Baseball Trivia

The Crimson King

On 2/12/2020 at 10:45 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep, he did!  He went 21-3 with a 2.29 ERA and 213 K's in 204 innings at Fordham and was a 1987 1st round (supplemental) pick, # 27 overall, by the Orioles.

Long Island boy, One of the Commacks I think. 

Not easy making the bigs from a small northeast school where one actually has to go to class in addition to playing a sport

They also had two hall of famers, Frankie Frisch (noted earlier in this thread) and Ed Walsh, a pitcher with the lowest career ERA in history 

Other local college players you might remember (would make a good trivia question)

Joe Sambito - Adelphi

Curt Blefary - Wagner

Allen Watson - NY Tech 

Dennis Leonard - Iona

Joe Nathan - Stony Brook

Joe Foy - Lehman

Ken Singleton - Hofstra

not that notable, just killing time by looking busy so I don't have to go help make dinner

• Sympathy 1

For the 50's it had to be someone who played the whole decade or close so that leaves out Mathews and Aaron and such
So I'm thinking a couple of ex-Mets did it
Hodges had 370 and the 50's were about it for him 
Snider had over 400 and the 50's were also his decade

Snider and Hodges are the 2! Great job!

11 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

How about Mike/Giancarlo Stanton, Albert Pujols and Miguel Cabrera? 

Not Pujols or Cabrera.  I had already guessed them (along with Mike Trout).  I was 0 for 3.  Came back with a nice 5 for 5 on the 60s though. 

Guess it is a sign that I am getting old when I remember stuff from 50+ years ago better than what happened in the last few years.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Lith said:

Not Pujols or Cabrera.  I had already guessed them (along with Mike Trout).  I was 0 for 3.  Came back with a nice 5 for 5 on the 60s though. 

Guess it is a sign that I am getting old when I remember stuff from 50+ years ago better than what happened in the last few years.

Definitely, I'm in the same boat. Turned 62 in Dec. I could tell you every present I got for my 12th, birthday, but can't remember breakfast today. You guys are kidding that Rex Ryan really coached the Jets, right??

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Lith said:

yeah, but it was better stuff :)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/11/2020 at 2:55 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Remaining unanswered:

2.  Rickey Henderson played with 15 different Hall of Famers over the course of his career (4 with OAK, 3 with NYY, 3 with TOR, 2 with SDP, 1 with ANA, 1 with BOS, 1 with SEA, 1 with NYM).  How many can you name?  You've collectively named 8 (Piazza, Gwynn, Hoffman, Edgar Martinez, Gossage, Winfield, Molitor, Morris, Pedro Martinez).  7 left to go!  

3.  I’ll give you the franchise and year, you give me the 3 players who combined for the most HR by a trio in a single season in that franchise’s history:

• Diamondbacks (1999):  2/3 Answered by @section314 - Matt Williams (35); Steve Finley (34)
  • Astros (2000):  2/3 Answered by @section314 and @Lith - Jeff Bagwell (47), Richard Hidalgo (44)
  • Angels (2000):  
  • Brewers (2007):  2/3 Answered by @Lith - Prince Fielder (50); Ryan Braun (34)
  • Blue Jays (2015):  2/3 Answered by @section314:  Josh Donaldson (41); Jose Bautista (40)

5.  In the history of the White Sox, 13 different players have hit 35+ HR in a season.  How many can you name?  You collectively named 10 of them (Belle, Thome, Thomas, Konerko, Dunn, Frazier, Ordonez, Allen, Fisk, Kittle).  3 more to go!

6.   Founded in 1859, which program is, by far (1,000+ wins), the winningest in College Baseball history?

For question #2: Ron Guidry?

For question #5: Harold Baines?  

For question 2, is the below the most updated info?

QUESTION:

Rickey Henderson played with 15 different Hall of Famers over the course of his career (4 with OAK, 3 with NYY, 3 with TOR, 2 with SDP, 1 with ANA, 1 with BOS, 1 with SEA, 1 with NYM).  How many can you name?  You've collectively named 9 (Piazza, Gwynn, Hoffman, Edgar Martinez, Gossage, Winfield, Molitor, Morris, Pedro Martinez). 

ANSWERS:

OAK (3 of 4 answered): Dave Stewart, Dennis Eckersley, Tony LaRussa  [1 left - Ricky played with him in 1984]

NYY (2 of 3 answered) : Goose Gossage, Dave Winfield [1 left - Ricky played with him in 1985]

TOR (all answered): Paul Molitor, Dave Stewart, Fred McGriff Jack Morris

SDP (all answered):  Tony Gwynn and Trevor Hoffman    

Ana (all answered): Troy Glaus

Bos (all answered): Pedro Martinez

SEA (all answered): Edgar Martinez   

NYM (all answered): Mike Piazza

2 hours ago, section314 said:

Man, I think @Lith is on to something with this short term memory stuff.?

Yup.  Ask me who won the WS in 1913, I would tell you without hesitation that the Philadelphia A's beat the Giants, but who won it in 2013, and I would have to think long and hard before guessing it was probably the Red Sox, but not certain.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

QUESTION:

Rickey Henderson played with 15 different Hall of Famers over the course of his career (4 with OAK, 3 with NYY, 3 with TOR, 2 with SDP, 1 with ANA, 1 with BOS, 1 with SEA, 1 with NYM).  How many can you name?  You've collectively named 9 (Piazza, Gwynn, Hoffman, Edgar Martinez, Gossage, Winfield, Molitor, Morris, Pedro Martinez). 

ANSWERS:

OAK (3 of 4 answered): Dave Stewart, Dennis Eckersley, Tony LaRussa  [1 left - Ricky played with him in 1984]

NYY (2 of 3 answered) : Goose Gossage, Dave Winfield [1 left - Ricky played with him in 1985]

@Jetsfan80 would need to confirm, but Troy Glaus, Dave Stewart and Fred Mcgriff are not HOFers.  They were incorrect guesses.  Glaus was answer to a different question.

27 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

QUESTION:

ANSWERS:

Managers are not included.  HOF Teammates only, so no on LaRussa!

24 minutes ago, Lith said:

@Jetsfan80 would need to confirm, but Troy Glaus, Dave Stewart and Fred Mcgriff are not HOFers.  They were incorrect guesses.  Glaus was answer to a different question.

Thanks, I updated it again below.  I still think Ron Guidy was the 1985 Yankee HOFer.  And the Anaheim answer must be Rod Carew (after thinking about it for 2 seconds)

QUESTION:

ANSWERS:

OAK (2 of 4 answered): Dave Stewart, Dennis Eckersley  [2 left - Ricky played with one in 1984]

NYY (2 of 3 answered) : Goose Gossage, Dave Winfield [1 left - Ricky played with him in 1985]

TOR (2 of 2 answered): Paul Molitor, Jack Morris 

SDP (2 of 2 answered )  Tony Gwynn and Trevor Hoffman    

ANA (0 of 1 answered )[1 left - Ricky played with him in 1987]

Bos (1 of 1 answered ? Pedro Martinez

SEA (1 of 1 answered ) Edgar Martinez   

NYM (1 of 1 answered ) Mike Piazza