Your first worst Jets memorable moment?

BP

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

Mud bowl

Was gonna say that, but then gave it a bit more thought.  I am old enough to have seen the SB.  Most of the 70s were low expectations, but seeing Joe in a Rams uniform marked the end of an era.  These weren't the Jets of my youth anymore.

Image result for joe namath rams

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I’ll start.
1981 home playoff game against the Bills at Shea. I’m at the game with my brother and the crowd was louder than any other game I’ve ever been to at Shea.
opening kickoff is fumbled by Bruce Harper and run in for a bills TD lol total silence in the stadium immediately. Todd follows on the next possession with an interception and the bills offense scores on the ensuing drive. Jets eventually get down 24-0
The Jets make it 24-10 and have the ball first and goal from the 8. They run behind fields and Alexander to the 1 yard line. Here comes my first ever wtf Jets moments. They call some kind of trick play where they have everybody line up all the way on one side of the field. Play clock ran down and todd called time out. They come out of the timeout and call the same ******* play! Bills were ready and jets settled for a fg. They wound up losing the game 31-27 lol todd was intercepted like 5 times..but after that game if I ever watched a game with my dad and they had a first and goal he would say “are the Jets gonna call that stupid play where all the guys are lined up on one side”?
of course the next time was the 10-1 start in 86 when McGuire predicted they would lose their last 5 games of the season, and they did. It just makes you numb after a while.
Merry Christmas!

I will never ever forget that mcguire comment. Still makes me sick. That correct bastard

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

4 hours ago, BP said:

I’ll start.

1981 home playoff game against the Bills at Shea. I’m at the game with my brother and the crowd was louder than any other game I’ve ever been to at Shea.

opening kickoff is fumbled by Bruce Harper and run in for a bills TD lol total silence in the stadium immediately. Todd follows on the next possession with an interception and the bills offense scores on the ensuing drive. Jets eventually get down 24-0

The Jets make it 24-10 and have the ball first and goal from the 8. They run behind fields and Alexander to the 1 yard line. Here comes my first ever wtf Jets moments. They call some kind of trick play where they have everybody line up all the way on one side of the field. Play clock ran down and todd called time out. They come out of the timeout and call the same ******* play! Bills were ready and jets settled for a fg. They wound up losing the game 31-27 lol todd was intercepted like 5 times..but after that game if I ever watched a game with my dad and they had a first and goal he would say “are the Jets gonna call that stupid play where all the guys are lined up on one side”?

of course the next time was the 10-1 start in 86 when McGuire predicted they would lose their last 5 games of the season, and they did. It just makes you numb after a while.

Merry Christmas!

I was 9 and I was devastated when Todd was picked off in the end zone to end the game. First of many heartbreaks

3 hours ago, BP said:

I’ll start.

Merry Christmas!

Funny. I remember that day as one of my better Jets memories. Sure they lost but it was very exciting as not only the first playoff games in years (and first ever that you weren't freezing at) but one of the better comeback efforts in their history.   I was very happy to have been there. They started out 0-3 so no one expected to be there after Christmas. We figured that the team was finally there and going to playoff games at Shea was going to be common place. No better time to be a season ticket holder. 

The again you said first "worst" moment. Mine was in December '65. Jets were at Oakland and that meant we could actually see it in TV (too young for tix). Jets were down 14-0 at half but had a couple of exciting plays to tie it in the third quarter.  Didn't matter that they were going to have a losing season. It's all we knew then, They get to the 4th quarter and Namath starts throwing stupid interceptions. One he just chucked it in the air deep in their own territory under a heavy rush right into Warren Powers hands. Then the Raiders scored and awhile later iced the game. One comes to the realization that Namath is just a human being not a god from Mt. Olympus.  Should have drafted Caerus instead (but got over it really fast)

At least that is the way I remember it. What probably happened was something like Jack Fisher giving up a 9th inning HR to Johnny Callison or something like that.  

The Mud Bowl was awful b/c I truly believe that, with a normal field condition, that the Jets win.  They had all that speed on offense on were on a roll.  

And it wasn't just bad luck with the weather. I recall reports that the Dolphins intentionally left the field uncovered during the rains before game day, resulting in the quagmire.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Was gonna say that, but then gave it a bit more thought.  I am old enough to have seen the SB.  Most of the 70s were low expectations, but seeing Joe in a Rams uniform marked the end of an era.  These weren't the Jets of my youth anymore.

Image result for joe namath rams

100% me too. I still remember crying in my Grandmas arms. She made me meatballs. It helped. 

4 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

The Heidi Bowl. When the tv coverage ended the Jets had a three point lead with less than two minutes to play. By time we got the radio on the Jets were losing by 11 as the Raiders scored two TDS in a matter of seconds.

That was my first as well.You’ll remember this horrible moment from the next year. We were defending champs and played the Chiefs at home in the first round of the playoffs. Early 4th Q trailing 6-3, we have first and goal at the 2. They stuff us, Jim Turner kicks a FG, and we lose 13-6.

91rKPFiSsiL._SX425_.jpg&key=6af1fa1ae02992f580bcbfb36160bf50d7e80beece46d7c60cf92b53fe365a10

after seeing Tom Seaver in a Reds uniform.
  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

The Jets make it 24-10 and have the ball first and goal from the 8. They run behind fields and Alexander to the 1 yard line. Here comes my first ever wtf Jets moments. They call some kind of trick play where they have everybody line up all the way on one side of the field. Play clock ran down and todd called time out. They come out of the timeout and call the same ******* play! Bills were ready and jets settled for a fg. They wound up losing the game 31-27 lol todd was intercepted like 5 times..but after that game if I ever watched a game with my dad and they had a first and goal he would say “are the Jets gonna call that stupid play where all the guys are lined up on one side”?

I was at that game also, sitting in a garbage bag in the rain in the front row on the 32 yard line.  I remember Todd throwing that interception to Bill Simpson in the end zone to end the Jets chances at winning.   I had been going to all the games for about 10 years at that point.  My dedication since has never waiverd  but unfortunately my suffering continues lol

3 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Having 2 Patriots fans whacked with a flying lawn mower about 2-300 feet from me and my father back in 79 (i think) was pretty messed up. Can it be anymore Jetsy? At least they won.

was there. went to piss then came back and the ambu was on the field...  only 1 died.

but losing to the aints in 1980 when after 2 8-8 years i thought we was primed to be GOOD

Joe Namath injuring his knee badly in a 1971 exhibition game against the Detroit Lions attempting to tackle a runner. I was 10 years old and remember feeling my stomach drop and the nausea increase as I saw him go down. He was out for the entire season. It's been downhill mostly since then.

• Upvote 2

The only game I’ve ever attended was in 2004 or 2005. The Jets travelled to Sun Devil stadium to take on the Cardinals. My fiance bought two tickets for us. Quincy Carter started that game. The Jets ended up winning a snoozefest 13-3, but I never got to see the ending because I ended up in a fist fight defending my fiance from a fellow Jet fan. Not my proudest moment, but that dude got too physical and I couldn’t let him get away with being a horrible individual.  

haven’t been to a game since.

12 hours ago, Joe Willie said:

Joe Namath injuring his knee badly in a 1971 exhibition game against the Detroit Lions attempting to tackle a runner. I was 10 years old and remember feeling my stomach drop and the nausea increase as I saw him go down. He was out for the entire season. It's been downhill mostly since then.

I remember the same feeling...   I remember exactly where I was when that happened. At my uncle's house in Monroe New York....that's how traumatic it was...

I don't know why, but i cried after this game more than any other - it was a Monday night football game, and Riggins had held out in the preseason, and showed up for the first game of the season, on this Monday night game, with a Mohekan haircut. Anyway, I loved  Riggins, and he had a rare fumble that game, and the Jets lost, and I cried myself to bed that Monday night. Does anybody remember this? Am I mixing traumatic events here? 

Joe must go!! Green slime in the NY newspapers of the late 80's was pretty rough. Gastineau's cheap shot on Bernie Kosar in the 1986 divisional playoffs that started the Jets on an epic collapse losing in double overtime was really heartbreaking. Especially knowing the Jets would have faced Denver the following week. The Jets kicked the sh*t out of Denver during the regular season on Monday night. Went into halftime beating Denver 24-0.