I don’t get this criticism of Gase

4 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

So because these guys have good years this makes Gase bad? Are you telling me if Tannehill was with the Dolphins still, paired with Parker. That they’d be fighting for the playoffs right now? It was just Gase holding them back?

Meh. I’m not the biggest Gase fan but it just sounds lazy to me. 

Gase isn’t great.

• Sympathy 2

3 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

So because these guys have good years this makes Gase bad? Are you telling me if Tannehill was with the Dolphins still, paired with Parker. That they’d be fighting for the playoffs right now? It was just Gase holding them back?

There's no definitive evidence that Gase has "coached up" any QB's yet in this league.  He had one decent year with Cutler, one record-setting year with Peyton (for which he can take very little credit), and a lot of bad seasons surrounding those years. 

And meanwhile, Tannehill's best seasons in the league were this year, followed by the year he played under the Philbin/Lazor combo in Miami.  Gase checks in 3rd there.  

The best you can say about Gase is the "jury's still out" on whether he actually helps QB's more than he hurts him.  

Where he showed improvement, from the sound of things, was not alienating the non-QB portions of the roster.  Gregg Williams probably played a big role in that, but still.  From a "culture" standpoint, Gase has done fairly well.  Hopefully that's evidence that he's learned some lessons from Miami, where he reportedly pissed off everyone EXCEPT the QB room.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Players were bad and unperformed under gase, now they are good.

Gase was brought in for the specific reason of making Tannehill good and he regressed. 

After Gase Tannehill once again looks like a good player.

Gase was brought in for the specific reason of making Darnold better,  He has not been better than last year.

We have the worst offense in the league.

It's pretty simple.

Gase failed in Miami and has failed here running the offense so far.

But it’s not as if Robby regressed. Crowder I think had one of his best seasons. Same goes for Griffin. 

Bell, of course not, the line is trash. 

I’m also not walking away thinking Darnold got worse. No he didn’t make a huge leap but still confident in him. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Im not an Adam Gase hater, I stick to facts. Didn't the NY Jets have a full roster when we lost opening day to the Bills 17-16.

The way he's using Bell is sad. 

Mosley got hurt and didn’t play after halftime.  Buffalo scored all of their points in the second half so no we weren’t at full strength for the entire Buffalo game.  Darnold wasn’t diagnosed with mono until Tuesday after the game but he was sick going into the game.  He thought he had the flu because he was weak and wasn’t feeling well.  I’m still not sold on Gase but feel he deserves another year based on the second half turnaround.  It will be interesting to see what happens if we can improve the line and the receiver position.  I think if the line improves Bell’s numbers will also improve.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

56 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

But it’s not as if Robby regressed. Crowder I think had one of his best seasons. Same goes for Griffin. 

Bell, of course not, the line is trash. 

I’m also not walking away thinking Darnold got worse. No he didn’t make a huge leap but still confident in him. 

I think Sam improved from last year and thats evident from better completion percentage, better TD to Int ratio, more yards And more wins

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Anyone who puts “NFL Draft” in their twitter handle who isn’t employed by an NFL team should not be taken seriously, either as an analyst or a person.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Samtorobby47 said:

It shows Gase failed to develop the talent. Not a good thing for a team with a young QB. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

It shows Gase failed to develop the talent. Not a good thing for a team with a young QB. 

Parker has 64 catches on 117 targets. That’s putrid. Add to it that he’s always been hurt and the idea that he’s Jerry Rice all of a sudden is comical.

• Upvote 2

I'd love to hear from the Gase Fans what it is about the worst offense in the NFL that they liked so much this year.

And what gives them hope that Gase, who has finished in the bottom ranks of the NFL in Offense every single year as a Head Coach, will suddenly "get it" and produce the top 10 Offense we need.

Convince me.  How is Gase a top 10 offensive coach next year?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Yeah, i mean Sam looks so much better this season than last season with Bowels. What was i thinking.

He was better. I also think it’s possible they’re not a good fit with each other. But since I’m not sold on either Gase or Sam, I’m good with giving them a season to convince us that either of them is worth keeping.

The fact is Gase won 7 games for the Jets this season. Thats 3 more than last season - and he did it with a heavily depleted roster. Ultimately Gase will be judged on wins and losses not Darnolds stats. Jets could go 11-5 next season with 10 of these sloppy 13-6 kind of wins and we would all be jumping for joy. Now Im not in any way in love with how our offense has looked but if the other team scores 6 and we only need 7 to win then get at least 7.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

He was better. I also think it’s possible they’re not a good fit with each other. But since I’m not sold on either Gase or Sam, I’m good with giving them a season to convince us that either of them is worth keeping.

You must be blind. Sam was actually playing better last season in the last 4 or 5 games than anything we have seen this year. Sam was starting to look consistant.  He has been totally up and down and not even game to game, it is drive to drive. He plays 1 drive like he has been doing this for years and then the next drive he reminds us, oh yeah, he still very young. 

I mean are you serious or are you just trying to defend something that nobody would try to defend. Sam if anything has regressed this season. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'd love to hear from the Gase Fans what it is about the worst offense in the NFL that they liked so much this year.

And what gives them hope that Gase, who has finished in the bottom ranks of the NFL in Offense every single year as a Head Coach, will suddenly "get it" and produce the top 10 Offense we need.

Convince me.  How is Gase a top 10 offensive coach next year?

Where are we discussing anything like that here? 

Just silly to say a WR in his 5th year, who finally played a full season, along with a QB who constantly fools teams into resigning him...breaking out is because Gase held him back  

But okay, hm, maybe not have 10 different oline combinations and a constant rotation in front of your Qb? Could help. Nice place to start.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

You must be blind. Sam was actually playing better last season in the last 4 or 5 games than anything we have seen this year. Sam was starting to look consistant.  He has been totally up and down and not even game to game, it is drive to drive. He plays 1 drive like he has been doing this for years and then the next drive he reminds us, oh yeah, he still very young. 

I mean are you serious or are you just trying to defend something that nobody would try to defend. Sam if anything has regressed this season. 

Did he? He had 2 great games against the worst pass defenses in the league last year. He ripped Oakland and Washington this year. He has better stats and more wins this year than last year and he did it without Chris Herndon and when he finally got in a rhythm with Griffin this year, Griffin got injured. 

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

Tom, without looking them up, name the starting WR's, RB's, and TE's on the Fins not named Parker. 

I get your point, but it’s not relevant to Parker’s catch rate. It’s bad. It’s like trying to build a basketball team around a guy that shoots 25% from the field. I get that Parker has talent, but if I’m the guy calling plays and I need to convert a big third-and-eight, you can’t trust a guy like that to come down with it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

You didn't address my scouting question.  I would like to try another.

I have watched Le'Veon Bell going back to his days at Michigan State.  I believe he was lacking the quickness this season I saw in Pittsburgh. 

Nevertheless, I am not convinced he "lost a step."  Bell looks to me like he is playing about 10-15 pounds too heavy.  He looks closer to the size he was as a Spartan and a rookie Steeler. Following his rookie year with the Steelers,  he slimmed down and became the superstar.

Bell is clearly in very good shape... but is there a belief in Florham Park he should be playing at a lighter weight?