Jump to content
kevinc855

Jeudy all over Mocks

Recommended Posts

Some have the speedy WR Alabama prospect going at 2 and I seen some at 17. If he’s there when Jets pick should we take him or go best o lineman on the board?

Im really torn....discuss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d like to see Wirfs in the first rd, a Wr in the second, another offensive lineman and a CB in the third.  Then go BPA from 4-7 and make sure one is a RB with speed that can catch

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bowles Movement said:

I’d like to see Wirfs in the first rd, a Wr in the second, another offensive lineman and a CB in the third.  Then go BPA from 4-7 and make sure one is a RB with speed that can catch

If Tyler Baidasz is there in the 2nd, I'd take him. Barring that, I like this plan. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Some people like Jeudy others Lamb.  OL and WR are the two biggest needs for sure.  Even pass rushing olb is up there.

Unless things go very badly for us luck wise we need to use two of our 1st three picks on the oline,  Anything other than that and I;ll be pissed.

Not matter what they do you'll be pissed that's guaranteed..B)

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My thing is- I want us to get a blue chip LT prospect. Now, it doesn't necessarily have to be in Rd. 1, and it could happen in a trade down scenario as well. The depth at OT this year gives us an opportunity to snag one early in Rd. 2. However, I think we NEED to get one in this draft. Its the perfect opportunity as we rebuild the O-line to get a critical piece. 

I prefer Lamb. So if he is there it will be hard to pass on him for, lets say, the 3rd or 4th OT on the board. But if the Jets really like Wirfs (or fill in the blank) and he falls to them as the SECOND OT on the board, I don't see how they can pass on him for a WR, even if its Lamb. I mean, I guess it would just depend on their overall board. But IMO, the critical need is LT, much more so than WR. The fact is, star WRs often in their prime hit FA and the trade market WAY more often than LTs in their prime. They are a rarity. Not to mention that this is SUCH a deep WR class that you can find superb talent in Rd. 2 and 3.   

If I'm the Jets, I turn away from the temptation to draft a top WR and I do the responsible thing and take care of the O-line by taking the best possible LT prospect in Rd. 1 

We know JD will go after O-line in FA but whats going to be interesting to see is what they do at CB. They have a lot invested in Tru and Roberts but not in Bless, who has been solid, and Maulet is a FA so is Canady and Poole. If they cut Tru they take on a ton of dead cap and free up 3 mil, if they cut Roberts they free up 6 mil. Will they resign Poole? Maulet? Canady? Will they go after one of the other big name FAs? If they don't, will it put pressure on them to draft a CB early? The CB position is pretty top heavy. There are a handful of really good prospects in this draft and the Jets will have an opportunity to draft a top 5 CB prospect in Rd. 2. Will the Jets fanbase go apes***t if they pass on WR until Rd. 3 b/c they took a CB in Rd. 2 after taking a LT in Rd. 1? I think that might actually be smart b/c there should still be great WR talent in Rd. 3 and the Jets have 2 early picks.     

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless they get 5 starting oline and depth in FA they should go oline with at least 2 of the first 4 picks. 
Fix the oline and no more excuses for Gase or Darnold. They’re either winners or not and Douglas will know if it’s time to move on or not. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

Some have the speedy WR Alabama prospect going at 2 and I seen some at 17. If he’s there when Jets pick should we take him or go best o lineman on the board?

Im really torn....discuss

As much as I love him I'd rather see us go O line or maybe edge rusher. I know you don't draft because of need but that's what I would do as long as the OL was very close in our rankings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends what we do in Free Agency. If we sign a couple of younger lineman in FA that could change things.

Teams that lack talent like the Jets do really should just take the BPA. I love Jeudy as a player though. If he's there when the Jets are on the board, I would think they would be interested. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d absolutely prefer a LT in the first round - though there are some intriguing athletic small school guys who might be late round 1 or day 2 guys. If Thomas is legitimately the only top 10 tackle in the class - he’s a layup if he’s on the board. If he’s not, Jeudy or Lamb should get consideration. I’d prefer a trade down targeting another tackle while accumulating more picks if Thomas is gone, but if that’s hard to pull off and the best guy on the board is one of those receivers it’s not like taking another freaking DT. A true #1 WR would dramatically change the offense - I’d love to see Robby have an opportunity to function as a #2 who defenses have to respect. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

This is why we need two first round picks

 

Trade Adams for a pick so we can get both Thomas/Wirfs and Lamb/Jeudy

 

Instantly upgrade at two positions of need

Instantly weakens the D and you get 2 "what if" draft picks. 

Want the list of #1 pick busts.....

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

This is why we need two first round picks

 

Trade Adams for a pick so we can get both Thomas/Wirfs and Lamb/Jeudy

 

Instantly upgrade at two positions of need

It would have to be a top 15 pick to even have a shot at getting both targeted players

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, derp said:

I’d absolutely prefer a LT in the first round - though there are some intriguing athletic small school guys who might be late round 1 or day 2 guys. If Thomas is legitimately the only top 10 tackle in the class - he’s a layup if he’s on the board. If he’s not, Jeudy or Lamb should get consideration. I’d prefer a trade down targeting another tackle while accumulating more picks if Thomas is gone, but if that’s hard to pull off and the best guy on the board is one of those receivers it’s not like taking another freaking DT. A true #1 WR would dramatically change the offense - I’d love to see Robby have an opportunity to function as a #2 who defenses have to respect. 

Having a stud number 1 wr with Anderson in the number 2 slot and Crowder in the slot, Herndon and Griffin at TE and Bell in the backfield would be a pick your poison offense because no one could cover them all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Sounds good to me

I personally prefer Lamb but would have no objections over taking Jeudy.

Todd McShay is on record calling him the best WR he’s ever evaluated and McShay is really close with Joe Douglas. Played at Richmond together in college and Douglas was supposedly very interested in adding McShay to the front office 6 months ago. 

If we’re picking between 10-14, then there’s a decent chance the Top 3 OT’s are already gone. 

And it’s not like the Jets can’t improve the OL in FA and continue to bolster it after the 1st round.

FWIW, Daniel Jeremiah (also close with JD) doesn’t think Andrew Thomas is the clear-cut best OLT prospect in the draft and has been talking up Jedrick Wills (Alabama) as a legitimate left tackle prospect who will rise at draft time. Bodes well for the depth at the position if we end up at 10-15

  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Jets are projected to have around $60 million in cap space. Cut a few guys like Trumaine Johnson, Darryl Roberts, Brian Winters, Avery Williamson and Quincy Enunwa and that gets us close to $90 million.

That’s enough to re-sign guys like Beachum, Robby, Jenkins, etc and still have plenty to chase guys like Thuney and Conklin.

The Jets can easily bolster the OL significantly before the draft even rolls around.

I’d love to take Jeudy in the 1st and still have an OL that looks something like this going into next season:

LT Kelvin Beachum

LG Joe Thuney 

C Nick Harris (2nd Round)

RG Ben Bredeson (3rd round)

RT Jack Conklin 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The Jets are projected to have around $60 million in cap space. Cut a few guys like Trumaine Johnson, Darryl Roberts, Brian Winters, Avery Williamson and Quincy Enunwa and that gets us close to $90 million.

Don’t let the Jets’ 5-2 second-half record fool you – general manager Joe Douglas still has his work cut out for him rebuilding this roster over the offseason.

Sure, head coach Adam Gase has things rolling right now. But this team still isn’t talented enough (or deep enough) to compete with the NFL’s best when push comes to shove.

Douglas is going to have a lot of decisions to make during free agency and the NFL Draft. But before he gets there, he has to decide on these seven players – all of whom could be cut to save some significant cap space, if Douglas chooses.

But who should stay and who should go? Here’s a look at all seven potential cap casualties and a verdict on each one.

CUT

CB Trumaine Johnson

2020 cap hit: $15 million

Dead money (if cut): $12 million

Potential cap savings: $3 million

Analysis: This one is an absolute no-brainer. Johnson has been useless for the past two seasons and is nowhere near worth his current price tag. Sure, eating $12 million will hurt. But freeing up $3 million is well worth the pain. The Jets need to free up this roster spot. Johnson is clearly not a starter anymore and it makes no sense to pay a below-average backup this kind of money. Happy trails, Tru.

CB Darryl Roberts

2020 cap hit: $6 million

Dead money: None

Potential cap savings: $6 million

Analysis: Just like Johnson, Roberts has been a total bust. He was a perfectly fine third cornerback in 2018, but that’s his ceiling. Former GM Mike Maccagnan foolishly handed him a starting job when he signed him for a decent chunk of change last offseason. It’s Douglas’ job to correct that now. Sure, the Jets could probably make use of Roberts as a backup – but not for this price tag. He has to go and the Jets have to start remaking their entire cornerback room.

WR Josh Bellamy

2020 cap hit: $2.25 million

Dead money: $910,000

Potential cap savings: $1.34 million

Analysis: Bellamy won’t exactly produce the same level of savings that the other two will, but he’s still worth letting go. He was not a viable threat in the passing game and there are plenty of other special-teams players around the league who are available for less money. Unless Brant Boyer really, really wants Bellamy back, there’s no good reason to keep him around. The special teams unit has been fine with him on IR this season, there’s no reason they can’t be fine again without him next season.

RG Brian Winters

2020 cap hit: $7.5 million

Dead money: None

Potential cap savings: $7.5 million

Analysis: Earlier in the season, we went the other way on this one. But that was before Tom Compton and Conor McDermott turned in admirable performances at Winters’ right guard spot. If those two are capable of outperforming Winters for far less money, then it doesn’t make sense to keep him around next season. That said, it wouldn’t be completely insane for Douglas to hang onto Winters. He already has to replace at least three or four starting spots on the offensive line. Voluntarily opening up another hole could make that task even more difficult. Keeping Winters for one more year and kicking the right guard can down the road could sense, since the Jets aren’t in a one-year rebuild. But at this point, Douglas could just kick the can by plugging one of those other two guys into Winters’ role for less money, if he really has to.

KEEP

LB Avery Williamson

2020 cap hit: $8.5 million

Dead money: $2 million

Potential cap savings: $6.5 million

Analysis: You could certainly make the argument that it’s not worth bringing back a 29-year-old who’s recovering from an ACL tear and may not be ready to go until right at season’s start. But quality inside linebackers are not cheap anymore – as the Jets learned when the signed C.J. Mosley to a record deal this past spring. Williamson has his flaws, but he’s a playmaker and should team well with Mosley when both are healthy. That duo clearly didn’t pan out this season, but it’s worth giving them another shot next year.

C Jonotthan Harrison

2020 cap hit: $2.25 million

Dead money: None

Potential cap savings: $2.25 million

Analysis: This one should be a no-brainer, too. The offensive line has looked far, far better with Harrison in the middle the past few weeks. Should he be the starter next season? No, probably not. But he’s clearly a valuable backup and a strong leader for this unit. Plus, he has the positional flexibility to play guard, too. Douglas should find a young starter, possibly in the draft, then keep Harrison around as insurance and a mentor.

DT Steve McLendon

2020 cap hit: $2.825 million

Dead money: $325,000

Potential cap savings: $2.5 million

Analysis: The Jets extended McLendon earlier this season, which was a surprising move given he’s 33. So, clearly, they think he’s doing an admirable job and is worth keeping around. Considering how well the Jets’ defensive front has been playing this season, the team would be smart to keep as many of those pieces in place as possible. Don’t rock the boat.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lamb /Juedy w Anderson, Crowder, Herndon, Griffin and Bell would be dangerous provided we get significantly better on the online through FA. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Don’t let the Jets’ 5-2 second-half record fool you – general manager Joe Douglas still has his work cut out for him rebuilding this roster over the offseason.

Sure, head coach Adam Gase has things rolling right now. But this team still isn’t talented enough (or deep enough) to compete with the NFL’s best when push comes to shove.

Douglas is going to have a lot of decisions to make during free agency and the NFL Draft. But before he gets there, he has to decide on these seven players – all of whom could be cut to save some significant cap space, if Douglas chooses.

But who should stay and who should go? Here’s a look at all seven potential cap casualties and a verdict on each one.

CUT

CB Trumaine Johnson

2020 cap hit: $15 million

Dead money (if cut): $12 million

Potential cap savings: $3 million

Analysis: This one is an absolute no-brainer. Johnson has been useless for the past two seasons and is nowhere near worth his current price tag. Sure, eating $12 million will hurt. But freeing up $3 million is well worth the pain. The Jets need to free up this roster spot. Johnson is clearly not a starter anymore and it makes no sense to pay a below-average backup this kind of money. Happy trails, Tru.

CB Darryl Roberts

2020 cap hit: $6 million

Dead money: None

Potential cap savings: $6 million

Analysis: Just like Johnson, Roberts has been a total bust. He was a perfectly fine third cornerback in 2018, but that’s his ceiling. Former GM Mike Maccagnan foolishly handed him a starting job when he signed him for a decent chunk of change last offseason. It’s Douglas’ job to correct that now. Sure, the Jets could probably make use of Roberts as a backup – but not for this price tag. He has to go and the Jets have to start remaking their entire cornerback room.

WR Josh Bellamy

2020 cap hit: $2.25 million

Dead money: $910,000

Potential cap savings: $1.34 million

Analysis: Bellamy won’t exactly produce the same level of savings that the other two will, but he’s still worth letting go. He was not a viable threat in the passing game and there are plenty of other special-teams players around the league who are available for less money. Unless Brant Boyer really, really wants Bellamy back, there’s no good reason to keep him around. The special teams unit has been fine with him on IR this season, there’s no reason they can’t be fine again without him next season.

RG Brian Winters

2020 cap hit: $7.5 million

Dead money: None

Potential cap savings: $7.5 million

Analysis: Earlier in the season, we went the other way on this one. But that was before Tom Compton and Conor McDermott turned in admirable performances at Winters’ right guard spot. If those two are capable of outperforming Winters for far less money, then it doesn’t make sense to keep him around next season. That said, it wouldn’t be completely insane for Douglas to hang onto Winters. He already has to replace at least three or four starting spots on the offensive line. Voluntarily opening up another hole could make that task even more difficult. Keeping Winters for one more year and kicking the right guard can down the road could sense, since the Jets aren’t in a one-year rebuild. But at this point, Douglas could just kick the can by plugging one of those other two guys into Winters’ role for less money, if he really has to.

KEEP

LB Avery Williamson

2020 cap hit: $8.5 million

Dead money: $2 million

Potential cap savings: $6.5 million

Analysis: You could certainly make the argument that it’s not worth bringing back a 29-year-old who’s recovering from an ACL tear and may not be ready to go until right at season’s start. But quality inside linebackers are not cheap anymore – as the Jets learned when the signed C.J. Mosley to a record deal this past spring. Williamson has his flaws, but he’s a playmaker and should team well with Mosley when both are healthy. That duo clearly didn’t pan out this season, but it’s worth giving them another shot next year.

C Jonotthan Harrison

2020 cap hit: $2.25 million

Dead money: None

Potential cap savings: $2.25 million

Analysis: This one should be a no-brainer, too. The offensive line has looked far, far better with Harrison in the middle the past few weeks. Should he be the starter next season? No, probably not. But he’s clearly a valuable backup and a strong leader for this unit. Plus, he has the positional flexibility to play guard, too. Douglas should find a young starter, possibly in the draft, then keep Harrison around as insurance and a mentor.

DT Steve McLendon

2020 cap hit: $2.825 million

Dead money: $325,000

Potential cap savings: $2.5 million

Analysis: The Jets extended McLendon earlier this season, which was a surprising move given he’s 33. So, clearly, they think he’s doing an admirable job and is worth keeping around. Considering how well the Jets’ defensive front has been playing this season, the team would be smart to keep as many of those pieces in place as possible. Don’t rock the boat.

Williamson should definitely be let go IMO.

I really like him, but you could probably re-sign both Hewitt and Burgess with the money we’d save by cutting him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Savage69 said:

Not matter what they do you'll be pissed that's guaranteed..B)

No.  I have been happy with our value draft picks and sound team building strategy.  We have had none for years unfortunately.

Funny how so many people are happy every year with our drafts and the take a look at our record.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

If we’re picking between 10-14, then there’s a decent chance the Top 3 OT’s are already gone. 

I think its just as likely that Jeudy and Lamb will be off the board if we are picking between 10 and 14 so it would be a moot point. However, the 4th OT (depending on which OTs teams like) may still end up being a guy like Leatherwood or Jackson.

Would be interesting to see if a guy like Fulton or Epenesa were on the board and while the top 2 WRs and top 2-3 OTs were gone. Do the Jets go defense in Rd. 1?  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I think its just as likely that Jeudy and Lamb will be off the board if we are picking between 10 and 14 so it would be a moot point. However, the 4th OT (depending on which OTs teams like) may still end up being a guy like Leatherwood or Jackson.

Would be interesting to see if a guy like Fulton or Epenesa were on the board and while the top 2 WRs and top 2-3 OTs were gone. Do the Jets go defense in Rd. 1?  

They may be forced to in that scenario barring a trade down.

But if it was me, I’d take Higgins or Biadasz and not look back.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's face it.  We're not going to fill all of our needs in 2020.  To prioritize there are several factors.

  • The defense played well enough to win 8-10 games this year without several key pieces who will be back next year.
  • The draft finally falls our way this year in that it is loaded with players at positions of need.   
  • After all is said and done we should have close to $100mm in cap space which if spend properly should bring in several tier 2 guys to fill several holes.  I wouldn't count on Douglas even trying to sign Scherff, Cooper and other 'Day 1' free agents.
  • That last sentence is contingent upon Chris Johnson going on an extended vacation from January to September and letting Douglas pick his own guys lest Johnson push for big names (see; Le'Veon Bell in 2019).

With all that said and done I expect (hope) it plays out as follows:

  • Douglas re-signs Robby, Jenkins and Poole.
  • He signs a starting C, RG and RT in free agency.
  • He signs a solid, veteran WR in free agency.
  • His biggest free agency signings would be an OLB and CB.  Not break the bank guys but serviceable starters.
  • He drafts a LT in round 1 (Thomas, Wirfs, Jackson), a WR in round 2 (Justin Jefferson, LSU, Tee Higgins, Clemson, Ruggs, Bama), a G and WR or CB in round 3
  • I hope he can find 2 or 3 gems in rounds 4-7 and UDFA.

If Douglas can patch that OL and find two capable starters for the defense this team is capable of winning 10 games next year.  I'll be happy.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Unless they get 5 starting oline and depth in FA they should go oline with at least 2 of the first 4 picks. 
Fix the oline and no more excuses for Gase or Darnold. They’re either winners or not and Douglas will know if it’s time to move on or not. 

Unfortunately we can't fix the whole Oline this offseason and get what we need at WR, CB, and Edge. So the top picks we have will mostly be needed for the Oline and some lower picks for the other needs as well as FAs. Unless at some of the top draft picks there are much better prospects outside of Oline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1st round = best OL available (LT or C).  If when they pick they feel the value isn't there, then TRADE DOWN a bit for an additional pick, then OL. 

Once that's done, best OL or WR in the 2nd round (2nd round will be a great value slot for WR).  Whichever is not taken in the 2nd round is then taken with the first 3rd rounder.  Heck, then go BPA between OL, CB, and Edge the rest of the way, making sure to take at least one more OL. 

At least three OL total in the first 5 rounds.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

The Jets are projected to have around $60 million in cap space. Cut a few guys like Trumaine Johnson, Darryl Roberts, Brian Winters, Avery Williamson and Quincy Enunwa and that gets us close to $90 million.

That’s enough to re-sign guys like Beachum, Robby, Jenkins, etc and still have plenty to chase guys like Thuney and Conklin.

The Jets can easily bolster the OL significantly before the draft even rolls around.

I’d love to take Jeudy in the 1st and still have an OL that looks something like this going into next season:

LT Kelvin Beachum

LG Joe Thuney 

C Nick Harris (2nd Round)

RG Ben Bredeson (3rd round)

RT Jack Conklin 

I might keep Beachum as RT. No way he's Darnold's blindside next year.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'd rather have a bigger guy thean Jeudy...   

Shenault or Higgins

 

mention those cos Lamb and jeudy will be gone, imho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need a big wideout for Darnold because he’s going to take risks. So you need a guy that will go up and make tough contested catches which makes Higgins a better option than Lamb or Jeudy. If Adams holds out you have to really consider the possibility of trading him for a 1st and hopefully another 2nd day pick. Darnold’s growth and development is priority over possibly weakening the defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Some people like Jeudy others Lamb.  OL and WR are the two biggest needs for sure.  Even pass rushing olb is up there.

+Higgins

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...