Jeudy all over Mocks

kevinc855

in that order?

Well, the priority is BPA oof those positions, but all else equal yes.

We desperately need OL, but edge rushers are the QB of the defense, in terms of importance - makes everyone else look better, especially CBs.

We need WR too, but you have a better shot at one later - edge rushers, even on last years insanely deep edge draft, don't generally last until day 2.

But don't get me wrong, if there's no dominant edge rushers available and no OL that looks like a day 1 / 10 year starter and Jeudy/Lamb are the BPA, go WR and be happy.

3 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Unfortunately we can't fix the whole Oline this offseason and get what we need at WR, CB, and Edge. So the top picks we have will mostly be needed for the Oline and some lower picks for the other needs as well as FAs. Unless at some of the top draft picks there are much better prospects outside of Oline.

They definitely can’t but a good LT, C and OG would improve this team greatly including the D. Less time on the field and less short fields. The oline needs more time to play together to get good then the DL/ED so I’d rather them concentrate on it.   

I think as a general matter bad teams are teams without QBs, OL and EDGE, so those teams pick first and will pick those.  

My guess is that the BPA at high value/need position for the Jets will be WR.   Their 6 or 7 wins overachieved for this team since Mac drafted a QB high without having a line to block for him.  

JD will run the numbers and possibly conclude that a WR better than Robby Anderson could be available when they draft, and that player will cost 1/3 of what Anderson will cost.  That may be the better move and then throw the money at FA OL

There's a chance that both Jeudy and Lamb are gone and Okudah will be the BPA at Edge/OL/WR/DB. Might need somebody to trade up for Herbert so a WR falls, or go with one of the Iowa guys Wirfs (OT) or Epensa or Penn St.'s Gross-Matos (an actual full-sized Edge)

If Jeudy or Andrew Thomas are there when the Jets are on the clock we have to stick and pick.  If they're both gone then I'd really like to see a trade back from our expected #7-10 spot to somewhere in the mid-teens or close to 20 where we can get any number of decent OLine and WR prospects (maybe not Lamb but possibly Ruggs, Shenault, Higgins at WR or Wirfs, Wills, Biadasz on the Line).  Getting another early 2nd round pick should be the goal.

17 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Some people like Jeudy others Lamb.  OL and WR are the two biggest needs for sure.  Even pass rushing olb is up there.

Unless things go very badly for us luck wise we need to use two of our 1st three picks on the oline,  Anything other than that and I;ll be pissed.

*first 4 picks. We have 4 picks in the top 75. Third and 4th picks will be about 5 spots a part (Leonard trade via Giants). There’s a little wiggle room there. I hope Douglas moves down in the first round to pick up an extra 3rd or 4th so we can draft a CB with some potential.

All depends on the FA but I’m not against drafting 3 OL from the first 4 picks. Sam is the future and we need to protect him. Without him, it’s guys like Faulk that will Faulk your season!

There is always a possibility the Jets take the best DT, NT coming out. Never mind, McCofeegan is not the GM anymore. Please select a offensive player. God knows this team hasn't drafted one in the first round for a long time. The last WRs we drafted high were Moss and Hill.

How awesome was that Leo trade? That 1st third rounder (very high) & our own 3 could be the bam, bam, from JD the Jets need to have a great draft. So imagine that one of Jeudy or Ceedee Lamb drops in our laps? Not totally out of the question picking where we are. Or maybe Hebert drops & we get a trade back scenario? Both are distinct possibilities where we are picking. 

With 4 picks, we could come away with WR, OL, OL, RB. Just 1 tradeback we could come away with all that & more. Pray that a QB like Herbert drops down to us, because in this QB driven league, trading up where we're picking is much less expensive but for the Jets could be like finding gold in this draft based on our needs at Oline, WR & RB. My belief is that JD buys the defense in Free Agency, Edge, CB & goes to an ALL OFFENSE 2020 draft. 

We need to draft 3 offensive linemen in the draft this year. LT, C, and G. We can make do at RT with Beachum or Shell/Edoga. Until Sam has time to throw it,  the offense will always be sub par. We can get a good WR in the mid rounds or Free agency. CB can also be addresses in the later rounds. 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

How awesome was that Leo trade? That 1st third rounder (very high) & our own 3 could be the bam, bam, from JD the Jets need to have a great draft. So imagine that one of Jeudy or Ceedee Lamb drops in our laps? Not totally out of the question picking where we are. Or maybe Hebert drops & we get a trade back scenario? Both are distinct possibilities where we are picking. 

With 4 picks, we could come away with WR, OL, OL, RB. Just 1 tradeback we could come away with all that & more. Pray that a QB like Herbert drops down to us, because in this QB driven league, trading up where we're picking is much less expensive but for the Jets could be like finding gold in this draft based on our needs at Oline, WR & RB. My belief is that JD buys the defense in Free Agency, Edge, CB & goes to an ALL OFFENSE 2020 draft. 

With all the needs on the current team I don’t think they should take a RB in the first 4 rounds. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Don’t let the Jets’ 5-2 second-half record fool you – general manager Joe Douglas still has his work cut out for him rebuilding this roster over the offseason.

Sure, head coach Adam Gase has things rolling right now. But this team still isn’t talented enough (or deep enough) to compete with the NFL’s best when push comes to shove.

Douglas is going to have a lot of decisions to make during free agency and the NFL Draft. But before he gets there, he has to decide on these seven players – all of whom could be cut to save some significant cap space, if Douglas chooses.

But who should stay and who should go? Here’s a look at all seven potential cap casualties and a verdict on each one.

CUT

CB Trumaine Johnson

2020 cap hit: $15 million

Dead money (if cut): $12 million

Potential cap savings: $3 million

Analysis: This one is an absolute no-brainer. Johnson has been useless for the past two seasons and is nowhere near worth his current price tag. Sure, eating $12 million will hurt. But freeing up $3 million is well worth the pain. The Jets need to free up this roster spot. Johnson is clearly not a starter anymore and it makes no sense to pay a below-average backup this kind of money. Happy trails, Tru. 

CB Darryl Roberts

2020 cap hit: $6 million

Dead money: None

Potential cap savings: $6 million

Analysis: Just like Johnson, Roberts has been a total bust. He was a perfectly fine third cornerback in 2018, but that’s his ceiling. Former GM Mike Maccagnan foolishly handed him a starting job when he signed him for a decent chunk of change last offseason. It’s Douglas’ job to correct that now. Sure, the Jets could probably make use of Roberts as a backup – but not for this price tag. He has to go and the Jets have to start remaking their entire cornerback room. 

WR Josh Bellamy

2020 cap hit: $2.25 million

Dead money: $910,000

Potential cap savings: $1.34 million

Analysis: Bellamy won’t exactly produce the same level of savings that the other two will, but he’s still worth letting go. He was not a viable threat in the passing game and there are plenty of other special-teams players around the league who are available for less money. Unless Brant Boyer really, really wants Bellamy back, there’s no good reason to keep him around. The special teams unit has been fine with him on IR this season, there’s no reason they can’t be fine again without him next season. 

RG Brian Winters

2020 cap hit: $7.5 million

Dead money: None

Potential cap savings: $7.5 million

Analysis: Earlier in the season, we went the other way on this one. But that was before Tom Compton and Conor McDermott turned in admirable performances at Winters’ right guard spot. If those two are capable of outperforming Winters for far less money, then it doesn’t make sense to keep him around next season. That said, it wouldn’t be completely insane for Douglas to hang onto Winters. He already has to replace at least three or four starting spots on the offensive line. Voluntarily opening up another hole could make that task even more difficult. Keeping Winters for one more year and kicking the right guard can down the road could sense, since the Jets aren’t in a one-year rebuild. But at this point, Douglas could just kick the can by plugging one of those other two guys into Winters’ role for less money, if he really has to.

KEEP

LB Avery Williamson

2020 cap hit: $8.5 million

Dead money: $2 million

Potential cap savings: $6.5 million

Analysis: You could certainly make the argument that it’s not worth bringing back a 29-year-old who’s recovering from an ACL tear and may not be ready to go until right at season’s start. But quality inside linebackers are not cheap anymore – as the Jets learned when the signed C.J. Mosley to a record deal this past spring. Williamson has his flaws, but he’s a playmaker and should team well with Mosley when both are healthy. That duo clearly didn’t pan out this season, but it’s worth giving them another shot next year. 

Given how Burgess, Hewitt, and Cashman have played at ILB, and the money invested in Mosely, keeping Williamson makes no sense at all.  Resign Hewitt to a team friendly deal, bring back Burgess, and save several million in cap and cash.

22 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Williamson should definitely be let go IMO.

I really like him, but you could probably re-sign both Hewitt and Burgess with the money we’d save by cutting him.

i'm kind of leaning the same way.  save the money and pay burgess or hewitt especially with mosely coming back.  as for the draft, i'm not against drafting a skill position player in lieu of a left tackle with the top pick.  by skill position i mean edge or wr.  they just have to be day one starters.

32 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

With all the needs on the current team I don’t think they should take a RB in the first 4 rounds. 

Your probably right, Edge & CB are bigger needs but if they have a dynamic RB staring at them with 1 of those 3s, I'm not complaining. Bell will not be part of our future resurgence after next year. 

8 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Given how Burgess, Hewitt, and Cashman have played at ILB, and the money invested in Mosely, keeping Williamson makes no sense at all.  Resign Hewitt to a team friendly deal, bring back Burgess, and save several million in cap and cash.

Let's hope Avery is healthy enough to help another team & we could trade him for a pick. Guys come back from ACLs all the time now. Plus he was hurt real early. Could happen, All of these teams have these guys checked out anyway. 

54 minutes ago, TNJet said:

We need to draft 3 offensive linemen in the draft this year. LT, C, and G. We can make do at RT with Beachum or Shell/Edoga. Until Sam has time to throw it,  the offense will always be sub par. We can get a good WR in the mid rounds or Free agency. CB can also be addresses in the later rounds. 

I think the key is to get a blue chip LT prospect early and a G/OT a bit later but not deep in the draft where you are rolling the dice on a highly developmental guy (3rd or 4th round, 2nd if a really good OT is there). I think the Jets have some time at the C position b/c of Harrison. He could, and probably deserves a shot to start next season- and he is on a cheap contract. Unless Biadasz falls to the Jets in Rd 2 (which he wont), I don't see the value of drafting any other C with all of their other needs. 

Beachum is a FA, so is Shell. I don't think the Jets should be looking to re-sign either. Beachum will want at least 8mil per and who knows if he will be ok with a short term deal. Not worth it considering he is really not that good. Shell is not a good investment IMO, I think it is time to cut bait. He is a strong RT who is decent against the bull rush but regularly gets beat around the edge. I'm not re-signing him to a 3-4 year deal hoping I can teach him how to better in pass protection. If I'm the Jets I draft a LT and OG high, slot Harrison in as the starting C (for now) and sign two legit FA vets who I am comfortable with starting at OG and RT/OG, expensive, young guys in their prime, investments into the O-line, not bargain basement FA finds, legit starters. Thuney and Peat or Conklin or Scherff or whoever. You bring in 2 big name guys who you plan to have around for a while and you pair them with two top draft prospects who you plan to step in and start. 

12 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Hewitt and Burgess are both liabilities in coverage. More so Burgess than Hewitt but neither are nearly as good in coverage as Williamson and it was blatantly clear this year when they were given an opportunity to start. Furthermore, you are taking on a ton of dead $$$ if you cut Williamson. IMO you keep Williamson as your starter and resign Burgess to a team friendly deal, which he will most likely take, Hewitt will cost more. Then your ILBs are Mosley, Williamson, Cashman and Burgess. Much better against the pass. I think you are underestimating the value of Williamson having not seen him play all year. He was one of the better ILBs against the pass last year. Critical when you don't have top end man-cover CBs who you can leave on an island. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Williamson should definitely be let go IMO.

I really like him, but you could probably re-sign both Hewitt and Burgess with the money we’d save by cutting him.

I disagree on this one.I think Williamson is significantly better than Hewitt and Burgess. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Hewitt and Burgess are both liabilities in coverage. More so Burgess than Hewitt but neither are nearly as good in coverage as Williamson and it was blatantly clear this year when they were given an opportunity to start. Furthermore, you are taking on a ton of dead $$$ if you cut Williamson. IMO you keep Williamson as your starter and resign Burgess to a team friendly deal, which he will most likely take, Hewitt will cost more. Then your ILBs are Mosley, Williamson, Cashman and Burgess. Much better against the pass. I think you are underestimating the value of Williamson having not seen him play all year. He was one of the better ILBs against the pass last year. Critical when you don't have top end man-cover CBs who you can leave on an island. 

There is no dead $$ for cutting Williamson. That being said, I'd renegotiate and extend his bonus over 2 years, giving the team some cap flexibility while allowing them to keep Williamson. If the Jets switch to a 4-3 next year (which they should), Mosely, AW and Cashman is a nice LB corp. 

13 minutes ago, maury77 said:

There is no dead $$ for cutting Williamson. That being said, I'd renegotiate and extend his bonus over 2 years, giving the team some cap flexibility while allowing them to keep Williamson. If the Jets switch to a 4-3 next year (which they should), Mosely, AW and Cashman is a nice LB corp. 

My mistake. That dead $$$ was this year. There is still an 8.5 cap hit for next year if I am not mistaken. It just does not make sense to me to cut a player of his caliber, take on an 8.5 cap hit to free up 6.5 so you can sign Hewitt and Burgess. To leave you with what? Assuming the guy comes back healthy and plays a high level I honestly don't get the reasoning.  

15 minutes ago, PepPep said:

My mistake. That dead $$$ was this year. There is still an 8.5 cap hit for next year if I am not mistaken. It just does not make sense to me to cut a player of his caliber, take on an 8.5 cap hit to free up 6.5 so you can sign Hewitt and Burgess. To leave you with what? Assuming the guy comes back healthy and plays a high level I honestly don't get the reasoning.  

If he is cut, there is no cap hit. The only question is he that much better than the guys who replaced him when he was hurt?  I dont know the answer to that question but thats the question.  There are no cap ramifications or penalties for cutting him.  If his injury doesnt respond and he doesnt look ready to contribute, Id guess they would save the money.  If he gets out played in TC , I'd guess they would save the money.   

2 minutes ago, Jets1958 said:

Jeudy runs a 4.40 - not shabby at all and is the best route runner in a decade.

Jerry Rice's fastest time was 4.45

I dont know where " the best route runner in a decade" comes from but if true, thats huge.  Most college WRs take a year or more to learn the pro route tree and dont contribute as much their first year.

• Upvote 1

I really hope LT is the choice.  If the Jets are drafting in the 10-15 range and feel that the best 2-3 LT they wanted are gone, consider C (Biadsz?) or trade down a few slots. 

LT and C are the lynchpins of any OL (RT is next most important). We want the Jets to be very good at those positions, not just okay, like the last real good Jets lines that were built with Brick and Mangold.

Look to plug G from free agency, and try to sign one really good one, not two JAGs. Two holdovers from this year will probably start next year (RT and G), unless another drafted OL wins a job early on. 

15 minutes ago, Jets1958 said:

Jeudy runs a 4.40 - not shabby at all and is the best route runner in a decade.

Jerry Rice's fastest time was 4.45

We drafted an overrated Bama prospect in the first round last year. I'll pass this year. We need Thomas, Wirfs, or Biadasz in the first.

3 minutes ago, TNJet said:

We drafted an overrated Bama prospect in the first round last year. I'll pass this year. We need Thomas, Wirfs, or Biadasz in the first.

I guess you would have passed on Julio Jones and Amari Copper too, right? some more overrated Bama prospects - I get it.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

I dont know where " the best route runner in a decade" comes from but if true, thats huge.  Most college WRs take a year or more to learn the pro route tree and dont contribute as much their first year.

Simply put, Jeudy is the best wide receiver prospect since AJ Green and Julio Jones in 2011. He’s a special talent, thus he will be one of the most exciting players in the NFL for the next decade. The sexy NFL comparison for Jeudy is Cleveland Browns’ Odell Beckham Jr.

First, he is a pristine route runner, highlighted by the rare ability to stop-and-start fluidly. Second, he is a big play waiting to happen, coupled with his ability to create yards after the catch.

In my initial 2020 NFL Mock Draft, I had Jeudy being selected number-three overall by the Washington Redskins.

Due to his extreme polish, Jeudy won’t face the learning curve that traditionally hamper rookie wide receivers. Want bold? When all the smoke clears, Juedy will be a top-5 draft selection and will go on to have a Hall of Fame career.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2020-nfl-draft-jerry-jeudy-leads-rare-receiver-class/