Young Stud QBs are all in the AFC

Jetster

The NFC has QBs propped up by having very good teams around them, Goff & Prescott. The old guard still rules in the NFC with Rogers, Wilson, Brees. Trubisky blows, Garapolo is pretty good. 

The AFC now has Mahomes, Jackson, Watson, Darnold, Allen, Mayfield & the Bengals will no doubt be taking hometown boy Joe Burrow & Miami will take Tua. So here we go again in the AFC East with a (Marino, Obrien, Kelly) type division & who knows what the Patriots will come up with at QB? Sam Darnold better be the answer or it'll be another decade of frustration for us Jet fans because getting to the Super Bowl from the AFC will be much harder than the NFC. 

When I look at where we might end up picking in this draft having Hebert on the board could be a trade back scenario. There are a lot of teams needing QBs. Chargers, Panthers, Bears?, Redskins, Steelers?, Indy?, Denver. Let us pray. We need more picks. 

• Haha 1

The NFC has Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Russell Wilson, Daniel Jones, Dak Prescott, Jimmy Garappolo, Kyler Murray,  Jameis Winston, and Dwayne Haskins. 

The reality is the QB position across the league is in better shape than it has been in it’s history. We are getting to point where there are more than 32 guys that are functional starters with the draft producing 2-3 guys a cycle who can play. Obviously the level of starter varies, but it’s a far cry from days past where you had to mortgage your future to try to find a capable QB. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

They’re young, sure, but even conservatively, yes I’d call Jackson Mahomes and Watson studs.

If a guy with a grandfather named Dick Hammer, isn't born to be a stud... then all those Marlboro billboards I saw as a kid were nothing but lies!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

And, Darnold, Allen, Mayfield, Burrow, and Tua?

Obviously not, but your initial comment was really just to trigger the Darnold contingency, no?

I just think the OP’s point stands. Even conservatively, there are 3 young studs in the AFC, and based on draft capital alone, the potential for a whole bunch more.

1 hour ago, SummerofSam14 said:

The NFC has Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Russell Wilson, Daniel Jones, Dak Prescott, Jimmy Garappolo, Kyler Murray,  Jameis Winston, and Dwayne Haskins. 

The reality is the QB position across the league is in better shape than it has been in it’s history. We are getting to point where there are more than 32 guys that are functional starters with the draft producing 2-3 guys a cycle who can play. Obviously the level of starter varies, but it’s a far cry from days past where you had to mortgage your future to try to find a capable QB. 

Goff has an Oline like the Jets had in 2009/2010, just slightly below. Wentz had a tremendous Oline. Wilson is really the guy that does it on his own now.  Garrapolo has good experience coming from the Pats & having a top notch creative coach. Prescott has a top 2 Oline.

Point was with Burrow going to Cincy, the AFC definitely has the top young QBs going forward. No young QB has done more with less than Darnold. 

Watson has Hopkins & Fuller

Mahomes has Hill, Watkins & Kelsey

Jackson has a awesome Oline, Ingram, & 3 really good TEs starting with Andrews (plus a top defense).

Mayfield has Chubb, OBJ, Landry, Higgins. 

Allen has a rebuilt Oline & a top 3 defense. 

* All of Darnolds contemporaries are working with much more around them. Football is the ULTIMATE team sport. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Goff has an Oline like the Jets had in 2009/2010, just slightly below. Wentz had a tremendous Oline. Wilson is really the guy that does it on his own now.  Garrapolo has good experience coming from the Pats & having a top notch creative coach. Prescott has a top 2 Oline.

Point was with Burrow going to Cincy, the AFC definitely has the top young QBs going forward. No young QB has done more with less than Darnold. 

Watson has Hopkins & Fuller

Mahomes has Hill, Watkins & Kelsey

Jackson has a awesome Oline, Ingram, & 3 really good TEs starting with Andrews (plus a top defense).

Mayfield has Chubb, OBJ, Landry, Higgins. 

Allen has a rebuilt Oline & a top 3 defense. 

* All of Darnolds contemporaries are working with much more around them. Football is the ULTIMATE team sport. 

Absolutely, but that’s the nature of the position.  The QB often time gets too much blame and too much credit. 

I will say beyond talent Mayfield and Darnold are getting some of the worst coaching the league has to offer. It’s almost like the NFL challenged the Jets and the Browns by giving them two terrific QB prospects to ruin. 

I watch what the Eagles do with Wentz and think that type of play calling would be perfect for Darnold, but what do I know? 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, SummerofSam14 said:

Absolutely, but that’s the nature of the position.  The QB often time gets too much blame and too much credit. 

I will say beyond talent Mayfield and Darnold are getting some of the worst coaching the league has to offer. It’s almost like the NFL challenged the Jets and the Browns by giving them two terrific QB prospects to ruin. 

I watch what the Eagles do with Wentz and think that type of play calling would be perfect for Darnold, but what do I know? 

As in Ken O'Brien's case.  Too much blame for not being Dan Marino.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

The NFC has QBs propped up by having very good teams around them, Goff & Prescott. The old guard still rules in the NFC with Rogers, Wilson, Brees. Trubisky blows, Garapolo is pretty good. 

The AFC now has Mahomes, Jackson, Watson, Darnold, Allen, Mayfield & the Bengals will no doubt be taking hometown boy Joe Burrow & Miami will take Tua. So here we go again in the AFC East with a (Marino, Obrien, Kelly) type division & who knows what the Patriots will come up with at QB? Sam Darnold better be the answer or it'll be another decade of frustration for us Jet fans because getting to the Super Bowl from the AFC will be much harder than the NFC. 

When I look at where we might end up picking in this draft having Hebert on the board could be a trade back scenario. There are a lot of teams needing QBs. Chargers, Panthers, Bears?, Redskins, Steelers?, Indy?, Denver. Let us pray. We need more picks. 

And the Dolphins have Nosen....lol

3 minutes ago, TNJet said:

And the Dolphins have Nosen....lol

Rosen was the easiest bust call of all time. And he would be a Jet if Giants took Darnold. That’s how bad Macc was. I had him rated after LJax (and every other QB in the class, not like I “called” LJax or anything).

2 hours ago, SummerofSam14 said:

Giving away your secret identity? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, jgb said:

Rosen was the easiest bust call of all time. And he would be a Jet if Giants took Darnold. That’s how bad Macc was. I had him rated after LJax (and every other QB in the class, not like I “called” LJax or anything).

The funny thing is that ALOT of Jet fans wanted Rosén from what I remember 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

The funny thing is that ALOT of Jet fans wanted Rosén from what I remember 

I remember that. Most thought Darnold wasn't even in the conversation. OMG, could you imagine if the Giants took Darnold?

I wonder what Macc would have done? He pretty much put in eggs in the QB basket. I actually think he would have taken Josh Allen over Rosen. Just because of the Wentz success. 

Not that I think Josh Allen is a bad player, I just think Darnold will be better when we fix this Oline. I think most of Darnolds "pocket" problems stem from getting his azz kicked in there & he just feels safer on the move. 

2 hours ago, SummerofSam14 said:

We can leave Winston and haskins off this list

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I remember that. Most thought Darnold wasn't even in the conversation. OMG, could you imagine if the Giants took Darnold?

I wonder what Macc would have done? He pretty much put in eggs in the QB basket. I actually think he would have taken Josh Allen over Rosen. Just because of the Wentz success. 

Not that I think Josh Allen is a bad player, I just think Darnold will be better when we fix this Oline. I think most of Darnolds "pocket" problems stem from getting his azz kicked in there & he just feels safer on the move. 

Macc would not be able to resist “NFL-ready” Rosen over “big arm QB with accuracy issues” Allen. The Hack whiff still stung too much.

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

Macc would not be able to resist “NFL-ready” Rosen over “big arm QB with accuracy issues” Allen. The Hack whiff still stung too much.

This is probably true. It was Darnold and Rosen as 1 and 1A pretty deep into the process. Can't imagine that disaster. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, slats said:

This is probably true. It was Darnold and Rosen as 1 and 1A pretty deep into the process. Can't imagine that disaster. 

We would be two years in arguing whether he can be fairly evaluated with such a poor OL. He’d be our starter three years running going into 2020...

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

We would be two years in arguing whether he can be fairly evaluated with such a poor OL. He’d be our starter three years running going into 2021...

He'd already be two concussions into his career, at least. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

Absolutely. He looked polished as hell. Won some big games. He was a projected top pick all his time at UCLA for good reason.

Honestly Rosen has bent dealt a raw deal his first 2 years. Drafted by the worst team in football, horrible offensive line and playmakers. Then gets traded to pretty much this year borderline worst team, with even less talent around him. Add in his scrapping of the offense he was trying to learn in AZ, gotta start over for Flores. I'd say he still might turn out yo be decent on the right team. Tough for any QB to deal with that type of start to their career.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Goin' right down the old QBase rankings list.  

Such a basic (math) b*tch.  

Lol, Darnold turnovers and lack of experiance/polish scared me. Neither guy was highly rated, Lamar was higher than both  

• Upvote 1