I don’t get this criticism of Gase

The only thing you can credit Gase with is not losing the entire locker room at 1-7 and even that doesn't all go to Gase. Gregg Williams was a MAJOR reason the team didnt quit. His depleted defense kept the team alive in a lot of games. Meanwhile on the other side of the ball, the offense showed flashes but sputtered way too often. 

Darnold improved but not by leaps and bounds. He did cut down on the turnovers, you give credit to the player and coach for that.

Overall, Gase needs to improve as a coach or he will be out of here. There are now way too many issues with him that have popped up in multi places 

Here’s the issue with Sam’s development, and its simple really.

- Sam progressed from last year, statistically and intangibly.

- His progression wasn’t at the rate that twitter told you it “SHOULD BE” this year, because Mahomes/Watson/Wentz who are older and have been in the same system with the same coaches on better rosters have had better 2nd seasons.

- Sam always needed more time (for super stardom) given his age/experience/team situation. He’s on his way...let’s see what the next year or two brings.

• Upvote 1

Ive posted this a few times, more about Bowles then Gase but it translates and simplifies this situation - which traits of a good HC does Gase hit?

• Game plan/play design - we seem to excel on the scripted first drive, but after that Gase doesnt seem to have a cohesive plan.  Meaning, did we run more or less knowing cincy had a bad rush defense?  We ran less
  • In game adjustments - We routinely struggle in the 3rd quarter which makes it seem that Gase also doesnt really make 2nd half adjustments.
  • Game management (timeouts, challenges, 4th down, etc) - Gase looks at the offensive pictures on the sideline at such a level that he doesn't watch the defense and that Dowell Loggins holds the challenge flags (THINK ABOUT HOW INSANE THIS IS - what other OC is allowed to make challenges)
  • Player relationships - its 50-50 at best that the players like/respect/play hard for him.
  • Discipline - numerous grievances due to the injury/rehab policy, but its admittedly subjective.  I dont think we were an overly penalized team, probably in the middle.
  • Roster management/choices - routinely doesnt understand how to use the talent hes given (look at Davante Parker, Kenyan Drake and Tannenhill)

How could any fair evaluator of talent think keeping Gase is a smart move?

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

I think Sam improved from last year and thats evident from better completion percentage, better TD to Int ratio, more yards And more wins

I posted in a different thread that I thought I saw today’s broadcast flash a stat saying the Jets had the 11th Ranked Offense in the NFL over most of the 2nd half of the season.  I don’t like to cherry pick stats but I would think this would confirm that the trajectory is definitely on the right side, going up, at the moment.

Darnold put up a string of 30 point games against weak opponents, as he should.  He struggled against some of the best teams in the league where his personnel was totally overmatched, also as expected.  For those expecting him to put up 30 in a driving rainstorm in miserable Buffalo today, that’s unrealistic too).

Darnold was 7-6 in his 2nd year (I could say 8-5 if the D holds week 1, but I won’t play those games anymore haha), and I feel if Douglas can gut even more of Maccagnan’s damage things should be even better next year.

2 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

So because these guys have good years this makes Gase bad? Are you telling me if Tannehill was with the Dolphins still, paired with Parker. That they’d be fighting for the playoffs right now? It was just Gase holding them back?

Meh. I’m not the biggest Gase fan but it just sounds lazy to me. 

Don't listen to these morons.  They can't attack the Jets because he finished 6-2, so they grasp at straws.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Im not an Adam Gase hater, I stick to facts. Didn't the NY Jets have a full roster when we lost opening day to the Bills 17-16.

The way he's using Bell is sad. 

Lost Mosely late in the 3rd. Willamson was already lost for the season and Darnold was playing with Mono.. and the OL was terrible from the get go.   

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

When your #1 receiver catches 50% of the passes thrown to him, that’s how you build a 5-11 offense.

Going into yesterday—a game against the best pass defense in the league, in which he was matched up one-on-one with the probable DPOY, and ended up 8/11 for 137—Parker was 11th in DYAR and 19th in DVOA.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

So because these guys have good years this makes Gase bad? Are you telling me if Tannehill was with the Dolphins still, paired with Parker. That they’d be fighting for the playoffs right now? It was just Gase holding them back?

Just Tannehill?  OK maybe it's just coincidence.

Just Drake?  OK.  Maybe Drake magically turned from Bum to break-out season.  Just luck.

Just Parker?  OK.  Fluke

Just Gesicki?  Ok.  took the kid a year or 2 to become comfortable.

But all four of them have break-out seasons within the blink of an eye after Gase is out?  Coincidence? 

No way.  If you truly think that, then there is no point discussing because it's like arguing against a claim that the Earth is flat

• Upvote 1

anybody that thinks parker is not a stud wr should find another hobby-dude made some incredible catches this season and he had great games against some of the leagues top corners -he is WAY BETTER than Robby or Crowder and it is NOT EVEN CLOSE

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kmnj said:

we have the worst offense in football and our coach supposed strength is offense-the better coach on the jets is our defensive  coach

And our most prolific posters on this message board ignore this and find excuses... er... "reasons..." (LOL)  to turn a blind eye to the ominous warning signs.  

15 hours ago, Nixhead said:

. Jets could go 11-5 next season with 10 of these sloppy 13-6 kind of wins and we would all be jumping for joy.

Maybe you would. I take no pride or joy in empty wins. None of it matters if the team doesn’t have the mustard to put down the big dogs.... it only serves to prolong the period of underachievement 

17 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

We can’t really know for sure but sure wouldn’t want to explain that on my CV

17 hours ago, southtown24th said:

Most wins since 2015?  The guy is weird. Strange. Awkward.  Odd.  A dickhead.

And the coach with the most wins for the Jets since 2015.

Let's see what he does with a full roster.

Belichick can also be called strange, awkward and a dickhead.  He is respected because he is a bona fied genius.  I don't care that Gese is any of those things.  The compelling issue is that he is *not* a genius.  He has a "shoe box" offense.   He does not or can not create based on what is in front of him.  He's stuck to a particular system because it is all he knows.  He can hum along with the tune, but he does not know the music. 

The results speak for themselves.  Jets have the worst total offensive yardage in the league. 

He impressed Chris Johnson with polished script.  Now we are stuck with him. 

I am not a fan of Gase overall.  But to not lose the team at 1-7, to go through all the injuries on D, to not have a serviceable OL and somehow get this team to finish 7-9 deserves some credit.  If he was as bad as, what seems like the world, makes him out to be this team would have quit and not won more than 3 games.

Absolutely. I’m on the Gase sucks train but it’s pretty obvious that he did an above average job of keeping the boat afloat. It was prime season for the team to completely give up and they didn’t. Every week saw someone new go to IR. Hell, new WR played one week and went to IR. Tom Compton went to IR this very last week.
This season had complete train wreck written all over it. We won 6 of the last 8. There is no way to diminish that.
We can talk about the competition all we want. We were 1-7. Who the hell do we think we are supposed to be here? We had more starters out than any team we played. Period!

I will give crazy eyes the credit he deserves.
I’m sure Williams helped too.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Going into yesterday—a game against the best pass defense in the league, in which he was matched up one-on-one with the probable DPOY, and ended up 8/11 for 137—Parker was 11th in DYAR and 19th in DVOA.

So he’s like a high-volume Darius Slayton is what you’re saying 

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

Yeah because every fantasy guy fills out his line up with Jet WRs TEs and RBs

Crowder, Anderson, Herndon, and Bell were all drafted by round 4 or 5 in every league i played in and Griffen was picked up on waivers and rostered in all of them as well. Even Powell and Darnold were on rosters as backups. 

19 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Politics. People have their favorites and their narratives. I'm not sold on Gase, but I'm not filled with hate for the man as some here seem to be. Maybe Parker needed an ego check to move forward professionally.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Im not an Adam Gase hater, I stick to facts. Didn't the NY Jets have a full roster when we lost opening day to the Bills 17-16.

The way he's using Bell is sad. 

Opening Day Sam was sick already 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Crowder, Anderson, Herndon, and Bell were all drafted by round 4 or 5 in every league i played in and Griffen was picked up on waivers and rostered in all of them as well. Even Powell and Darnold were on rosters as backups. 

Great   How many were week in week out starters and not bye week fill ins?

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

Maybe you would. I take no pride or joy in empty wins. None of it matters if the team doesn’t have the mustard to put down the big dogs.... it only serves to prolong the period of underachievement 

This reminds me of the Pennington years....  10-6, 9-7 but we all knew it was a fake shallow type of winning season.  We never really had a chance with Penny.  We now have Sam, who if handled right has the look of a SB winner.  13-6, 16-10, lack of second half play all tell us we need more from Sam ad the coaches.

19 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

look no farther then where we ranked in stats https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/2019.htm guru my a$$

20 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

pretty much...it helps when you score points

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

i hate this narrative that gase didn't have players - he is just a bad coach. Bowles would have won more games - bowles had darbold playis best football..

G Williams lost over half his starters and still did great. Gase has Bell Darnold, Crwoder Andersen Griffin etc and he cant put together a competent game plan. He is a terrible coach.

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

Just Tannehill?  OK maybe it's just coincidence.

Just Drake?  OK.  Maybe Drake magically turned from Bum to break-out season.  Just luck.

Just Parker?  OK.  Fluke

Just Gesicki?  Ok.  took the kid a year or 2 to become comfortable.

But all four of them have break-out seasons within the blink of an eye after Gase is out?  Coincidence? 

No way.  If you truly think that, then there is no point discussing because it's like arguing against a claim that the Earth is flat

Do we then consider Ryan Griffin and  Crowder as players who flourished under Gase or are they just lucky flukes as well.

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

i hate this narrative that gase didn't have players - he is just a bad coach. Bowles would have won more games - bowles had darbold playis best football..

G Williams lost over half his starters and still did great. Gase has Bell Darnold, Crwoder Andersen Griffin etc and he cant put together a competent game plan. He is a terrible coach.

I'd like to see how Tom Brady or Derrick Henry would have fared playing behind this Oline Football is the ultimate team sport and having a critical component like the Oline as bad as it was impacts all facets of the offense.

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Crowder, Anderson and Bell were all solid flex players. Griffen started when healthy.

Do you even play this game? The only bad choice was Bell really

Of all those players Darnold is ranked in the Mid 20s and Crowder and Anderson were in the high 30s

Wesco and Brown were in the 40s to 60s

Bell was ranked in the teens

yes Ive played and done well in fantasy football

if those were your week in week out starters your team sucked