NY Giants Fire HC Pat Shurmur

joewilly12

38 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'll be enraged if the Giants get Rhule.  Yeah yeah, only time will tell but that guy is a head football coach and a team builder not a glorified oc or dc living off distant past rep.

I can only hope Carolina hires rhule first.

Rhule will work for Maras who he worked with before rather than a hedge fund guy.

The Maras would have stuck with Shurmur, but Tisch saw the lack of entertainment value and knew that ultimately Shurmur would not work out.  They are trying to beat the Jets to Rhule.  Everyone knows that Gase will not work out in the end, but the Johnsons are going to stick with him to save money.  That is the difference. 

But the Jets should call Fritz and say:  “Keep your house, come work for us cheap as OC and have the Giants pay the salary difference.  Have a chance to look like a genius when compared to Gase and the Hobbit and put yourself back on the market next year.   Or otherwise, be a long-term OC here and stick it to the Giants in their own backyard.”

Shurmur is not perfect, but he has been a good OC.  I think he is a Norv Turner type-good OC, not HC.   He HAS to be better than the Hobbit. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

Rhule will work for Maras who he worked with before rather than a hedge fund guy.

The Maras would have stuck with Shurmur, but Tisch saw the lack of entertainment value and knew that ultimately Shurmur would not work out.  They are trying to beat the Jets to Rhule.  Everyone knows that Gase will not work out in the end, but the Johnsons are going to stick with him to save money.  That is the difference. 

But the Jets should call Fritz and say:  “Keep your house, come work for us cheap as OC and have the Giants pay the salary difference.  Have a chance to look like a genius when compared to Gase and the Hobbit and put yourself back on the market next year.   Or otherwise, be a long-term OC here and stick it to the Giants in their own backyard.”

Shurmur is not perfect, but he has been a good OC.  I think he is a Norv Turner type-good OC, not HC.   He HAD to be better than the Hobbit. 

I agree with you. Shurmur made Case Keenum a multi millionaire, and did a nice job with Daniel Jones. In my mind, Sam regressed terribly under Gase this year, and I would feel much better about him being taught by Shurmur than Gase. Gase will destroy Sam.

9 minutes ago, varjet said:

Shurmur is not perfect, but he has been a good OC.  I think he is a Norv Turner type-good OC, not HC.   He HAS to be better than the Hobbit. 

Zero chance Adam Gase lets go of any offensive power, zero.

2 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

As of today, it’s debatable that Gettlemans only real head scratcher is the Leonard Williams trade 

This was a horrible move for Gettleman.  To give us a very high 3rd round pick will allow us to get a solid positional player.  With what Williams will demand in free agency, it makes the move even worse.  

If Gettleman gave up a 5th round pick and a 6th round pick, then I would say the trade was fair.  

The Jets have a few good run stuffers for basically nothing.  I'm not even sure if Leonard Williams is still considered a good run stuffer anymore?

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I hope the Giants hire Matt rule, and he goes on to have a 10 to 12 year career with at least two Super Bowl‘s. The Jets deserve every bit of eating that crow for making the biggest mistake on the easiest decision in the last 10 years.

Although true, this is just cruel and unusual ?

27 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Barkley was decent this year. Nothing special. CMC/Henry/Cook were clearly better. Guys like Chubb/Mixon are just as good and also played on bad offenses. 

Despite how "great" he is, was supposed to be, the team and the offense have been bad the last 2 years. RBs don't age well. 

By the time the Giants figure this thing out how good will Barkley be? Barkley is the guy you draft at 2 when you are already a great team and RB is the missing piece, he is not the guy you draft at the start of a rebuild.  

I don’t disagree with you. The position they were in draft wise and Eli Manning career the smart choice is QB there but if you don’t like any of the QBs that are available to you, And there’s no trade down, I think you gotta go with your gut. 

His biggest problem that draft was not hiding the fact he wasn’t taking a QB, hurting the picks trade Value 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Good post.

I just think the Giants are rebuilding the correct way. They tore things down, drafted premium position players, and bit the bullet by throwing them right into the fire. Did they struggle at times? Hell yes. Did they show promise? I think a lot of them did.

Do the Giants still have problems? Of course they do. Shurmur didn't work out, and that hurt. It looks like they're going to go with Matt Rhule. We'll see about him. They also need LBs, the cupboard is bare there. They need OL help. and a #1 WR. That sounds familiar, lol. I'd disagree that Barkley is "just a RB". but I get your point. I wouldn't take a RB that high either.

All that being said, I'll stick with what I said about Gettleman and his drafting. He has to do better when signing FAs, but I like his method of putting a team together. I know a lot of Giants fans disagree, but that's my opinion.

Fair enough. It's an interesting argument.

But the other thing that would concern me, and we've seen this with the Jets, is what happens when you bring in a new Head Coach and put the GM on the hot seat? That's kind of what Mara is basically saying and I hate having a hierarchy built that way.

For arguments sake. What happens if the Giants hire Matt Rhule or Josh McDaniels, or whoever, and they have a bad 1st season as Head Coach from a win-loss perspective? Are the Giants going to then fire Gettleman and keep the Head Coach and only interview/hire a GM who is interested in working with that particular Head Coach? The Jets have done that in the past and I just think it's a bad way to run an organization. But time will tell.

2 hours ago, SummerofSam14 said:

Hate to say it, but right now Gettleman looks like a genius for passing on Darnold and drafting Jones. That was a bold move that he deserves a ton of credit for making. 

Still think Barkley was a mistake-should have grabbed Nelson or Chubb. 

I disagree. Jones played behind an O-Line that while not good (Gettlemans fault) is still better than what the Jets have. Daniel Jones has had a couple of really good games but there's plenty of bad as well. 

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

I hope the Giants hire Matt rule, and he goes on to have a 10 to 12 year career with at least two Super Bowl‘s. The Jets deserve every bit of eating that crow for making the biggest mistake on the easiest decision in the last 10 years.

Matt Rhule would be an excellent hire. Hopefully he doesn't go to the Cowboys. 

• Upvote 1