A 7-9 Record This Season...

4 minutes ago, The Gooch said:

Against one of the weakest schedules in the NFL!!!  Wait for next years, I only see 3 or 4 wins!!!!

Among Next year is dolphins twice, raiders; chargers, browns, broncos, Cardinals. Not one of those teams had a winning record this year. Rams may fall to 8-8 as well. I’m not to scared of the bills twice either 

• WTF? 1

18 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Is respectable given the circumstances.

Discuss.

On one hand, you have all the injuries and Sam's mono.

On another, you have a tremendously easy schedule and losses to the winless Bengals and Dolphins.  And in today's game you have a team resting all of their starters.  Had we beaten Buffalo in Week 1, and maybe taken one of those games against Miami/Cincy, we'd be be playing in a meaningful game right now for BOTH teams.  

"Circumstances" suggest I am neither happy with nor completely upset with the result of this season, whether we win today or not.  Vegas had the O/U for us at 7.5 wins before a down was played.  If I were a betting man I would have taken the under and won.  Hooray.

• Upvote 1

One has to look beyond records to see what a team is and what they can become.

A very good part of this year is that due to injuries and coaching we were able to give a lot of players playing time they would not have gotten.  Thus we know more about who can be starters and who need to be gone.

The defense under Gregg Williams very much overachieved.  Unfortunatly much like the Bowles regime, where the offenses over achieved and the defensive genius head coach sucked at his side of the ball we have the same thing only with Gase.

The head coach is an OC given the HC job and his offense scheme, play calling design and handling of our QB has done nothing at all to make me believe he will improve.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

On one hand, you have all the injuries and Sam's mono.

On another, you have a tremendously easy schedule and losses to the winless Bengals and Dolphins.  And in today's game you have a team resting all of their starters.  Had we beaten Buffalo in Week 1, and maybe taken one of those games against Miami/Cincy, we'd be be playing in a meaningful game right now for BOTH teams.  

"Circumstances" suggest I am neither happy with nor completely upset with the result of this season, whether we win today or not.  Vegas had the O/U for us at 7.5 wins before a down was played.  If I were a betting man I would have taken the under and won.  Hooray.

I think T0mShane said our O/U was 6.5 going into the season.  

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think T0mShane said our O/U was 6.5 going into the season.  

As usual, @T0mShane is wrong:

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nfl/2019-nfl-win-totals-betting-odds-vegas

New York Jets: 7.5;

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2019-nfl-win-totals-vegas-released-totals-for-all-32-teams-here-are-our-favorite-picks-for-2019/

The over/under win total for the Jets was set at 7.5 

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/nfl-win-total-over-under-odds-1.33945795

The over/under win total for the Jets was set at 7.5 following a four-win season in 2018. 

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

So why are we complaining when the jets beat bad teams?  

We're not.  We're complaining that they lost to the winless Dolphins and Bengals.

Also, on the other side of the coin, we should expect to win some games we're NOT supposed to, also, no?  That disastrous Week 1 collapse against the Bills looms large today.  

9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Bills and pats 2x, ravens and either eagles or cowboys.  That’s 6 games vs playoff teams.  They just beat the Steelers who could make the playoffs.  

What the complainers here need to realize is that there are teams worse than the jets and that the good teams make the playoffs by beating bad teams.  So why are we complaining when the jets beat bad teams?  They should.  Bad teams will be on the schedule every year.

100% this. Year after year I'm not sure why folks can't get this simple point. The Bills have beaten 2 teams with winning records this year, for instance. They're still playing next weekend, though so what does it really matter? This is just the way that schedules and parity work in this league.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We're not.  We're complaining that they lost to the winless Dolphins and Bengals.

Also, on the other side of the coin, we should expect to win some games we're NOT supposed to, also, no?  That disastrous Week 1 collapse against the Bills looms large today.  

Beyond that as well, i’m not saying Gregg Williams is god or something but given the roster turnover he had to deal with this year, especially at corner, he’s held up his end of the bargain in our defensive rankings. Yes, the rush defense carries the yards total by a lot, but given the fact we have had garbage tier corners for much of the year and undrafted players carrying our defense for much of the year he’s done a good job. 

Manish is a douche, but the offensive stats don’t lie. We have had almost a league worst offense throughout the year. Does Gase deserve all the blame for that? Certainly not, as our talent is largely garbo at the most impactful And foundational positions, but i do expect the guy who got his job for his offensive prowess to do something besides being at the bottom of the league for both run and pass. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Oh look Gase truthers trying to say how catastrophic this 7-9 season was despite spending all summer predicting that an 8-8 year would be a miracle given the talent level. Much actually.

We must read I different board I predicted 6 wins and said our ceiling was 8 and was attacked in a mob frenzy. Homers gonna homer. We will do it all over again in 6 short months.

I have said it before: darksiders have long memories. Homers have no memories.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Bills and pats 2x, ravens and either eagles or cowboys.  That’s 6 games vs playoff teams.  They just beat the Steelers who could make the playoffs.  

What the complainers here need to realize is that there are teams worse than the jets and that the good teams make the playoffs by beating bad teams.  So why are we complaining when the jets beat bad teams?  They should.  Bad teams will be on the schedule every year.

My complaining has almost nothing to do with the win loss record.  It has everything to do with seeing the 32nd ranked offense under and offensive head coach.  A terrible looking #3 overall pick, a number of other bust mccagnan picks and a totally unknown GM.

My biggest complaint is the coach, he actually looks worse at his job than he did in Miami and his track record there was poor.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Was that set before or after Mono, Mosley, Enunwa, and the Entire O line going down?

Just wondering. 

Again, every team has injuries. Jets were correctly adduced to be very unlikely to overcome adversity due to a terrible roster. It’s not bad luck, it’s bad planning.