Grading Jets 2017 Draft Class…or What’s Left of it

JetNation

19 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Amazing that every time someone mentions Macc as the worst GM of all-time, Matt Millen is the only name that gets thrown out.  

Its pretty sad that, objectively, Macc is probably the 2nd worst GM in the NFL salary cap era.  Yes, he was THAT bad.

Jets had two of the worst three ever GMs in a row. Doesn’t really matter who was the absolute worst.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Jets has two of the worst three ever GMs in a row. Doesn’t really matter who was the absolute worst.

You could go back to all of those draft threads & Jet fans were right all the time compared to that knucklehead Macc. 

The concensus was Deshaun Watson should have been the pick for the Jets! A lot of us had already been sick & tired of all of our drafts being defense. 

Had Macc drafted Watson, Cook fell right into their laps in the 2nd round but nooooo, Bowles was still trying to rebuild his Arizona defense. 

So, if we had a real GM, like Ozzie, the Jets would now have Watson, Cook as a RB, & all of their picks in 2018 to build the Oline, they wouldn't have had to sign Bell to all of that money & the rebuild would have been much faster. 

But, none of those things occurred, Macc didn't make the right choices but thankfully, we finally have a QB to build around. Those are the 3 positives going forward, Macc is out, we have Sam, and Joe Douglas prowess seems to jibe with our needs, Oline, WRs, Edge, CB. It's all about him now targeting the right players at those positions of need. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun, and the worst scout's eye in pro football.

Now that’s some good marketing right there. We still remember that song from the 80’s.

Kinda like the nighttime sniffling sneezing coughing stuffy head fever so you can rest medicine.

Go jets!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Johnsons didn't have to listen to him.  But since they're completely incompetent they'll take advice from anybody. 

Like they did with Peyton Manning prior to hiring Gase.  

And like they did when Paul Tagliabue told them to hire Herm.

Or like they did when Korn Ferry told them to hire Idzik.  

Like everyone did here, when everyone was doing cartwheels celebrating the Macc and Bowles hires?

Wasn't there a thread proclaiming how lucky we were to get both?

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Your point? Ownership is supposed to have enough connections to make quality hires. We’re just fans.

My point is if you’re going to complain that we’re picked foolishly you shouldn’t have danced all over the board proclaiming how good they were and how lucky we were when they were hired. 

The complaint that an HC or GM assistant should have been vetted by connections, like Wolf and Caserly is pretty funny given that’s exactly what you wanted the process to be and what WJ did.

My point is if you’re going to complain that we’re picked foolishly you shouldn’t have danced all over the board proclaiming how good they were and how lucky we were when they were hired. 

The complaint that an HC or GM assistant should have been vetted by connections, like Wolf and Caserly is pretty funny given that’s exactly what you wanted the process to be and what WJ did.

What are you talking about? I had no opinion on Macc at the time. I did like Bowles though.

Fan opinion on a hire at the time has no bearing on whether the process is a good one. We had no idea Macc was about to be fired by Houston at the time.

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We had no idea Macc was about to be fired by Houston at the time.

I keep reading this here on this site, never seen it anywhere else, do we know this to be true? Or is it a legend that became fact? For our sake I hope it’s the latter because he was probably the worst jet employee of all time 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What are you talking about? I had no opinion on Macc at the time. I did like Bowles though.

Fan opinion on a hire at the time has no bearing on whether the process is a good one. We had no idea Macc was about to be fired by Houston at the time.

The whole board went nuts over Macc and Bowles.  We all saw it.  The thread is long and hysterical.  Come on

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

“The whole board” did not go nuts. Many/most did. Not all.

And who cares? Again, we’re not the ones making decisions.

I don’t care

Just find it interesting. Especially the part deflected.  That WJ did exactly what you said should be done.  

Use his contacts to get recommendations for HC and GM.  I didn’t quite get that part 

I don’t care

Just find it interesting. Especially the part deflected.  That WJ did exactly what you said should be done.  

Use his contacts to get recommendations for HC and GM.  I didn’t quite get that part 

While parsing out the dumb advice from the smart advice. Not taking a call from Peyton then hiring your # 3/4 option as your HC based on that call. Or taking Charlie Casserly’s word as gospel. Etc.

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

While parsing out the dumb advice from the smart advice. Not taking a call from Peyton then hiring your # 3/4 option as your HC based on that call. Or taking Charlie Casserly’s word as gospel. Etc.

Ok, Wolf, a great GM along with the well regarded Casserly, SB winners etc and now it was on Woody to ignore their recommendations?  I mean, come on, you're spinning pretty good now.  

And the call from Peyton was why Gase was hired?  And of course he was the #3/4 option?  Says who?  LOL, enjoy today's game.

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Ok, Wolf, a great GM along with the well regarded Casserly, SB winners etc and now it was on Woody to ignore their recommendations?  I mean, come on, you're spinning pretty good now.  

And the call from Peyton was why Gase was hired?  And of course he was the #3/4 option?  Says who?  LOL, enjoy today's game.

on paper, MAC looked like a good hire.   I really don’t fault Woody there. But MAC was arguably as bad as Idzik.  

5 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I'll take Adams over Watson every day .. 

Oh come on now.  Be reasonable.

Remember, its not just Adams and Darnold vs Watson.  It's Adams and Darnold vs. Watson PLUS the three 2nd rounders back PLUS whoever we would have taken in the 1st round at our draft slot (let's say middle of the 1st with Watson as our QB).