Q Williams

GumboBoat

He's not good now and he's never going to be a dominant force/game changer.  His athleticism metrics established that from the start, and getting taken by Mike Maccagnan was the final nail in the coffin.  

Any "improvement" he makes will not be enough.  He'll be a very good run stopper and not much else.  He'll end up going down as yet another bust.  And why would anyone be surprised about that?  This is yet another pick by the same GM that was the 2nd worst drafter in the Salary Cap era behind Matt Millen.  

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

AND THIS IS WHY IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE WHERE WE DRAFT

people are really really dumb.

This makes no sense. It makes a difference when you have an at least good GM, which we are hoping for. If it “makes no difference” then we might as well give up and not have a team anymore because they will NEVER get out of this hole with bad drafting. 

• Upvote 1

I admit I’m a Q Williams fan but I admit he had a pretty uneventful rookie year.  I think some was injuries and some was him.  I still think he has a future as an impact player.  I know fans don’t want to hear it and I do understand but let’s see how he does in year 2. I wouldn’t be surprised with a big jump.  So yeah his rookie year was very disappointing but I’m not ready to give up on him after 1 yearv

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I'll say it here now and everyone can call back to this thread/ post in the future when we're talking about it if you'd like. I was a solo artist last year when I was talking similarly about Nathan Shepherd. I like his trajectory even more this year. 

1. Quinnen Williams career is not over no matter how much we complain about it. 

2. This season does not say a single thing about how much potential he has. It just states that he had a disappointing rookie year.  That's about it. 

3. He will not be traded. There is no blockbuster deal. 

4.  He will have a full NFL offseason and benefit greatly from playing within the same Defensive system for a second consecutive season. 

5. Everyone will be talking about how great he is next year and the pendulum will swing all the way to comparing him to the all time greats at the position or at minimum the best in the league.

You heard it here first, unless I was ninja'd of course.  I'm on record.

To be clear, I never wanted him OR Ed Oliver.  :)    

Problem is it’s worse than that.  I don’t think we needed to see 10 sacks or anything close - but he didn’t even flash. 

I can’t recall a single play where he blew some one up or did something that made me say “Wow, this guy can be great” 

He showed no ability whatsoever to be explosive.  

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

I am old enough to remember people on this board killing Revis after his rookie year. I’ll wait.

Revis was the first Jet rookie to start at CB since Ray Mickens in 1996.  He had 3 INT's, 17 PD's, 87 Tackles, 1 FR and 2 QB Hits his rookie season.  He only allowed 3 TD's all season in 16 starts.  And Mangini compared him to Ty Law.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

I am old enough to remember people on this board killing Revis after his rookie year. I’ll wait.

Really?  I don’t recall that being the sentiment, but it’s a dozen years ago now.  But Revis’s rookie year was orders of magnitude better than Williams’s.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Revis was the first Jet rookie to start at CB since Ray Mickens in 1996.  He had 3 INT's, 17 PD's, 87 Tackles, 1 FR and 2 QB Hits his rookie season.  He only allowed 3 TD's all season in 16 starts.  And Mangini compared him to Ty Law.  

He was widely mentioned as a bust on this board. I don’t really care what revisionist history says.

Just now, k-met57 said:

He was widely mentioned as a bust on this board. I don’t really care what revisionist history says.

Anyone who was calling him a bust was a complete moron.  I sincerely doubt there were too many people calling him one after a season like that.  

It's not "revisionist history" to point out that Revis had a great first season whereas Quinnen was a ghost.  That's just.....history.  

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, section314 said:

So was Coples. He had like 6 sacks. And now he's out of the NFL.

And this is supposed to make us feel better than Quinnen Williams....how?

Lot's of players suck and then go on to continue to suck.  Some start off good and then suck after (like Vic Beasley).  Very rarely do players suck their rookie years and then become awesome. 

And along with that, Quinnen doesn't have the athleticism  to project that he'll be an elite pass rusher or really anything close to it.  Athleticism matters more for pass-rushers than any other type of player on the field outside of maybe WR.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Problem is it’s worse than that.  I don’t think we needed to see 10 sacks or anything close - but he didn’t even flash. 

I can’t recall a single play where he blew some one up or did something that made me say “Wow, this guy can be great” 

He showed no ability whatsoever to be explosive.  

He actually had quite a few plays where he blew the guy up in front of him and either missed the tackle or the play was moving her other way.  Not nearly as many as we'd have liked of course, but its there. He's a big part of the stout run D and will be fine.  He's flashed through an injury plagued rookie year. 

It's a big disappointment for sure, but he has had some plays. I have focused on him a bit this season and he almost never gets pushed back. That's a pretty good place to start for him. 

5 hours ago, fullblast said:

Trying to be patient, as with all rookies, but he really hasn't shown much this year.

If we drafted Ed Oliver or Allen, you would be saying the same thing. The fact is if all thebother DL and LB's suck, you are not going to make a lot of plays. I saw Q actually getting doubled this year because their isn't  another D player on the front 7 worth a ?

• WTF? 1

14 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

While Adam Schefter is usually bang on, there is NO way I believe there was a STUNNING offer for Williams.  He might have all the potential in the world, but he didn't show THAT much potential that someone was going to offer a boatload for him.  Not a chance.

I wish to think JD played Schefty to drum up an offer but that is probably too much to ask for.

18 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

While Adam Schefter is usually bang on, there is NO way I believe there was a STUNNING offer for Williams.  He might have all the potential in the world, but he didn't show THAT much potential that someone was going to offer a boatload for him.  Not a chance.

Schefter is a CAA guy doing Douglas/Gase (CAA guys) a solid by floating out a rumor to pump his value. The Jets dline is the best unit on the team and Williams isnt part of the reason. Was a bad pick and probably best to move on sooner than later, which the Jets never seem to do.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Schefter is a CAA guy doing Douglas/Gase (CAA guys) a solid by floating out a rumor to pump his value. The Jets dline is the best unit on the team and Williams isnt part of the reason. Was a bad pick and probably best to move on sooner than later, which the Jets never seem to do.

Sometimes you say interesting things and often you say absurd things.

This is one of the latter.  Perhaps the most egregious example.