PLayers vs Coaches

Losmeister

Sick n tired of attributing the players performance so directly to the coach.

How many OC's have Pats had w/ Brady? How many teams did Favre look good for?

OBJ makes insane one handed grabs b/c ...his coach?

Lamar is a product of his coach? So Pettino is HOF?

Barry Sanders looked great on a sh*t team cos of his coach?

Peyton mannning was MVP on 2 teams cos of his coach?

Joey Harrington coulda been a real high quality QB except for his coach, ditto, David Carr?

Thomas Jones was a good RB in Chicago and Ny Jets cos he had the right coaches?

BALLERS BALL even on bad teams.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 5
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Sick n tired of attributing the players performance so directly to the coach.

How many OC's have Pats had w/ Brady? How many teams did Favre look good for?

OBJ makes insane one handed grabs b/c ...his coach?

Lamar is a product of his coach? So Pettino is HOF?

Barry Sanders looked great on a sh*t team cos of his coach?

Peyton mannning was MVP on 2 teams cos of his coach?

Joey Harrington coulda been a real high quality QB except for his coach, ditto, David Carr?

Thomas Jones was a good RB in Chicago and Ny Jets cos he had the right coaches?

BALLERS BALL even on bad teams.

Ok

• Upvote 1

I apologise that my question isn’t really related to this topic but I didn’t think my question warranted its own thread. Being new to American football, I’ve been struck by how separate the defence and offence units seem to be. Do both units and the special teams spend much time together? Do the coaches of each unit spend much time talking or do they stick with their own people? Would a position coach on the offence be cranky if a defensive coach had an idea to improve one of the offensive players? 

• Sympathy 1

I agree on certain things.  Yes you can’t put all the blame on the coach that’s fair.  In the end players have to perform. However coaches can still have a positive or negative impact on a players development.  More than anything you need talent around you too.  I give Baltimore and Buffallo credit because they built very good teams around their young QB’s to help make their life easier.  Hopefully Douglas does that for Sam 

4 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Yes you can’t put all the blame on the coach that’s fair.  In the end players have to perform. However coaches can still have a positive or negative impact on a players development.

This.

I have also said repeatedly and quoted Sam. He seems an accountable guy who wants to get better.

Doesnt NEEED Jetnation to make him into a friggin MAMON!

4 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

This.

I have also said repeatedly and quoted Sam. He seems an accountable guy who wants to get better.

Doesnt NEEED Jetnation to make him into a friggin MAMON!

Nobody is saying anything otherwise.  However you also need help around you like the other young QBs have

2 minutes ago, MS jets Fan said:

Hope Williams stays on.  

I like Hines Ward hope they keep him. 

They have to keep Bryant for special teams

No really a Dowell Loggains fan don't even know what he actually does when Gase calls the plays.  

Well we will find out what the Joe D off season plan is

Hines Ward seems to really enjoy what he’s doing. Like to see him stay.

• Upvote 1

Stud players don't need a lot of coaching.  Problem is, we have precious few of those.  So, yeah, coaches help make the difference for a team like us.  For good teams, they make a difference for the middle-lower part of the roster.  Meanwhile, a handful of elite coaches (Belichick, Tomlin, Harbaugh, Reid) almost always have their teams in contention.

Jimmy's and the Joe's always mean more than X's and O's at the highest level of the sport.  But this isn't the MLB, where more and more the decisions on the field are made by the front office.  Nor is it like the NBA, where players are basically the GM's and you can't win a title without 1 transcendent player (or 2) plus a great sidekick (or 2).  With a 45-man roster active on gameday, coaching is essential for everyone on the field who isn't a future HOFer. 

The only caveat is you either need an elite QB OR a good QB who can lift his team in the playoffs.  Very rarely do bad QB's get dragged to a title.  

• Upvote 1

The top people in any sport or field get there because they are talented, driven, and work hard. Does good coaching help them? Maybe with timeframe, but the best of the best will find a way to get to the top. 

However football is probably the worst of the major sports to try to make the argument that coaches don’t really influence the success of individual players. Too much roster churn and too many players play over the course of a season to even fathom arguing that a good coaching staff doesn’t matter.

Couple that in with high turnover in the coordinators and offensive and defensive systems being used year over year and less time since the last cba allotted for practice, and you have plenty of instances where coaches that make their systems easier to learn or easy to communicate have a decided edge. 

Heck, look at The ******* Jets and what Gregg Williams has accomplished with Depth players playing at starting positions and still ranking top ten in defense based on yards allowed. 

• Upvote 1