 and 2011 playoff teams:

1) A decent QB. Ironically enough as bad as Sanchez was, he played some of his best games as a pro in the playoffs. However, that was all scripted to make sure Sanchez wasn't relied on to scan the field? That's because he couldn't.

2) A suitable pass rush. Those teams just didn't get after the QB unless Rex made it happen via schemes and wrinkles.

My feeling has always been if Darnold had played with that team, the Jets would have won at least one SB. I don't think Darnold and the Jets team would have been able to overcome Rex's lack of a game plan against Pitt.

4 hours ago, nico002 said:

It’s tough... I think we win 12+ games in both those seasons with Darnold 

but... Sanchez played his best 4 games in the playoffs... impossible to know if Sam would do as well. You could say that for any QB. Sanchez out played manning, Brady, and prime rivers in those games. 

Wow wouldn't have expected that objectivity from you..  Mark was lackluster during the regular season but for some reason turned it on in the playoffs.  He is criminally underrated on this board for what he did in the post season.

• Upvote 1

So what’s your excuse for his failure in Buffalo?

The defense was top 5 before he arrived and he ran it into the ground.

2 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Guys, our O had a top 10 Oline and WRs Santonio and Edwards both of which were much better then our top WR Anderson. With that Sam would be in much better shape then he is now with Gase then he would with Rex.

I dunno...  Sams comp% is pretty MEH. He's better than Sanchez... but he'd still have been a "baby" then as well and making his mistakes.....

And our un game ciuldnt get us a ******* TD from 1st and gaol at the 1 v Pitts, so...  

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

It's funny, that's exactly what I said at that time.

And yet, for years I had to debate guys just like......well, people......who claimed all the same things about Sanchez people claim about Darnold today.

Maybe I wouldn't be such a cynic if I hadn't heard the same exact defenses of people for 40 years now.  /shrug.

I see a big difference between Darnold and Sanchez. Sanchez had a vastly different supporting cast including one of the best Jets OLines of all-time and numerous playmakers. Sanchez went downhill after the talent deteriorated. Darnold has never really had talent around him at the NFL level yet. Time will tell but I’m much more optimistic about Sam than Sanchize. 

• Upvote 2

The one thing that had me excited about Sanchez in those early days is how he elevated his game in the 4th quarter with the game on the line.  I remember him winning a bunch of game winning drives: Detroit, Denver, Cleveland, Houston and then Indy in the playoffs.  Sometimes he was part of the reason we fell behinc, but he showed the ability to make plays to bring the team back from late defecits.  That is why I really though he would be something.  The way he responded late under pressure.

Thats something we have not yet seen much with Sam.  Sam is the better QB, much better upside than Sanchez, but he has not shown that ability to be at his best late in games.  That is one thing I want to see out of a franchise QB.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So what’s your excuse for his failure in Buffalo?

The defense was top 5 before he arrived and he ran it into the ground.

He took a 9-7 team and ran it to the ground with an 8-8 year and a 7-8 season. Completely demolished that elite playoff team. Which BTW had won 28 games from its previous 5 seasons.