144 members have voted

1. 1. How Confident Are You In Darnold?

• I'm very confident he's our franchise QB
    • He's probably our franchise QB
    • He could be our franchise QB
    • He's probably not our franchise QB
    • I'm very doubtful he's our franchise QB

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/29/2020 at 03:23 AM

“He could be our franchise QB”

I know we have an issue with the OL and he has had a strong 2nd half finish but he has not been consistent. Makes ‘Sanchez’ throws at times mixed with a lot of great throws. Not good under pressure. He’ll be better next year but I don’t see him being a top 5 QB in the league. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Still inconclusive which is unfortunate. We need to throw as many resources as possible to help him next season so we actually know what we have in him. I feel no better or worse after last year since the year was a disaster on offense and he still showed some positives. 

I am mostly in the same spot except I am a little less confident in him now than I was at the end of last season. If I answered this poll after last year I'd have gone with "he's probably our franchise qb". I know his numbers are overall a little better too. 22 turnovers stayed the same, which is a big one and he did it in one less game this year.

So much riding on Douglas being legit.

• Upvote 1

Still very confident.  I admit he didn’t take the big step forward I expected but I think what he went through in the beginning of the year hurt him too.  We gotta fix  this oline.  You can tell Darnold really feels the pressure and I think had affected him in making some poor decisions.  I’m not a Gase fan and I feel his play calling made it tough for not only Sam but obviously Bell too

He’s the real deal. No question

Jets were 7-6 w/Darnold  

People will rip the below because it’s from Tannenbaum but...And this was prior to today’s game. So 14 TDs / 5 INTs.   

And he’s referring to Darnold’s 2019 games 3&4  

As for those that say Darnold wasn’t running as much this season.  It could be because of his spleen..Although he played with a special pad to protect it.  It’s possible he was told to limit running with the ball the rest of the season. Rest up offseason..

Mike Tannenbaum (@RealTannenbaum)

12/29/19, 12:26 PM

QB Sam Darnold has taken a step forward this season despite what his stats say. He has 18 passing touchdowns to 12 interceptions, but 7 of his interceptions came in weeks 3&4

Since then, Darnold has thrown 13 TDs to just 4 INTs for the ⁦‪@nyjets‬⁩

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Confident.

If you give him a good OL and another good WR and he continues to progress, he’ll be very good and we will have a chance to compete with him.

I don’t think he’ll ever quite be a “star,” but i think he will be a good to very good starting caliber NFL QB for a long time and we will have a chance to compete for a championship with him, at some point.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm 50/50 on Darnold.  He could be the guy, he could also be just a guy.  He had numerous problems that need fixed with his personal play.  Consistency.  Accuracy.  Footwork.  Pocket presence/feeling pressure.  Decision making.  But he has the potential to be very good, but he needs work and a good Coach.

I'm 100% against retaining Gase, even if I know there is 0% chance he's being fired.  Guy's a Phin and a bum, and no amount of fallating SAR I threads or player asskissing will change his horrific resume of bottom-of-NFL failures as a supposed "offensive genius".  I don't care if Sam likes him, Sam needs better, to fix his many mechanical problems. 

This year, like last year, was 100% excuses.  Mono.  Youth.  Injuries.  O-Line.  WR's.  Bell.  Schedule.  Etc.  Fine.  Excused.  It's the past now.  Like Gase's other excuse-ridden losing years.

Will NEXT year be yet another year of excuses? 

Because it's Darnold's third year.  I guarantee you, if you told every Jets Fan on the day Darnold was drafted that he's have the W/L record he has today, and the low production he's had up till now, and two seasons incomplete with injuries/illness, not ONE would have believed it.  Nor been happy with that.  

So it is what it is.  I want better.  I want 4,000+ yards.  30+ TD's.  Under 12 INT's.  And 10 or more wins.  I don't want whining and excuses and more rebuilding six-year plans.

So I hope Douglas is a good GM.  Cause this team sucks, and it's damn time it got better.

Good Fair Post.  This year there were a lot of reasons.  Next year there is no more excuses.  I’m a big Sam fan but I agree that next year is the year where we need to see a big jump and I think we will.  I agree I never wanted Gase here.  Our owner is an idiot so we have no choice so I just hope next year he improves or at least helps Sam 

7 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Good Fair Post.  This year there were a lot of reasons.  Next year there is no more excuses.  I’m a big Sam fan but I agree that next year is the year where we need to see a big jump and I think we will.  I agree I never wanted Gase here.  Our owner is an idiot so we have no choice so I just hope next year he improves or at least helps Sam 

Douglas.  We're in Douglas's hands now.  A legit #1 WR.  And some O-line.  Hold the fort on Defense, get back all our hurt.

It's doable.  It's realistic.  It can be done.

Just now, Warfish said:

Douglas.  We're in Douglas's hands now.

Yeah.  I hope Douglas is as smart as many say he is.  This is a HUGE offseason.  This draft needs to be great after so many duds .  He did a really good job with the Leo trade and now he has to build correctly 

I’m 50/50 on the guy. He has some issues that are troubling. Bad habits, slow eyes, not enough arm strength for what he wants to do at times. That being said he improved his ball safety and he can wow you at times. Also his OL was God awful and he didn’t have his favorite target in Chris Herndon. Him and Gase can actually work together this offseason and I think they’ll come out firing. 

• Upvote 1

I'm 100% confident we can win with him if we have a good OL and solid skill players. I'm 25% confident that he's the type of QB that can carry a team regardless of the players around him. I think he's decision making will improve with experience. His accuracy and mechanics are going are an issue he needs to address. Not sure how confident I am in him fixing his deep ball accuracy. 

So basically, I'm confident he's at least an Eli type of QB. But I am not confident he's a top QB. 

Just now, JiF said:

Confident.  

I think he’s forced to be perfect on this team.  Once he has some reliable help in the running game and pass protection, he will be dangerous.

True.  I think part of the reason he sometimes makes poor decisions is because he feels he needs to overcompensate because of the bad OL and lack of weapons

I have faith in Darnold, as in, I believe he is fully invested in getting better and dedicating himself to the sport, but I do not trust the infrastructure around him. Gase is a bad head coach and I trust the Johnsons about as much as their arsenic-laced baby powder.

I would love to be more confident in Darnold, but unfortunately that's not possible as there are mitigating factors with the Jets staff and front office.

Add it up and I am right at 50/50

I'm watching the Eagles and Wentz and as good as he looks they're still questioning his future and he's 26.  Darnold at 22 has shown more than any other Jets QB in his first 2 years than anyone not named Namath. He won more than he lost this year, and the first game he played he should have been in bed with fever and chills.  He improved in every statistical category this year and no one would argue that he had a strong roster to work with.  Patchwork OL, lost a starting WR and TE for entire year, and dealt with a significant illness just out of training camp.  Certainly it's disappointing with no playoffs but there are many encouraging signs.  Nothing is certain.  Lamar Jackson is everyone's MVP this year but there is no guarantee that he can maintain that level of play over a long career, especially with his style of play.  Who would have predicted after RG III's beginning of his career that his backup Cousins would turn out to be the franchise QB and not him?  Mayfield was everyone's darling last year and now his future is anything but certain.  Darnold has the skill set, the personal makeup, and the desire to be great.  Will he be? Only time will tell, but I know I will be extremely excited to watch him develop further next year  and am as confident as I can be, given the unpredictable nature of football, that he will be the championship franchise QB we've been looking for this last half century.

1 minute ago, Larz said:

Gotta admit that I’m more hopeful than confident but I need to see him with a running game and a reliable receiver before I judge him too harshly 

I thought we drafted a franchise QB who could put the team on his back.

Seems we drafted a Sanchez-type, who needs a great O-line, great WR's and great RB's in order to succeed.

Or am I misreading all the "Sam can;t win without a great roster around him" talk this year?  

• Post of the Week 1

On a scale of 1-10 I'm going with a solid 7.5

Put a line infront of him and add another weapon along with our 2 TEs (hopefully healthy next season), Robby, LeVeon and Crowder and I am pretty confident we're a playoff contender

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk