Should There Be a Playoff Mandate in 2020

CrazyCarl40

Playoff Mandate 2020  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a Playoff Mandate in 2020

15 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Many here think this is a playoff roster if not for injuries and that this late season “surge” is the needle pointing up. So. Should Chris Johnson mandate the playoffs in 2020 or not?

Chris Johnson should say absolutely nothing publicly.

Privately, Ownership should make it clear to Douglas and Gase:  a winning season and competing late in the year for a playoff berth is absolutely required.  No excuses.

Seems pretty simple.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Playoff mandate not needed.  We're 11-5 caliber right now. 

It's really a matter of whether or not a division title is a mandate, and honestly that depends upon Brady and Bellichick's disposition when they're ousted from the playoffs in the second round.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 2

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Playoff mandate not needed.  We're 11-5 caliber right now. 

It's really a matter of whether or not a division title is a mandate, and honestly that depends upon Brady and Bellichick's disposition when they're ousted from the playoffs in the second round.

SAR I

11-5 thing is embellishment. Rest of it is pretty good. 

2 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Playoff mandate? I mean, are you gonna fire Gase if they go 10-6 and miss the playoffs on a tiebreaker?

I do think that next year should be a winning season if the QB stays healthy. No excuses on that. If they win 6-7 games next year that's fire-able.

yes. moronic.

• Thumb Down 1

34 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Privately, Ownership should make it clear to Douglas and Gase:  a winning season and competing late in the year for a playoff berth is absolutely required.  No excuses.

Seems pretty simple.

This.

No point in saying anything publicly. Just becomes a headline/distraction.

And I wouldn't go as far as to say they have to make the playoffs because you never know -- teams have gone 11-5 and missed it, you could be on the cusp then suffer an injury to Darnold, etc. But there's no excuse not to have a winning team and be competing in December.

2 minutes ago, TNJet said:

There's no reason whatsoever, barring injuries, that we can't win 10 games next season. Improvements are on their way. After this Sunday's victory we will have 7 on this disastrous season too.

The Gase Excuse Army will have their list 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

A tougher schedule, a pile of drafted rookies, Adam Gase as coach.

This is very far from a playoff team and the owner is lead around by the nose by his employees.

We really missed an opportunity to finally make the playoffs this year with an easy schedule 

I’m worried next year is a sh tfest 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:
Image result for what?????  gifs

38 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

11-5 thing is embellishment. Rest of it is pretty good. 

This team, if healthy, right now would be the #5 seed and we'd be knocking the Bills out of the playoffs on Sunday.  Looking forward to next season when we get to do it for real. 

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I voted “other”

i think the mandate should be to have a winning season.

if the team wins 10 games and doesn’t make the playoffs, I can’t go crazy 

This is fair. Everyone has different parameters for success. I think playoffs for this team would be success, because it’s been almost a decade. I’d be okay with marked improvement next year. What I’m not on board for is another .500 season with mixed bag results from Darnold. 

2 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I don't believe in playoffs mandates.  What if they go 11-5 and don't qualify? What if they are decimated with injuries.  The only mandate is that he gets the most out of talent available.

There’s a better chance the sun collides with Mars than the jets going 11-5 next year

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Many here think this is a playoff roster if not for injuries and that this late season “surge” is the needle pointing up. So. Should Chris Johnson mandate the playoffs in 2020 or not?

Just so I can clear the air on where I stand...

I do NOT think this is a playoff roster. Not even close. In fact, it's one of the LEAST talented rosters I've ever seen. However, given how many additions Mac made through FA, another spending spree about to happen in March 2020, a supposedly good drafting GM, and a terrible bunch of misfits winning 6 or 7 games, I see no reason why the playoffs should not be an EXPECTATION next season? Especially for a experienced HC like Gase. If we've truly got the right people in place AND this roster just won 6 or 7 games in 2019. A 2 game improvement over 2019 is well within reason. That puts us at 9-7 or 10-6. Those records are normally playoff records.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, SAR I said:

This team, if healthy, right now would be the #5 seed and we'd be knocking the Bills out of the playoffs on Sunday.  Looking forward to next season when we get to do it for real. 

SAR I

If I had balls I’d be King.

—The Queen

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Seems pretty simple.

Seriously? Douglas hasn’t even had one offseason as GM and you want to put a playoff mandate on him?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Seriously? Douglas hasn’t even had one offseason as GM and you want to put a playoff mandate on him?

Douglas has a 6 year deal; he's not getting fired no matter what. Gase, however... if this team doesn't have a winning record next year I think he has to be on the hot seat.

19 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Jets won’t make the playoffs next year.  The Johnsons and most of the fan base will still say Gase is doing a good job

there will be a new excuse.  The schedule had too many games on the west coast, Bell quit mid season etc, idzik’s draft

Capture.jpg

49ers fan in 2017:  "Shanahan sucks!  Last place?  His playcalling is abysmal.  Fire him!  Fire Shanahan!"

49ers fan in 2018:  "Shanahan sucks!  From 6 wins down to 4?  His playcalling is abysmal.  Fire him!  Fire Shanahan!"

49ers fan in 2019:  "Shanahan rocks!  First place?  His playcalling is unprecedented.  Extend him!  Extend Shanahan!"

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I would be happy with a "mandate" not to lose to hapless, hopeless, winless teams, also to ask the league to keep us off of National TV where we are a National embarrassment at least once if not twice or thrice a season, and for god's sakes, have at least a winning record once before 2050.