Baseball Trivia

The Crimson King

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Here's some more to chew on!

1) 7 different pitchers collected 100+ wins in the 2010s.  Name them.

2) Who was on deck when Bobby Thomson hit the "Shot Heard 'Round the World" to win the 1951 pennant for the Giants?

3) It's well known that Babe Ruth hit the first ever All-Star game HR in 1933.  But what National League hitter blasted the 2nd and 3rd HR's in All-Star game history, in back to back years (1933 and '34)?

4) Name the only World Series MVP for a team that LOST the World Series.

5) The 2019 Astros became the 4th team in MLB history to win 3 straight World Series games yet still lose the series.  Can you name the 3 other teams that did it previously?

6) Mike Trout hit the most HR's for 1 team in the 2010s, with 285.  Who was next, with 272?

7) 18 pitchers have now reached the 3,000 strikeout club, with Justin Verlander the latest member.  What Hall of Fame pitcher had the most K's without reaching 3,000?  He finished with 2,855.

8 ) 3 Expos/Nationals have hit 40+ HR's in a season in franchise history. Vlad Guerrero did it twice, and most recently Bryce Harper accomplished the feat in 2015.  But who hit the most HR's in a season in franchise history, with 46?

9) Who is the youngest MVP in MLB history?  He was the only MVP in history who was under the age of 22 when his MVP season began.

10) 7 different pitchers have recorded 325+ strikeouts in a season.  Two of them did it multiple times:  Nolan Ryan (5x) and Randy Johnson (5x).  The other 5 pitchers accomplished the feat once apiece.  One of those was Rube Waddell, who K'd 349 in 1904 with the Philadelphia A's.  Can you name the other 4 pitchers to do it?

2. Willie Mays ?

7. Gave it away with the number … but an easy hint is he was the first man to throw a no-hitter at Shea (extra points, who made the last out?)

10 Randy Johnson and Sudden Sam McDowell finish your list?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Gerrit Cole did it this year.  Koufax had 380+ one year.  Feller probably did it too.  Last guy I am going to guess is Pedro -- although I am probably wrong becuase I am not sure he would have thrown enough innings in a season to get to 325..

Koufax, Feller and Cole are all correct!

• Sandy Koufax:  382 in 1965
  • Bob Feller:  348 in 1946
  • Gerrit Cole:  326 in 2019

1 hour ago, The Crimson King said:

2. Willie Mays ?

7. Gave it away with the number … but an easy hint is he was the first man to throw a no-hitter at Shea (extra points, who made the last out?)

10 Randy Johnson and Sudden Sam McDowell finish your list?

Mays and Sam McDowell are correct!  Mays was a 20-year old rookie at the time.  McDowell struck out 325 in 1965.

# 2 and 10 are now answered!

7 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

so while we are waiting on JF80, a quick quiz on grand slams, mostly Mets related:

1. Only two Mets pitchers have ever hit a grand slam. One in the Polo Grounds (hint: he was from Cherryfield, ME) and one at Shea off a former and future Met. Who were the two and bonus points for who the former/future Met who gave up the one at Shea

2. Until 1992, only two National Leaguers hit a grand slam in the World Series. Both were future Mets. Name both.

3. Only one pitcher has ever hit two grand slams in a game (not a Met of course)  

4. Our own Mr. Seaver gave up a grand slam to a pitcher. Who was he?

5. Other than the grand slam in question #1, there was only one more pitcher's grand slam at Shea, delivered by Roy Lee Jackson. Who hit it?  

HINTS:

1. The Maine fellow had the lowest ERA for a Mets pitcher with at least 100 innings before Seaver came along.  The second fellow is more well known for a pitch he threw as a California Angel. the pitcher who gave up the HR to him held the Mets record for strikeouts until Seaver came along.

2. Both were infielders, both did it against the Yankees

3. hints just above this post

4. He threw a knuckle curve

5. also above (sorry blew this one)

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Burt Hooton?  Only guy I associate with the knuckle curve.

That's the guy, Drafted by the Mets out of high school but opted to go to Texas U instead

Was in his rookie year with the Cubs when this happened in late September . Knocked Seaver out of the game and lifted his ERA to over 3 (gasp!). Seaver won his last 4 or 5, passed 20 wins and lowered his ERA to under 3 after that blow. 

8 left to go from the original list!

3) It's well known that Babe Ruth hit the first ever All-Star game HR in 1933.  But what National League hitter blasted the 2nd and 3rd HR's in All-Star game history, in back to back years (1933 and '34)?

5) The 2019 Astros became the 4th team in MLB history to win 3 straight World Series games yet still lose the series.  Can you name the 3 other teams that did it previously?

6) Mike Trout hit the most HR's for 1 team in the 2010s, with 285.  Who was next, with 272?

7) 18 pitchers have now reached the 3,000 strikeout club, with Justin Verlander the latest member.  What Hall of Fame pitcher had the most K's without reaching 3,000?  He finished with 2,855.

8 ) 3 Expos/Nationals have hit 40+ HR's in a season in franchise history. Vlad Guerrero did it twice, and most recently Bryce Harper accomplished the feat in 2015.  But who hit the most HR's in a season in franchise history, with 46?

9) Who is the youngest MVP in MLB history?  He was the only MVP in history who was under the age of 22 when his MVP season began.

17 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

HINTS:

1. The Maine fellow had the lowest ERA for a Mets pitcher with at least 100 innings before Seaver came along.  The second fellow is more well known for a pitch he threw as a California Angel. the pitcher who gave up the HR to him held the Mets record for strikeouts until Seaver came along.

2. Both were infielders, both did it against the Yankees

3. hints just above this post

4. He threw a knuckle curve

5. also above (sorry blew this one)

1) One of the two is Jack Hamilton....beaned Tony C.

2) Kenny Boyer is one, 1964 WS at the Stadium. I was 6, one of my first WS memories.  Guess 2nd is either Gil Hodges or Eddie Matthews.

38 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

6, Miguel Cabrera

7. Jim Bunning

On 1/3/2020 at 3:44 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Here's some more to chew on!

2) Who was on deck when Bobby Thomson hit the "Shot Heard 'Round the World" to win the 1951 pennant for the Giants?

10) 7 different pitchers have recorded 325+ strikeouts in a season.  Two of them did it multiple times:  Nolan Ryan (5x) and Randy Johnson (5x).  The other 5 pitchers accomplished the feat once apiece.  One of those was Rube Waddell, who K'd 349 in 1904 with the Philadelphia A's.  Can you name the other 4 pitchers to do it?

*** ANSWERS BELOW ***

2) Answered correctly by @The Crimson KingWillie Mays 

7) Answered correctly by @LithJim Bunning

10) Answered correctly by @Lith and @The Crimson KingSandy Koufax (382 - 1965); Bob Feller (348 - 1946); Gerrit Cole (326 - 2019); Sam McDowell (325 - 1965)

More guesses....

6) either Miguel Cabrerra or Anthony Rizzo

8   Andre Dawson

1 hour ago, section314 said:

1) One of the two is Jack Hamilton....beaned Tony C.

2) Kenny Boyer is one, 1964 WS at the Stadium. I was 6, one of my first WS memories.  Guess 2nd is either Gil Hodges or Eddie Matthews.

Hamilton is correct for one of the two Mets pitchers grand slams. Good pickup on the clue.

Boyer had one in the '64 series but the original clue were that they were both future Mets. The other one was also against the Yankees but before Boyer. BTW, it was not Elio Chacon in '61 :)

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Hamilton is correct for one of the two Mets pitchers grand slams. Good pickup on the clue.

Boyer had one in the '64 series but the original clue were that they were both future Mets. The other one was also against the Yankees but before Boyer. BTW, it was not Elio Chacon in '61 :)

Tommy Davis for the Dodgers in 63?

7 hours ago, section314 said:

Tommy Davis for the Dodgers in 63?

Nice try.  Gotta give anyone who knows that Tommy Davis was a Met a hearty thumbs up. Although the day they traded Ron Hunt for him was a sorrowful day (another good trivia question is who were the other two players in the trade as it was a 2 for 2). Ten years later, we found out what a sorrowful trade really is (: 

Answer is Chuck Hiller for the '62 Giants. Tied at 2 with 2 outs at Yankee Stadium, Hiller, a lefty hitter hit it off Marshall Bridges, a lefty reliever who had a bunch of saves for the Yankees that year. 

Boyer's was also in the Bronx, off AL Downing when the Cards were behind 3-0.

Hiller, a Met from mid '65 to mid '67 was known for his really bad glove (mostly 2B). Thankfully they never paired him with Dick Stuart at 1B (an even worse glove) on the right side of the infield for the'66 Mets which would have been an adventure. The Mets brought him in when Hunt (the hero of the 63-66 Mets) was run into by (trivia question for another time, was booed at Shea for the rest of his career) and went out with a separated shoulder. They platooned Hiller with Bobby Klaus until Hunt came back.

It was kinda neat that the only two NL grand slams were future Mets, albeit a has been and a never was as a Met) until '92. There have been two more since. 

BTW: 

Other than Jack Hamilton's grand slam, Carlton Willey was the only other Met pitcher to do that. I guess no one remembers Bob Murphy telling us that he was from Cherryfield, ME every time he came out there. He wasn't much of a hitter but managed to poke a bloop the opposite way off Ken Johnson in the Polo Grounds in '63 where the foul line was shorter than field 1 in Cantiaque Park. His 3.10 ERA was the Mets record that Seaver bested his rookie year.

Hamilton hit his in '67. This was more my era (really started in '64) so I remember the detail. Saturday night at Shea, Buddy Harrelson, a rookie SS, pops up with the bases loaded and 1 out off former Met Al Jackson, who came back later in in his career. Harrelson really had trouble hitting righthanded at the start. Hamilton hit a good one over the fence where the picnic area would be years later to go up 4-0. Of course he then proceeded to blow the game as he was prone to do and left with the score tied in the 4th. Jackson then proceeded to blow up but Bob Shaw  blew the save and the game in the 9th. Less than a month later Hamilton was traded to the Angels for Nick Willhite. His unfortunate date with history was two months after that.

Speaking of 1967, anyone know the answer to the following question (sorry. also Mets related)

38 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Nice try.  Gotta give anyone who knows that Tommy Davis was a Met a hearty thumbs up. Although the day they traded Ron Hunt for him was a sorrowful day (another good trivia question is who were the other two players in the trade as it was a 2 for 2). Ten years later, we found out what a sorrowful trade really is ?

Answer is Chuck Hiller for the '62 Giants. Tied at 2 with 2 outs at Yankee Stadium, Hiller, a lefty hitter hit it off Marshall Bridges, a lefty reliever who had a bunch of saves for the Yankees that year. 

Hiller, a Met from mid '65 to mid '67 was known for his really bad glove (mostly 2B). Thankfully they never paired him with Dick Stuart at 1B (an even worse glove) on the right side of the infield for the'66 Mets which would have been an adventure. The Mets brought him in when Hunt (the hero of the 63-66 Mets) was run into by (trivia question for another time, was booed at Shea for the rest of his career) and went out with a separated shoulder. They platooned Hiller with Bobby Klaus until Hunt came back.

It was kinda neat that the only two NL grand slams were future Mets, albeit a has been and a never was as a Met) until '92. There have been two more since. 

Tnx. Figured it had to be either from 1960-63. Damn Yanks were in it every year. I refuse to look up stuff and try to remember stuff. Forgot all about Hiller. Great question. This has turned out to be a great thread. 

• Sympathy 1

In 1967, a film crew from the original Odd Couple movie came to Shea to film a scene before the game. Real players were used. The scene was when Felix calls Oscar in the press box to tell him that they were having hot dogs for dinner so don't have then at the ballpark. While Oscar was on the phone his back was to the field and he missed a 5-4-3 triple play. Remember that? Well, do you remember …

1.  Who was the opponent? 
  2.  Who was the batter? 
  3.  Who was the pitcher?
  4.  Who was at third, second and first in the field? 

It doesn't get more trivial than that ! 

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

Tnx. Figured it had to be either from 1960-63. Damn Yanks were in it every year. I refuse to look up stuff and try to remember stuff. Forgot all about Hiller. Great question. This has turned out to be a great thread. 

Anyone can look up answers. Playing it straight makes it a fun thread and I thank you for that. 

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Nice try.  Gotta give anyone who knows that Tommy Davis was a Met a hearty thumbs up. Although the day they traded Ron Hunt for him was a sorrowful day (another good trivia question is who were the other two players in the trade as it was a 2 for 2). Ten years later, we found out what a sorrowful trade really is ?

Guy who ran into Hunt has to be Pete Rose, right?

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

Guy who ran into Hunt has to be Pete Rose, right?

Would make sense no? Rose was around then but not hated as much as he would be after he tried to beat up Buddy Harrelson in the '73 playoffs.

The guy who did this was a little known infielder named Phil Gagliano. Too obscure for any hints but back then Hunt was the only true "all-star" the Mets had so it was a big deal. He was booed all the way through the early 70's when he was with Cincinnati, at least from the above Row J crowd.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Rose was around then but not hated as much as he would be after he tried to beat up Buddy Harrelson in the '73 playoffs.

That was the first playoff game I ever saw live.  Was there with my dad for the game with the Harrelson - Rose fight.  I think I still have the ticket stub from that game ina  scrapbook somewhere, wonder what it is worth if it is in decent condition.  And if I can find it.  Anyway, here are a couple of questions from that game.

1. With Rose on first, who hit the ground ball that started it all?

After the fight, with the Mets leading 9-2 , and Rose went out to left field, he was showered with debris from the stands.  The Mets were in danger of forfeiting the game until 5 members of the team went out to left field to urge the fans to settle down and let the game continue. 

2. Who were the 5 Mets that went out to left field to calm things down?

Also, if you are old enough to have seen the fight, you probably remember the image of Reds pitcher Pedro Borbon with a Mets players cap in his mouth tearing it apart with his teeth. 

3.Whose cap did Borbon chew on?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

That was the first playoff game I ever saw live.  Was there with my dad for the game with the Harrelson - Rose fight.  I think I still have the ticket stub from that game ina  scrapbook somewhere, wonder what it is worth if it is in decent condition.  And if I can find it.  Anyway, here are a couple of questions from that game.

1. With Rose on first, who hit the ground ball that started it all?

After the fight, with the Mets leading 9-2 , and Rose went out to left field, he was showered with debris from the stands.  The Mets were in danger of forfeiting the game until 5 members of the team went out to left field to urge the fans to settle down and let the game continue. 

2. Who were the 5 Mets that went out to left field to calm things down?

Also, if you are old enough to have seen the fight, you probably remember the image of Reds pitcher Pedro Borbon with a Mets players cap in his mouth tearing it apart with his teeth. 

3.Whose cap did Borbon chew on?

1. Joe Morgan (easy peasy, remember that Harrelson had to complete the DP and against Joe it wasn't easy)

2. In my head, I see Willie Mays, Tom Seaver and Cleon out there, I can see the scene like it was yesterday but totally blank on the other two (one was Yogi?)

3. Any Mets fan worth his salt from those days knows who Buzz Capra was. The cap was his entire contribution to Mets history, then he wins the ERA title after the Mets give him to the Braves 

Great question BTW

Very jealous of anyone who got to go to the '69 and '73 post seasons, but made up for it in spades in the '86 :)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

1. Joe Morgan (easy peasy, remember that Harrelson had to complete the DP and against Joe it wasn't easy)

2. In my head, I see Willie Mays, Tom Seaver and Cleon out there, I can see the scene like it was yesterday but totally blank on the other two (one was Yogi?)

3. Any Mets fan worth his salt from those days knows who Buzz Capra was. The cap was his entire contribution to Mets history, then he wins the ERA title after the Mets give him to the Braves 

Great question BTW

Very jealous of anyone who got to go to the '69 and '73 post seasons, but made up for it in spades in the '86 :)

Yup.  Yogi was the 4th; and Rusty Staub was the 5th.  

That game in 73 was the only postseason game I got to until 86; my wife, who I did not know at the time was at Game 6 of the 86 Series.  I went to Game 2.  Then it was another 29 years before I went to a bunch of games in 2015.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yup.  Yogi was the 4th; and Rusty Staub was the 5th.  

That game in 73 was the only postseason game I got to until 86; my wife, who I did not know at the time was at Game 6 of the 86 Series.  I went to Game 2.  Then it was another 29 years before I went to a bunch of games in 2015.

Rusty (forehead slap)

Good stuff

and now I'm tearing up thinking of games 6 & 7 at Shea … very emotional memories for a number of reasons

More questions !

Was also there in 73, went to games 3 &5 with my dad, mom went to game 4, One of the greatest moments of my life was seeing the Mets win the pennant in person with my father. My fondest hope is that one, or all three of my sons and my two grandsons can someday say that about me with either the Mets or the Jets winning the AFC title.

Back to trivia........that famous night at Shea in June, 1969, when Tom was almost perfect(f**k you, Jimmy Qualls), what Cub led off the top of the 9th by trying to bunt his way on, but it went right to Tom who threw him out?

3 hours ago, section314 said:

Was also there in 73, went to games 3 &5 with my dad, mom went to game 4, One of the greatest moments of my life was seeing the Mets win the pennant in person with my father. My fondest hope is that one, or all three of my sons and my two grandsons can someday say that about me with either the Mets or the Jets winning the AFC title.

Back to trivia........that famous night at Shea in June, 1969, when Tom was almost perfect(f**k you, Jimmy Qualls), what Cub led off the top of the 9th by trying to bunt his way on, but it went right to Tom who threw him out?

Call and raise you one Seaver question

Easy one, Randy Hundley, Dad of a future Met who shared the team HR record until last year

In April '70 in another famous Seaver game, he set a record by striking out 10 in a row against the Padres. On the list of sluggers he mowed down were such stars as Ivan Murrell, Nate Colbert, Cito Gaston  and Ramon Webster but since it was 10 in a row, one guy was the victim of the start and end of the streak. Who was he? HINT: Former Dodger; HINT#2:  Second year of the Padres so they were really bad, hence the former Dodger was not a starter for them. 

We used to do trivia daily at Shea. People used to show up with questions written out. One guy got the entire 10 in order and even called which ones were swinging and which were called. I am still amazed. 

• Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Call and raise you one Seaver question

Easy one, Randy Hundley, Dad of a future Met who shared the team HR record until last year

In April '70 in another famous Seaver game, he set a record by striking out 10 in a row against the Padres. On the list of sluggers he mowed down were such stars as Ivan Murrell, Nate Colbert, Cito Gaston  and Ramon Webster but since it was 10 in a row, one guy was the victim of the start and end of the streak. Who was he? HINT: Former Dodger; HINT#2:  Second year of the Padres so they were really bad, hence the former Dodger was not a starter for them. 

We used to do trivia daily at Shea. People used to show up with questions written out. One guy got the entire 10 in order and even called which ones were swinging and which were called. I am still amazed. 

Correct, as usual. Trying to remember old Padres and Dodgers from those days. Two guesses to start...Billy Grabarkowitz. or Willie Davis?  As far as Hundley goes, Never forget when Koosie drilled him in the black cat game after Bill Hands decked Agee.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, section314 said:

Correct, as usual. Trying to remember old Padres and Dodgers from those days. Two guesses to start...Billy Grabarkowitz. or Willie Davis?  As far as Hundley goes, Never forget when Koosie drilled him in the black cat game after Bill Hands decked Agee.

WIllie Davis … too big a star for the '70 Padres, but you get huge points for even knowing who Billy Grabarkowitz is :)

But it is not him

HINT: Power hitting (kinda) LF. Padres got him in the expansion draft. He went to the same high school as John Franco, Kevin Baez, Pete Falcone and the Aspromonte Brothers and then went to a college in the same borough. The borough once had a MLB team called the Superbas

21 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

WIllie Davis … too big a star for the '70 Padres, but you get huge points for even knowing who Billy Grabarkowitz is :)

But it is not him

HINT: Power hitting (kinda) LF. Padres got him in the expansion draft. He went to the same high school as John Franco, Kevin Baez, Pete Falcone and the Aspromonte Brothers and then went to a college in the same borough. The borough once had a MLB team called the Superbas

Only other name that comes to mind is Lou Johnson.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Only other name that comes to mind is Lou Johnson.

Answer is Al Ferrera (now THAT'S a Brooklyn name) ,,, so name the other 9 he K'd in the streak (just kidding :) )

One more Seaver question before we get back to the rest of baseball:

A Mets teammate also was a teammate in high school. Know who?

3 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Answer is Al Ferrera (now THAT'S a Brooklyn name) ,,, so name the other 9 he K'd in the streak (just kidding :) )

One more Seaver question before we get back to the rest of baseball:

A Mets teammate also was a teammate in high school. Know who?

Not sure who the teammate was, but Seaver is not the only Hall of Famer to have gone to Fresno HS.  Do you know who the other HOFer is?