Cimini is a duntz

kevinc855

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Other than for signatures, cursive handwriting in 2020 is both useless and stupid.  And be assured, no bank is actually looking at your signature or evaluating it for validity anyway, so even that limited use is mostly for appearances.

Also stupid.  Technology is a tool, nothing more, nothing less.  You still have to know how to use the tool to get to the right answer. 

I'll take a guy who knows Excel inside and out over a guy who can do longhand long division. 

Are you seriously asking what has been invested since 1965 (i.e. post-Boomers)?

Answer:  Alot.  And more every day.

Hey Warfish I wasn't sh*tting on technology I was trying to make a point.

Learning cursive and long division by hand expands your mind and intelligence and work habits. I wasn't being an advocate of violence or guns and war. I was simply trying to state of the newer generation has lost a lot of emphasis on building character and culture. Yes technology is a tool. It's an advantage of excess. Kind of like having Bell on the Jets right now.

Remember the great blackout of 2003? That was 2 weeks after my son was born. Excel would be useless and so were microwaves and electric and cell phones! Obviously no internet at all!

If you weren't a man and didn't know how to take care of your family without that stuff than you were f****** screwed. No heat no fire no refrigerators and no communication.

So what happens when there is no calculator,  no cell phones, no heat or electric microwaves for Hot Pockets? Maybe you actually have to cook or hunt and fish and change a tire with your own damn hands? Maybe even write a letter? Life exists far beyond your opinion on a computer screen where you're untouchable.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Why does anyone read this old boomers stuff anymore. He’s got SOJF written all over him. 

Getting rid of Robby, the marquise player for sams Rythm And qbs development be a cimini aka duntz move. Remember this is the guy who used to gush over Fitzpatrick. At least he didn’t go full on old white boomer SOJF tho and thinks we should retain Adams. 

My prediction by the way, all 3 are back. Take it to the bank. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/82077/why-jets-should-be-prepared-to-move-on-from-leveon-bell-robby-anderson

For clarity, please post an approved list of Jets boomer opinions next to a list of millennial opinions.  Just to make sure that everyone stays in their respective lane.

Thanks in advance.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Learning cursive and long division by hand expands your mind and intelligence and work habits. I wasn't being an advocate of violence or guns and war. I was simply trying to state of the newer generation has lost a lot of emphasis on building character and culture. Yes technology is a tool. It's an advantage of excess. Kind of like having Bell on the Jets right now.

Remember the great blackout of 2003? That was 2 weeks after my son was born. Excel would be useless and so were microwaves and electric and cell phones! Obviously no internet at all!

If you weren't a man and didn't know how to take care of your family without that stuff than you were f****** screwed. No heat no fire no refrigerators and no communication.

So what happens when there is no calculator,  no cell phones, no heat or electric microwaves for Hot Pockets? Maybe you actually have to cook or hunt and fish and change a tire with your own damn hands? Maybe even write a letter? Life exists far beyond your opinion on a computer screen where you're untouchable.

Quick question: did you grow up in a heated or air conditioned home with running water where you slept on a mattress and defecated in a toilet and frequented work and other places using something other than your legs?

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

Milenials who have been fighting America longest war aka Afghanistan and the stupidest war aka Iraq are wimps? Right 

Oh yeah the vast majority of the millennial population is doing that 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Lol really? 

More about a generation of unmotivated whiney slackers that chose to be poor. 

Hey at least you guys have ps4s and reddit. So thats something to build on

This is spectacularly ill-informed, even by JN standards.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

55 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

This always intrigued me. So the only way for men to be men is to go out and hold a gun and kill each other, be violent, call each other names, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

That's actually not  what I said. Our common culture, does not emphasize building character the way it used to. I was referencing the sacrifices men made many years ago it was not about advocating war or shooting people.

However, long before you could order food on GrubHub or curse somebody out on a forum you actually had to work with your hands and do for yourself. If you were disrespectful or smug you might get punched in your face LOL! 

My reference was the changes I've seen over time. And I have three sons and a daughter now so I have experience. My Grandfather was dropped at Normandy and got a Bronze Star. My father was in the Air Force on the border of Russia during Vietnam protecting our country, and my brother was in the Army in Iraq. 

The main point was I work with a lot of people many of them young men in their  early 20s to be specific. And they're basically helpless. None of them can change their own oil, change a flat tire or start a fire. They do not know how to sew a rip in their pants and can't cook at all. In fact it's not even an option they do not know how to survive without their cell phone or their ATM card.

it's actually pretty scary. they're like helpless sitting ducks with attitudes LOL

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Learning cursive and long division by hand expands your mind and intelligence and work habits.

Just to be clear, learning cursive does nothing different than learning any other outdated thing, like shoeing horses or retreading old shoes.  Long Division, conceptually, is good.  Most folks get it in their early education in the U.S. Doing it long form manually is unnecessary in a technological world, and even in a sci-fi world where all tech is lost, it's a skill that if understood conceptually, could easily be re-learned manually if needed.  .

In neither case does it relate to "work habits" in any way I can see.  People still learn plenty of "hard stuff" today that can help instill good work habits.

I wasn't being an advocate of violence or guns and war. I was simply trying to state of the newer generation has lost a lot of emphasis on building character and culture.

They have plenty of character and culture, just not the same character and culture older generations had.  They value different things.  They know more, and less, depending on how you choose to look at it.  

Yes technology is a tool. It's an advantage of excess. 

Power outages end, and I doubt there were any long division and script writing emergencies that couldn't wait during that blackout, lol.

So what happens when there is no calculator,  no cell phones, no heat or electric microwaves for Hot Pockets? Maybe you actually have to cook or hunt and fish and change a tire with your own damn hands? Maybe even write a letter?

I think you vastly over-rate the pre-1950's ideal of what a "man" is.  And I say that as one who did all the trad. stuff, played sports, hunted, fished, worked in a warehouse, with my hands, etc. and more.  You're espousing a fossilized ideal of manhood, with an odd emphasis on a scenario (no tech) that will only come about in a total global apocalypse ffs.  Be assured, if we go ballsup tomorrow, millennials will learn to fish, or hunt, neither is all that hard tbqh.

We have tech, our species has made advancements, no reason not to enjoy it.  It also allows individuals to hyperspecialize in other things, now that the basics are covered.  I bet your glad your doctors have tech, and don;t act like 1950's doctors, after all.

Life exists far beyond your opinion on a computer screen where you're untouchable.

I have no idea what this is trying to say.  /shrug  

21 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Quick question: did you grow up in a heated or air conditioned home with running water where you slept on a mattress and defecated in a toilet and frequented work and other places using something other than your legs?

Yes of course I did! But my point is is that I can survive without any of that. thank you for helping me prove my point! Awesome!

1 hour ago, slats said:

The article has Anderson asking for $14M/year (too rich for my blood), and Jamal Adams "probably wanting to be the highest paid strong safety," (no source cited) at $15M/year. At those numbers, you have to start looking past both players. 

Robby: Pass even at 8mil

Jamal: You don’t let him hit FA even at 15mil

1 hour ago, slats said:

Cimini says Joe Douglas wanted a first and two seconds for Adams, and if someone wants to pony that up, that's hard to pass up. Fans want JD to fix this team thru the draft. Me too. Realistically, how many rookies can we really expect to make an impact in their first year? Cashman and Austin were nice finds from Mac last year, but that's not the norm. After the third round, you're drafting special teamers and developmental guys. Jets have a first, second and two thirds coming up. Big, big difference between that and two firsts, three seconds, and two thirds. I recognize that Jamal is a great player, but Rontez Miles could step right in and do most of what Adams does, and those three high picks could really help fix the OL, WRs, and pass rush. 

if you think Rontez can most of what Jamal can, I won’t go any further into a debate besides saying we keep Jamal. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

He also has the best case scenario in a Bell trade being a fourth round pick, and that would be with the Jets agreeing to eat a chunk of that contract. I'm sure JD will shop him, but he could easily decide that they're better off keeping him for the year. 

Bell isn’t going anywhere in 2020. No one will offer the moon and what’s the point if we pay like 10mil of his salary to trade him for a 4th rounder?

That's actually not  what I said. Our common culture, does not emphasize building character the way it used to. I was referencing the sacrifices men made many years ago it was not about advocating war or shooting people.
However, long before you could order food on GrubHub or curse somebody out on a forum you actually had to work with your hands and do for yourself. If you were disrespectful or smug you might get punched in your face LOL! 
My reference was the changes I've seen over time. And I have three sons and a daughter now so I have experience. My Grandfather was dropped at Normandy and got a Bronze Star. My father was in the Air Force on the border of Russia during Vietnam protecting our country, and my brother was in the Army in Iraq. 
The main point was I work with a lot of people many of them young men in their  early 20s to be specific. And they're basically helpless. None of them can change their own oil, change a flat tire or start a fire. They do not know how to sew a rip in their pants and can't cook at all. In fact it's not even an option they do not know how to survive without their cell phone or their ATM card.
it's actually pretty scary. they're like helpless sitting ducks with attitudes LOL

Some I agree, some I don’t. It’s a different world. We don’t use our hands as much. We were raised as such, told we must go to college in order to be something. We were taken away from trades and pushed into subservient corporate jobs that if you’re lucky will pay you just enough to pay off a college loan and a mortgage in a lifetime of work. It’s easy to blame the generation, but they are serving exactly what they were told to serve, and our economy and social structure has made it harder and harder for new workers to go on their own and own their own life.

Conversely, they also live in an age where their entire life is and will be documented. Every stupid decision, every mistake will haunt their entire life because we don’t forgive, and now we don’t forget. They will never escape their misgivings, and therefor must walk on eggshells their entire life. An entirely different stress than we had, but a very real and valid one.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Just to be clear, learning cursive does nothing different than learning any other outdated thing, like shoeing horses or retreading old shoes.  Long Division, conceptually, is good.  Most folks get it in their early education in the U.S. Doing it long form manually is unnecessary in a technological world, and even in a sci-fi world where all tech is lost, it's a skill that if understood conceptually, could easily be re-learned manually if needed.  .

In neither case does it relate to "work habits" in any way I can see.  People still learn plenty of "hard stuff" today that can help instill good work habits.

They have plenty of character and culture, just not the same character and culture older generations had.  They value different things.  They know more, and less, depending on how you choose to look at it.  

Power outages end, and I doubt there were any long division and script writing emergencies that couldn't wait during that blackout, lol.

I think you vastly over-rate the pre-1950's ideal of what a "man" is.  And I say that as one who did all the trad. stuff, played sports, hunted, fished, worked in a warehouse, with my hands, etc. and more.  You're espousing a fossilized ideal of manhood, with an odd emphasis on a scenario (no tech) that will only come about in a total global apocalypse ffs.  Be assured, if we go ballsup tomorrow, millennials will learn to fish, or hunt, neither is all that hard tbqh.

We have tech, our species has made advancements, no reason not to enjoy it.  It also allows individuals to hyperspecialize in other things, now that the basics are covered.  I bet your glad your doctors have tech, and don;t act like 1950's doctors, after all.

I have no idea what this is trying to say.  /shrug  

Dude at this point it's just all about being a smart-ass? Touche my good man! I made a statement on the difference in generations and my view of millennials. it is not all encompassing.

5 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Dude at this point it's just all about being a smart-ass? Touche my good man!

Not a thing written above was done so with the intentions of being a "smart ass". 

Paradigm shifts are tough for some folks, and change is never easy for those hard-set in their old ways and thinking.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Because I am a woke Gen Xer, I’d trade Jamal Adams in a millisecond and I wouldn’t give Anderson more than $10 mil per unless he puts on 15 pounds.

If Anderson is not going to live in the gym (hopefully as will Fat Daddy Q) he can go elsewhere, period.

I have no problem with this column. Simply the kind of thing a beat writer has to write when the team isn't going to the playoffs. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Problem is once the tech goes and the world enters chaos, it also won't matter much if you know how to do those things UNLESS you have lots of guns and ammo and can adequately defend the resources you have.  Living off the land is great until some group of marauders comes and takes everything from you.  

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Problem is once the tech goes and the world enters chaos, it also won't matter much if you know how to do those things UNLESS you have lots of guns and ammo and can adequately defend the resources you have.  Living off the land is great until some group of marauders comes and takes everything from you.  

^ Freaking millenial. If you've got fists, you don't need guns or ammo or technology. Real men beat nukes with fists. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

He absolutely can. He can stuff the run, cover TEs, that sort of thing. Jamal is a great player, but NFL teams don't need great strong safeties to compete for championships, and the Jets are too devoid of talent everywhere to start thinking about spending $15M/year for one. 

If you can get a first and two seconds (as the article suggests JD was looking for), you take the deal and run. Miles doing a comfortable 85% of what Jamal does, and three top 50 type talents from the draft to bolster the offense. And $15M/year in cap space available down the road to further improve the roster. 

If its pay Jamal 15 or pay Robbie 14, i say offense. just my dos centavos.

5 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Prediction: Anderson will sign with his hometown Miami Dolphins, where he will reunite with former receivers coach Karl Dorrell.

I don't see Anderson as a No 1 WR. He wants wayyyy too much money for his production. Jets have made this mistake before with Mo Wilkerson and should NOT repeat it. I agree with Cimini that Bell will be gone and so will Robby with Adams staying for the long haul.