You Play Jets GM

Smizzy

1 - OG - Steve Hutchinson (duh)

2 - LB - Will Witherspoon (Mangini system will use more LBs, and need speed)

3 - DT - Chris Hovan or Maake Kemoeatu

4 - WR - Randel El or Reche Caldwell (knows Schott system from SD)

4 - CB - Hank Poteat (from NE knows the system and cheap)

1.Maake Kemoeatu

2.Vince Manuwai

3.LeCharles Bentley

4.Julian Peterson

5.Antwaan Randle El

Smizz, I can't say I'm 100% positive on this but I've been told that the Postons are still demanding the Peterson be among the highest paid defensive players in the NFL.

Since Jets cant afford to have several top tier FAs I try to be reasonable with top 5 FA list..

OLB-Ayodele- can play ILB,OLB and DE.

DT- Kemoeatu- 3-4 ready size..

CB- Fair- same duties as Miller for push purpose.

OL- Metcalf- can play OG, C and OT. perfect replacement to Goodwin if not start.

QB- McCown- young and strong posture who can be an answer for either short term or long term.

Smizz, I can't say I'm 100% positive on this but I've been told that the Postons are still demanding the Peterson be among the highest paid defensive players in the NFL.

thats why i left him off my list, i wont go near Postons. I bet Smizzy will take him off his list when he finds out.

I am going to assume we're going with our current cap situation, with leaves hutchinson out of our reach(in addition to the fact hes probably going to be tagged), and as the GM, im going to tag and trade Abraham(either for a pick, or a quarterback---which is why im not choosing a qb)...so....with all that said, here goes

1. Jeff Backus--Just two years removed from receiving honors for the leagues top lineman, and likely to be much cheaper than D'Brickshaw Ferguson, who the Jets could draft, but are more likely to trade down for more picks.

2. Jamal Lewis, RB--Yes, im aware i just said im taking our cap situation into account, but Lewis could come as a bargain, for his talent level, coming off his rather down year. Keep in mind he's only a couple years removed from being the leagues top runner, and only 26 years old. Jets could use a physical presence on offense to ring in the new era.

3. Chris Hovan, DT--Has not had his best games since leaving Minnesota, but talent doesn't usually disappear over-night, and a change in scenary, complimented with a defensive minded head coach could be exactly what Hovan needs, and a top notch DT is exactly what the Jets need on defense.

4. Robert Mathis, DE--John Abraham is assumed to be gone, and lets admit it, Bryan Thomas is not going to cut it as his replacement. Mathis looked good this year in a much improved Indianapolis defense, perhaps he could help this Jets unit return to the top 5 form it was year before last.

5. Joe Jurevicious, WR--With the departure of Wayne Chrebet, and the failure of Justin McCariens, the Jets obviously need another Wide Out, perferably a possession reciever. No one fits the bill better than the man who changed the outlook the league had on Seattles recievers, Mr. Jurevicious.

This is barely reasonable, but here's my 2cents

Steve Hutchinson

LeCharles Bentley

Jon Runyan

Jeff Backus

Randle EL

1-4 satisfy my "OL is everything" philosopy

5 is because I think MAKING that pass to Hines Ward was way more valuable than catching it.

I am going to assume we're going with our current cap situation, with leaves hutchinson out of our reach(in addition to the fact hes probably going to be tagged), and as the GM, im going to tag and trade Abraham(either for a pick, or a quarterback---which is why im not choosing a qb)...so....with all that said, here goes

2. Jamal Lewis, RB--Yes, im aware i just said im taking our cap situation into account, but Lewis could come as a bargain, for his talent level, coming off his rather down year. Keep in mind he's only a couple years removed from being the leagues top runner, and only 26 years old. Jets could use a physical presence on offense to ring in the new era.

cant get Lewis,,,this regime has a NO TURDS policy

3. Chris Hovan, DT--Has not had his best games since leaving Minnesota, but talent doesn't usually disappear over-night, and a change in scenary, complimented with a defensive minded head coach could be exactly what Hovan needs, and a top notch DT is exactly what the Jets need on defense.

No thanks. Kemoeatu is 6-5 340.

This based on the premise te Jets are going to cut a bunch of high priced players to get the cap under control.

1. Kitna - A stopgap measure at QB. One, I do onot think the Jets are going to totally end their relationship with Chad yet. Give hm a season to recovere. Kitna fits this bill. Not the greatest QB, but a sight better then going into the season with only Chad and Brooks.

2. Tom Ashworth and/or Victor Riley- Following the Belichick mold, Mangini goes for a good reasonable price playey to rebuild OL.

3. Stephen Neal and/or Tom Nutten. - AGain, Mangini and Tanne look for cheap decent replacements for the OL. Neal mught be out of the Jets' price range as he is probably looking for a decent ocntract.

4. Antowain SMith. A stop gap measure in the event Houston.

5. A wideout. There is a fairly decent crop of wideoutws that have produced a bit can can be had for a reasonable price. From aged veterans like Troy Brown and Ricky Proehel to veterans like Peerless Price that have fallen off the radar to wideouts that just have not produced.

The Jets need to rebuild the offense. Their defense, for the most part, can survive a year with minimal attention. I am not saying ignoring it, but letting things play themselves out.

I would take a hard look at trading Abe to either Denver, for their #22 or #29 (preferable the #22).

I would also take a look at trading Abe to Atlanta for their #15. Schaub would get a hard look too. Dealing the 2nd for him would be a possibility.

Abe for Rivers would also be a possibility, IF San Diego believes that Brees will be ok.

I would ax some dead weight. Gone are Fatbini, Reed, Kendall, etc

If Schaub is in tow, I draft D'Brick.

1. LeCharles Bentley

2. I thought Grady Jackson was a FA? If not, I like Rocky Bernard a lot. I am not in favor of bringing in Homo Hovan.

3.Randle-El/Givens. I'd prefer Givens, but if Mangini inhereted BB's love of tricks, Randle-El would be a dangerous weapon.

4. DeShaun Foster/Michael Bennett. I would rather Foster, as he has more upside. Neither of these guys can stay healthy, which is why their price-tags shouldn't be too much. Either one is worth an incentive-laden deal.

5. Will Witherspoon. Panther fans love him. So would Mangini.

Grey Ruegamer - Green Bay - can play G or Center and would probably come cheap. Started and did well in 12 games with Flanagan down in 04 and I think is healthy.

If we aren't going to draft a QB- Kitna is as good as any for insurance and won't cost a lot in comparison.

Randel -El is too versatile to pass up if the price is right.

I would rather the Jets left the rebuilding of the o-line to the later rounds of the draft. OL is so hit and miss anyway. There are a group of believers out there that believe you get a good OL from coaching well and a group that believe you get it from drafting them high. I tend to lean towards the coaching. So that is why no OL appears on my top 5.

1) Adam Archuleta - His game really fell off after Lovie Smith left. He is still young enough and can be a force.

2) Rocky Calmus - Proto type 3-4 ILB size.

3) Ronald McKinnon - Vet ILB has great size. These two FA's will allow the Jets to move Vilma around inside so OL can't find him and pick on him due to his lack of size. Also allows the Jets to move Vilma outside in certain packages.

4) David Givens - Would give the Jets 3 solid WR's (Coles, Cotchery and now Givens).

5) Ma'ake Kemoeatu - 3-4 NT nuff said there.

6) Shawn Bryson - If I could add a number 6 it would be Bryson. He is big, cheap and underrated.

Bryson is 30-years old and has never done jack ****.

We'd be better off with Cedric Houston and Blaylock. Bryson is the definition of a JAG.

Settle down I did not list him number one.

And he is 29 - will be 30 late next season.

Antoine Smith was also a JAG supposedly. They are both cut in the same mold. Bryson has been under used and the victim of bad coaching each stop of his pro career. He is cheap a vet but not too old and will at the very least provinde competition. Blaylock will be the Kevin Faulk of this offense - no way he gets a full time role. But he has too big of a cotract to cut. Martin is old but could be used from time to time and Houston is unroven as well. So lets get a cheap vet in here, and a mid round RB and create tons of competition. This was supposed to be a realistic list too. Not a list of the all start FA's. I would take this whole list tom and it is realistic.

If we are going to bring in a free agent back, I'd rather it be a low-risk, high reward guy like Foster or Bennett, assuming we could get them locked into incentive-laden deals. No one is going to shell out big bucks to either one of those guys because neither has shown they can stay healthy. I love Foster. I think if he wasn't a giant pussy he could be a top ten back. I'm willing to take the risk, if the price is right.

There are 50 backs in this league that can do what Shawn Bryson does. Is it realistic? Yes. But he is just another warm body. Can be decent in small doses, but you can say that about pretty much any backup running back in the NFL. We already have 3 guys to fill that role: Martin, Blaylock, and Houston. I want to go for the home-run. With an incentive-laden contract, if we strike out, it's not a big deal.

If we are going to bring in a free agent back, I'd rather it be a low-risk, high reward guy like Foster or Bennett, assuming we could get them locked into incentive-laden deals. No one is going to shell out big bucks to either one of those guys because neither has shown they can stay healthy. I love Foster. I think if he wasn't a giant pussy he could be a top ten back. I'm willing to take the risk, if the price is right.

There are 50 backs in this league that can do what Shawn Bryson does. Is it realistic? Yes. But he is just another warm body. Can be decent in small doses, but you can say that about pretty much any backup running back in the NFL. We already have 3 guys to fill that role: Martin, Blaylock, and Houston. I want to go for the home-run. With an incentive-laden contract, if we strike out, it's not a big deal.

You do not want Foster and you especcially do not want Bennett. Bennett is too small, way too small. One good pop and he folds like a cheap camara. Foster is the same way but not as small.

I know there are 50 running backs out there but Bryson is not just a warm body. He fits the mold of a guy who is big and will get you positive yards. That is why I picked him.

If I could get a pick of one free agent though it would be Archuleta. He is a talent that has not been used correctly over the last couple years.

You do not want Foster and you especcially do not want Bennett. Bennett is too small, way too small. One good pop and he folds like a cheap camara. Foster is the same way but not as small.

I know there are 50 running backs out there but Bryson is not just a warm body. He fits the mold of a guy who is big and will get you positive yards. That is why I picked him.

If I could get a pick of one free agent though it would be Archuleta. He is a talent that has not been used correctly over the last couple years.

I like Foster much more than Bennett, but I am sure Bennett will be cheaper. Foster is injury-prone, but when he is healthy, that guy is a gamebreaker.

I'm with you on Archuleta. I would love to see what Mangini could do with a safety of his talent level.

Taking alot of things into consideration, like a players character, and how much money they will command. I have narrowed it down to a couple players.

#1 = LeCharles Bentley - Cut Mawae if needed be, and replace him with Bentley, who is 10 years younger and a better player. If not, keep Mawae, move Bentley back to guard where he was a probowler a couple years ago (now a probowl center). Great young player.

#2 = 3-4 Nose tackle. Sam Adams if he's cut would be a good fit. Grady Jackson is another possibility, as is this raven NT kemeautu everybody here is talking about.

#3 = Will Witherspoon. Great coverage backer, has alot of speed.

What about taking the chance on Mike Wililams? I realize he is labeled a bust in Buffalo but he was the 4th overall pick not too long ago and mayb he just needs a change of scenery. Plus, he weighs like 360lbs so he could add some girth to our line and he plays tackle and guard. I really don't know, just throwing it out there.

I also like Jeravicious and Moulds, both have great hands and Moulds will likely not like Buffalo anymore.:box:

Archived