Newjetsfan

Sam Darnold haters = clueless

15 hours ago, Warfish said:

We're all fans of Sam, because Sam is the QB of the New York Jets, and we're all New York Jets Fans.  You don't get a merit badge for saying this.

So you're ok with Darnold's rate of turnovers then.  Got it.

Tom Brady's First Two Years:

31 games, 30 starts, 20 wins, 10 losses, 637 for 1,014 (62.8%) for 6,607 Yards (6.5 YPA, 213 YPG), 46 TD, 26 INT's, 23 Fumbles, 72 Sacks.

He also was 11-3 and won on a Super Bowl his first year as starter.  He had 28 TD's his 2nd year and a consistent 2:1 TD:INT ratio his first three years.

Peyton Manning's First Two Years:

32 Games, 32 Starts, 16 wins, 16 losses, 657 for 1,108 (59.2%) for 7,874 Yards (7.1 YPA, 246 YPG), 52 TD, 43 INT, 9 Fumbles, 36 Sacks

He was 13-3 as a starter in his second season.  He had 33 TD's in his 3rd year, and threw for over 4,000 yards in his 2nd and 3rd years.  He had only one losing season over his next 14 years.

Ben Rothlisberger's First Two Years:  

26 Games, 25 Starts, 22 wins, 3 losses, 364 for 563 (64.7%) for 5,006 Yards (8.9 YPA, 192 YPG), 34 TD, 20 INT's, 4 Fumbles, 53 Sacks.

His record as a starter was 22-3.  He got to the AFCCG his rookie year.  He won a Super Bowl his second year.  

Sam Darnold's First Two Years:

26 Games, 26 Starts, 11 wins, 15 losses, 512 for 855 (59.9%) for 5,889 Yards (6.9 YPA, 226 YPG), 36 TD's, 28 INT's, 16 Fumbles, 63 Sacks.

He was 7-6 as a starter in 2019. 

That's an interesting analysis.  

I could point out that your analysis missed material facts (Two Super Bowl winners, Peyton's 30+ TD, 4,000+ passing).

I could point out that this is yet another cherry picked analysis (let's do the same vs. some failures, it may enlighten you to see similar production through similar periods to Sam.  Sam was a mirror, I'll remind you, in most stats and W/L production, to Patrick Ramsey thru 23 starts).  

I could point out that Brady was a rock solid 2:1 TD:INT guy and 60%+ guy from the start, Darnold is not.

I could point out that while Manning threw alot of INT's and was bad his rookie year, he was 13-3 his second year, rarely got sacked because of his speedy release and smarts, and broke the production levels you say we shouldn't expect from Sam, even though you think Sam is on par with Manning.

I could point out that Rothlisberger wasn't kept on because he was a great passer, but because he a big, strong guy and leader who didn't fumble and won almost every game he started (22-3) on a team built around the rush and defense, and he did what was needed to win, not to produce stats (which did get better), winning a Super Bowl after getting to the AFCCG.

Trying to claim equivalence between Darnold and Manning, Brady or other HOF'ers is laughable at this point.  It's also 100% unneccessary!

Almost all of us here at JN, myself included, are 100% behind Sam Darnold as our starter in 2020.  We all support building around him, providing him a much better O-line, at least one #1 WR and more.  We do not need to be convinced he is our best shot in 2020 and (for now) at having a Franchise QB.  No one (or almost no one) wants to cut him, or move on, or draft another starting QB in 2020.

But with that said, we DO expect improvement.  As we should, improvement means more wins!  We want more wins, don't we?

The AVERAGE production of NFL QB's who started and played all 16 games in 2019 is:

16 games, 356 for 559 (63.8%) for 4,164 Yards (7.4 YPA, 260 YPG), 25 TD's, 12 INT's, 36 Sacks.

I think it is ENTIRELY reasonable to want to see Sam Darnold, in 2020, meet this average level of performance while starting 16 games.

If you don't think asking for average is right, that it's too much to ask, so be it.  I expect average.

Nicely said.

It’s all moot, let’s see what he looks like with an NFL standard line. Year three is going to be judgment day.

17 hours ago, PepPep said:

B.S. Wins come from great teams and great coaches. Can great QBs put a sub par team on its back and carry it, sure. Sometimes. But rarely and almost never 22 yr olds, almost never when the O-line is THIS bad. 

2019...Darnold 7-6 with maybe the worst roster in the league.  Why isn’t he 13-0? (Sarc)

Perspective please...how many Wins from Pennington playing on the exact same squad?  How many wins from Sanchez?

No more than 2 I’m thinking.

Douglas builds him some protection, where he is not the most chased QB in the NFL, gets him some receivers that can get separation occasionally.....and he does not take any meaningful step forward in Year 3, then go ahead and call him “a bust”.....but even then I’d say it’s too early.

Not make excuses for him, but who can objectively say that the Kid hasn’t been dealt a sh*t hand by coming to the Jets?  From Day 1. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, k-met57 said:

bums dont do things like throw 2 red zone TD's on consecutive plays after the first one gets dropped or called back...in fact Darnold threw a TD on 3 consecutive plays last year in the preseason lol he has special stuff. will the jets ruin him or not help him improve? we shall see.

He probably isn’t a bum but no 2 plays in a vacuum mean a thing (or preseason games for that matter).

Eli Manning .......... Sam Darnold .............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. Peyton Manning

Nothing wrong with that imho.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk