Baseball Trivia

The Crimson King

I don't remember Jack Morris pitching for Toronto (but I looked it up and he did).  It seems strange to me because I remember in 1987 there being a classic season ending series between the Tigers/Blue Jays where the Tigers needed to sweep the 3 game series to qualify for the post-season.  All the games were well played and tightly contested (and IIRC, they were on national TV on Sat/Sun) but Detroit pulled it off. 

When the Tigers got to the post-season they lost (in the ALCS) to the Twins (who went on to win the World Series that year).

Interestingly, Jack Morris went on to pitch for the Twins in 1991 (where he won a World Series).  He also pitched for the Blue Jays in 1992 and 1993 (and won 2 more World Series there!)

Also, in 1987, the Tigers made a trade to acquire pitcher Doyle Alexander for the stretch run.  He pitched terrific for them (going 9-0 with an ERA of 1.53) but went 0-2 with an ERA of 10.00 in the post-season against the Twins.  Adding insult to injury, to acquire him, the Tigers also traded a young pitching prospect named John Smoltz . 

What a disaster that turned out to be for the Tigers.

https://www.vintagedetroit.com/blog/2014/06/13/final-weeks-87-season-saw-tigers-blue-jays-battle-exciting-finish/

19 hours ago, section314 said:

Definitely, I'm in the same boat. Turned 62 in Dec. I could tell you every present I got for my 12th, birthday, but can't remember breakfast today. You guys are kidding that Rex Ryan really coached the Jets, right??

you mean that guy on that TV football show?  Really? I remember the Jets' asst coach named Ryan but his first name was Buddy. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Did anyone guess Joe Morgan for one of Henderson's OAK HOF teammates. I know he played there towards at the very end of his career* but was it while Henderson was there?

* part of a fun trivia question on naming the last team certain players played on 

Joe Morgan is correct!  1984 with the A's.  

Latest update:

QUESTION:

Rickey Henderson played with 15 different Hall of Famers over the course of his career (4 with OAK, 3 with NYY, 3 with TOR, 2 with SDP, 1 with ANA, 1 with BOS, 1 with SEA, 1 with NYM).  How many can you name?  You've collectively named 9 (Piazza, Gwynn, Hoffman, Edgar Martinez, Gossage, Winfield, Molitor, Morris, Pedro Martinez). 

ANSWERS:

OAK (3 of 4 answered): Dave Stewart, Dennis Eckersley, Joe Morgan  [1 left]

NYY (2 of 3 answered) : Goose Gossage, Dave Winfield [1 left - Ricky played with him in 1985]

TOR (2 of 2 answered): Paul Molitor, Jack Morris 

SDP (2 of 2 answered): Tony Gwynn and Trevor Hoffman    

ANA (0 of 1 answered)[1 left - Ricky played with him in 1987]

Bos (1 of 1 answered): Pedro Martinez

SEA (1 of 1 answered ) Edgar Martinez   

NYM (1 of 1 answered ) Mike Piazza

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

Can anyone explain how a guy like Baines is in the Hall, but Gil Hodges, who was the answer to a different question, is not.

Probably the Ebbets Field factor.  

But he deserves to be a HOFer for his defense at 1B and managerial success alone.  Let alone his power hitting.

• Upvote 1

Latest update (though JetFan80 has to verify if I'm correct since I keep screwing this up - lol).  And does Goose Gossage really count twice?  Wouldn't that mean 14 different HOFers rather than 15?

QUESTION:

Rickey Henderson played with 15 different Hall of Famers over the course of his career (4 with OAK, 3 with NYY, 3 with TOR, 2 with SDP, 1 with ANA, 1 with BOS, 1 with SEA, 1 with NYM).  How many can you name?  You've collectively named 9 (Piazza, Gwynn, Hoffman, Edgar Martinez, Gossage, Winfield, Molitor, Morris, Pedro Martinez). 

ANSWERS:

OAK (3 of 4 answered): Goose Gossage, Dennis Eckersley, Joe Morgan, Harold Baines

NYY (3 of 3 answered) : Goose Gossage, Dave Winfield, Phil Niekro

TOR (2 of 3 answered): Paul Molitor, Jack Morris  [1 left - Ricky played with him in 1993]

SDP (2 of 2 answered): Tony Gwynn and Trevor Hoffman    

ANA (0 of 1 answered)[1 left - Ricky played with him in 1997]

BOS (1 of 1 answered): Pedro Martinez

SEA (1 of 1 answered ) Edgar Martinez   

NYM (1 of 1 answered ) Mike Piazza

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Probably the Ebbets Field factor.  

But he deserves to be a HOFer for his defense at 1B and managerial success alone.  Let alone his power hitting.

Wasn't just his defense; he was great defensively and a consistent run producer.  7 straight 100 RBI seasons.  Baines only had 3 in his entire career.  

32 minutes ago, Lith said:

Harold Baines. 

And was the other Yankee Phil Niekro; he had that one or two seasons in NY at the end of his career.

Crap - I actually thought about the Niekros.  I think both Phil and Joe Niekro were on that team.  I forgot that Phil was a HOFer.  I guess winning 300 games is a guarantee of it.

11 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Crap - I actually thought about the Niekros.  I think both Phil and Joe Niekro were on that team.  I forgot that Phil was a HOFer.  I guess winning 300 games is a guarantee of it.

Yup.  300 is one of those magic numbers -- kinda like 3,000 hits and 500 HRs.  Pretty much certain that you will get to the Hall, with those numbers.  Unless you bet on baseball, abused steroids or conspired to throw the WS.  Wonder if there will be another category for cheaters keeping some of the Astros out when their time comes.

On 2/15/2020 at 2:52 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Latest update (though JetFan80 has to verify if I'm correct since I keep screwing this up - lol).  And does Goose Gossage really count twice?  Wouldn't that mean 14 different HOFers rather than 15?

Nope, its 15 HOFers, he just played with Goose on 2 different teams, so when breaking it down by team, Goose appeared on the A's AND Yankees list.

LA, Chic and NY each have two teams. How about players that played for both teams in at least two cities?

1. Four players have played for Mets, Yankees, Cubs and White Sox. One was a pitcher named David Aardsma. Who were the other three?

Hints:

P; In the season that he was a Mets pitcher, they went 1-10 in games he pitched in and 89-62 in games without him.

OF: Led the AL in hits one year and the NL in hits the next 

3B: Was once traded straight up for Roger Maris

2. Four players have played for the Mets, Yankees, Angels and Dodgers. 

Hints:

P: lefty from Brooklyn, USA

OF: Won both gold glove and silver slugger in his career, at one time held the record for HR's in a HR derby

OF: subject of another question In this thread

3B-C-1B-DH: Once a top prospect he never panned out. Was once traded for Skip Lockwood

3. Three players played for the Angels, Dodgers, Cubs and White Sox:

Hints:

OF: lefty hitter who was more known as a Phillie, played for 20 yrs and got a lot of press from practicing off a tee 

P: Pitched in over 1,000 games and hit a HR in his first big league AB

OF-DH: Played for 18 years. Mets gave up Jim Hickman plus another player to get him

8 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

LA, Chic and NY each have two teams. How about players that played for both teams in at least two cities?

1. Four players have played for Mets, Yankees, Cubs and White Sox. One was a pitcher named David Aardsma. Who were the other three?

Hints:

P; In the season that he was a Mets pitcher, they went 1-10 in games he pitched in and 89-62 in games without him.

Hints:

OF: Won both gold glove and silver slugger in his career, at one time held the record for HR's in a HR derby

3B-C-1B-DH: Once a top prospect he never panned out. Was once traded for Skip Lockwood

Hints:

OF: lefty hitter who was more known as a Phillie, played for 20 yrs and got a lot of press from practicing off a tee 

OF-DH: Played for 18 years. Mets gave up Jim Hickman plus another player to get him

Johnny Callison

9 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Hints:

Hints:

Hints:

Lance Johnson

On 2/17/2020 at 12:17 AM, The Crimson King said:

Hints:

Clev (72-74), NYY (74-79), Cubs (79-82), CWS (83), Mets (84); 620GP, 138GS

OF: Led the AL in hits one year and the NL in hits the next : Lance Johnson @sec314

Hit 36 HR's in two years with Mets in first two years of Shea

Hints:

19 yr career, Mostly known as a Pittsburgh Pirate. All star in '77, the only year he won 20 (plus led the league n ERA)

Half of his 18 yr career was as a Phillie. lefty hitting outfielder, .291 career average, 2470 hits

too easy, no additional clue

No additional clue as there was not much to remember him by. His last name was Sudakis (how's that for a clue?)

Hints:

Hit a big HR off Ron Davis in the '81 series. Has an alliterative name.

famous knuckleballer

OF-DH: Played for 18 years. Mets gave up Jim Hickman plus another player to get him. 

A true professional hitter. Came up with the Dodgers. Played in same outfield with someone with same last name but not related. Only played 1 year with Mets and hit over .300. Traded for an important piece of the '69 team who won a gold glove with the Mets

more clues